#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

I have no interest in policing other fans (OK, I lied--I would throw the boo[e]r's ass right off the boards), but I wouldn't feel BAD if some fans decided that they are so unhappy that they found someone more to their liking. Someone they could be happy with.

I think I define "unconditional" also a bit liberally. I love my daughter unconditionally. However, I think she wears her jeans too tight, she looks better with her hair to her shoulders than too short, she should vacuum the corners of the rooms better, and she should polish her son's shoes. Do I tell her these thing?. HELLL NO!!! I respect her as an adult. She could pick my life apart if she wanted to, but she doesn't. Loving unconditionally doesn't mean being blind, just being kind.

Bravo wandacleo - just amazing! :clap:

An another note - :Tour4:

GOOD LUCK to all trying for Wichita tickets tomorrow morning! Only 85 days and counting until another Christmas tour is here!

GOOD LUCK to all trying for Wichita tickets tomorrow morning! Only 85 days and counting until another Christmas tour is here!

I say we sit in the section marked stage.

Lordy. I'm sitting here in my office on this beautiful HOLIDAY and decided that while I'm working, I could be listening to a bunch of MOAMs for my 'assignment', donchaknow....

And I'm being BLOWN AWAY by Clay's voice...He's making me stop typing and delaying my exit from this place, demmit.

So far (and I haven't listened to them all, mind you) WPB is absolutely stunning for pure vocal beauty and strength and delivery of the classic MOAM, IMO.

And Knoxville and Syracuse are so effing hot for their changeups...he really messed around with the song at these venues and I can just imagine what he looked like...just finished Knoxville and...the applause is deafening afterwards...

The man can sing. Gawd.

The Tampa fax......

I was at the bar at the hotel in WPB with Muski and my other Clay buddy (***waves to my eternally lurking friend***) pre-concert. We were enjoying a glass of wine. Someone I had never met but who knew my lurking friend came up to say hello to her. She seemed very nice and intellgent and normal,until she said "Of course you know why they were cracking down on cameras in Tampa, don't you?" Well, with great authority, she said that RCA had sent a fax to the Tampa venue demanding no cameras because Clay taking Scarlett's camera in Ft. Myers had pissed them off. Apparently he was mocking RCA? Anyway, since the powers that be at RCA apparently have nothing better to do than to monitor Clay's message boards for things they can use against him, they saw the tidbit about Clay and Scarlett's camera and sent the fax to Tampa.

When I dared to question the validity of this I was told in no uncertain terms that I was an idiot and she knew all because years ago she worked "in the industry". I started getting pissed, felt my blood start to boil, and so I went to the bar and bought another round of drinks.

And that in a nutshell is the story of the Tampa fax.

Lordy. I'm sitting here in my office on this beautiful HOLIDAY and decided that while I'm working, I could be listening to a bunch of MOAMs for my 'assignment', donchaknow....

And I'm being BLOWN AWAY by Clay's voice...He's making me stop typing and delaying my exit from this place, demmit.

So far (and I haven't listened to them all, mind you) WPB is absolutely stunning for pure vocal beauty and strength and delivery of the classic MOAM, IMO.

And Knoxville and Syracuse are so effing hot for their changeups...he really messed around with the song at these venues and I can just imagine what he looked like...just finished Knoxville and...the applause is deafening afterwards...

The man can sing. Gawd.

and he's all over the emotions scale in Orlando - it's glorious! How many times does he stop my breathing with his voice?

All.the.time.

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

Now there's my concert buddy! woohoo!! Here we go again!

Have you ever done something and then a split second later realized you shouldn't have done it but it's too late.

You mean..yet today? 'Cuz it's a daily occurrence for me. I'm just a real impulsive, impatient type of person and constantly put my foot in my mouth. What did you do? Or should I go back and read and catch up?

You know what' s so difficult about this board? On other boards with linear threads I'd just jump in at the end and not bother to try to catch up. This board, however, has such interesting exchange of thoughts that I dont want to miss anything. And by the time I catch up y'all are off on another subject..

I haven't added anything to the sparkling discussion because I have no thoughts one way or another about RCA, Clive Davis, label issues, what makes a bad fan, DJ's, late-night talk show hosts, what direction he should take with the next CD, what other celebrities have to say about him or any of that kind of thing. I used to, but Clay has shown me he really doesn't need me to worry for him. He just needs me to fill a seat in a concert hall and buy his CD's, and I'm more than willing to do that to the extent my pocketbook and husband will allow.

Now I'm going to hit 'add reply' and find that the discussion has moved on to CAGHC or rivets or pelvic thrusts or sumpin'. *g*

Edited by Bookwhore

I think those at sites like Chexxxxy's who "outed" fans they believed weren't "good" fans because they entertained the notion that Clay could be gay and that much of the crap might be true are much more harmful to Clay's career than those they "outed" especially since most of those "outed" also said they still loved Clay and would continue to support him. Plus, I think they over-stepped the bounds of decency and acted in a way that I feel sure would have made Clay cringe. If anyone should be booted from the fandom (or criminally prosecuted, but that's just my opinion), it should be them.

But then again, they claimed to have Clay's best interests at heart too.

Catching up and I just had to agree with you on this.

Oh yeah, and ... :DoClay:

Excellent idea!!!! I'll sit there, too. Right between Angela and Clay. :cryingwlaughter:

ENOUGH! I'm outta here!

Older daughter's at a movie at our little local theater that's set up like the one in Gilmore Girls! Sofas and comfy chairs, small like a big living room...

Younger daughter's at a block party at a friend's house....

I'm gonna meet hubby at home and try to find something...fun...to do :whistling-1:

what. I'm talking about maybe taking Shadow for a long walk together.

You guys are jest durrrrty. :rolleyes:

And oh yes...the "Tampa Fax"....I have to say just how extremely PROUD I was of Claygasm that night. I KNEW she wanted to flatten that woman and her extreme readiness to do so did slip into her tone a bit, but then she just disappeared....and came back with more booze for us (but not for the FaxFuckFool, of course). Who said alcohol can't solve any problems? :cryingwlaughter: I didn't feel troubled after the wine!

All in all, though, that night at the hotel bar was a hoot and a half! It was karaoke night and obviously there were some regulars on the scene. I must admit to just a leeetle bit of absurd-looking dancing, but what was I to do? Spotlightlover grabbed my hand and starting leading in a rowdy and bawdy jitterbug! Who was I to deny her? :lilredani:

Okay...off to enjoy what's left of the 'holiday'!

Oh, and I'm not only buying whatever Clay's selling, but I'll buy whatever Scarlett decides to package (heh) and sell, too! :hubbahubba: And I'm patient, too....

sortalike.

The Tampa fax......

I was at the bar at the hotel in WPB with Muski and my other Clay buddy (***waves to my eternally lurking friend***) pre-concert. We were enjoying a glass of wine. Someone I had never met but who knew my lurking friend came up to say hello to her. She seemed very nice and intellgent and normal,until she said "Of course you know why they were cracking down on cameras in Tampa, don't you?" Well, with great authority, she said that RCA had sent a fax to the Tampa venue demanding no cameras because Clay taking Scarlett's camera in Ft. Myers had pissed them off. Apparently he was mocking RCA? Anyway, since the powers that be at RCA apparently have nothing better to do than to monitor Clay's message boards for things they can use against him, they saw the tidbit about Clay and Scarlett's camera and sent the fax to Tampa.

When I dared to question the validity of this I was told in no uncertain terms that I was an idiot and she knew all because years ago she worked "in the industry". I started getting pissed, felt my blood start to boil, and so I went to the bar and bought another round of drinks.

Excuse my stupidity, but how in the world was Clay taking Scarlett's camera "mocking" RCA?? I guess I'm thick.

She sounds charming - not.

eta: I guess getting another round of drinks was better than decking her - I don't know if I would have such restraint. :)

Edited by canuck2010

Excuse my stupidity, but how in the world was Clay taking Scarlett's camera "mocking" RCA?? I guess I'm thick.

She sounds charming - not.

Canooky, I don't think you're stupid at all. The mocking RCA part is what's stupid.

I've decided that I'm not gonna feel :Tour4: until tomorrow morning when I'm trying for tickets. Nope, not gonna stress about tickets today at all. I have two teenaged daughters, and they are quite enough stress for me today.

Here's what I'd rather feel:

SRHP2007_PhillyPA_071707_SLC_PreWIS.jpg

Edited by Gibby

Spotlightlover grabbed my hand and starting leading in a rowdy and bawdy jitterbug! Who was I to deny her? :lilredani:

BWAHahee! I can so picture that! :lol:

That damn Scarlett... always getting people in trouble. :cryingwlaughter:

You'll all be thrilled to know... I have picked 2 quarts of grapes and barely made a dent in the vine. Wee. Now I just have to figure out how to get the seeds out! Thanks for the recipes, liney!

ETA: since no one has posted yet - I guess the fact that I was holed up here for the past year makes a difference. I tried to venture out but came back quickly and you couldn't pay me to read the OFC. But yep Play, you hit on everything that chased me here. But although loud, I believe these represent a very teeeeny part of the fandom. I've always enjoyed the wild, wooly, even contentious nature of the fandom.

I have concluded that for me personally, the best action that I can to take to support Clay and his career at this time is to not renew my membership in the coming weeks to his OFC.

Gibby thank you and if you ever have the time I would love for you to share your general take on Jesse's effort in respect to the orchestra arrangements for An Evening With Clay Aiken. Honestly, I am not certain if you posted your thoughts on the board as threads are flying and I perhaps missed your commentary. And as to not interrupt the flow of the current discussions...a PM would be fabu...

And to you and keepingfaith, my avie is Morrison.

Ansamcw I am with you...they can do it without me. I rarely express my thoughts publically about the fandom. But, today...I just felt the need to state my piece/peace.

playbiller You are good people..... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

lightmyfire I'm so sorry you feel that not re-joining OFC would be supporting Clay. I can't sign up fast enough.

I may not like the MB for the most part but I just love, love, love his blogs and love being able to post occasional words of support to him. Plus, I want one of those cozy M&G's in the years to come. Gah! I can't imagine how much fun that would be. I also visit the "Tour" threads for helpful information. I found them great during SPHR for tips. I would prefer him to shut down most of the MB because it gives me a headache if I ever go there and I'd love it if they would add some kickass videos or maybe a "member's only" downloadable single. That would be so cool.

I also get embarassingly giddy when the signup pack arrives in the mail. :)

Hey lightmyfire - that's so great that you have made peace. I have no problem with joining OFC because I rarely go there - only to read Clay's blogs. But if that is the thing that is sapping your joy then there's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other ways to enjoy the fandom and support Clay.

I was thinking about some of what I read to day - and I appreciate every opinion - because everyone has had a different experience so have a different perspective. I know what Claygasm went though. Someone mentioned nasty PMs. I've never experienced that but I know Ansa experienced, if not nasty, someone trying to browbeat her out of expressing her opinion. Now ya'll know Ansa. She is sensible. She is not extreme. She is respectful. So why not be able to post that opinion even if was at odds with the majority. And to be told well if you knew what I know or if you've ever wondered why this person or that person or this person is stating the same things? I'm like who the hell cares. This person and that person's opinion, although they may think they are experts are no more important to me than a person who lurks and never posts an opinion. It's not like those people are without bias or want something very specific for Clay and I may have a totally different reaction to the same set of news. So I get the anger of those that jumped in with both feet at OFC or those that have to use the scroll bar constantly.

Loved the convo today.

Play, I keep thinking about what you posted and it's the thing I identify with most of what I read today. Thanks for that.

lightmyfire I'm so sorry you feel that not re-joining OFC would be supporting Clay. I can't sign up fast enough.

I may not like the MB for the most part but I just love, love, love his blogs and love being able to post occasional words of support to him. Plus, I want one of those cozy M&G's in the years to come. Gah! I can't imagine how much fun that would be. I also visit the "Tour" threads for helpful information. I found them great during SPHR for tips. I would prefer him to shut down most of the MB because it gives me a headache if I ever go there and I'd love it if they would add some kickass videos or maybe a "member's only" downloadable single. That would be so cool.

Yes!! I can't imagine not being able to read those sweet snarky blogs. They tell me so much about what goes on inside Clay's head. I love that. PLUS, I won a M&G, so I'm grateful to OFC for life. Those few minutes were worth any shit I might have to put up with on OFC. LOL.

Actually, I think the OFC is a lot better since the shutdown; I have learned to ignore those members who push my buttons and to stay out of threads that I know are going to annoy me big time...may not leave a lot of threads to read, but there are a lot of good people there and some good discussions.

In the last year I have also looked at my own behavior and have come to the realization that lurking is at times best for me because I do have a tendency to be way too critical and tact is not my friend. But I enjoy reading everyone's opinion.

Kim

*sputters as all coherent thought flies out of my head* Ahem, you were saying?

*nods knowingly* The Tampa fax, ah, yes, I know of which you speak. As if RCA doesn't have anything better to do.

Oh, man, I can't stop looking at Clay's torse. I used to be all about the shoulders, but his torso has overtaken my shoulder fascination. Guh, what a picture. It's now my desktop wallpaper so I can stare at it for all eternity. Damn that tee shirt for being in the way.

That picture just cries out for a little addition:

S.jpg

God, I love you bottlecap. You always make me laugh. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

You're me! I cannot tolerate the message board at the OFC. The few times I was there, I knew it wasn't the place for me. but there is so, so much more to that fan club than the message board. We did get a few cool videos this past year; we've had a few cool audio messages; and his blogs are worth every penny to me, even if it is just a "isn't the media silly for placing my name as a potential Senator?" And the fan club will be my best bet for ever getting a M&G *crosses fingers and all toes* Another thing: someone mentioned earlier today that Clay talked in a M&G about being a fan by buying his stuff, "even if it is crap." Maybe I'm make a jump in logic here, but it kinda works the same way with the fanclub too. I've got my credit card out and ready to type in that number as soon as they tell me to. But lightmyfire and others who feel that way....that's fine. I can understand.

Wonderful discussion today (again -- I love it when fresh meat new blood add something new to things around here!). I think the whole "what is a fan" thing is one of the hardest things I've had to learn in the past few years. I honestly wanted some people to just up and leave too...but then I started to think of it a bit differently. First of all, I realized that these people didn't probably matter to Clay at all. Oh, I'm sure he knows of some of the major complainers (see: Orlando show), but he probably also doesn't give them the time of day when it comes to what he personally does with his life and his career. He's never been one lately to let others influence him that much IMO. Also, I realized that my uncomfort with the way other fans react to Clay is exactly that: MY uncomfort. I didn't like what they were doing because it was influencing MY thoughts and feelings. When I learned to let that go (and I have to admit that I don't do that nearly as often as I like to admit), I'm much happier. And, as YSRN says, some people just are seemingly unhappy people. They really are happy, they just have a very different way to show it.

I'm not critical of Clay, for the most part. But that does NOT mean I can't be good friends with someone that doesn't like his hair on a particular day, or thinks he hit a bad note or two, or thinks that a decision he made regarding his career wasn't the best. As long as the respect is there between the two opinions, it's all good. I've met several people on this board, and we don't agree on everything. I wouldn't want it any other way.

And in the time I composed this, 15 other people came along and said more wonderful things. God, I love this place....

...except that I now have the shame honor of being at the top of the page....again....

I have concluded that for me personally, the best action that I can to take to support Clay and his career at this time is to not renew my membership in the coming weeks to his OFC.

lightmyfire, I'm confused. Please understand that I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, I'm just confused as how you view membership at the OFC as a means of supporting or not surrporting his career?

I never thought about it in that way. I'm totally selfish in that I joined OFC strictly for what I can get out of it. I like the blogs, the presale information, I love getting to see Clay's vacation pictures when he chooses to show them to us (alas, no pics from Brazil), and I love those little audio holiday greetings that are incredibly dorky, yet endearing . I stay away from the MB mostly, becoss it skeers me. I don't see it as a means of supporting his career. Is there something about OFC that I'm missing?

Edited by Bookwhore

lightmyfire, I'm confused. Please understand that I'm not trying to put you on the defensive, I'm just confused as how you view membership at the OFC as a means of supporting or not surrporting his career?

I never thought about it in that way. I'm totally selfish in that I joined OFC strictly for what I can get out of it. I like the blogs, the presale information, I love getting to see Clay's vacation pictures when he chooses to show them to us (alas, no pics from Brazil), and I love those little audio holiday greetings that are incredibly dorky, yet endearing . I stay away from the MB mostly, becoss it skeers me. I don't see it as a means of supporting his career. Is there something about OFC that I'm missing?

The OFC does not fit me and I don't fit the OFC. Having stated that... :allgood:

The Tampa fax......

I heard the Tampa fax story outside the venue an hour (or two?) before this and the telephone game was still at the part I bolded:

"RCA had sent a fax to the Tampa venue demanding no cameras"

I'm guessing that the embellishment involving me was added after that, perhaps by someone who overheard my conversation and presumed the rest.

keepingfaith, yes, I was in Interlochen and yes, Claycub took the entire thing on my big camera. Why do you ask? *g* You know you'll never get your Frisco and WPB clack with the way this is going.

Edited by Scarlett

Just to add my two cents. I also heard the Tampa fax story in the busline. But it was a two-parter when I heard it. First, that RCA had sent a fax to the venue to crack down on cameras, and then a fax to Clay forbidding him to use the "I'm not cool" banter before the Classics section. He hadn't done the "I'm not cool" bit that night so I guess a conspiracy was in order! *g* But ... he did do it the next night so I didn't hear that one again! The person that related the story to the busline wasn't getting a lot of takers. Mostly people saying "I don't believe that crap." The source was identified as "someone very confidential" of course.

Anyway, I was pleased to notice that overall the fans around me vocally ridiculed these "rumors" as the same old "anonymous inside source" bullshit. I think there are fans than wonder down strange paths and back. I also think there are people who knowingly and intentionally try to lead fans down these strange paths. I don't consider those people fans. A person who involves herself in the fandom with a heavy, driven, personal agenda is, bottom line, just a little off. Or a whole lot off. But off, nevertheless.

Edited by keepingfaith