#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

The Tampa fax......

I was at the bar at the hotel in WPB with Muski and my other Clay buddy (***waves to my eternally lurking friend***) pre-concert. We were enjoying a glass of wine. Someone I had never met but who knew my lurking friend came up to say hello to her. She seemed very nice and intellgent and normal,until she said "Of course you know why they were cracking down on cameras in Tampa, don't you?" Well, with great authority, she said that RCA had sent a fax to the Tampa venue demanding no cameras because Clay taking Scarlett's camera in Ft. Myers had pissed them off. Apparently he was mocking RCA? Anyway, since the powers that be at RCA apparently have nothing better to do than to monitor Clay's message boards for things they can use against him, they saw the tidbit about Clay and Scarlett's camera and sent the fax to Tampa.

When I dared to question the validity of this I was told in no uncertain terms that I was an idiot and she knew all because years ago she worked "in the industry". I started getting pissed, felt my blood start to boil, and so I went to the bar and bought another round of drinks.

And that in a nutshell is the story of the Tampa fax.

I heard the Tampa fax story outside the venue an hour (or two?) before this and the telephone game was still at the part I bolded:

"RCA had sent a fax to the Tampa venue demanding no cameras"

I'm guessing that the embellishment involving me was added after that, perhaps by someone who overheard my conversation and presumed the rest.

keepingfaith, yes, I was in Interlochen and yes, Claycub took the entire thing on my big camera. Why do you ask? *g* You know you'll never get your Frisco and WPB clack with the way this is going.

Hee! It makes for a much better story to make it a nefarious plot to get back at Clay for what he did with your camera!

By the way, I was told that part when I asked if RCA didn't want cameras so much that they would go to the trouble of faxing a venue, why did they wait until the 3rd to last show? That is when I was told it was because they were pissed at Clay for taking your camera!

In retrospect, it cracks me up because I have this vision of the suits at RCA huddled around their computers after each of Clay's concerts watching the clack as it pours in just looking for something they can use against him! :cryingwlaughter:

Just to add my two cents. I also heard the Tampa fax story in the busline. But it was a two-parter when I heard it. First, that RCA had sent a fax to the venue to crack down on cameras, and then a fax to Clay forbidding him to use the "I'm not cool" banter before the Classics section. He hadn't done the "I'm not cool" bit that night so I guess a conspiracy was in order! *g* But ... he did do it the next night so I didn't hear that one again! The person that related the story to the busline wasn't getting a lot of takers. Mostly people saying "I don't believe that crap." The source was identified as "someone very confidential" of course.

:cryingwlaughter: The bolded part just CMSU!!

And it also cracks me up RCA is faxing people. No email. No phone calls. Faxes.

It is just sad anyone believes these kind of things!

In retrospect, it cracks me up because I have this vision of the suits at RCA huddled around their computers after each of Clay's concerts watching the clack as it pours in just looking for something they can use against him! :cryingwlaughter:
Truly funny. Especially since Clay told a M&G that he didn't think RCA knew that the OFC even exists.

You were approached with that story. I was approached with that story. Certainly seems like somebody was serious about getting some RCA bashing into the fan buzz. Awwww, it must have been so disappointing when it fizzled. :clap:

It's inevitable that people on opposite ends of the fandom spectrum (in it for sheer entertainment vs. in it to support the artist/band/team) are going to clash when thrown together. I think that's what happens on the boards when the two extremes collide... just like in anything in life, I suppose.

If there was a fax (heh), it obviously didn't do any good since there's a shitload of clack. I just laughed my ass off at the "be proud of your instrument" banter before TWYMMF.

And a hearty "no shit" to this:

A person who involves herself in the fandom with a heavy, driven, personal agenda is, bottom line, just a little off. Or a whole lot off. But off, nevertheless.
Fucking crazy mofos if you ask me. :lol:

...except that I now have the shame honor of being at the top of the page....again....
:cryingwlaughter:

Truly funny. Especially since Clay told a M&G that he didn't think RCA knew that the OFC even exists.

You were approached with that story. I was approached with that story. Certainly seems like somebody was serious about getting some RCA bashing into the fan buzz. Awwww, it must have been so disappointing when it fizzled. :clap:

What amazes me is that this is the first I've heard about it. I am slippin!!!! Thought I knew everything - I spend enough of my free time on this damn computer - no reason that I shouldn't know everything. :medium-smiley-070:

What a fun day!!! I've accomplished absolutely ZERO!!! Great tennis, great golf and fun reads here! What a perfect way to spend Labour Day!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm completely confused as to why anyone thinks RCA would care about people taping Clay OR that he says he's not cool. And WHY would someone be privy to a fax anyway? I'm so sorry that I missed out on this at Tampa! I would have loved to put that gossip-carrier through the 3rd degree. LOL.

Okay, am I the only one who keeps reading "Tampa fax" as Tampax? :cryingwlaughter:

(I never heard this story either.)

Kim

What amazes me is that this is the first I've heard about it. I am slippin!!!! Thought I knew everything - I spend enough of my free time on this damn computer - no reason that I shouldn't know everything. :medium-smiley-070:

What a fun day!!! I've accomplished absolutely ZERO!!! Great tennis, great golf and fun reads here! What a perfect way to spend Labour Day!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Well it makes my day that this wasn't all over the boards. I didn't read anything on the messageboards until about Wednesday of the next week, and then the talk was all about booing. I think there was some heavy karmic activity going on in Florida. That the fax story didn't spread around is a victory for the sane.

The Tampa fax......

Thanks for the clarification!....and can you hear my eyeballs rolling back in my head from over there?

lightmyfire I'm so sorry you feel that not re-joining OFC would be supporting Clay. I can't sign up fast enough.

I may not like the MB for the most part but I just love, love, love his blogs and love being able to post occasional words of support to him. Plus, I want one of those cozy M&G's in the years to come. Gah! I can't imagine how much fun that would be. I also visit the "Tour" threads for helpful information. I found them great during SPHR for tips. I would prefer him to shut down most of the MB because it gives me a headache if I ever go there and I'd love it if they would add some kickass videos or maybe a "member's only" downloadable single. That would be so cool.

I also get embarassingly giddy when the signup pack arrives in the mail. :)

Can't snip a durn thing. Must be a Canadian thing, as we're apparently related.

Oh, man, I can't stop looking at Clay's torse. I used to be all about the shoulders, but his torso has overtaken my shoulder fascination. Guh, what a picture. It's now my desktop wallpaper so I can stare at it for all eternity. Damn that tee shirt for being in the way.

Heee.....do you suppose at some point there'll be a GIANT ex-hale and all our screensavers will explode?? :RedGuy:

keepingfaith, yes, I was in Interlochen and yes, Claycub took the entire thing on my big camera. Why do you ask? *g* You know you'll never get your Frisco and WPB clack with the way this is going.

I will not be impatient for Claycub and Scarlett's Motown clack.

I will not be impatient for Scarlett's West Palm Beach clack.

I will not be impatient for Scarlett's Frisco clack.

Patience is a bitch.

Edited by keepingfaith

Tampax....Tee Hee Hee.

I'm a relative virgin so don't have any idea that people like this crazy fucking woman, over invested fan exist. Not much of a stretch to figure out why all the crazy ass rumors float around. From your descriptions of her behavior it sounds like she really is sort of crazy. A little scary?

I think that boy has been working out because his torso just couldn't look like that with weight gain. Do you think? Jeez, with that torso and the attached package....he's is just so HOT!

I'm home! :RedGuy:

First off, playbiller, I loved that list of your wishes for the fandom. Great post.

Couchie I understand your feelings about Clay needing his fans, but I do find I disagree a little about his needing ALL of his current fans, because I'm just not sure someone IS a fan if that person constantly criticizes and complains about Clay, his team, his choices, his CDs, his behavior, etc. It seems to me that person is a fan of some imaginary person whom he/she has created, not Clay.

Most of Clay's fan whom I know are actually NOT on the message boards, so we are a little microcosm here--not necessarily representative of the whole. I think that if a few of the "fans" moved on, others would take their place, and maybe some of the dialogs would be healthier and some new fans might feel more welcome. Let's face it--most people want to be a fan to celebrate. Not to boo or pick apart. And, while I appreciate their right to do that, I don't like to participate (or observe).

I think of all the great opinions that have been posted on the subject of fans today, this most closely mirrors mine. I respect everyone's right to define their own fandom, and I'm not gonna call anyone a "good" fan or a "bad" fan. But I also believe that there are some people who hang on long after their "joy" has gone, for whatever reasons. Maybe because they have created a place for themselves in the online fandom, and don't want to let it go. Maybe because they have made so many friends in the fandom that they feel that they would lose them if they let it go. For the life of me, I don't understand why some people continue to hang around when 99.9% of what Clay does either disappoints them or saddens them or pisses them off, when undoubtedly there are other artists out there who more closely resemble everything they want Clay to be. But hey, it's their right to stay, just as much as it's also mine to avoid/ignore them. I used to try to reason with them but I've given that shit up because it's just not worth my time. :eusa_whistle:

I was e-mailing Rockysmom yesterday. We're going to four Christmas concerts. We are also very lucky that we live in Clay Land. She told me to stop her from going to Poughkeepsie, so I e-mailed her, 'Don't go to Poughkeepsie'. Then I watched this special on PBS about Bethlehem Steel and it's demise. The very end focused on an old steel worker walking out on his deck and overlooking the silent steel mills. His parting words: "I never thought this would happen but it's gone and it's never coming back". So I told her to GO! Go see Clay as many times as she can because some day, God forbid, he may not be there anymore to see.

Awww, I loved this, and it's how I feel too. I crammed 7 shows in this summer even though it was tough financially, and I'm already booked for 2 this Christmas and am considering 2 more, even though the Visa is maxed, the roads may be closed and the weather may be sucky. I just know that one day, hopefully in the distant, distant future, I'll be kicking myself for not going to just.one.more.show.

I think I define "unconditional" also a bit liberally. I love my daughter unconditionally. However, I think she wears her jeans too tight, she looks better with her hair to her shoulders than too short, she should vacuum the corners of the rooms better, and she should polish her son's shoes. Do I tell her these thing?. HELLL NO!!! I respect her as an adult. She could pick my life apart if she wanted to, but she doesn't. Loving unconditionally doesn't mean being blind, just being kind.

Loved this, too. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

lightmyfire I'm so sorry you feel that not re-joining OFC would be supporting Clay. I can't sign up fast enough.

I may not like the MB for the most part but I just love, love, love his blogs and love being able to post occasional words of support to him. Plus, I want one of those cozy M&G's in the years to come. Gah! I can't imagine how much fun that would be. I also visit the "Tour" threads for helpful information. I found them great during SPHR for tips. I would prefer him to shut down most of the MB because it gives me a headache if I ever go there and I'd love it if they would add some kickass videos or maybe a "member's only" downloadable single. That would be so cool.

I also get embarassingly giddy when the signup pack arrives in the mail. :)

Wheeee, me too! I just figure that the MB is optional, not mandatory. I can enjoy all the good things the OFC has to offer (blogs, audio messages, pictures, m&g's, contests, etc) without even clicking on that Community link. ;)

Sooooo, I listened to ATDW yesterday in it's entirety, for the first time since the tour began. Hee, I've been kind of addicted to live clack since then. But I honestly teared up when BYLM came on, and then I was surprised when the album didn't end there! :cryingwlaughter: And then today I heard those awesome iTunes interviews....you know, the 5 part ones? And the one that starts with a snippet of Broken Wings came on, and listening to Clay's enthusiasm about that recording and the poem his friend wrote, and then hearing her say it at the end of the song, and him telling her to say "A Thousand Different Ways" at the end just put the biggest grin on my face. I love listening to him talk when he's excited. And I am totally looking forward to whatever he records this time around, no matter what genre it ends up being, no matter if it's ballads or more upbeat or uptempo.....I'm pretty easy when it comes to the VOX. But the more I think about it, the more I don't think it's gonna be particularly uptempo. While I think Clay loves doing that kind of stuff in concert, because it is a way for him to liven things up and move around and get the audience on their feet, I'm still not convinced he wants to record those kinds of songs. Upbeat, yes, I totally think he leans in that direction. But the man knows his voice is good, and he likes to showcase it, and IMO that usually means slower tempo songs. JMO, and hell, I could be totally off base.

Oh, and I can't remember who mentioned this the other day, but I had my iPod on shuffle all the way home today (3.5 hours) and the live version of TITN from Good Morning America (2003) came on. That is still my absolute favourite live version of that song....he hits one pure note in the middle that just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and then he goes low at the end instead of high. Just gorgeous audio. Makes me want to dig up that video and go watch it again.

*waves* to Scarlett. So, when you say "uploading", do you mean to the vaults, or to your own media site?

Edited by luckiest1

I also don't think being over zealous or waaaaaay too nosey, or trying to run Clay's career or make a statement in Clay's behalf even when you weren't asked and other such things makes you a bad fan and good riddance to them. It annoys the hell out of me and I think in the end they do more harm than good, but I also believe they believe they are helping Clay.
I agree completely with your sentiment, although my list of annoying habits might differ a little from yours.

I have no problem with this. I guess my main concern is that going down a "what is a fan" slope is one that is very very slippery indeed so I tend not to go there at all.
Couchie is wise.

I did, momentarily, make someone's good fan list during the same week as someone else's bad fan list. I'm thankful to the folks who got me off the bad fan list (And a nasty piece of work that list was, too.), but I appreciated the surreal humor, all the same.

lightmyfire you are never alone in this fandom. I won't be rejoining the OFC either. I liken rejoining to being an enabler. I refuse to enable anymore. One year of know it all idiots ruining my fandom is enough. No I am not saying all members of OFC are know it all idiots. I really don 't feel I have to be a member of Clay's fan club to support him. I can send my $30.00 to BA/F. I can support his concerts and cd sales and TV shows. However, no way am I supporting anything that gives legs to that message board or enables it's serial posters, of conspiracy theories-RCA/Clive hate-OC bashers-cd bashers, and doom & gloom, to continue to thrive. Thank you very much. The way I look at it, if I have to put 3/4ths of the regular posters on ignore and have no respect for the administration or the staff, then what's the point of being there? Seriously? His message board is an embarrassment to him. Truly, the thought of new fans showing up there and reading makes me ill for Clay. It is where you will find some of the poorest representation of his fans. Yes they're some good people there but they are overshadowed by the ones that are not.

Honestly? I got more out of the m&g sessions with this tour than I ever got out of Clay's blogs. When is the last time they had a contest, or posted any video or new pics? Seriously? I love Clay and want to support him as much as the next guy but I don't see how continuing to purchase a membership to a place I don't enjoy sends the right message. It is the last place you will get the Clay news. His blogs and even people's posts are copied and posted to every secret forum on every fan board out there. It's not like you will miss out on a blog. The store service is an embarrassment. You have no recourse for legitimate complaints. The sending in of a complaint ticket is a joke. Let's be honest here. I truly think it is a shame that one of the most potential marketing tools for Clay Aiken has been totally ignored by it's benefactor. If Clay can not show any interest in it then why should I? End of rant..............Sorry. Guess I'm not having a good weekend.

A person who involves herself in the fandom with a heavy, driven, personal agenda is, bottom line, just a little off. Or a whole lot off. But off, nevertheless.

Fucking crazy mofos if you ask me. laugh.gif

I agree. Fruitcakes. Clay sure has his share of them............... :cryingwlaughter:

I agree with both couchie and lightmyfire's take on the fans. Most are harmless but the few that are not sure know how to make the most noise and cause the most damage to Clay. I don't believe in fan policing but I sure as hell would love to see the fans that have caused such havoc for Clay's career and caused him to lose fans, leave and never come back. I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around. :fca:

Oh my hubby just arrived back from his trip for his class reunion. So have a good evening all. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Edited by Clayzorback

Good God! I thought this was a nice slow moving place where I could keep up. Gone for a couple of days and find I missed all kinds of stuff. I had all these special quotes saved that I was gonna respond but then I lost them and, really, it's for the best. This post will probably be long and boring and interminable enough. :cryingwlaughter: A couple of things though -

…The uploads are getting done mainly to support the wizardry and magic of goldarngirl and luckiest1. They're creating a Best-of-Atlantic City that I'm sure will be absolutely stunning and amazing (my definition, not Clay's), just like all their other "Best-of-XXX" Series.

There's a "Best of XXX" series???? Oh dear god. ...heads off to hide in a corner...

(I can't find that rofl emoticon that I am used to and I've already written one thing here that was meant to be snark that someone took as serious. I need to study the emoticons next.)

Fans? I don't think I've ever played the "good fan" and "bad fan" game. I'm pretty sure even the most annoying posters are fans. I happen to think some of them are fucking nuts though.

But maybe that's just me. Never did get why, if you're a such a huge fan of Clay that you spend hours and hours on Clay message boards, almost all of your posts are devoted to constant and, at times, venomous criticism of everything he does. Unless you're a famewhore. oh

On another note - I am catching up on clack watching. I just finished watching scarlett's TV Medley video from Ft. Myers. This video has everything I love about Clay Aiken. I highly recommend it.

Wow, lots of interesting posts in the last couple of days. I don't think I can add much that hasn't been already said by others and more eloquently than I ever could.

I will add one thing about re-joining the fan club. As soon as they announce you can renew I will be there! I will not be re-upping to support Clay or for the message board, but for the feeling I get when I see the words "He Blogged"! I click on the link quicker than you could ever possibly imagine. I get such a rush being able to actually read what he posts that to me that is worth far more than any dollar amount! I cannot explain it but I don't want to give that feeling up.

I know, it sounds really stupid but I guess that's as good reason as any.

OH MY GOD - YSRN brought up Kirk Gibson - and reminded me of the single worst sports moment of my life? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

I understand your pain couchie (you too YSRN) as only a fellow sports fan can. Drew Pearson singlehandedly ruined my childhood. Crushed my dreams. Awakened the cynic in my soul. And most of all taught me to never, ever trust a man who wears a star on his head.

I do like the analogy tho. May help me deal with the RCA haters. RCA is THEIR Drew Pearson. hmmm.

I started getting pissed, felt my blood start to boil, and so I went to the bar and bought another round of drinks.

See your sooooo much nicer than I am. I'd of laughed in her f'in face and told her why. Sometimes the passive in my passive/agressive just falls away and I'm plain ol' agressive/agressive. But drinks are good in any case. Hee.

In the last year I have also looked at my own behavior and have come to the realization that lurking is at times best for me

Yep...me too. I've sure learned to scroll with the best of them. *g* At the very least...I know who pushes my buttons and I try to stay far far away.

---

Been gone all day. DD and I shopped. My other favorite sport. I won. :cryingwlaughter:

But I also got to have lunch with Son#1 and Son#2 (the runner) called and I FINALLY had someone to squeeee over Bernard Lagat with. He was as giddy as I was. Such dorks we are.

I will be rejoining the fanclub too. Just for the blogs - and if he does the M&G in the same format next time as he did this time, for the opportunity to not win a M&G! After the notorious album thread, I rarely venture onto the message board, but if I do I do so with my eyes wode open. I know what to expect and if it upsets me, I only have myself to blame.

But I would hate to see the words "He blogged" and have no where to go.......

I like the OFC...like you Kim, I think it has improved a lot. I really enjoy many of the posters there. It was great fun talking with all the new fans who were seeing Clay for the first time this summer. There are so many people there just finding Clay..I love sharing their excitement and enthusiasm. It is just a message board and there will be things I don't enjoy about it. If it isn't fun I leave. I pretty much do that on all the boards I visit, and I visit many. I personally don't feel the need for a homeboard and really enjoy having friends from all over. I love doing my TBAF thing on CV...it's a great board full of neat people. Most of the boards are, I think.

I don't think any of the people posting on the message boards are harming Clay's career--after all it's only the internet. We are such a small percentage of Clay's fans and most people will never hear about all the drama. They will just buy a Cd and attend a concert and never even check out a message board. And some people just like to grouse about things on the internet. It is just a fun activity for them, but does it matter anywhere else? I don't ever go to the store or the dentist office and have somebody say "Hey , did you see what crap Claysyummymummyforever2me has been saying." (and I swear if that is an actual screenname I will apologize and eat my hat) :cryingwlaughter: I enjoy being an internet fan and intend to stay one---but I also enjoy my time with non-internet fans. It's a totally different experience, and I enjoy the different perspective.

I'll rejoin the OFC, I won a M&G during the JBT and that was way cool, I love Clay's blogs, whatever he wants to chat about and I'm happy with what my $30 gets me. I'm a happy camper and when I'm not..I'll just wander off. I have friends who left the internet fandom...not Clay. They just aren't fans of the message boards. When this isn't fun anymore...I'll join them. Until then, this is a hoot!

Champion I so agree...sometimes it is really necessary to walk away from the computer and get some perspective. It does seem like everyone is talking about Clay when you are on the internet and a reading the boards everyday...but out in real life...not so much. I have never had anyone come up to me and talk about the tabloids and the latest crap the gnats are spewing, not even Ripagate or the airplane incident. You really do have to look at the big picture and in the great scheme of things, most things that happen in Clayland are not even on the radar of Joe Public.

Kim

Yeah, I'll rejoin the OFC. I'm not a huge fan of the message board, but I do like to peek in on it occasionally. It does appear to be the one board we know that Clay does read, so if I have thoughts or support I'd like to offer him, I feel there is a greater chance he'll see it there than elsewhere. The OFC offers the best opportunity to win M&G's, and there have been times (though rare), when the fan club has been advantageous for ticket buying.

But for me, his blogs are worth the price of admission alone. Funny, perceptive, and clever, they give us a window to his personality, that for me, is enormously rewarding. From the quick, random tidbits about his life (i.e., getting an iPhone), to his more heartfelt expressions of gratitude or compassion, each feels extraordinarily personal and genuine. Unlike M&G reports which must be interpreted through the filters of the participants, his blogs come directly from him, and can be evaluated as such. Yeah, they might get passed around back channels elsewhere, but he wrote them for Fan Club members, and it's as a Fan Club member that I want to appreciate them.

Champion I so agree...sometimes it is really necessary to walk away from the computer and get some perspective. It does seem like everyone is talking about Clay when you are on the internet and a reading the boards everyday...but out in real life...not so much. I have never had anyone come up to me and talk about the tabloids and the latest crap the gnats are spewing, not even Ripagate or the airplane incident. You really do have to look at the big picture and in the great scheme of things, most things that happen in Clayland are not even on the radar of Joe Public.

So true. If one spends all one time on the boards, it's all to easy to think the world revolves around Clay Aiken. The vast majority of people never hear about the minor disses of obscure bloggers or small-city reviewers. And even when things do reach the larger media, they are often forgotten with the next wave of Paris/Lindsay/Britney gossip that inevitably washes through.

And sorry, I don't know who Kirk Gibson or Drew Pearson are either.

Edited by JennaZ

Will y'all be shocked to know that I have no idea who either Kirk Gibson or Drew Pearson are?

I will rejoin the OFC because they made me Fan of the Day once. I'm shallow.

Hee!! Me too! Plus I won M&G for the JNT05 when it was slam/bam/thankyoumaam but soooooooo exciting!!

I remember Kirk Gibson well. My son,who was only a young'un at the time and a HUGE Dodger fan was over the moon that day! I can still see that ball sailing ov.... I better stop now. :)

Our whole family are fanatical Yankees fans. Do I have to turn in my membership card here now?? :)

Edited by canuck2010