Wichita, KS -- Nov. 26, 2007

ldyjocelyn

It may surprise you, but I actually agree with you. I will never hesitate to express my opinion about something Clay does, and I see nothing wrong with not loving everything he does. You don't have to always love everything he does to be a fan. You can say you didn't like something and not be disrespectful of Clay.

Great post, CG. Of course not everyone will love everything he does, but there is a fine line (and sometimes it's not so fine, it can be as wide as the ocean, hee, for some people) between saying you don't like someone and being disrespectful. I actually turned one cellstream off at intermission because of the mocking ridicule I was hearing - unbelievable. Not reading elsewhere is easy, but I love the cellstreams, even if they can be garbled and I can't understand what's being said. I just love being a part of it. But some of the trashing that went on during the JNT05 was disrespectful, and I was hearing the same disrespect in comments last night. Hee, I think djs111 has a better handle on it than I do, because as much as it can be same old, same old, I just can't find the humour in it.

So from Smartypantsuz on CV
The readers did get to meet Clay. He had the stories typed up on card stock and he signed them. He told them each why he picked their stories. They didn't think that Clay was there for the rehearsal but she saw him. He had a shirt or something that said Canada on it. She just got word Sunday that she would be reading it. Clay told her that no matter how slow she talked it wouldn't be too slow. She talks FAST!!! Long coat is from JNT'05! His hair was feathered and he's got the old cheekbones back. Has lost weight.

OMG be still my heart. Signs the stories? Shirt with Canada? Long jacket from the JNT05? Hair feathered? adsflj3owu8lsfjql3n543n5oiucvnvasmfsldxjvco;ui

Gibby & the rest of the FCA girls who attended tonight - thanks for representin' so well! :F_05BL17blowkiss: And thanks for uploading the clack!

May we have a moment of silence as we say a fond farewell to his hometown connection roots while welcoming the new standard of professionalism in musicality, appearance and tone of this concert. The music, arrangements, voice, sets, nice fitting suit and the girls dresses were outstanding and get a :perfect10: from me.

Awww, thanks for this. I think Clay has matured and grown as an artist SO MUCH in the past few years. It's really amazing, when you think about it.

Is it bad that I want to call in sick today, so I can stay home and listen and watch the clack as it rolls in? Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be staying unspoilered. Bad girl. Off to work I go! Ooops, but not before I go and read the blog!

Hee, I think djs111 has a better handle on it than I do, because as much as it can be same old, same old, I just can't find the humour in it.

Heh, I decided is is stupid to grant relentless negativity and look-at-meeeee crap any power.

In fact, I mentally give a little bah-da-boom! drumroll now to some stuff I read.

Hee, I think djs111 has a better handle on it than I do, because as much as it can be same old, same old, I just can't find the humour in it.

Heh, I decided is is stupid to grant relentless negativity and look-at-meeeee crap any power.

In fact, I mentally give a little bah-da-boom! drumroll now to some stuff I read.

I think that is a great attitude, if you can manage it. I hope Clay can, too.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe the blog, the blog! How great was that? But I will take my comments to main. :)

I have to agree with Luckiest1 about a cellcert where it became quite critical. My husband and son were listening in and asked what was going on, was it always like this. I switched it off and we talked about other things instead. I know it was all in fun and the object is to get laughs but it seems some have gone from criticizing Clay's performance to criticizing fans instead. I do appreciate all that they do in providing the cellcerts though and I'll continue to listen to them. Maybe I'm like the little kid seeing people fight and saying why can't we all just get along.

Personally, I am just so happy to see that he is performing with an increasingly strong voice and that I can occasionally see and hear him in person. I am not religious at all so some of that aspect will be lost on me, but I am human and can appreciate other's reactions to this religious season and their personal experiences.

Now off to get my son to the airport. :cry4:

can't figure out how you can judge a show by that!

Bwah! If you have already decided you are not gonna like the show, or that you are too cool or sophisticated to like that kind of show, or you feel as if you should somehow be entitled to design the show to suit yourself, because yourself is the bestest uber-cool superior-type fan then it is tres easy!

Really after years of this, there should be a drinking game designed around the traditionally negative comments - maybe we could post our predictions like a DWTS contest - points for nailing exact comments, points for predicting who made them. Or MAD-Libs.

Really, it has gotten so predictable it is kinda funny, some of the comments and commentators make me feel that Actual Clay disappeared a loooong time ago for them, it really is not about Clay any more, but about themselves.

Which of course is their right, but now I see the humor in the predictable reactions, and those reactions don't have much effect any more, I just find it odd that people hang around hoping Clay will morph into someone else that suits them better.

So that is why I don't think many of the happily-harsh-your-high peeps are all that into Real Clay anymore, this is some kind of weird pastime that evidently they are contractually bound to or invested in. Like scrapbookers who are kinda tired of scrapbooking, but have spent a lot of money on fancy pinking shears and stickers, they enjoy the get-togethers, but not the actual scrapbooks.

Maybe that is a natural progression of any entertainer's fan base - some fans no longer are content to watch or listen, they feel the need to direct and participate. They are more fans of themselves. JMO, after reading years of posts.

It is like feeling that one must critique every TV show, every CD offering, etc., not just pick and choose the ones you really like - yep, it is subjective, but this is a fan club, not a job. If I don't like something, I don't watch or listen, it makes no sense to do that. Unless, I guess, I somehow thought that my sensibilities were so superior that others must feel that way too. If a person is continuously unhappy with both Clay and the delusional tasteless fans who love him, there would seem to be a clue in there somewhere.

Seems to me that there are fans who really have somehow never been happy with Actual Clay at all.

Heeee....like if some of Kenny G's fans would love him best if only he would sing.That's not a rant, that's just my now-giggling reaction to the continuous and ongoing tentacle-filled Mist that seems to surround anything Clay does. Good grief, I used to think fans were people who enjoyed an entertainer in real time. I would apologise for anything I said that seems a downer criticism, but people seem to feel no need to be sorry to inflict downers on me, so I call it even.

Yay! Got my pins today, both designs are festive, thanks to all who envisioned, designed, ordered, and sent them on their merry way!

djs, I loved this entire post. It is so insightful. I think you have nailed the situation perfectly. I wish some of these folks would turn their critical vision inward once in a while.

I realize I'm imposing and being very picky but could we please have the the .mpg version of this? Thanks!!! (size matters)

:lilredani:

Anything for you, O clack goddess who has brought me so many hours of enjoyment! It's uploading now.

Thank you Bookwhore. I can't wait to meet you!! Whoot. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks, um, BHo, that is a wonderful recap.

Not so much gnashing about the prayer, since cellcert reception started out lousy and no one could tell what was happening.

God moves in mysterious ways. :-)

BWAH!

BW, I don't see how my not accepting Christ would be a deterrent to attending a Christmas concert. I love Christmas music, especially as sung by Clay, I'm not attending a sermon. Hope you don't think all of we heathens are only there for the sex, goofiness and snark because I am so much more than that. Maybe you didn't mean to phrase your last paragraph quite that way so I'll just get on and not think about it anymore.

Other than the last paragraph, I loved your recap.

Toots, I can't speak for BW, but I believe she was referring to those who get offended by religious Christmas songs and feel that a more secular concert would be their preference.

Some people really do think that any religious song sung by Clay is an arrow aimed directly at them, and not just his declaration of his own faith. Some folks prefer to only hear songs like Jingle Bells and such.

I do not get the impression that she, or anyone else here, really, is at all interested in your, or anyone else's, personal beliefs. "Accepting Christ" was not even inferred, IMO, just a content preference.

I say this as a confirmed heathen - I stopped being prickly or feeling that religious people were "preaching" at me a long time ago.

BW, I don't see how my not accepting Christ would be a deterrent to attending a Christmas concert. I love Christmas music, especially as sung by Clay, I'm not attending a sermon. Hope you don't think all of we heathens are only there for the sex, goofiness and snark because I am so much more than that. Maybe you didn't mean to phrase your last paragraph quite that way so I'll just get on and not think about it anymore.

Other than the last paragraph, I loved your recap.

Can I be you when I grow up????

I do think Clay could put a bit more effort into including more secular Christmas songs knowing a good part of his audience may not be Christian. There are plenty of beautiful secular Christmas songs out there that speak to the spirit of the season. I sometimes think that Clay just forgets there are a lot of non-Christians out there because his faith is so all encompassing. I can tolerate it at a Christmas concert, but I would prefer a bit more of a secular lean, because that would be more inclusive to his audience.

And since he's all about inclusion........

djs, actually she did make that statement. I just coast along and don't worry much about faith or lack of it but when someone points out that I probably shouldn't attend his Christmas concerts then I feel a little offended..............and actually so should you. I understand that people get caught up in their faith and that's fine but don't set the criteria for me when it comes to attending a Christmas concert.

On a lighter note, his voice was really superb, it seemed stronger. The venue must have excellent acoustics cuz my IPod is just singing.

:affection: Toots from one heathen to another. I can't speak for BW either but I'll ditto what djs just said. I think BW was responding to complaints about the prayer and the religious content of a Christmas show. It's not like Clay sprung his faith on everyone over night and has never sung religious songs at his Christmas concerts before.

Good recap BW and Gibby, you're clack is greatly appreciate, I've been playing all day.

ETA I think Clay did put thought and effort into putting secular songs into the setlist. I thought it was a good balance, didn't think it was religious heavy at all, quite the contrary.

The "all about inclusion" is one of the most overused phrases in this fandom when someone needs to grab onto something to try to prove their point. You're entitled to your opinion but mocking the guy who has busted his butt for years trying to keep such a diverse fandom happy is just not right IMO.

I think what she is saying...is that if you are the type of person to be put off by the Christian elements seriously think about attending because the show feels more reverent and spiritual in nature. I dont' think she's saying you need to be saved and filled with the spirit otherwise heathen do not attend. But your interpretation is yours. I personally think it's a wise thing to say. I think people deserve the benefit of the doubt though. But I'm starting to get how you can feel surrounded during this time of year. Unfortunately I don't know what to do about it.

Emmanuel

Away in a Manger

O Little Town of Bethlehem

Silent Night

Away in a Manger (reprise)

Mary Did You Know?

Merry Christmas With Love

STORY

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Sleigh Ride

Jingle Bells

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (reprise)

Winter Wonderland

Christmas Waltz

STORY

Who Would Imagine a King---Angela

Welcome to Our World---Clay

INTERMISSION

Oh Holy Night

Hark the Herald Angels Sing/Oh Come All Ye Faithful

STORY

I'll Be Home For Christmas

The Christmas Song

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

STORY

Where Are You Christmas---Quiana

My Grown Up Christmas List---Clay

Don't Save It All For Christmas Day

All Is Well - encore

Religious 9

Secular 12

That number may be slightly off cuz I don't know what some of those new songs are.

I just don't see how he's not being inclusive unless you want him to start singing songs from every culture. That might be fun and maybe he will do it one year. What more should he do and should he strike religious songs? It's a Christmas show....it's his background... I'm not being flippant ..just confused over what sort of Christmas show one baptist clay aiken should put on.

My stepping foot in his concerts for the past few years are the most "church" I've had in years so I'm hardly riding the highway to heaven wave.

ETA: Regarding the prayer.. I can understand that and actually did a little uh oh ..but I don't expect it in any other venue. But yeah, kinda glad the cellcert was shakey for that and there were more important things to discuss..like no banter.

I love Clay singing religious songs because he lives there and feels so much when he's singing. Never will have a problem with that...YWT is one of my all time favorites and I wish he would sing it again.

It's always interesting how our feeings interpret words. Just gotta be careful what we say and how we say it...me too!

I appreciate that you all want to soften BW's words but you don't need to. She spoke what she believed and I spoke what I believed. All is Well!!

I just don't see how he's not being inclusive unless you want him to start singing songs from every culture. That might be fun and maybe he will do it one year. What more should he do and should he strike religious songs? It's a Christmas show....it's his background... I'm not being flippant ..just confused over what sort of Christmas show one baptist clay aiken should put on.

Striking all the religious songs would work for me! ;)

Maybe it was all I had read about the reverent feeling of the show, but I didn't think the balance was there. Guess it was.

Clay should ALWAYS do what he wants. I just hope he always remembers everyone in the audience is not coming from where he is and takes that into account when planning his shows. Not to bow to their wishes, but to respect the differences and what may make them feel uncomfortable or left out. On the whole, he has pretty much done that (with the exception of YWT...).

The problem with my resolve to not download any clack from this show is I can only go by what I hear and read. Maybe I should just shut up until I see the show on Sunday.

ETA: Great! God is apparently punishing this heathen by putting me at the top of the page! <_<

I'm here with you CG but I love the top. :partygirl:

BW, you didn't have to delete anything. We are just having a spirited conversation around the last paragraph and everbody had their say. No winners or losers but surely you knew we heathens existed and would probably take exception. I really enjoyed your review so I'm sorry you deleted that part anyway.