#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

Hey, Claygasm! One of your photoshopped B&W pics is being used as the background at Ideal Idol. Someone over at CV was asking whether the original had ever been posted, because she wants it (you can find the post in the focus thread if you want to answer her). Congrats on having people recognize your great picture!

It is? I don't get out much, so the fact anyone brought it over from here surprised me, much less use it as the background of someone's site!

Thing is, the reason I photoshopped it the original sucked! The lighting was bad and it was out of focus! Here is the orginal so you can all see what I mean!

Original: taggedDSCF2388.jpg

Photoshopped: newarkclayBW3.jpg

Now I really must get to the grocery store!

A foot-stompin wine party sounds fun. So, what time will you all be here? :lol: Yep, they are from my vine. Not enough to make wine probably, but I bet I could get at least one jar of jam out of it. I guess I'll try that. I've never done it, but there's always a first time.

I did make an apple pie from scratch (crust and all) yesterday with apples from the WAY overloaded tree. My niece and I had fun making it and it was de-lish! This is the first year in seven that the apples were this good and this plentiful! Yay!

apples.jpg

pie.jpg

Also... from neelieb2 at the CH:

The audio for "Lover All Alone" from 4192spooky in Ashville is so amazing that when you listen to it in your car it sounds like Clay is in the car with you singing. It doesn't even sound like it was taken at a concert. All of her audio from Ashville is beyond exceptional, it sounds like Clay is singing right into her microphone. Were you sitting on his lap for this concert? hee I love you 4192spooky, thank you.

I first and foremost agree with every post regarding Clay having the career he wants, one he’s comfortable with and that allows a full rich life of service. I just happen to think and feel that he’s on the verge of blowing up huge.

I don’t think anybody, including Clay, had any idea how big his two minutes on AI5 would turn out to be. Oh, I do think Clay was determined to maximize the appearance and differentiate himself from his impersonator as much as possible. Nobody could predict the pure magic that happened onstage. Electricity, confusion, elation, purely perfect resolution, and all manner of heightened emotions were at play. It was lovely. It was elegant. It was hot. It was big news. It was the buzz.

If Clay, at that time, had been sitting on a finished recording of hot material, and I do stress HOT because I’m not convinced any “phantom” album either existed, or would have been hot, then such an album would have been poised for huge success. But that album never existed. I think that just as soon as Team Clay and RCA realized that ATDW was now between them and the contemporary album, they decided to complete and release it in 90 days and immediately begin work on the new vision, the big market. It wouldn’t surprise me if a large group of the music industry and media didn’t know this too, since there are probably few secrets in Hollywood. None of the inside music scene people seemed to like the record, but mostly panned it only because it was covers, and many critics openly requested better material for Clay. I think they knew that something was simmering just beneath the surface.

Clay has received a kindly press response, and has been a TV presence, since AI5. The Insider actively promotes him. His made-for-TV, little nothing scandals like Kelly Ripa and Toegate were blown up beyond recognition, going beyond tabloid to news. There’s something going on out there.

Oh yeah, the most important thing of all is that Clay looks immensely happy. He well may have been feeling a downturn when AI5 hit. Or maybe the sly fox knew exactly what he was doing and everything has played right into his hands. Whatever his state of mind, I think circumstances have played into his hands. When he began talking about a new album in the spring, he and Jaymes were looking for a single producer. He thought this album needed a single guiding hand unified sound. I take the leap of faith that Clay and Jaymes and RCA were already sitting on all the songs when Clay and Jaymes went off in search of a producer. Clay said that at the end of the tour they would sit down and listen to what the new producer had done before signing a contract or releasing his name. So ….. the last weekend of the tour Clay tells a M&G that Jaymes called that day to say that the label had approved two songs. I think this process is moving along at a nice clip. I do know that if this record is everything they want it to be, that it will have a big roll-out. Maybe that’s why Clay saved his money on ATDW. I think, in so many ways, that ATDW was a great big open-mouthed kiss from Clay to his fans. I’ll always love it so much, and I can’t imagine that I’ll ever stop listening to it.

I also see something in his eyes when I watch his last banter and BYLM at Orlando. There’s a retrospective quality to it. I think he’s knows he’s about to be off on a new adventure.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!!!! And I conclude this epistle to justifying nothing with this -- Clay Aiken has the best story ever. Once you fall for the voice, or the smile, or the pants, then any attempt to resist the story of his life is completely futile. Then you have to love him. And then you start traveling.

172428470-L.jpg

Edited by keepingfaith

I think of Clay's career like a toy glider. If you throw it straight up into the air as far as you can, it may go up high, but it immediately crashes back onto the ground. However, if you wait until the wind is right and throw it at just the right angle, it soars.

I think Clay is just about to soar.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Wow! So many great points! I'd pass the WORD's around more specifically, but I'm reading the board on my Blackberry, which makes formatting difficult.

I do agree that, for better or worse, Clay has not been a passive participant in his career. While he may not have had total control of every aspect, especially early on, I think that he bears some responsibility for where he is now-which IMHO-is NOT a bad place. He may not be all over the radio, selling out arenas, but he's still touring, still getting TV bookings, and perhaps most importantly, he's still sane and apparently happy. If he had focused on his music more than his philanthropic endeavors, if he had sung songs that got radio play but that he didn't enjoy singing, if he had made decisions solely to make himself rich and popular, he might have been on the top of the charts, but he might also be sitting in rehab somewhere.

Clay may not be a superstar, but I think he's in a decent position with a lot of potential to go further.

great point...lets say invisible went to no. 1 and he got 2 or three more hits from MOAM...knowing the panic attacks ...the problem Clay had adjusting to all the sudden fame...I really think Clay would've retreated after MOAM. I really think the slow and steady route is the best for Clay's situation. I bet if Clay does go to the next level of success where he can sell out 5 to 10 K arenas...we will be missing the good ol days when it was easier to get those front row seats and Clay was more accessible.

keepingfaith

I think you're "right on"!!! I also sat up and took notice when Clay blogged about having things "in the works" or somesuch and some of them being "exciting". I can't wait until he lets us know what those things are.

I have no worries about his career. He's just too damn good and I think the people who matter, know it!

I never expected Clive Davis to have Clay's best interests at heart. It's not his role at all. Of course, you'd like to think it's not all business and there is some mentoring and nurturing, but c'mon... it's just business. He just wants to make money off the guy. Use him and spit him out. Like Bill Gates wants to do with his finest engineers. It's just how life works. I have no illusions about that. It's why artists hire managers and lawyers and personal publicists. And hang out with mentors outside of their contractual relationships. RCA wants what they want. If Clay doesn't do what he's "hired" to do, he breaks his contractual agreement and they get to seek remuneration. That's the only "force" they have. Well, except the music "mofia"... lol... but they probably won't have to bring out the big guns - heeee. I highly doubt Clay's walking around RCA being a big dick. Having a big dick doesn't count.

I remember saying as much during the great conspiracy debates. When people were saying that Clive must have something personal against Clay cos no label would treat a muti-platinum artist that way its not good business. I said that the label is not run by Clay fans. They will only have a Clay's best interest at heart when it coincides with their goal of a healthy bottom line. If an artist artistic goals are deemed not commercial enough..they will play hardball. They want quick money out of Clay...the quickest way to do that is go for a cover album. I think the one thing the label read wrong is Clay's fanbase.

I bet if Clay does go to the next level of success where he can sell out 5 to 10 K arenas...we will be missing the good ol days when it was easier to get those front row seats and Clay was more accessible.

The bolded part, Ansamcw....wondering how do you see Clay's fanbase?

..and the part about Clay moving up to the 5-10K sized arenas...I've thought of that a lot.

Clay has said that he likes an 'intimate' feel to his concerts. Thankfully, that's been perfect for the current Clay-fan Clack gathering and concert going experience....but what happens when the size of the crowd is doubled? As it is, many are not happy to just 'be in the house.' We play musical chairs all night. Will it diminish the concerts for us if we can only get 'close enough' by paying a broker?

I do agree that, for better or worse, Clay has not been a passive participant in his career. While he may not have had total control of every aspect, especially early on, I think that he bears some responsibility for where he is now-which IMHO-is NOT a bad place. He may not be all over the radio, selling out arenas, but he's still touring, still getting TV bookings, and perhaps most importantly, he's still sane and apparently happy. If he had focused on his music more than his philanthropic endeavors, if he had sung songs that got radio play but that he didn't enjoy singing, if he had made decisions solely to make himself rich and popular, he might have been on the top of the charts, but he might also be sitting in rehab somewhere.

Clay may not be a superstar, but I think he's in a decent position with a lot of potential to go further.

Yep, I totally agree with this. The pace of Clay's career in the last few years has been a much more sustainable pace than what he had right out of AI2. To me, the panic attacks are an indication that he NEEDED to slow down. I don't know that he would have stayed sane at that initial pace, and he may have just burned out. I'd much rather see a long, long career (there ya go, Muski - I handed that one to you!) than an out-of-control trajectory to the stars. I do hope for fantastic success in the future, but I'm glad that Clay seems more grounded now, and can probably handle it. He has a place he feels at home in Raleigh, and he can feel that he's making a difference through his philanthropic works. I think these things contribute soooo much to his happiness and ability to be grounded.

I first and foremost agree with every post regarding Clay having the career he wants, one he’s comfortable with and that allows a full rich life of service. I just happen to think and feel that he’s on the verge of blowing up huge.

I don’t think anybody, including Clay, had any idea how big his two minutes on AI5 would turn out to be. Oh, I do think Clay was determined to maximize the appearance and differentiate himself from his impersonator as much as possible. Nobody could predict the pure magic that happened onstage. Electricity, confusion, elation, purely perfect resolution, and all manner of heightened emotions were at play. It was lovely. It was elegant. It was hot. It was big news. It was the buzz.

If Clay, at that time, had been sitting on a finished recording of hot material, and I do stress HOT because I’m not convinced any “phantom” album either existed, or would have been hot, then such an album would have been poised for huge success. But that album never existed. I think that just as soon as Team Clay and RCA realized that ATDW was now between them and the contemporary album, they decided to complete and release it in 90 days and immediately begin work on the new vision, the big market. It wouldn’t surprise me if a large group of the music industry and media didn’t know this too, since there are probably few secrets in Hollywood. None of the inside music scene people seemed to like the record, but mostly panned it only because it was covers, and many critics openly requested better material for Clay. I think they knew that something was simmering just beneath the surface.

Clay has received a kindly press response, and has been a TV presence, since AI5. The Insider actively promotes him. His made-for-TV, little nothing scandals like Kelly Ripa and Toegate were blown up beyond recognition, going beyond tabloid to news. There’s something going on out there.

Oh yeah, the most important thing of all is that Clay looks immensely happy. He well may have been feeling a downturn when AI5 hit. Or maybe the sly fox knew exactly what he was doing and everything has played right into his hands. Whatever his state of mind, I think circumstances have played into his hands. When he began talking about a new album in the spring, he and Jaymes were looking for a single producer. He thought this album needed a single guiding hand unified sound. I take the leap of faith that Clay and Jaymes and RCA were already sitting on all the songs when Clay and Jaymes went off in search of a producer. Clay said that at the end of the tour they would sit down and listen to what the new producer had done before signing a contract or releasing his name. So ….. the last weekend of the tour Clay tells a M&G that Jaymes called that day to say that the label had approved two songs. I think this process is moving along at a nice clip. I do know that if this record is everything they want it to be, that it will have a big roll-out. Maybe that’s why Clay saved his money on ATDW. I think, in so many ways, that ATDW was a great big open-mouthed kiss from Clay to his fans. I’ll always love it so much, and I can’t imagine that I’ll ever stop listening to it.

I also see something in his eyes when I watch his last banter and BYLM at Orlando. There’s a retrospective quality to it. I think he’s knows he’s about to be off on a new adventure.

I'm hoping right along with you, faith! I don't know if this year or next year or the next year will be the year that Clay 'blows up huge' (heh), but I think he will get there at some point. And I'm thrilled to be along for the ride.

Oh, and Claygasm - you did a fantastic job photoshopping that pic!

Edited by Gibby

For me, it is enough to just be in the house, no matter what size (the house is)...I have never had front row seats, closest has been 5 rows back and and while front row would be nice, being short I would probably spend the whole night craning my neck back to see. I just go to concerts to hear Clay sing, not to be part of the show and as long as we have clack, I can go home and download videos to see what I missed. Before Clay, I maybe went to a concert once every 10 years or so; whenever hubby and I could get a sitter or someone was in the area we wanted to see. So this is a new experience for me and I just enjoy the whole thing; meeting fellow fans, the parties and hearing Clay sing. Its been wonderful and I truly have no regrets that I am not in the front row at every show.

Kim

I've rarely been in the first few rows, and while I'll admit it is a thrilling experience, it isn't essential for me. I know it is for some, and I suspect, those people will still pay the broker prices they pay now. However, I would think most of us could live with worse seats if it meant that Clay had more widespread success. Yes, we'd miss those days when it was just us, when venues were smaller and more intimate. But if we want Clay to reach more people, we have to be willing to share him.

I do think Clay has projects in the works, things he's developing that he cannot discuss. I believe he's smarter and more savvy than he ever was before, and that he's learned a lot in the last year or so. I would not be surprised if he reaches a whole new level next year, even if it's in a way not everyone in the fandom expects.

For me, it is enough to just be in the house, no matter what size (the house is)...I have never had front row seats, closest has been 5 rows back and and while front row would be nice, being short I would probably spend the whole night craning my neck back to see. I just go to concerts to hear Clay sing, not to be part of the show and as long as we have clack, I can go home and download videos to see what I missed. Before Clay, I maybe went to a concert once every 10 years or so; whenever hubby and I could get a sitter or someone was in the area we wanted to see. So this is a new experience for me and I just enjoy the whole thing; meeting fellow fans, the parties and hearing Clay sing. Its been wonderful and I truly have no regrets that I am not in the front row at every show.

Kim

I've never had a horrible seat at a Clay show based on which row I was in. I don't think I've been further back than row 25 but haven't really had that many concerts above ninth row. I've enjoyed every single one. I've had front row one time and it was a fun experience. As long as there are no drunks behind me singing at the top of their lungs and pissing me off for most of the concert until they fell out of their seats spilling beer all over me, then I'm fine. heh.

I haven't bought a broker ticket since AI2 - oh wait I did pay extra for the San Diego DCAT ticet because it was part of a package -- but I just can't afford to be a constant upgrader. Once I buy my ticket I have to be satisfied with it..unless a front row just falls into my lap!

The bolded part, Ansamcw....wondering how do you see Clay's fanbase?

..and the part about Clay moving up to the 5-10K sized arenas...I've thought of that a lot.

Clay has said that he likes an 'intimate' feel to his concerts. Thankfully, that's been perfect for the current Clay-fan Clack gathering and concert going experience....but what happens when the size of the crowd is doubled? As it is, many are not happy to just 'be in the house.' We play musical chairs all night. Will it diminish the concerts for us if we can only get 'close enough' by paying a broker?

Its a good thing you asked this question...cos I was thinking about this after I wrote that post and I realized that maybe RCA did read the fanbase correctly and they really didn't expect to sell more than they did. There doesn't seem to be a huge surplus of copies so I think the sales were as expected. What they misread IMO is our diversity. Also I suspect they were afraid we may not follow Clay if he does veer away too much from his current sound. Now I know I won't mind Clay experimenting cos I usually love alt rock anyway...Clay is my anomaly so I will follow him whatever direction he takes. BUT is that true of the majority of the fandom?...specially when we consider that Clay's internet fans are not responsible for buying all 500K ATDWs...

I do believe that for RCA...this was strictly an easy sell. They didn't really use this as an opportunity to expand his fanbase. I have a feeling TC looked at it that way too...I think they are looking forward to the next CD to do this. I hope so anyway.

Thanks Couchie, Ansamcw, and CG, for letting me know that I accidentally stepped into a minefield! Sometimes not knowing the history of a board can make for dangerous navigation. :RedGuy:

I truly am not a supporter of Consp***cy theories, and I made it a point to avoid OFC when most of that discussion was taking place. What I do believe, is that there has been an effort by disc jockeys and celebrity gossip rags nationwide to portray Clay in a way that is completely inaccurate. And I think this has had a definite negative impact on how he is perceived, especially by young males. I just spent the last three years working in a middle school and I know that kids pay attention to radio gossip much more than they should. When I said that I thought the rest of the world would eventually see Clay the way we do, I didn't mean that they would love him in the same way. Only that they would hopefully see him as he really is, and not the false identity that is being promoted by the "underbelly" of mass media. I think his appearance on AYSTAFG will help a great deal because a lot of kids and teens love that show.

Clay Aiken is a remarkable, talented man who has a lot to offer the world. I think that's something we can all agree on! :medium-smiley-070:

Thanks Couchie, Ansamcw, and CG, for letting me know that I accidentally stepped into a minefield! Sometimes not knowing the history of a board can make for dangerous navigation. :RedGuy:

I truly am not a supporter of Consp***cy theories, and I made it a point to avoid OFC when most of that discussion was taking place. What I do believe, is that there has been an effort by disc jockeys and celebrity gossip rags nationwide to portray Clay in a way that is completely inaccurate. And I think this has had a definite negative impact on how he is perceived, especially by young males. I just spent the last three years working in a middle school and I know that kids pay attention to radio gossip much more than they should. When I said that I thought the rest of the world would eventually see Clay the way we do, I didn't mean that they would love him in the same way. Only that they would hopefully see him as he really is, and not the false identity that is being promoted by the "underbelly" of mass media. I think his appearance on AYSTAFG will help a great deal because a lot of kids and teens love that show.

Clay Aiken is a remarkable, talented man who has a lot to offer the world. I think that's something we can all agree on! :medium-smiley-070:

I guess I see the treatment of Clay as part of the general trend of negativity in the media...tabloid...djs. I listened to these radio talk show once and I didn;t hear them say anything nice at all...about all the celebrities they were talking about. Its tough to be in the public eye nowadays..and the bigger the star is, the bigger the target.

You forgot to add that for some reason he can really really just make me smile :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Ansa, the tabloidification (I know, not a word) of the so-called legit media is the most disturbing thing I've witnessed in this fandom and I have a freakin' journalism degree. I've always been a skeptic about what I read but good lord, to know that Newsweek and Time and the Wall Street Journal are almost as worthless as the Enquirer and The Star in some cases makes me ill. I really can't get over the fact that internet blogs are quoted as real sources or that nobody has a fact checker. Unfortunately news agencies these days don't have the resources to check facts - all they can do it buy what's available. And we've seen some of those stories about Clay that were poorly written to start with end up being bastardized even further. If it bleeds it leads has always been a creedo. The more titillating the better these days - almost like the days of the penny press. CNN's fascination with Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton was sickening.

Gosh, I'm not here for 24 hours and already I can't keep up!

Regarding seat locations, the first time I ever saw Clay I had the most horrible seats - way up in the nosebleeds in Seattle for the AI2 tour. The closest I've been is row 3, if he came to the side of the stage - it was U shaped. He's so purdy up that close! Most of the time I'm contented to be closer than row 20. I love the small venue format, both for the intimacy and the sound quality.

Question (it may have been answered, but I didn't see it) - the AI reruns - what station and time?

couchie (I hope it's okay to call you that already) and others have posted about people being disappointed in Clay if he ever {fill in the blank}. I hope that fans and others that follow Clay's career aren't turned off by one action - everyone does things out of character at times. Those that don't follow Clay so closely might. One example, I was very uncomfortable with many things when Clay was cohosting with Ripa, but I've seen enough of Clay over the years to be able to chock it up to nerves and some weird vibes from Kelly. My hair stylist, however, was totally turned off by Clay. She had always loved Clay's voice. She had bragged about playing his Christmas CD constantly. I gave her ATDW and got a big hug and lots of excitement. Now I just don't bring up the subject - it makes me mad/sad to hear her criticize him (and his hair).

When I hear Clay say that he doesn't drink, I don't hear "I've never had a drink and I never will". Same with swearing. ("I cussed at the meet and greet." - too funny). Other than when I was in high school I have said that I don't smoke. Which is true, except if you pass me a fine cigar I won't turn down a drag or two.

I think the important thing is the patterns in people's lives - that's where a person's true character shows. Having said that, I very seldom bring up Clay's character if I'm speaking to someone who doesn't know of him. I focus on the voice, hoping that if that person will give a listen to the voice, they might be interested in learning about the man. At Pala my husband and I sat behind two couples who were there because one of the wives had seen Clay on AI2. They were all impressed with his voice and his humor (the men especially with his humor, as others have said here) and said they would go see him again.

Regarding Clay's popularity, I would like to see him release something that would interest concert promoters on the West Coast. My travel budget is not what I'd like it to be. I have to admit that in some way I don't want him to get "too big" - too many people to share with! :lol:

~

Wow, what a long and rambling post - especially since I was just going to come here and say "hi"!

~

:xmas07a:

I think of Clay's career like a toy glider. If you throw it straight up into the air as far as you can, it may go up high, but it immediately crashes back onto the ground. However, if you wait until the wind is right and throw it at just the right angle, it soars.

I think Clay is just about to soar.

I agree- I just love to read your stuff. I loved all your recaps. Clay Aiken is going to soar. I feel that wind building up.

THirty years from now when I'm pumping my fist to BFM in the home, heh, I hope to have a mind alert enough to be able to account for his career every step of the damn way.

:cryingwlaughter: This mental image made me spit mah sweet tea all over mah monitor! Couchie, we need to look into this. There must be someway to start now establishing a old folks home for Claymates specifically. We could have glow sticks in the cafeteria, do shirt tugs (or chenille bathrobe tugs) and have Clay's sweet voice piped through the PA system to lullabye us to sleep every night, prompty at 8:00. Maybe he'd even make a guest appearance and dance with us in our wheelchairs.

Its a good thing you asked this question...cos I was thinking about this after I wrote that post and I realized that maybe RCA did read the fanbase correctly and they really didn't expect to sell more than they did. There doesn't seem to be a huge surplus of copies so I think the sales were as expected. What they misread IMO is our diversity. Also I suspect they were afraid we may not follow Clay if he does veer away too much from his current sound. Now I know I won't mind Clay experimenting cos I usually love alt rock anyway...Clay is my anomaly so I will follow him whatever direction he takes. BUT is that true of the majority of the fandom?...specially when we consider that Clay's internet fans are not responsible for buying all 500K ATDWs...

I do believe that for RCA...this was strictly an easy sell. They didn't really use this as an opportunity to expand his fanbase. I have a feeling TC looked at it that way too...I think they are looking forward to the next CD to do this. I hope so anyway.

I happen to agree with this all, but especially about the diversity of the fanbase. I have never hung around a bunch of people with as widely mixed tastes as I have in the last few years on these boards. In fact, if I had to try to find a common denominator, besides Clay himself, it would be the fact that there is no other commonality. LOL. So, how do you market to a group like that? I think last time Clive, for whatever reason, put his trust in the songs, trusting that we would follow the old and familiar. I don't think Clive/the label realized, or trusted, that for all our many differences, the song be damned, we will follow Clay.

Before Clay Aiken, I wouldn't have listened to country music if you'd payed me. Now, some of my favorite Clay songs come from country...HYCA, I'm Not Supposed To Love You, She Said Yes. Same with CCM. Had never listened, never interested. Now I have at least three versions of YWT and more of Good News burned on CDs.

Whatever the sound, I think we'll follow...some just quicker than others.

Ansa, the tabloidification (I know, not a word) of the so-called legit media is the most disturbing thing I've witnessed in this fandom and I have a freakin' journalism degree. I've always been a skeptic about what I read but good lord, to know that Newsweek and Time and the Wall Street Journal are almost as worthless as the Enquirer and The Star in some cases makes me ill. I really can't get over the fact that internet blogs are quoted as real sources or that nobody has a fact checker. Unfortunately news agencies these days don't have the resources to check facts - all they can do it buy what's available. And we've seen some of those stories about Clay that were poorly written to start with end up being bastardized even further. If it bleeds it leads has always been a creedo. The more titillating the better these days - almost like the days of the penny press. CNN's fascination with Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton was sickening.

:clap:

...plus for all the political correctness in society today, I think the djs and the tabloids, and others in that ilk, fill some sort of base need in society to point out those deemed different somehow...be that a good difference or a bad difference. I think their shows and newspapers are the modern day equivalent of putting someone in stocks in the town square and throwing bread at them.

:nothingtoadd:

KnoxvilleDCAT6.jpg

I don't think you need to add anything to that...gah!

Edited by laughn

I guess I see the treatment of Clay as part of the general trend of negativity in the media...tabloid...djs. I listened to these radio talk show once and I didn;t hear them say anything nice at all...about all the celebrities they were talking about. Its tough to be in the public eye nowadays..and the bigger the star is, the bigger the target.

So true. The tabloid mentality has penetrated all levels of the media. It's sad that the rush to report has overtaken the obligation to check sources or to maintain an objective tone. The most negative, salacious spin always seems to garner the most attention.

Question (it may have been answered, but I didn't see it) - the AI reruns - what station and time?

Idol Rewind is a syndicated show, which means that it can appear on any station that chooses to license the program, at whatever time it decides to schedule it. In Los Angeles, it runs on KTLA, which is actually a CW station. Try checking local listings to see when it will be on in your area.

ETA: This website will show you where the Season 1 of Idol Rewind is airing. You might check back later for Season 2.

Idol Rewind

Edited by JennaZ

And you can call me couchie if I can call you Saltie :cryingwlaughter:

It's a deal!

I have never hung around a bunch of people with as widely mixed tastes as I have in the last few years on these boards. In fact, if I had to try to find a common denominator, besides Clay himself, it would be the fact that there is no other commonality.

Well put. I've had the same experience. Even if my friends were geographically close, I can hardly imagine how we would have met, let alone become friends. It's a wonderful part of being a fan.

~

Bottlecap that picture is just beyond words!

~

ETA: Thanks,JennaZ!

:xmas07a:

Edited by saltwaterdog