#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

If I quoted everything I had quoted, it would be a page long. Great discussion this morning! I agree with the idea that Clay is going for a long term career as opposed to a quick burning 15 minutes of superstardom. I agree that he has "it" and I think he could be a massive superstar right now if that had been his choice. I think music has never been his sole aspiration, as much as some of his fans would like it to be--I think all along he's wanted to act, do comedy, and we know he wants to do a talk show.

I'll bet if you asked him what he wanted for his career long term, he'd ended up talking about things that have nothing to do with music or comedy--things that have to do with making life better for others like UNICEF or Bubel-Aiken.

How could I forget! I also agree with those who are saying that the man is happy, and that's the most important thing.

Edited by jmh123

DCATfeet.jpg

Oh God! How did I miss this one!!!!! It's early in the morning and I'm lusting after a picture of Clay Aiken's bare feet. Do I need medication?

Yes, it's called SEX and they don't sell it over the counter!

Don't you think part of Clay's discomfort and nervousness in the beginning was the fact that it was all new to it and it came so fast? I think he's gained a lot of confidence since than. How shocking all that must have been to him.

Has everyone seen the Pollstar figures for Cary? I think they made a mistake.

But sometimes I do look at him up there on the stage and marvel that only 5 years ago he was just another someone...someone's neighbor, someone's friend, someone's co-worker, someone's nephew. It makes me look at the people around me and wonder which of them could handle having that sort of massive seismic shift happen in their life? And how many hidden gems are there in my very own life that maybe I'm overlooking?

I've thought of that too. The whole AI franchise and the glut of AI wannabe 'contest' shows has made me aware of that. The other day a co-worker of mine told me her nephew tried out for AI. I forgot to ask what season, but she said he didn't make it and sort of dismissed the whole thing. I have no idea how talented (or not) her nephew is, but all I could think about was Clay in Charlotte...and Quiana....and then all the other Clay and Quiana's out there right now still kicking at the door.

I know I'm going to get my ass kicked for not remembering where this is from, but didn't Clay just recently mention, or allude to, that he might have gotten a slightly inflated notion of himself along the way. That he needed to make an adjustment to his way of thinking somehow. Oh God, I hates when I can only remember just part of something I read and it just tickles at the edges of my brain. *sigh* Now I will have to go hunt up that remark.

My only point was that, yes, the man is smart...smart and learning on his feet. With all that has happened in the first five years I can't wait to see where he takes us in the next.

editing to say how much I really love that Frisco shot ^^^ right there with the little lip bite...thank you very much!

I think he said he discovered that he wasn't as important as he once thought. Not quotable but along those lines. I do believe he's a very grounded person and having all of that rejection as a kid just made him even more so. I don't think he really wants to be a superstar because there are so many pitfalls along the way and it would be hard to avoid them completely. He's multi-faceted, intelligent and a kind human being. Not many people in "show business" like him.

Yes, it's called SEX and they don't sell it over the counter!

Well then there's no antidote for this. Might as well go ahead on -- right over the edge. Here goes .....

(Tip: Don't even watch this if you have anything else to do for the next hour.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texC_0dECY0

Edited by keepingfaith

There is some serious magic between those two. She is such a beautiful woman!!!

Good thing today is my gym day. Have to increase my workouts!

Edited by Toots

I’m in a different place now and here’s why. Disclaimer: this it total and absolute speculation and I don’t know nothin’ or nobody and this is solely my opinion and I could be wrong - often am. When I see Clay now, I see a happy man. I base this on public appearances - his concert demeanor, the meet and greet stories, recent TV appearances, the busline handshakes. When I think back to 2003-4 Clay, I’m not so sure I saw a happy man. Using the same criteria - concerts, meet and greets, TV, buslines - in my eyes, I saw a very uncomfortable person. And often, not a happy person. As I said, my perception only.

So I have to wonder whether Clay liked the constant high wire act he was back in those days. The continual pulling at him, the moving from appearance to appearance without time to think, the concerts, the interviews, the photo shoots, the appearances, the TV shows, the book, the CDs, the continual adulation, and all that accompanied that.

Great post. I think there is some truth in this. And in this:

ETA: I think the difference in Clay's comfort level in 2003 and now is that back in the "day" Clay wasn't calling his own shots and I think he is now. I think he's responsible for where he goes and what he does. He's probably not less busy, but it's just so much more pleasant when we're calling our own tune.

That first year must have been enormously difficult, when he couldn't even leave hotel rooms for fear of getting mobbed. He probably had very little knowledge of the industry then, and could only follow blindly as his management lead him from recording sessions to media events to various appearances.

I was just listening to his iTunes interview yesterday, and one of the things he said was that if he had gone into music right after high school, it would have been all about him. He seemed to think that it was important for him to go through the Y and college so that he could have the attitude he has now.

Likewise, I do sometimes wonder if the slower periods have, in a sense, been good for him, because they gave him a chance to breathe and regain a sense of perspective. I suspect that he's found that to maintain his sanity, he had to take some measure of control over his own life. His experiences in Indonesia, Uganda, Afghanistan and elsewhere probably had a significant impact on him, and in the last few years, he's undoubtedly learned so much more, not only about the entertainment industry, but about himself.

I think Clay is happy, but I also think he's ambitious enough to want a bit more out of his career. Radio play. Television. Touring to sell-out crowds. And I still believe that under the right circumstances, it is possible for him to reach superstar heights, to have the kind of fame, success and popularity that would make him a legend.

I don't know if he wants that or not, but I do think that because his trajectory has not been one continuous meteoric rise, because he has had some time to process and re-evaluate, he is now much better prepared to deal with it if it were to happen.

At the time Clay made that trek to Atlanta to audition for Idol again, the country was coming out of the fog of sadness and disbelief brought on by 9/11 and needed something or someone to root for again and I think Clay was it. I don't think it was a coincident that he tried out for the show at that time. I never watched Idol myself and then for some reason on Wild Card Night, I decided to sit down and watch. The rest as they say, is history. I pretty much lived for Tuesday and Wednesday nights and when he lost, I was beside myself and couldn't understand why I was getting so worked up over a TV show. And then I started reading the boards and saw I wasn't alone, but what I also saw were expectations for this kid that I thought were unrealistic. He was going to change the music industry; he was going to be the symbol of all that was pure and holy and for some; he was going to save the world from itself. That is a lot to live up to.

But then again, I think Clay also has to take some blame for the box he found himself in because of saying he wanted to be a role model and family friendly. Some fans ran with that and anytime he said or did anything that didn't fit into what they thought was role model-ish or family friendly he got called on it. I think it took Clay a lot of time to figure out that he could not be all things to all people and that maybe he was losing himself in trying.

So I think moving back to Raleigh was Clay taking back his life; realizing that he could have a career on his terms without the trappings of Hollywood or living there. Maybe he did get a bit of a swelled head and needed to go back home to ground himself and remember where he came from.

I think in the last year; after all the crap and Ripagate; when Clay toured last Christmas; we finally saw the real Clay; the guy who can be bawdy and snarky and a little bit of a smart ass and the world didn't come to an end. He allowed us even more personal glimpes with the new Meet and Greet format which again speaks to his growing comfort level with the fandom.

I loved Clay when was on Idol, but I love even more the Clay I see now; the confident man who can still be himself while being true to his goals whether they be career-orientated or philanthropic.

Kim

ETA: I think the difference in Clay's comfort level in 2003 and now is that back in the "day" Clay wasn't calling his own shots and I think he is now. I think he's responsible for where he goes and what he does. He's probably not less busy, but it's just so much more pleasant when we're calling our own tune.

That, and Paxil! ;)

Likewise, I do sometimes wonder if the slower periods have, in a sense, been good for him, because they gave him a chance to breathe and regain a sense of perspective. I suspect that he's found that to maintain his sanity, he had to take some measure of control over his own life. His experiences in Indonesia, Uganda, Afghanistan and elsewhere probably had a significant impact on him, and in the last few years, he's undoubtedly learned so much more, not only about the entertainment industry, but about himself.

I think Clay is happy, but I also think he's ambitious enough to want a bit more out of his career. Radio play. Television. Touring to sell-out crowds. And I still believe that under the right circumstances, it is possible for him to reach superstar heights, to have the kind of fame, success and popularity that would make him a legend.

I don't know if he wants that or not, but I do think that because his trajectory has not been one continuous meteoric rise, because he has had some time to process and re-evaluate, he is now much better prepared to deal with it if it were to happen.

I could have quoted your whole post, Jenna, but this part particlualy made my head nod like a bobble-head doll! I have often thought he NEEDS those down times to recharge his batteries and keep him sane. To just be at home where he can be Clayton and play with the pups and hang with long time friends and family. And I think he needs those down times to pursue his other passions - the BAF and UNICEF - because I think that is what keeps him grounded and fulfilled.

I think its important for anyone to keep balance in their lives. I think the problem with some of the type A types who end up having nervous breakdowns at the age of 40 is they fail to do that. I think in the first year or so after AI he failed to do that it was taking its toll on him. But smart boy that he is, I think he realized he couldn't stay that way and stay sane.

I also think Clay is very ambitious. Very. I think he wants radio play badly - probably because that is one hurdle he just can't seem to jump as for any practical reason. I think he wants to do TV. I think he wants to sing to crowds other than the same 3000 people. Unlike some ambitious people, though, I don't think he is willing to sell his soul to achieve these things. I believe he wants to achieve a lot in this world, but not at any price.

Of course, if he put himself up on Ebay, he could probably command any price he wanted!

Good Morning!!! *g*

What a doofus I am!!! Somehow I logged onto the last thread and was surprised that I was the only one logged on - thought it was because I'm a West Coaster and y'all were out already, busy with your day! :cryingwlaughter: I was merrily going along - quoting people - amazed that so many didn't know "stuff" - how outta the loop you all were!!! :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Apparently it was I, myself and me!!! Hee!!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! - picture this blue - I can't get the "colors" to work!

You all must know that xxx's Mountaineers are just about tied with Clay in her heart!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

So, I think I've ketchup'd now and I agree with those who think Clay was a little overwhelmed in that first year post-idol. I just can't imagine how all that attention and adulation coupled with the horrid caricatures made of him affected his confidence. His whole world was thrown upside down and I'm sure he experienced a bit of "Be careful what you wish for". I'm thrilled to believe that he has come to terms with his fame, his fans and the pitfalls of fame.

I think he truly loves what he does now and is so mature in recognizing that it ain't easy doing what you want to do and he accepts the business side of the "business". I'm probably not expressing what I'm feeling very well. it's early! *g*

From comments he made in the M&G's, I think he is so mature in his attitude towards the label and what he wants to accomplish with his future. I think it is sooooooooooooo fortunate that he attained this incredible fame after he matured to a point where he could handle it. When I watch the "beastly beauties" on the news each night, I feel sad for them in that they attained their fame while still children and few of them had sane, supportive families - which I think has led to their going "off the rails".. Clay, OTOH, has now surrounded himself with people of substance whom he trusts and I think he's like a sponge, soaking up as much knowledge of the business as possible. I think this bodes well for his future and I think it's going to be an amazing future.

I'm sure rambling this morning - apologies!!

What I'm really taken with are the PANTS!!!!!! *G*

ETA:

Of course, if he put himself up on Ebay, he could probably command any price he wanted!

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Edited by canuck2010

I loved Clay when was on Idol, but I love even more the Clay I see now; the confident man who can still be himself while being true to his goals whether they be career-orientated or philanthropic.

Kim

Coming in a bit late- but I totally agree with this. I love the man he has grown into-every single inch of him- body and soul and mind.

I love that he can be himself, be a little bit naughty, tease us and play with us. He still doesnt drink and smoke and yet I am so glad that perceived "halo" has finally slipped off and he can more or less relax around us.

The interview that was mentioned was right after he got back from Afghanistan. I dont remember the name of the interviewer, but she had short blonde hair-they were talking about his trip and the "stardom" and all.

Of course he is human- and people screaming and falling all over him etc has got to affect in some way.

I love the way he is now reaching out to fans- coming out into the audience during songs, wandering through some of the audience at his first entrance, the sit down meet and greets- not minding those close poses for the pics, "walking the line" afterwards. This man is committed to us just as much as we are to him. I really think he enjoys being able to pick familiar faces out of the audience (would that one of them was MEEEE)

I see a man taking charge of his life after the debacle of the last year or so. He seemed to be on a fast moving roller coaster and in my mind, the "drought" was him pulling himself together.

He is mad talented, his mind is phenomenal, his looks are growing sexier and more mature at the same time. His ideas for different shows really work- who would have thought how much people would "get into" the TV themes?

I am glad that he wants to enlarge his repertoire (down, smutters) and I am ready willing and able to keep following him for as long as he is there to do what he does best. And not only in the entertainment business, but in his philanthropic works as well.

And on a baser level- no way those feet are stinky. They are definitely sexy, he can put them on my lap any day, and I would love to give him a foot massage

:allgood:

Gibby said

I sometimes wonder if Clay WANTS to be a super-superstar like Elvis, or if it would even be a good thing for him. The pressures and demands on someone at that level are incredible.

I'm rather squicked out when he's compared to Elvis. I'm not old enough to remember young cool Elvis and mostly only remember the bad ending.

I don't much look at how Clay's career might fit into musical history. I hope he's around for a long time in one capacity or another and that it's what he wants it to be. I'm simple like that.

But sometimes I do look at him up there on the stage and marvel that only 5 years ago he was just another someone...someone's neighbor, someone's friend, someone's co-worker, someone's nephew. It makes me look at the people around me and wonder which of them could handle having that sort of massive seismic shift happen in their life? And how many hidden gems are there in my very own life that maybe I'm overlooking?

After reading comments last night I woke up this morning thinking about Clay being "bigger than Elvis" or "bigger than the Beatles" or "the new Frank Sinatra", according to my mom's boyfriend. I kind of liked the idea of Clay having that kind of recognition and fan base, but I understand what you mean about Elvis, JaMar. I remember when Elvis died because it was on my brother's birthday. At that time I thought he was a pathetic sort of man. That is never what I wanted for Clay.

What I realized this morning is that I never really cared how "big" Clay got, I just wanted him to continue his singing career and be in my life. My life has expanded exponentially since Clay came into it. My husband and I travel to concerts in places we haven't visited before, I have a group of wonderful and amazing friends that I met through a fan site and I just have a lot of fun being a fan. Fun - that is the place that I am at with being a fan. I enjoy it and embrace having fun being a fan. I really don't even mind being called a Claymate. I, quite selfishly, want to continue my Clay fun. I get bored easily, so I can't imagine my attention being held just watching old videos. I just keep my fingers crossed that Clay wants to continue.

Clay still seems very much another "someone" to me - a someone with extraordinary talent, but, like you have said so well, there are lots of those "someones" out there. He also makes me realize how each one of us has extraordinary talent in one area or another - it's just that most of us will have that talent only acknowledged by a few people rather than many. "Use your voice" - Clay, most of the time, I think, sees that "someone" in himself and the ability to contribute extraordinary talent in others, and that inspires me.

So I have to wonder whether Clay liked the constant high wire act he was back in those days. The continual pulling at him, the moving from appearance to appearance without time to think, the concerts, the interviews, the photo shoots, the appearances, the TV shows, the book, the CDs, the continual adulation, and all that accompanied that.

To me, today Clay appears much more comfortable, happy, and satisfied than he did 3 or 4 years ago. So I have to think that for him, a slower paced career is more in keeping with the life he wants to live. It seems so to me. Or maybe he’s just taken a long time to get used to his new life. Or maybe I’m full of shit.

I prayed for Clay all the time during that whirlwind period. I worried when he looked so tired. He does seem so much more happy now, so himself. Maybe some of it is just in growing up and learning how to hold his own. I don't know how anyone could sustain the pace that he did in the beginning. At least without things turning out like they did for Elvis. Time, experience, career ups and downs, fan support, family and friends, and maybe even medication, whatever, he now seems like a man who owns his career.

I think Clay is happy, but I also think he's ambitious enough to want a bit more out of his career. Radio play. Television. Touring to sell-out crowds.

I agree. I can't see someone giving such a large amount of time in a concert to being cool and getting radio play as a person who doesn't care about that portion of his career. And I've only been to one television taping, but I could see how high his energy was that night. I think back to how Clay has described being too subborn to give up at the various setbacks on Idol and I can imagine getting radio play can push the same buttons for him.

Edited by saltwaterdog

I know I'm going to get my ass kicked for not remembering where this is from, but didn't Clay just recently mention, or allude to, that he might have gotten a slightly inflated notion of himself along the way. That he needed to make an adjustment to his way of thinking somehow. Oh God, I hates when I can only remember just part of something I read and it just tickles at the edges of my brain. *sigh* Now I will have to go hunt up that remark.

You may be thinking of this

from April 20, 2007, after Clay got back from Afghanistan. At the end of it, in answer to Jann Carl's question about what he's learned, Clay talks a bit about going from thinking you're the biggest thing going to taking a step back and realizing you're not the only one doing this and "people don't care about you all the time." Uh, yeah. 'Cause I've taken to spending all my spare time on a website called "Finding Justin Timberlake." Only not.

ETA: Crap Yeah - top of the page.

I was just thinking about you Miss Scarlett, and wondering if you have merrieee busily working on another AMA poster enlarged beyond anything that Karen Eh? could ever imagine. Oh, nevermind, I momentarily forgot that Karen Eh? can imagine anything enlarged.

Speaking of that... I've been spending the better part of the morning looking at this series...

1_070819_Orlando_MOAM_Scarlett_025920_te

2_070819_Orlando_MOAM_Scarlett_030118_te

3_070819_Orlando_MOAM_Scarlett_030213_te

4_070819_Orlando_MOAM_Scarlett_030208_te

5_070819_Orlando_MOAM_Scarlett_030218_te

6_070819_Orlando_MOAM_Scarlett_030221_te

7_070819_Orlando_WISYS_Scarlett_034119_t

I was just thinking about you Miss Scarlett, and wondering if you have merrieee busily working on another AMA poster enlarged beyond anything that Karen Eh? could ever imagine. Oh, nevermind, I momentarily forgot that Karen Eh? can imagine anything enlarged.

Speaking of that... I've been spending the better part of the morning looking at this series...

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

It's like it's been sprinkled with Miracle Grow or something!

Well, on my first post I jumped in with both feet

Wanted to say hello and I recognize some names here. And some very good discussions, too!

My name is Marilyn and I started at Claymaniacs, joined the OFC, and Clayversity. I love the linear format- this way I don't have to try and figure what is in each thread. I am on Long Island in New York- I don't think there are too many internet Clay fans in this area. Would love to find some for interaction when Clay is not on our horizon touring

I am busily trying to figure what Christmas concerts to attend- just cannot get enough of the man!!

And--I hope to see some of you in Vegas!!

I have never ever been there-so It will be an EXPERIENCE for me!

Catch ya later

Super to see the 'eeeeerrrrrrrrs so well represented on a board.

My DH, brother and son are alumni..and it really gets interesting when they play MD in football because my other son is a MD graduate....

Clay related????? Hmmmmmmmmm?????

Oh the WVU football team plays Eastern North Carolina....

Let's Goooooooooooooo Mounties!!!!!!

<--------------------------*le sigh*

one of these days I just neeeeeed to have those bore into mine!!!! :Thud:

How does that feel? I know quite a few of you had that climactic experience! Do tell, pretty please. :lilredani:

You may be thinking of this

from April 20, 2007, after Clay got back from Afghanistan. At the end of it, in answer to Jann Carl's question about what he's learned, Clay talks a bit about going from thinking you're the biggest thing going to taking a step back and realizing you're not the only one doing this and "people don't care about you all the time." Uh, yeah. 'Cause I've taken to spending all my spare time on a website called "Finding Justin Timberlake." Only not.

ETA: Crap Yeah - top of the page.

That's it! Thank you bottlecap! :F_05BL17blowkiss: ...and the little part at the end when he says he's 'not dumb enough' to think that everyone thinks about him all the time... :cryingwlaughter: *wipes eyes* yeah...anyhow...smart men are sexy.

Scarlett, I adore that last shot. TOA indeed.

*hands bottle barf bag in case she gets sick from heights sitting way up there at the top of the page*