Parenting special kids

Ansamcw

Thanks for the input, everyone. I also talked with my cousin last night, who is a registered nurse. She suggested that it is possible he might be feeling some "separation anxiety" because the psych insinuated he would not need to see him anymore if he stopped his meds. So her suggestion was to give it a couple of weeks and see if it improves. As long as we make a decision before school starts up again in early September we should be ok. Stu also talked to his dad on the phone and he apparently gave him some suggestions that he uses, based on the tapes he listens to. However, I was not able to pry that info out of him. But he seemed ok with things last night so I'm taking a bit of a wait and see attitude right now.

My youngest son has had many years of problems with focusing and the resulting anger when he can't. He was never on medication as it was determined that none would help him. I think I've said it before that he has atypical ADHD.

As a youngster he did really well with tutoring. His tutor was a teacher who was staying at home to raise her kids. She was exceptional at identifying problems and working with him on them. I was sorry when she went back to work again.

After reaching his mid thirties he seemed determined to help himself. He is on a carb free diet. He lost quite a bit of weight and has less problems focusing and organizing. Last year after a job interview that went bad, he was given prozak to calm him down, but I think that was just temporary.

He is still on track to get his master's degree in December and seems to be doing quite well at working a full time job in management and going to school at night. He seems to know what he wants and how to get it now. So now my older son who never had any problems growing up is questioning what he has done with his life and what he should do with the rest of it. Oy! Thank goodness he has always found a way to take care of himself.

Some way to help him manage it without having to put him back on the meds, I guess. He is still on Concerta (time release Ritalin) because of hyperactivity and inability to focus on tasks. He can't survive in a classroom without it. I am wondering if the heightened anger/frustration is due to him only being on the Concerta, and not the Sertraline. The combination seemed to be what worked for him. Maybe it's all or nothing.

Quoting myself to say that today we are going to try it without Ritalin. Yesterday he was so touchy you could hardly speak to him without setting him off. I found that once the Ritalin was out of his system, he was better. So this is an experiment. There is no way he can do school without it (tried for many years) but at least maybe it will shed some light on what's going on. Heh, wish me luck tonight!

ETA: Oh god, I forgot about the biggest side effect of Ritalin....loss of apetite! He is already calling saying there is nothing left to eat in the house, can I go grocery shopping. Yikes.

So, after an 18 lb weight gain, bouts of depression & anxiety, and a worsening mark in English because he can't concentrate, ds has finally relented and said he wants to go back on the meds. It sucks, and I understand why he fights it, but it's an illness, and unfortunately it isn't going away. The doctor and I agreed that this time it had to be his choice. We have an appt tomorrow to discuss, at ds' request. I hope it goes better than the last appt.

And, in case anyone is reading this thread, it went well. Really well. :) I didn't even have to go in, I sat in the waiting room while they discussed. The doctor was impressed that he had the courage to ask for help. He took the pills this morning. Hopefully all will go back to normal now, he can pull his grades up, and start concentrating in class again.

Aww, I read the other day & thought I commented. Sorry, I guess it was only in my head! :blush:

Glad things went well. The meds are a really tough issue to deal with at any age, but especially when you're young. Good for him! :clap:

And, in case anyone is reading this thread, it went well. Really well. :) I didn't even have to go in, I sat in the waiting room while they discussed. The doctor was impressed that he had the courage to ask for help. He took the pills this morning. Hopefully all will go back to normal now, he can pull his grades up, and start concentrating in class again.

YAY for luckiestkid!!!

Quick update for those who are following along.......son managed to pass all his first semester grade 12 courses, YAY! His plan at this point is to do another year of high school (what we call a "victory lap" here) and then decide on college. And today we had our one year anniversary appointment with the endocrinologist (who prescribes his growth hormone). He is growing like a weed, almost at 5' 5" now (started at 5' 0") and his weight is holding steady, which means he is thinning a bit. Looking good to continue for probably another 6 months before puberty starts fusing the growth plates in his bones. He is already almost eye to eye with his dad, which has been his goal all along. So things are going along v.v. well at this point. This afternoon we are off to the regular appt with the psychiatrist. :)