#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

And while you and Muski suffer bruises and splinters while naked dancing, I have no such problem...at all.

Yeah, well Totally, my dear friend....count your blessings....

I mean, really....does ANYONE find THIS attractive?

boobs.gif

:scream:

runforthehills-1.gif

Oh and Toots Please don't come after me....I'm a terrible wimp, and I promise, I really was kidding. :)

There is no bigger wimp on earth than I, but you know a girl has to defend her "I don't like LAA" stance.

ETA: YSRN, does that mean I get to use the whip?

Only if I misbehave. :whistling-1:

pinkhandcuffsf.gif

Well, in that case...you'd better have extra whips for when yours wears out, Scarlett! (uh...better load up on the cufflinks, too.... :unsure: )

:cryingwlaughter:

Edited by muskifest

Oh, is it sad movie time? My nominations:

Terms of Endearment (Shirley MacLaine, Deborah Winger)

Imitation of Life (Lana Turner, Sandra Dee, Juanita Turner)

Misunderstood (Henry Thomas, Gene Hackman)

These movies make me cry every.single.time. I was misty-eyed in Titanic, but these send streams flowing down my face.

Oh, and I loved "The Long Walk Home, " too Couchie! I was surprised how much it moved me.

The last movie that made me bawl....Click...damn I just felt his frustration of watching his life slip away...sniff. It made my daughters cry too.

The long Walk home...yup I don't think I really cried but I really liked this movie...and the girls discovered it on You Tube and watched it twice. I think its the only movie that came close to making my Sam Cry.

Oh ..Schindlers list...I cried...I was an emotional wreck.

I think I will be requesting an external hard drive for Christmas.....and lessons on how to use it..

Why wait for Christmas when hard drives are always on sale? look at this site to monitor sales out there.

BC, never saw that candy before, but then, I was never a Wonka fan and try and not buy anything Nestle for mumblety mumble years.

Karen Eh, had a sheltie as a small child and, besides it's sweet nature, all I remember is my mother complaining about having to wash it all the time to keep it pretty. It was a male as well, but I guess I never worried about it's appearance vs sex, was pre-puberty, so I guess it just didn't matter to me.

Leno - It's show business. Leno pokes fun at various people in the conciousness of the public. I don't like it, but he does it to a lot of people. I was actually more offended at how people treated Sanjaya this year because he was only 17 and that seemd like it should protect him a little, but in a world where people thinkit is funny to make jokes about the sobriety of Dakota Fanning, I guess not. The important thing isthe amount of couch time - I focus on the important stuff - more time for Clay to sell himself to the public. Bet he is on Leno this December to talk about the Holiday on Ice.

I am really hoping for a rerelease of the MCWL without the icky software and with the All is Well music included. It would kill in sales.

Why is there angst? I think there are several reasons.

One of the biggest is that is how a lot of people (not me) were introduced to Clay - the yammy faces and worrying about elimination, the obvious slant of the entertaiment news reports (the Week of Ruben on ET before the finale and the one time they covered Clay they kept talking about how he forgot the words in Vincent, led by Paula, of course.)

Then there was the anomolie where some people (not me) theough Clay would actually disappear. ?!?! I have no idea why, I kept saying there was no way he would go away, but then I was more involved in my own life and lawsuits to worry about his.

Following the album release was a heady time, but some people thought Clay would never tour after the AI2 tour, never understood that either - and, boy, has he ever proved people wrong on that! Then there was the angst following the Prime time interview when people thought that CLay might want ot be a teacher and stop performing.

Then other stuff over and over - so I believe some people just are trained like Pavlov's dogs to angst. I still don't see the need of it and think it does more harm that good, but to each their own. I just can't ump and emoptionally get upset about so much crap - a few things get to me, I was pissed, not worried, about PETA and not happy about a lot that happened in Claydom, but it just does not seem helpful for me to get pissed about stuff. I would have to stop watching ATV for the most part. I ignore most nuts and trolls, although I do admit to playing with some at TWOP (they deserve it). Last night, I thought I might be able to reduce the angst level, which was very high at some boards, by reporting that it was all good. Didn't think to spoiler it like I would with a Clay appearance.

Speaking of TWOP - anyone following the growing Bo hate there? I think it is interesting to follow his story because a lot of people were calling for Clay to leave RCA and start his own label (not any advice I would give him!) and Bo has done just that. It will be very interesting over the next few months with his new album release being tied to Carries release the same week - Oct 23rd, I think he is trying to get a PR lift from her publicity.

Crying movies - got to be Cary Grant/Debrah Kerr and the empre state building.

Edited by playbiller

I think, for me, the champion of "bawl like a baby" movies has to be ET. Matter of fact, most of Spielberg's dramas (Schindler's List, Color Purple) made me cry like an idiot. I will not watch ET again, it was so emotional to me....

OTOH, Titanic -- way oversold to me. I was like, "eh." The funniest summary I know of for Titanic was a Tshirt that said "the boat sank. Get over it." (Reminds me of that short, sweet, and to the point summary of Hamlet earlier....)

Oh, is it sad movie time? My nominations:

Terms of Endearment (Shirley MacLaine, Deborah Winger)

Imitation of Life (Lana Turner, Sandra Dee, Juanita Turner)

Misunderstood (Henry Thomas, Gene Hackman)

These movies make me cry every.single.time. I was misty-eyed in Titanic, but these send streams flowing down my face.

Oh, and I loved "The Long Walk Home, " too Couchie! I was surprised how much it moved me.

Ohhhhhh,Jenna, I loved the movie Imitation of Life, I was pretty young the first time I saw it, but I sobbed at end, I'm not sure how many times I've seen it, but it was on tv I think in the past 12 months. It had been on maybe a half hour and I sat down and watched it again and sobbed and sobbed. A great old movie.

I just remembered another oldie I loved the original An Affair to Remember with Deborah Kerr

Edited by atinal

Any Titanic story is different for me because I actually had a relative (my grandmother's brother) go down on her and my Dad used to talk about how badly it had affected his mother and the rest of his family.

When I saw the movie there were two teenagers sitting behind me and one said to the other really loudly..."Do you think it will sink"? Well how could you not laugh at that?

But I will cry if anyone dies in a movie. I just can't seem to help it. Now in real life I guess most times I am a lot more cynical but movie deaths get me every time!

Why is there angst? I think there are several reasons.

<snip>

Then there was the anomolie where some people (not me) theough Clay would actually disappear. ?!?! I have no idea why, I kept saying there was no way he would go away, but then I was more involved in my own life and lawsuits to worry about his.

Following the album release was a heady time, but some people thought Clay would never tour after the AI2 tour, never understood that either - and, boy, has he ever proved people wrong on that! Then there was the angst following the Prime time interview when people thought that CLay might want ot be a teacher and stop performing.

I admit to my fair share of angst back in the early days of the fandom. I was terrified he'd disappear, probably because I knew next to nothing about AI (hadn't watched season 1 and only part of season 2) and I figured if he didn't win, that'd be it, no recording contract, back to his old life. Hee, that reminds me of something funny, last night my son told me that the first time I ever said the "f" word in front of him was the night that Clay didn't win AI. I was so TOTALLY convinced that he would win that I never saw it coming, and apparently I reacted accordingly. :cryingwlaughter:

Once I had seen the AI2 tour I knew he wasn't going anywhere. That guy had amazing stage presence and charisma, and a great career ahead of him. And I only ever mildly worried about him going back to teaching after that PT interview....never angsted, I don't think. I just don't have enough time to angst, or enough emotional energy. This fandom is my fun and my joy - I get enough of the other shit in my RL.

Edited by luckiest1

When I saw the movie there were two teenagers sitting behind me and one said to the other really loudly..."Do you think it will sink"? Well how could you not laugh at that?

:lmaosmiley-1: Dontcha just hate it when someone ruins a really good sad movie by saying something stupid? As a teenager I was watching Franco Zeferelli's "Romeo & Juliet" with my BFF. As the credits are rolling my BFF turns sobbing to me and says "God that was good! Charles Dickens wrote that, didn't he?".

I screeched with laughter, totally ruining the mood for all the other theater-goers who were enjoying their grief over the star-crossed lovers. Still to this day laugh over "For never was a story of more woe, Than this of Juliet and her Romeo. ..."

Can someone hand me some salt? My foot is a little tasteless...

I bet reactions to Titanic (the movie) in your family had to be very interesting. Would love to hear those stories, actually.

I think I'll shut up now.

I probably was lucky to be in a crisis at the end of AI2 - I had a very stressful job and the one family block I lived on was getting a high rise apartment erected by one ofthe crooked zoning board members in the town. I spent thousands of dollars with my neighbors and spent many a night testifying or jsut being there to support others testifying in the zoning cast, We were there until midnight the night of the finale, so I watched it on tape, while sleeping off and on the couch because I was exhausted and had to get up at 6 am the next day for work. Although we were ignored by the zoning board, we took them to county court where they threw out the approval and made them start all over because the action was extremely ridiculous and illegal. They have dropped the attempts at this time and the property is still vacant. The zoning board was voted out enmasse next election, not only because of this, but because they threw a 75 year old woman out of the house she was born in because a restaurant wanted it for a parking lot and the town took it over in eminent domain. The woman died shortly after she was evicted from the house she owned and lived in her entire life.

Clay was a fun diversion for me, I would have missed him, but my own investments, going on disability fromt eh stress of an illogical work place and the unfairness of life kept me less invested than most.

The movie that made me cry like a baby ...

It starred Ellen Burstyn as a woman who was in a serious car accident and had a near death experience that left her with a gift for healing. Her family rejected her because she could not claim that her healing powers were from Jesus so they declared that she was doing the devil's work and she left home to run a gas station in the desert, and in the final scene, after many years had passed, a family stops in for gas and tells her their little boy is dying and they are taking him to the Grand Canyon. The little boy is playing with one of her puppies and she gives it to him -- then the little boy says "I don't think I should take him because I may not be around much longer." She gives him her great big powerful healing hug and tells him to take the dog because she thinks he's going to be just fine.

I don't remember much after this ... except being a wailing, wet-faced mess. And I don't remember the name of the movie!

ETA: Oh yeah, I'm remembering, she tells him to take the puppy, but the price is one big hug. Oh, that was the big one for me. I can cry now just thinking about it.

Look, now, this is the second time in two days I've been up here at the top. Doesn't everybody know that heights make me dizzy!?!?

Edited by keepingfaith

Good morning/afternoon:

I taped PH scumass but haven't watched it yet, but since JK has been lied about more than once by the tabloids, I didn't expect he would give PH a warm fuzzy welcome.

JK and Leno are very different kinds of comedians. I think that Leno is more old-school-tell-a-joke and Hollywood superficial. JK uses a lot of situational humor (with a good dose of slapstick)--sort of like Clay, as a matter of fact. I don't think Leno gives a ratsass about his guests except for the degree to which they will affect his ratings.

Has anyone seen an old movie with Susan Hayward entitled "I Want to Live!"

omg....I was a sniffling mess watching that...

AND "Dead Man Walking"...

and call me (fill in the blank here), but no matter how many times I see this movie, I STILL bawl like a baby at the end... "It's a Wonderful Life"....(Of course, I've always had this incestuous love for Jimmy Stewart and Gregory Peck, finding both of these men incredibly sexy and father-like at the same time.... :hubbahubba: :medium-smiley-070: )

ETA: wandacleo....WORD to this:

I don't think Leno gives a ratsass about his guests except for the degree to which they will affect his ratings.
, which is how Ryan Seashit strikes me, too. Edited by muskifest

Heheh. I saw Titanic from the very front row of a huuuuuuge screen movie theatre. (This after it was open for two weeks and I foolishly thought we could arrive less than 1/2 an hour early). There was a man sitting beside us, literally on the edge of his seat during the scenes immediately prior to the sinking. He was biting his nails (!!) and I couldn't resist leaning over and whispering, 'you do know the boat sinks, right?'. Hee! Everybody in the surrounding area cracked UP. I guess my whisper isn't so quiet after all.

(((merrieeeee))) What a story to have.

Clay content? Ummm. I'd gladly go down... err, nevermind.

P.S. if any of my fellow melodrama queens is interested in a three-hankie fan fic - I've got a link for you. *g* PM me.

Edited by cindilu2

I was...*thinks back*...15-years-old and "in love" with Leonardo DiCaprio (oy) when Titanic came out. I also had a massive interest in the history of the ship/sinking from years before (saw the superdupercool exhibit in Chicago a few years later - awesome!). So, I sobbed like a baby. Now, the only part that makes me cry is when the two older people (always wondered if it's supposed to be Ida and Isidor Straus) are holding each other in bed while the ship sinks and the band is playing "Nearer My God to Thee."

Other than that, anything with an animal hurt or dying makes me cry. Damn that Walt Disney. When Oliver is alone in the rain, when Tod's mother is shot, when Bambi's mother is shot, when Charlie goes to heaven. *sigh* When I saw All Dogs Go to Heaven, I was in such a state that the lady sitting behind my mom and I patted me on the shoulder and told me everything would be okay, lol.

And not because it's sad, but I get a little teary when The Wonders hear their song on the radio the first time in That Thing You Do! Yeah, I'm a dork. :P

Re: Clay angst. I'll admit that I was quite angst-seeking in the beginning. Conspiracies everywhere! But thankfully, I've either matured or mellowed or gotten more of a life (doubtful on that last one) since then. I do think some people feed off negative energy, though - for whatever reason. Just like there are people who create drama in their personal lives, there are people who try to create drama in the fandom - if not for everyone (such fun when that happens), for themselves.

I always wonder if the compulsion comes from some sense of "supposed to." If I'm not outraged by some derogatory comment toward Clay, that means I don't "love" him enough. Reminds me of those chain emails with the thinly (or not so thinly) veiled threats - If you really love Jesus, you'll send this to 275 people. If you don't, you must be a despicable heathen! God will check your sent email!! Silly, but evidently a lot of people are terrified that someone else might think they don't love Clay or Jesus or don't support the preservation of direct address commas (ok, so that's a personal one) if they don't repeat this fact at every possible opportunity.

Edited by Mandler

Oh yeah, I Want To Live was a tearjerker. And I too cry every year at the end of It's A Wonderful Life. I'm a sucker for a sad movies and the old ones really got me when I was a kid, so much so that I still cry when the spirits of Cathy and Heathcliff are united at the Moors, and when Beth is dying in Little Women.

ETA: wandacleo....WORD to this:
I don't think Leno gives a ratsass about his guests except for the degree to which they will affect his ratings.
, which is how Ryan Seashit strikes me, too.

I'll agree to that....but I also just see that as SHOW BUSINESS. Everything is about ratings, or sales, or the money. If it wasn't, the fandom wouldn't give a care if Clay appeared on a show and ratings spiked overnight, IMO. I think something happened that transcended the money thing for Clay and Jimmy -- but it doesn't have to happen for everyone paired with Clay. And to me, Jimmy and the people behind his show don't care about his guests too much except for the ratings either, if they had slimebucket on the show last night in the first place. Finally, I always remember that sure, it's about the ratings -- maybe Jay doesn't care...but I bet NBC does. NBC owns Jay as much as RCA owns Clay.

I feel like I'm coming off rather bitchy here....maybe I should find a good sad movie....any suggestions? *g*