#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

Yes, Scarlett's stuff is wonderful - especially Waukegan! What? You say we don't have Scarlett's Waukegan? I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya!

And Scarlett, on the PM (since I'm not sure how to send to everybody), I'm will to burn & ship when and where and what you like!

Hell, I had to go back and look what I wrote in the M&G thread because for the life of me I couldn't remember!

I am loving my exclamation points today!

Gooooooooooood morning FCA! [tm Robin Williams]

Did I mention that yesterday I almost got a speeding ticket driving back from my Mom's? I was happily driving through one of the many small towns, listening to my New Hampshire JBT discs. (I think I had just hit the Motown section....which may have caused the problem....) As I'm leaving town, I notice a police officer behind me. Oooo, better keep my speed down. Well shit....there's his lights going on. Crap. Double crap. Going 42 in the 30 zone. Crap. I was nice to the guy, told him I didn't think I was doing that, but OK. Handed him my license and insurance card. Thank God he only gave me a warning.

Speaking of the JBT...I was surprised at the visceral reaction I got when BFM came on. The song isn't a great use of his voice -- but damn it, that was a fun song. I'm OK with Clay saying now that it was a cheesy thing, but I miss that song.

I was also actually kind of reflective yesterday during my drive. Driving to my Mom's, I listened to LTS, and was thinking about how much has changed for Clay since he wrote that. Funny that you were talking about almost the same thing yesterday here. Listening to him talking about his life changing so much, "running around like a chicken with his head cut off," and living in LA made me just shake my head, considering what we know now about his new life in Raleigh and the seeming slower pace he's now living and working. I was also thinking about the mass of contradictions he is to me...and how human that makes him.

Another thing that I thought of (and I don't mean to mention this as a "downer," I truly don't) was "what if Clay DOES go away from the media spotlight?" I know my first reaction would probably be anger -- directed at whom, I'm not sure. But then...I think about what Clay has brought to my life these past few years. He's given so much in the way of performances -- most captured on film or audio. There's no way to lose that. Also, because of him, I've got many new friends -- some that I think I will NEVER lose, ever. So, in the end, even if Clay does chuck it all for whatever reason (and I really don't think he will)....I end up eventually with a smile on my face.

Thank you Clay Aiken.

couchie, I don't think I've heard the moving car story either. Spill, woman!

Going around the boards I happen to stumble on this the first Japanese Clay site created by one of the girls that attended his concerts this summer.

Periodically someone rediscovers that site, which has actually been around quite awhile now. The blog is cool too. New Clay Aiken blog Of course it does help if you know a little Japanese, but you can figure some stuff out without knowing any. Purdy pictures, for instance.

I don't know about comparing him to Elvis, The Beatles, Sinatra and such. I know I've done it from time to time also, but it just seems to be more complicated than that. I think Clay is more unique in his genre. He's certainly a combination of a few of those greats and yet he's almost nothing like them. His voice is powerful, his range amazing and his timbre mesmerizing. He has an indefinable sex appeal, an allure that many don't understand. And still they fall under his spell without fully recognizing it. He commands a stage like no other these days, and he has a quicksilver wit that is difficult to compete with. His self deprecation is a defense mechanism finely honed from an early age and his talent for speaking or acting on impulse without processing through filters first may be his single greatest flaw. And yet, he is still hovering somewhere above a boxed in AI finalists secondary career with a future in TV and below a music/entertainment Icon of mega superstaH status. How is this happening? Why? To think of Clay as someone who could be major around the world seems a natural progression in thought and reason. International exposure should be easy. And yet he is confined to not just touring the states these days, but predominatly the eastern seaboard. WTH happened?! He was launched! He soared! Then he was shot full of buckshot! Who fired the gun and who provided the ammo? He has said "in reality there are few conspiracies in the world" and I just want to know how he defines it then. I'm admittedly crazy though, because I think he is an Icon already. I believe he will go down in the annals of time as a major force in the industry. It will take some doing but I also believe he will achieve international success and fame with his next CD. Yep, I'm crazy. I just want to "will it" for him and say "#1, make it so"!

I absolutely love this quote. :clap: He was on a rocket to the stars and he was shot down. Whether it was a conspiracy or just a series of incridibly stupid decisions on the part of the industry, we'll never know. The only thing I know for sure, is that the man who was driving that rocket ship is even better than he was then. He's more confident, more talented, and more accepting of his supporters. Eventually, the rest of the world will see what we see, and most of its citizens will embrace him. It's just going to take a little longer than we hoped.

Spent the day helping my sister prepare for a yard sale. SOOOOO exciting. She rewarded me with her idea of bbq - hot dogs. But at least I found MY two BOURNE movies over her house. They've been there so long she thinks they are hers but you better believe I left with them.

Ahem, Couchie! Did you get to the gym before or after you ate those hot dogs? I'm on your ass girl. Gibby get your fit butt in here and help me.

AND yes, I said fit butt.

Now back to the Family Matters thread where we started all of this!

Edited by Toots

Another thing that I thought of (and I don't mean to mention this as a "downer," I truly don't) was "what if Clay DOES go away from the media spotlight?" I know my first reaction would probably be anger -- directed at whom, I'm not sure. But then...I think about what Clay has brought to my life these past few years. He's given so much in the way of performances -- most captured on film or audio. There's no way to lose that. Also, because of him, I've got many new friends -- some that I think I will NEVER lose, ever. So, in the end, even if Clay does chuck it all for whatever reason (and I really don't think he will)....I end up eventually with a smile on my face.

Thank you Clay Aiken.

I love your attitude, ldyjocelyn. Clay really has given us a lot of great experiences in the last few years, much of it covered on video. We've had like, what? Eight tours worth of Clack? Dozens of television appearances? Not to mention the countless hours of friendships formed in the fandom? Whatever happens, I think we should savor these and appreciate just how good we've had it.

That's why I just don't feel like getting swept up in angst over what his future may hold. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him have a long, successful career. However, I don't want to waste my energies worrying about things which, realistically, I have very little control over. I know there are some who live in a state of constant anxiety over his life. I feel sorry for them. Life is too short, IMHO, to let such feelings dilute the joy Clay brings every day.

And glad you got your Bourne back, Couchie! And tell us the story!

Thanks for bringing over the Japanese site, Ansa. It always amazes me how far Clay's appeal reaches.

More on the Japanese fan site. Awhile back they did the cutest "ABCs of Clay Aiken" on the blog. The alphabet words are all in English, and each is represented by a photo. Good stuff. Here are the links:

A - G

H - N

O - U

V - Z

That is soooooooooo cute!!! I loved it when she got stuck on "o" and the first comment gives a bunch of suggestions!! :lol:

Very cool!

One thing that it is easy to forget about AI is thatthe woen et a pass and the guys struggle. WHy? I don't know, bu, except for Daughtry and his "band", all the guys get put in the same manipulative role. I sometimes wonder if it is not because the reviewers envy them so. Don't think fora minute it is just Clay, Clay was the one who actually shot out of the gate, giving him more momentum, most of the other languished after AI.

Let's review:

Season 5

Hicks - first idol not to sell a million. Started off with a Ford add that seemed to alienate people. Has been successfully touring, but several dates cancelled for lack of interest, others doing fine. He is getting a feeling for the regional appeal. Working on Next Cd, we will see

Yamin - first album out getting radio play and touring, sales pretty good at 370K, second single about to be released, we will see

Bucky Covington - doing the country route, whichstrangely enough does not treat nashville star winners or contestants very well! Sales 260K

Season 4

Bo Bice - 670K sold - dropped by RCA (I suspect because of his health) no promotion ofr new album coming out.

Constantine - OK now this guy is really disliked by some people, but no one actively trying to destroy him. Sold 12K

Season 3

JPL - no idea on sales, but nt a lot.

Season 2

Ruben sales off to a good start, gets some radio play but not as much in sales. off to record 4th album. I think the competion with Clay helped as it also helped Clay.

Season 1 Justin Guarini 143K and dropped. the others are not even a blip on the radar.

How many of these guys are the joke point of DJs? Try jsut about all of them for one reason or another.How many ofthese are still connected to AI despite their various endeavors - try all of them.

Clay has to accept that what is good for women is not so good for guys and he will be associated with AI until iit goes off the air, probably in not to distant future.

That's why I just don't feel like getting swept up in angst over what his future may hold. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him have a long, successful career. However, I don't want to waste my energies worrying about things which, realistically, I have very little control over. I know there are some who live in a state of constant anxiety over his life. I feel sorry for them. Life is too short, IMHO, to let such feelings dilute the joy Clay brings every day.

Wordy McWord to you and ldyj!!

Interesting thoughts, playbiller! It does seem that the "entertainment" side of the industry--that is, the magazines, the entertainment shows, the commentary shows, and so forth, are more positive towards women. Maybe because it's still a male-dominated industry??

The Japanese site of "ABC's" needs to update X with this picture, methinks....

186441439_5527.jpg

Eventually, the rest of the world will see what we see, and most of its citizens will embrace him. It's just going to take a little longer than we hoped.

I used to think like this too texwriter, I really did. But, in another contemplative moment (which I seem to have quite frequently anymore, in regards to Clay and my fandom, anyway), I realized that at least some of the world may NEVER understand what we as fans see in Clay. Let's put it this way: I do not think I will ever see what is so attractive about Tom Cruise. I felt like this before his meltdowns, BTW. But yet, there are people simply DEVOTED to him. I feel that way about a great deal other celebrities as well. Now, I do realize that many people, once they see Clay in a performance after only hearing his name bandied about, will come around and go "whoa." But I do think there are people out there who will go "eh." Thing is -- that's OK. If we all liked the same things in this world, the place would be boring as hell. But yet, there have been many times within this fandom where I've gotten the "EVERYONE MUST LOVE CLAY AIKEN" vibe. I'm at the point now in my life where that's another thing I can't worry about. I just move on and find someone who does appreciate him.

But I do totally agree with the "it's gonna take longer than we hoped" statement. Patience isn't a real strong virtue of this fandom, IMO -- practically non-existent, actually. I think Clay's career hit blast-off point in 2003 -- lots of jet fuel blasting him into space. But now, his orbit has settled down into cruising speed, with some accelerations and deaccelerations throughout the journey. The ride will go as fast as he deems it, to me anyway. I just don't know if Clay's got a lead foot or not. Unlike me yesterday. *g*

:F_05BL17blowkiss: and WORD to JennaZ!

I absolutely love this quote. :clap: He was on a rocket to the stars and he was shot down. Whether it was a conspiracy or just a series of incridibly stupid decisions on the part of the industry, we'll never know

Well I don't believe there's a conspiracy against Clay. Oh I think there are mean sordid, nasty, people behind the tabloid stuff and that's an obstacle Clay is being forced to face unfairly but don't think there is a plotted effort from the industry to bring Clay down. Who is the industry anyway? .I'll go with decisions, not even incredibly stupid decisions at every turn. Staying on top in any part of the entertainment business is not an easy task. Hot today, who tomorrow.

Do not forget that Clay is part of TEAM CLAY. Decisions were made that then precluded other things happening. For instance, let's take this whole international exposure thing. I've heard that Simon Cowell owned the rights so he forbit it. Or I heard Simon Cowell owned the rights so Clay didn't want to give him any money so he cut his own throat. Neither of those make sense to me. The easiest explanation for me to believe and it may not be right but it makes the most sense to me was this from Ansa.

With regards to expanding to the Asian market...the problem is it takes a lot of investment both in time and money to do this successfully. I see two types of artist in general that focus on the foreign market...One...those that can;t seem to penetrate the North America...they end up trying to find the audience in Asia or Europe. Then there are those that make it big in North America and is simply expanding their market internationally. These are the artist that can get the concerts, or prime TV and radio spots and great media coverage. I think after MOAM it was possible to do this but the problem is...when did Clay have the time? In 2004 he was so busy in North America...and 2005...he needed the break and he needed to focus his energy on UNICEF and to just re-charge is creativity with JBT and JNT05. IMO ATDW was the perfect vehicle for introduction to Asia...if he wants to be known as a cover artist like Micheal Buble. But that does not seem to be the image or direction he wants so I do think its best that he didn't push ATDW into the Asian market.

He was hot in 2003 and 2004 and perhaps he should have gone international during that period instead of touring for almost all of 2004 writing a book and putting out a Xmas album? Those were choices Team Clay made. Whose decision was that? Was it Clives? Probably the Xmas album. Was it the industry? No. Establishing himself in the United States seemed to take priority. And remember when he went to London after Idol the only people who recognized him were fans from South Africa. In most places he would not have been able to piggy back off the idol success. But because 2004 was an incredible year as a fan for me. I guess, reluctantly, in hindsight, I would have given up say NAT to share him with the rest of the world because he surely couldn't be in two places at the same time.

Ahem, Couchie! Did you get to the gym before or after you ate those hot dogs? I'm on your ass girl. Gibby get your fit butt in here and help me.

are you trying to tell me manual labor isn't exercise? hee I did shoot hoops with the kids..does that count?

whooo hooo... I so agree. There are a lot of could of beens, should have beens, why aren't theres... but he's still here and time is marching on. He's working on an album and more opportunities are coming his way. It is a journey and there will continue to be peaks and valleys for the rest of his time as an entertainer.

Isn't Idol rewind coming up soon for season 2. I don't know what sort of ratings this show gets but surely it can't hurt to have him on TV on a weekly basis. He will be extremely busy the rest of the year on touring and recording. He's still here and having a career millions can only dream of.

Oh and the story is not that great. Basically, I had a holier than thou attitude about my fandom in 2003. I'm not chasing any bus. I'm not bugging Jerome to try to get backstage. I'm not making cookies for Jerome. I'm not buying Clay a gift. I'm not standing around in the hot sun looking at an empty bus. Well we went over to the Anaheim venue... GraceDimitri fan was drving and for the life of me I forget who else in the car. I think churchmouse and Surf4Sue. Well we pull into the venue..and there's the big bus... GraceDimitrifan was pulling over to let us out and I think all three off jumped out of the car before it had come to a complete stop all the while completely abandoning GDfan. Probably clue #10 that I had lost my mind just a little bit.

Interesting thoughts, playbiller! It does seem that the "entertainment" side of the industry--that is, the magazines, the entertainment shows, the commentary shows, and so forth, are more positive towards women. Maybe because it's still a male-dominated industry??

I read somewhere and believe, unfortunately, that the majority of men are afraid to let it be known that, in the male category, they like anything other than "macho" rock singers. For the obvious, unfortunately, reason.

That's why I think Clay's humor is going to serve him very well. It makes it ok for men to like him. Stupid, but...

I think the main problem with Taylor, Justin, Bo and even Ruben was the music they put out. But Play you said something important. We shall see. Yep, a career isn't defined by the first couple years. Let's see where everybody is in 10 years. And the girls aren't really doing that much better other than a few standouts. Most of the also rans are just that, also rans - and many of them are VERY talented.

I'm not so happy that my hubby and I are taking the name of this weekend holiday literally. <_< We cleaned like banshees yesterday and I even cooked a dinner and all four of us were home to sit down and eat it! :scream: The girls cleaned up afterwards! :scream: Then three of us watched iRobot together on tv! :scream:

And now my hubby's being a good boy and heading to the gym...I'm sitting on my ass and checking in with my peeps before taking older daughter to a friend's house and then getting a latte and sitting on my ass to read the paper.

Younger daughter (like mother, like younger daughter) is still asleep. :clap:

It's a beautiful day here. sigh....I should move my ass. sigh.

Oh well, time to go get my latte! Later! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh, and Playbiller....I never meant to suggest that Justin is a ROLE MODEL! yuck and gross. No, I meant that he seems to have a head on his shoulders for business AND he's tapped into the market that is providing a nice career for him. He's no role model in my book (for many of those reasons you listed), but he DOES appear to be commandeering his career and not vice versa (like the lost girls I mentioned)

Edited by muskifest

I read somewhere and believe, unfortunately, that the majority of men are afraid to let it be known that, in the male category, they like anything other than "macho" rock singers. For the obvious, unfortunately, reason.

That's why I think Clay's humor is going to serve him very well. It makes it ok for men to like him. Stupid, but...

I totally agree. When it comes to humor, sometimes he appeals to guys more than women *gasp*. And hooray for that!

The Japanese site of "ABC's" needs to update X with this picture, methinks....

186441439_5527.jpg

BWAH!!!

Eventually, the rest of the world will see what we see, and most of its citizens will embrace him. It's just going to take a little longer than we hoped.

I used to think like this too texwriter, I really did. But, in another contemplative moment (which I seem to have quite frequently anymore, in regards to Clay and my fandom, anyway), I realized that at least some of the world may NEVER understand what we as fans see in Clay. Let's put it this way: I do not think I will ever see what is so attractive about Tom Cruise. I felt like this before his meltdowns, BTW. But yet, there are people simply DEVOTED to him. I feel that way about a great deal other celebrities as well. Now, I do realize that many people, once they see Clay in a performance after only hearing his name bandied about, will come around and go "whoa." But I do think there are people out there who will go "eh." Thing is -- that's OK. If we all liked the same things in this world, the place would be boring as hell. But yet, there have been many times within this fandom where I've gotten the "EVERYONE MUST LOVE CLAY AIKEN" vibe. I'm at the point now in my life where that's another thing I can't worry about. I just move on and find someone who does appreciate him.

But I do totally agree with the "it's gonna take longer than we hoped" statement. Patience isn't a real strong virtue of this fandom, IMO -- practically non-existent, actually. I think Clay's career hit blast-off point in 2003 -- lots of jet fuel blasting him into space. But now, his orbit has settled down into cruising speed, with some accelerations and deaccelerations throughout the journey. The ride will go as fast as he deems it, to me anyway. I just don't know if Clay's got a lead foot or not. Unlike me yesterday. *g*

:F_05BL17blowkiss: and WORD to JennaZ!

Smart stuff, my friend, smart stuff.

And more smart stuff:

I absolutely love this quote. :clap: He was on a rocket to the stars and he was shot down. Whether it was a conspiracy or just a series of incridibly stupid decisions on the part of the industry, we'll never know

Well I don't believe there's a conspiracy against Clay. Oh I think there are mean sordid, nasty, people behind the tabloid stuff and that's an obstacle Clay is being forced to face unfairly but don't think there is a plotted effort from the industry to bring Clay down. Who is the industry anyway? .I'll go with decisions, not even incredibly stupid decisions at every turn. Staying on top in any part of the entertainment business is not an easy task. Hot today, who tomorrow.

Do not forget that Clay is part of TEAM CLAY. Decisions were made that then precluded other things happening. For instance, let's take this whole international exposure thing. I've heard that Simon Cowell owned the rights so he forbit it. Or I heard Simon Cowell owned the rights so Clay didn't want to give him any money so he cut his own throat. Neither of those make sense to me. The easiest explanation for me to believe and it may not be right but it makes the most sense to me was this from Ansa.

With regards to expanding to the Asian market...the problem is it takes a lot of investment both in time and money to do this successfully. I see two types of artist in general that focus on the foreign market...One...those that can;t seem to penetrate the North America...they end up trying to find the audience in Asia or Europe. Then there are those that make it big in North America and is simply expanding their market internationally. These are the artist that can get the concerts, or prime TV and radio spots and great media coverage. I think after MOAM it was possible to do this but the problem is...when did Clay have the time? In 2004 he was so busy in North America...and 2005...he needed the break and he needed to focus his energy on UNICEF and to just re-charge is creativity with JBT and JNT05. IMO ATDW was the perfect vehicle for introduction to Asia...if he wants to be known as a cover artist like Micheal Buble. But that does not seem to be the image or direction he wants so I do think its best that he didn't push ATDW into the Asian market.

He was hot in 2003 and 2004 and perhaps he should have gone international during that period instead of touring for almost all of 2004 writing a book and putting out a Xmas album? Those were choices Team Clay made. Whose decision was that? Was it Clives? Probably the Xmas album. Was it the industry? No. Establishing himself in the United States seemed to take priority. And remember when he went to London after Idol the only people who recognized him were fans from South Africa. In most places he would not have been able to piggy back off the idol success. But because 2004 was an incredible year as a fan for me. I guess, reluctantly, in hindsight, I would have given up say NAT to share him with the rest of the world because he surely couldn't be in two places at the same time.

<snip>

Isn't Idol rewind coming up soon for season 2. I don't know what sort of ratings this show gets but surely it can't hurt to have him on TV on a weekly basis. He will be extremely busy the rest of the year on touring and recording. He's still here and having a career millions can only dream of.

I wouldn't give up NAT for international superstardom for Clay--I wouldn't. For selfish reasons. Besides, it was his first solo tour, and, I think (not sure), his most successful in terms of the number of dates and the revenue earned, and it cemented his reputation as a successful touring artist.

Other decisions by Team Clay that have delayed the rocketship:

BAF, UNICEF, moving back to NC

Wouldn't give those up either.

I think when Clay and his people sat down and worked out a long-term plan it was just that, a long-term plan. They wanted to go for a career of many years, as opposed to a white-hot career trajectory that would burn out in a few years. I also think he chose diversity, as opposed to a single-minded pursuit of pop superstardom. I think he chose success that satisfies over "fame" per se. Not all of these are decisions that some of his fans would've made for him, but nonetheless, these were his decisions to make.

The focus on Christmas is another one of those decisions. I wouldn't have picked it, but I've come to love it, and it has given him things he might not otherwise have had: Three additional successful tours, an album that sells every year, radio play, a television special and another one to come, an opportunity to sing Christian music "under cover" so to speak. Now, if he'd devoted that energy to his pop career, he might've gone farther as a pop music singer by now, but, again, this decision gives him an anchor to base a long-term career on. It's equally possible that without the Christmas anchor, his career would be nowhere already.

This little part of "we" isn't even particularly disappointed that he isn't a bigger star than he is. Does that make me a bad fan?

This post is so long no one will notice I'm on top. Hee. YAY

Edited by jmh123

I wouldn't give up NAT for international superstardom for Clay--I wouldn't. For selfish reasons.

This post is so long no one will notice I'm on top. Hee. YAY

Bwah

and I wouldn't either. It's easy to say now that it's 3 years ago. heh.

loved your paragraph about the Xmas tour. I know many fans have not wanted him to do that evey year. I even thought every other year would be better but Clay loves doing that tour and now he is working on year 4 of it. It's something he loves doing and he said early on that he wanted it to become a tradition. What other things could he be doing, television wise during the holidays, if not tied up on tour every year. But this is one of those choices that makes him happy (joyful noise and all that).

Conspiracy theories - well, I can't support them because I would have to thinkthat Clay is leading me astray with his remark that there are very few conspiracy theories and i would rather discuss the second gunmen if we have to discuss conspiracy because physics and vector analysis is involved.

We would also have to eliminate RCA from any conspiracy theory since Clay said he was happy to be with them. For everyone who was wishing that Clay would leave RCA and go to a small independent lab le, I say, let's see how many Bo sells under now that his fans got their wish and he is no longer with RCA (and he is a "rocker" to boot!)

Sorry, I ain't buying that bridge in Borooklyn to feel bad about Clay - not everything is easy. AI2 was not shown in many countries overseas, but the subsequent years were and that makes it easy for some of the others with established fan bases. I hope AI rewind does get shown overseas to make it easier for Clay.

I am not even much into comparing idols, I should feel ashamed for my list since each one is unique and has different challenges. A few can't even sing, talk about making it difficult for them.

Duh, I keep coming here to post something and I keep forgetting.

Fair markets itself to a younger set

The fair's MySpace visitors also can see the concert lineup, play games and listen to the fair's humorous radio spots.

If they'd rather watch the fair's television spots, fair friends can also log on to YouTube.com and search for Kansas State Fair.

While there, Stoecklein notes with delight, they'll also find several other fair-related videos posted by users -- including a clip of hypnotist Ron Diamond in action and snippets of Clay Aiken and Carrie Underwood performing at past fairs.

OK, so who is going to the Kansas State Fair to bring this report of what they are showing? Is it clack being showed without permission or video they took - NEW CLACK!!!

Conspiracy theories?? Sure not into wastin Ma time! wondering and hating.

I'm amazed that Clay's concerts dont' sell out every.single.time but that's because I can't understand why everyone doesn't know how freakin fabulous he is! I think it's awesome that he's become such a TV ratings grabber though. Building relationships for his next album promotion is very smart IMHO. I bet Tyra is just chomping at the bit to have him back on and he said in a M&G that he won't be on again until the new CD comes out.

I want him to be an international success sooooooooo badly!! I think Asia would go nuts for him and, selfishly, it would give me a great excuse to visit my son in Hong Kong and the ability to drag him with me to see what's captivated his mother's heart. For now, he's just amazingly perplexed!! I do have his g/f turned onto Clay though or at least she's pretending to be to suck up to the possible future MIL! Hee!

I sometimes wonder if I want Superstardom for Clay because he deserves it or because I would then feel validated when many of my snootier friends would have to agree with me that he's awesome. I think, actually, that the second reason has a lot to do with it. :RedGuy:

In any evert, I think becoming Mr. Christmas was brilliant and has kept him out front and on the TV every December, which is very cool. Even those who don't call themselves fans will usually give him props for his Christmas music. I defy anyone to listen to "Mary Did You Know" and not be blown away!

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!

How could anyone not Love this guy!!!

ClayTampa6-1.jpg

CARY.jpg

eyelashes-cropped.jpg

:Thud::Thud::Thud:

Edited by canuck2010

I absolutely love this quote. :clap: He was on a rocket to the stars and he was shot down. Whether it was a conspiracy or just a series of incridibly stupid decisions on the part of the industry, we'll never know.

See, I never thought he was on any rocket ship to the stars. I never thought he was as big (now you know what I mean!) as some thought he was. He rode the wave of AI frenzy for a year. It was because of the publicity brought on by the competition between Clay and Ruben that made AI so popular that year. It was because of that show he was on so many magazine covers that first year. It was because of AI that he was on as many TV shows that first year. It was because of AI he sold so many copies of MOAM that first week. It was even because of the popularity of AI that he drew the majority of fans during the IT with Kelly.

But, as that began to calm down, as people began to move on, things slowed down for Clay. To me proof of that comes just from looking at the sales for MOAM. Ok, it sold 600,000 the first week. MANY fans bought multiples to make sure he would sell more than Ruben, a habit that many Clay fans still possess that IMO skews many of Clay's sales results. Still, he sold 600,000 that first week. To date - 4 years later - he has still not sold 3 million. That means (and my math may be bad here....) he sold about maybe about 1/5 of his total sales in that one week. I think that says a lot.

(ETA: It was pointed out to me that my math - as I suspected - was wrong, so I changed that - but I stick by my point!)

I believe that to many - not to those of us who stuck around - Clay was a novelty. He was cute and charming and funny and had a great voice. They bought MOAM and played it once, put it away and went on with their lives. If anything derailed his rocketship to the stars it was the AI frenzy dying down and simple attrition. Long before ATDW, long before the crap of 2006, people were saying "whatever happened to Clay Aiken". Most people I knew I had no clue who he was - until I reminded them of AI2. Frankly, I believe even if ATDW had been a different type of album and had sold really, really well he would have not had the type of media frenzy he had in 2003/2004. That will never, IMO, be duplicated. And that was because of that season of AI and the way it ended.

I get sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of people saying his career was undermined either by conspiracy or incredibly stupid industry decisions. First off, I don't consider his career having been derailed and I don't think ANYONE purposefully tried to do that to him. I also believe Clay had a lot to do with the direction his career has taken and how it has slowed down. I am not going to rehash all the "RCA done Clay wrong" crap because I am sick of it and it came very close to driving me out of this fandom. But come on folks! Get real! That rocket ship was an illusion. He came out of the gate fast BECAUSE OF AI. It was only natural that all that would calm down, people would find other interests and move on. Were mistakes made with the handling of aspects of his career. Sure. But they all weren't made by RCA forcing him to do a covers CD.

While I think Clay will be around for a long, long time, I don't think he will ever be as big as Elvis or the Beatles or even Kelly or Carrie at any one time. Clay is unique and I suspect his career path may be as unique as him. I don't need him to be on any rocket ship. I don't need him to be the biggest and the bestest. I just want him to do what he wants to do and hopefully be around to sing to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for a really long time. There are many, many artists out there who have been around forever who have never gone triple platinum, or even just platinum. There are many, many artists out there who have been around forever and never won a Grammy. Its not that important.

I love your attitude, ldyjocelyn. Clay really has given us a lot of great experiences in the last few years, much of it covered on video. We've had like, what? Eight tours worth of Clack? Dozens of television appearances? Not to mention the countless hours of friendships formed in the fandom? Whatever happens, I think we should savor these and appreciate just how good we've had it.

That's why I just don't feel like getting swept up in angst over what his future may hold. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him have a long, successful career. However, I don't want to waste my energies worrying about things which, realistically, I have very little control over. I know there are some who live in a state of constant anxiety over his life. I feel sorry for them. Life is too short, IMHO, to let such feelings dilute the joy Clay brings

Or what Jenna said.

Or what couchie said - only I am selfish and I wouldn't have given up the NAT for anything!

whooo hooo... I so agree. There are a lot of could of beens, should have beens, why aren't theres... but he's still here and time is marching on. He's working on an album and more opportunities are coming his way. It is a journey and there will continue to be peaks and valleys for the rest of his time as an entertainer.

There are lots of could have beens and should have beens in anyone's career, in anyone's life! And that's my point. He may have come out of the gate like a rocket ship but in real life, that kind of frenzy could never have been maintained - and from things he has said I don't think he would have wanted it to stay like that. Frankly, for someone who has only been in this business for 4 years, I think he is doing phenomenally well. He has 2 albums that have gone at least platinum and one that has gone gold. He has a best selling book under his belt. He has done how many tours? He has had his own TV special (even if I did hate it....). He appears on TV even when he has nothing to promote. His name gets mentioned for no reason a lot. Is he the biggest thing in music? No, and guess what? He never was and was never going to be. But he has accomplished a lot and I believe will continue to accomplish a lot.

I just have a feeling he won't be following any expected path.

And thank you for allowing me to start my day with a rant. That felt good! :RedGuy:

Edited by Claygasm

Couchie, shooting hoops is good!

I can see Clay reaping the rewards from AI rewind. That's the place all of his fans found him and those who left may come back with renewed interest. I just goooooooo over him when watching the AI2 videos replay. He was extremely cute back then and that may appeal to younger fans who missed him the first time around. When they discover how hawt he is now, well it's all over but the stalking singing.

Play, spot on with the AI summary! The media (whoever that is) just doesn't like AI winners even tho it's the most popular show on TV. They were sucking up to Kelly until her new album and the fight with Clive hit the street. Turned like worms after that. Carrie Underwood is pretty much untouched by it all because she's country, very successful and doesn't often step in the shit.

I don't like to watch the entertainment crap news shoes or read anything that entertainment reporters write because their focus is on the negative. Very few people go around saying how happily married they are while those who are unhappy love to tell all!

I admire Clay for coming out with "I'm medicated" before some asshole jerk discovered it and made Clay another target for their venom. It seems Bo's career derailed because of the health issues and much speculation as to what is wrong. Why can't we just enjoy people's talents and not constantly try to put them down?

I agree with the opinion that Justin T. is not a good role model. I heard him say "I take way too many drugs" on some show and then there is the penis box song thing that some think is funny. I think he's disgusting and I don't get the cuteness factor at all.

BUT, there aren't many critics or people out there who don't give Clay credit for having a great voice.

Edited by Toots

Good morning! My sister and "our" guests have left for the day. I'm a single woman again! Weeee!!

More on the Japanese fan site. Awhile back they did the cutest "ABCs of Clay Aiken" on the blog. The alphabet words are all in English, and each is represented by a photo. Good stuff. Here are the links:

All I get are question marks.... wah! I need fonts or something... any ideas?

As to the topic... I started to babble; then I saw everyone elses thoughts and almost tossed my babbling and then I thought, oh, what the hell... can't waste a good Sunday morning babble! Hee.

Suffah or scroll!

It's really interesting to me how we all see life so differently - coming from all sorts of backgrounds, and having so many different life experiences and expectations and styles. It's fascinating, eh? Thanks to whoever started this convo today!

I don't think Clay's a "superstar" or a major force in the industry; I just think he's a regular guy with some really hot talents, who is working through his career like a regular human being and I'm enjoying the shit out of following where it goes. Honestly, I don't even know what a superstar is... Who is a superstar? How did they get there? Who are we talking about here? Let's compare some contemporaries, not Elvis or The Beatles. The current world can't compare to those days so it makes no sense to me to even try to fit Clay into those scenarios. Is Kelly a superstar? Is that what we're supposed to compare Clay's career to? Because I don't see that comparison either. And really, I guess I don't compare and judge MY own life to anyone else, so I'm not sure why I'd do that to Clay...Sure, maybe when I think about my career and my peers who chose a different path; the one of corporate contracts and climbing the ladder and how they have more money than I do, and also more debt and blah, blah... I might compare sometimes, but in the end, I made conscious choices and I'm happy with those. I'm me. And they are them. And I'm not all angry or feel like a loser because my BMW is smaller than their BMW... or my old house has less bedrooms than their newer house... I chose mine; they chose theirs. Could I have taken their same path? Sure. But I was aware of myself enough to know that the path they were going down was great for them; but not what I wanted. Do I have regrets? Never. Not once. I adore my life. Oh, wait... Clay doesn't have complete control of his life!!!11! Yeah, neither did I for awhile there. Phew. Glad I made the best of that controlling relationship so I could have the kind of freedom I have now. Yay me.

I totally agree with ldyjocelyn about Clay's appeal. I love Clay like whoa! He's a great singer. He's funny and witty and cute and I adore him to pieces. But I don't expect anyone else to. He's magic to me. Not magic to the world. He's alluring to me; I don't expect anyone else to see what I see any more than I expect my friends to fall head over heels in love with my husband (not that I have one, but you know what I mean). And I'm glad as hell that I have the Clay Aiken Traveling Audience to share all that adoration with. But I never ever think anyone else "should" like him too... they do or they don't. That's cool. And Tom Cruise... is gross! LOL!

I never saw a "rocket", except in the beginning when both he and I (and I presume most of us) were caught up in the excitement and newness of it all. Oh, I definitely think Clay can have most of whatever he wants; he's the kind of person who will get it because he wants it and is willing to work hard, be introspective, figure out what he can control and what he can't and not get bogged down kicking and screaming like a two-year old who wants the candy. Therefore he can move forward towards the longer-term rewards. It's a mindset. He can have it now; or he can have some of it now and some of it later. He's shown me that he is in it for the long term. I like that about him. It's one of my favorite qualities.

Clay owns his career. Sure, he has a contract with a major that he is beholden to, but that's only his boot camp, IMO. After he fulfills that duty is when I'll look to him to see what he truly wants to do -- yes, the contract restricts him, but it also forces him to stop and look around. See above. In the meantime, I think he's doing pretty damn well. That whole "make him a superstar, dammit" mentality escapes me. I don't want him to be a superstar, whatever that means, I think he wants to be really good at a lot of things; experience as much in this industry that he can, and use the entertainment industry to drive his philanthropic goals. I respect that WAY more than just grab, grab, grab of superstardom. RCA owns his recording career and that's all. He owns what he does with that exposure and how he's banking stuff into his little career savings account to use for later purchases. They can't wreck him; they can only keep his singing where they want it and that's their choice. They own that part of him right now. It's what he signed up for. It's up to Clay to deal with that by either feeling like a victim or making the best of the opportunities presented to him by way of this relationship. And I don't see him squandering away opportunities. Clay will be whatever he's supposed to be... he'll get to it; it doesn't have to happen yesterday for me...and I don't think for him either. I guess that's why I never feel any anger on his behalf regarding his career. JP can burn in hell, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

On preview... the twindom lives!!

I might have to cheat on you sometimes with Canucky tho...

I sometimes wonder if I want Superstardom for Clay because he deserves it or because I would then feel validated when many of my snootier friends would have to agree with me that he's awesome. I think, actually, that the second reason has a lot to do with it. :RedGuy:

Since my post this morning seems to have set off a lot of discussion, and at least one rant (waves to Claygasm), I feel the need to defend it just a little. Yes, the rocket ship was fueled by AI, but I haven't noticed any other AI winner (or almost winner) come off the show with anywhere near the same degree of popularity. His record tying Christmas sales came a full year and a half after AI ended. It wasn't until January 2006 and the subsequent "mandated" album that the rocket seemed to run dangerously low on fuel. I, in no way, want to be responsible for rants or heated debate. As I said, when I joined last week, I am in this fandom for the FUN. However, I do enjoy intelligent discussion regarding this crazy ride we've all been on for the last few years. I saw a lot of intelligent discussion yesterday and this morning, and have enjoyed reading all of it. :allgood: I think we are all entitled to our opinions, and hope that mine will be taken as just that, my opinion.

Regardless of the factors that have brought Clay to this place in time, or the potential factors that will lead him down the road not taken, I'll be following right along behind him. I'm having the time of my life and I'm appreciating the opportunity to post my reflections here. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA: I guess I had no idea that using the word "conspiracy" would be categorized as beating a dead horse. I will certainly make note of that and remove it from my vocabulary. :medium-smiley-070:

Edited by texwriter

Thank you my dear CG and her twin YSRN for the rants, which are far superior to the one I wrote and ditched. I hatessss whining about poor, poor Clay who been done wrong. Not that he ain't ever been, but sheeesh, you couldn't find a hair or a smidgen of skin left on the carcass of that dead horse it's been beat so damn much. Perfectly good fans are being driven away by the incessant poor-Claying. I can only imagine what it's doing to the non-fans. It ain't making him look good to anybody and it ain't good PR that's for damned sure!! Like couchie said,

He's still here and having a career millions can only dream of.

On a lighter note, for the toe lovers, 12 seconds of bliss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9kqDB8cvg&NR=1

ETA: Sorry about that texwriter, we posted simultaneously. I hear you, and I appreciate what you are saying, but very good arguments have already been stated today as to why the so-called mandated ATDW, which I love, should not carry the weight for any fizzling of rocketships, so I ain't going there again. I'll just say that I still proudly wear my drought of '05 tee shirt.

Edited by jmh123