#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

All right now, a question to all the veterans out there. When would you say, best guess, regarding the cute, fresh-faced Clay portrayed in this picture ....

Portland-MG.jpg

.... when did he make a deal at the crossroads, or find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or by whatever means transform into this guy .....

HoustonDCAT21.jpg

Preferably, does anyone have a specific date on that? Because I'm thinking about establishing an annual holiday celebration in my home to commemorate it.

Edited by keepingfaith

I go away for a couple of hours to do some painting and whatnot, and y'all go and post some substantive stuff. On a Saturday afternoon, no less!

Role Model discussion: Personally, I'm a big believer in the power of a bad example, and hopefully being smart enough to watch, learn, and do the complete opposite of that example. In Clay's case, his early descriptions about the kind of man Vernon was, and wanting to be the complete opposite of him really struck a chord with me. Again, this may be a case of me projecting, but I would be surprised if Clay ever turned into much of a drinker or a blatant womanizer because of Vernon's example.

Enough o' the serious junk! I need to see some more of the pretty. I'd be willing to be drunken and slutty for this guy:

KnoxvilleDCAT5.jpg

When did Clay say "I not as innocent as you think I am"? Really early on, I think. When he was still on Idol? Regarding the drinking, I've heard him say a couple times recently that he doesn't, so I just believe what he says. He worked saying that into teasing people who were. He wasn't at all role-model-ish about it; it just seemed spontaneous, like part of him.

Claygasm, great find! :clap::cryingwlaughter:

~ :xmas07a:

All right now, a question to all the veterans out there. When would you say, best guess, regarding the cute, fresh-faced Clay portrayed in this picture ....

Portland-MG.jpg

.... when did he make a deal at the crossroads, or find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or by whatever means transform into this guy .....

HoustonDCAT21.jpg

Preferably, does anyone have a specific date on that? Because I'm thinking about establishing an annual holiday celebration in my home to commemorate it.

Personally, and IMHO, throughout the crap of '06 (and over the course of time for other crap dealt his way), and whenever he took his life back - so, I guess, for me, the public time frame for the viewing of the crossroads deal, pot of goal, or whatever transformation was the GMA/Diane Sawyer interview for ATDW. Probably before that, we just didn't get to see. Maybe the TVGuide article - we saw some glimpses then too. Late 05 through all of 06.

Year long celebrations are good, right??

Edited by AnAmeraikenInTX

When did Clay say "I not as innocent as you think I am"? Really early on, I think. When he was still on Idol? Regarding the drinking, I've heard him say a couple times recently that he doesn't, so I just believe what he says. He worked saying that into teasing people who were. He wasn't at all role-model-ish about it; it just seemed spontaneous, like part of him.

Claygasm, great find! :clap::cryingwlaughter:

~ :xmas07a:

He also said if he had a halo it would be crooked. I love that line.

The drinking this is not a big deal to me. I think I worry that if people find one he has a drink now and then it'll be like a burnt puppy thing because they hold on to that image so hard. I also remember reading...rolling stone?...that he drinks wine on occassion and something or other about not drinking in front of children. Maybe he doesn't drink at all. Maybe he has a drink once a year. I'm inclined to believe he drinks very rarely. And like Bottle, believe that Vernon really shaped Clay in a lot of ways.

Heading out for the day. Have a good day ya'll.

Speaking of posts of substance and intelligence...this one is not. :P

I decided to write me a little Jennifer and Clay silliness. If you're in the mood, it's in the Creative Writing forum, here

Now I'm off to get a little work done around the yard...and I hope Clay is off somewhere enjoying this long weekend too. :RedGuy:

Oh shit crap joy! I am at the top!

Edited by laughn

YAY! I caught up! :RedGuy:

Gibby said

I sometimes wonder if Clay WANTS to be a super-superstar like Elvis, or if it would even be a good thing for him. The pressures and demands on someone at that level are incredible.

I'm rather squicked out when he's compared to Elvis. I'm not old enough to remember young cool Elvis and mostly only remember the bad ending.

I think when I say "Clay is my Elvis" it just means that, to me, Clay is the ultimate singer/entertainer/performer. I do "remember" that sexy, cool young Elvis (not really, because I wasn't born until '63 but I went through a huge Elvis phase in my early 20's) and that is who I am referring to. Hee, hence my car licence plate CLZMYLVS. :eusa_whistle:

Oh God! How did I miss this one!!!!! It's early in the morning and I'm lusting after a picture of Clay Aiken's bare feet. Do I need medication?
kf -- I know what you mean about the feet. Slurp. Look at those long toes. Gulp.

Me too! Me too! *jostles keepingfaith & ldyjocelyn to cyber-ticke them*

Hee, can I join in with the foot fetish family? :cryingwlaughter:

To me, today Clay appears much more comfortable, happy, and satisfied than he did 3 or 4 years ago. So I have to think that for him, a slower paced career is more in keeping with the life he wants to live. It seems so to me. Or maybe he’s just taken a long time to get used to his new life. Or maybe I’m full of shit.

I don't think you are, or maybe it's just because I might be too. I think he's definitely found a balance that works for him now, and I am so so happy for him. And for me, because I think it might mean that he'll be around for a long, long time.

I'll bet if you asked him what he wanted for his career long term, he'd ended up talking about things that have nothing to do with music or comedy--things that have to do with making life better for others like UNICEF or Bubel-Aiken.

Yep, I agree.

Has everyone seen the Pollstar figures for Cary? I think they made a mistake.

No, can you bring them over? I was there so I'm interested in what they say.

I do love that pic! That was the night I fell :Thud:

There were so many casualties that night, including me, the Red Cross should have been called in.

As to comparing him to the Beatles or Elvis or whoever else -- I compare Clay to no one. I certainly never cared for Elvis so I wouldn't be doing that comparison. The Beatles were revolutionaries impacting music, culture and politics, and will always be on their own level. What I very poorly attempted to say is that Clay captured my imagination like none before. I've been through some "icons" as we all have, but nothing like this. I've always been an almost obsessive music lover and idolized a lot of bands, groups, singers, songs, albums, concerts, in a wide ranging field. And yet Clay is in a class by himself within my heart and mind. Do I compare him to Hendrix or Janis or any other? Of course not. They do not invite comparisons, and neither does Clay. And that's the point, I think, although I'm still making it very poorly. Whatever he does to anybody else, or any group of people whether a small group or millions, whether a few towns or the entire world, I cannot discount what it is that he does to me, and it's baffling and awesome. He's a major carrier of warmth, love and his special brand of charismatic sexiness. All it would take for an international epidemic is the right exposure at the right time. Obviously, that moment hasn't arrived, but I believe it's coming, Sisters!

All it would take for an international epidemic is the right exposure at the right time. Obviously, that moment hasn't arrived, but I believe it's coming, Sisters!

I love that line! WORD!!

(bolding is mine)

WORD to so many people...

its useless to quote y'all cos its just so much. I was nodding my head all the time

I am glad Jenna was able to come out to play with us. I always say she is my brain twin cos she always posts things that I agree with...only she is more articulate and a better writer than I am. Miss you girl.

Huge word to couchie and CG...yup, when he said he wants to be a role model, I never thought the role he wants to play is that of a saint. I don;t want my kids to be saints...I want them to know that its ok to be naughty, to be angry, to make mistakes...whats important is that they try to do good, be good to others and stand up for what you believe in...and BE YOURSELF!! This is what I see in Clay...so when boobgate picture came out...I just laughed!!! To me it was a picture of a guy having fun with friends...and didn't think it contradicted to being a good person.

Clay's ambitious...I so agree. BUT what are his goals?..what are his ambitions? I know some people are frustrated because they feel that he is too distracted by other things and he is not focusing on his singing career. WELL...I just don't think being a singing superstar is all that he wants in life. He truly wants to make a big difference in peoples lives not just by making music. I also think he truly enjoys being funny and entertaining people in all kinds of ways. I do believe he will live a lasting mark in this world, I believe he will be important but not just as a singer...he is just so much more than that.

I do believe he is in charge of his career overall...but I think there is one aspect of his career that he hasn;t had a handle on and that is his recordings. If there is one frustration for him I think its this. MOAM...he just let Clive take charge...MCWL although I think reflects his sentiments on Christmas...does not really show his musical direction. Strangely enough...I think it is in ATDW that he first gets the feel of having a say in his direction. Although he ended up following Clives concept...he made sure he was in charge of production and his musical vision was realized. It was a limited vision because of the compromise but I see Clay in the way these songs evolved.

What makes me extra thrilled by the coming year is the idea that Clay is ready to finally fight for full control of his sound. This is what I am looking forward to. What songs will he choose? how will it sound? I don;t know if I will like all his choices but at least they are his. I think Clay does want to get on radio...but on his terms. I think the "classics" medley was done because he wants to show people how ridiculous it is for him to follow the trends. He has to make his own music and I truly want to know how that will be. Yes he can sing them...but does he really want to sound like everyone else. I really hope he can get the CD he wants. He probably will have to compromise here and there...but as long as this is the sound he wants and most of the songs he chose...I will be happy.

With regards to expanding to the Asian market...the problem is it takes a lot of investment both in time and money to do this successfully. I see two types of artist in general that focus on the foreign market...One...those that can;t seem to penetrate the North America...they end up trying to find the audience in Asia or Europe. Then there are those that make it big in North America and is simply expanding their market internationally. These are the artist that can get the concerts, or prime TV and radio spots and great media coverage. I think after MOAM it was possible to do this but the problem is...when did Clay have the time? In 2004 he was so busy in North America...and 2005...he needed the break and he needed to focus his energy on UNICEF and to just re-charge is creativity with JBT and JNT05. IMO ATDW was the perfect vehicle for introduction to Asia...if he wants to be known as a cover artist like Micheal Buble. But that does not seem to be the image or direction he wants so I do think its best that he didn't push ATDW into the Asian market. Didn't he say to one M&Ger that he wants to wait until they have a bigger repertoire of original songs??? or was I just dreaming...anyway...I think its best he waits until he has a CD that truly reflects what he wants before he tries to conquer the international market.

So does he want to be a superstar? This was seriously going to be my question if I was lucky enough to get that M&G. If there is a superstar I want his career to be like...its Bono and Sting...well respected musicians, well known for championing important causes..and as far as I know...Sting seem to have a stable family life with a wife and kids...not sure about Bono. But I want him to have success as an entertainer...success with his causes and have a family life that is fulfilling...

Muski,...WORD...we did choose a special man to support, a true winner and I will be on this ride as long as he has a public life. So see you all in his 25th anniversay...hee

Substance?

We don't want no substance! At least not all the time!

I was playing with more of my not so stellar pictures from Newark, seeing if photoshop could save them. Here are a couple more.....

newarkclayBW2.jpg

newarkclayBW3.jpg

I posted this one right before the old thread closed....

newarkclayBW.jpg

And this one I posted ages ago - and since we have sooooooo many newbies, I figured I would post it again (besides, I kind of like it....)

wallpaperDSCF2333.jpg

Now I must leave to go out to dinner.

Hi

I am am a newbee coming out of lurkdom (where I stay most of the time )

I have a question about Clay and drinking alcohol

I have NO objection to drinking ( just had a margarita myself).

However I believe that Clay would not drink based on his birth fathers history.

I have seen reports from this recent tour that he refused champange from a hotel that he was staying at because he did not drink.

I would really like to know where you all are seeing quotes from Clay that he will have wine once in a while.

Was he seen drinking at the Gala last spring?

I am enjoying learning the ropes at this (new to me) board.

Hi, as for drinking, I think Clay never wants to be like Vernon, who had a problem with it. However, early on after Idol, he gave interviews saying he sometimes had wine with dinner, but that was about "it." Don't recall the exact story, but he used to celebrate birthdays with his friends and was always the designated driver. In his book, he spoke about telling Brett never to drive and drink and if he needed help, to call him even if he was at school in Charlotte. He would get him.

So, that is where the information came from: Clay himself. He appears to be very serious about it, but enjoys an occasional glass of wine with dinner.

However I believe that Clay would not drink based on his birth fathers history.

I have seen reports from this recent tour that he refused champange from a hotel that he was staying at because he did not drink.

I would really like to know where you all are seeing quotes from Clay that he will have wine once in a while.

Was he seen drinking at the Gala last spring?

Well Gagran, we know from reading LTS that he has had a drink...he recounts drinking the Cosmopolitan at the SNL after-party and getting tipsy. I think the point is that is he's not a 'drinker'...doesn't go out and get drunk a lot, I doubt that he considers going out and getting drunk to be the evenings entertainment, or that he thinks getting drunk is a good way to solve your problems. I don't think that precludes having a glass of wine with dinner on occassion. And if he declined a glass of champagne at a hotel, that doesn't really say much either. I've declined drinks before for various asundry reasons, and I do drink.

We can't really tell from 'visual evidence' if he takes a drink. He may have what looks like a drink in his hand, but unless you mixed it yourself youwouldn't know if it contained alcohol or was 'virgin'.

Edited by Bookwhore

IMO...I think he took his life back in 2005 when he went on those trip for UNICEF and when we went out on a limb and did JNT05. I think he started having peace with his life then...that is why the move to Raleigh and why he was able to handle the bad stuff in 2006.

WORD bookwhore about Clay and his drinking. I think the fact that he took the cosmo in that party meant that he would at times take a drink in a social situation. The fact the got tipsy it means he is not a regular drinker. I am with couchie on this...I don;t particularly care whether he drinks or not. Its just that I never heard him say that he NEVER drinks or that he will NEVER drink. I just worry at times that for some fans thsi is a big deal.

oops...CG those pictures are wonderful!!! do you have the original of the second photo!!! it looks really HAWT!!!

oops my bad again!!! forgot to welcome gargaran...gald you delurked. Hope we hear more from you.

Hi guys!!

Found my way back here - on the first try!! woohoo!!

Just in time to see those awesome photos you "played with" Claygasm They are yummy!!!

I think Clay is an awesome role model and, as others have said, he doesn't need to be a saint to be one. He's showing that you can be a success without turning to drugs and crazy livin' and you can "give back" but at the same time have fun, be a little naughty - live life to the fullest without destroying your life.

I do believe following him has made me a better person though I like to think I was okay to begin with - but he's made me more aware of disability issues, Unicef and just taking part more in caring about my fellow man. He's failed miserably on the more mundane issues though - I still drink, smoke, cuss and stay away from Church! Guess I might as well stop picking out the china!!! :cryingwlaughter:

He makes me smile - always - and for me, that is the most wonderful gift he can give me!

:DoClay:

Ansa, as I recall, Clay's remark in the M&G about needing to have a larger repertoire of original music was regarding a question about a live performance DVD. But it probably all goes together. A live DVD distributed internationally may well precede an overseas tour. I know nothing about that, but it sounds logical to me.

Tonight I watched AI1 Rewind, rerunning the first year final two again. They have been playing and replaying this thing all spring and summer it seems. I imagined that if AI2 Rewind runs through fall and winter, Clay may want to have a new CD ready by early spring to capitalize. And also he'd be set up for a summer pop tour on a contemporary album. Clay wasn't giving any guarantees, but after first saying the new CD could take forever, he then said that it could be out in early 2008. He said he could have his part completed in either one week or one month, depending on which M&G report I read. But I remember hearing a M&G report in the busline that Clay had said he could do his part in a one week with a longer time for production, artwork, etc. I guess that's how Clay can be in the big middle of recording a new album and do a Christmas tour. His part will probably be over by Thanksgiving if they've fast tracked this thing.

If this is the case, I would be surprised if there's a new Christmas album this year. But not surprised if there's a repackaged MCWL containing the AIW songs.

Kewl stuff you did on those pics, CG! :clap:

I think Clay is a drinker like he is a womanizer and a cusser. He does it; he just doesn't let it define him.

I drink more than Clay does, for sure, and sometimes I DO allow the drink to do the leading. That's the difference for me. I think, largely because of Vernon perhaps, that he's decided NOT to let alcohol get the best of him or make him lose control, and so he is moderate at times and abstinent more than not, but remains the boss of it in any case. Similarly, I don't think he's a virgin or particularly virginal, even. I think he's a very sensual and sensuous person and has a LOT of love and generosity to share and that he LOVES women, so I cannot imagine him holding back all those very natural and healthy physical and emotional urges in order to fulfill some institutional ideal of purity. But because he loves women and he's the man he is, I can't see him being a fuckem and forgetem kinda guy, so I doubt he's had the chance to carve lots of notches in his bedpost, either.

On the cussin' front is where he's most likely the least restrained, IMO! Ha! I'd love to hear him letting some "F" bombs drop during a hissy fit! The man's got a temper and he ain't no choir boy....he's just a man. A human being and a very.good.man. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

With a beautifulhumongouscock. :hubbahubba:

Edited by muskifest

Muski, Muski, Muski.

I just read Clyra, Chapters 9-13 and now have to go do double time at the gym. I'm enjoying all of that forplay and whatnot.

You are good girl!! Woo Hoo.