Omaha, NE Dec 21, 2007

Couch Tomato

So sorry to hear about the food poisoning Scarlett and perusingone!

But I can't wait to see you tonight! I'll bring barf bags.

Sorry I missed the swayfest/glowsticks last night. It was fun to read about it though, and the "accident" regarding HF and HD cracked me up!

Some recaps from CB

I had seats in the first row after the pit seats in the middle. His voice was amazing-I thought he sounded better than he did in Wichita which was the other concert I attended. His hair looks very blond. He did not sing an encore-don't know why he did not. His mom was there in the 3 row I believe -I talked to her a minute at intermission She said Brett would join them tomorrow night and they were all 3 going to Mexico. I enjoyed the concert so much-especially since I brought my mom who has only been to one other concert to see Clay ever. The camera police were out so I don't know if anyone got much clack. I know Toni7babe and Invisible were in front of me in the last row of the pit and at intermission they said they were being watched and couldn't take clack. The woman behind me was getting some video but in the second half they came and told her they would remove the camera if she took more. I love Clay singing Christmas -nobody does it better.

LThe doors to the venue (seating area) didn't open until about 7:45, so they must have been running behind schedule. ooked like a good seller.....really packed floor. Couldn't see the balconies, though. Bought the red hat (ivory one was also available), gray/greenish colored scarf (odd color!) and a poster. Weird thing about the poster was it had a number 200-something. Not sure how they've sold them at other shows, but it seems odd to have that low of a number at the second to last show. I'm on air that I got some merchandise. The crowd seemed to love Clay and crew and even whistled a couple of times. Standing ovation on DSIAFCD, and Clay did his cute little salute when he left the stage. Clay sounded great overall, but he got really soft in parts (feeling the songs' meanings?) and possibly was a bit off toward the end of the concert (hard to tell with the speakers....not the best sound system). Maybe he didn't think he could hit the AIW notes and skipped the encore as a result? Or maybe they had to get on the road to try to beat the storm that is supposed to be in eastern Nebraska and Iowa in the next few hours. I am really BUMMED that we didn't get an encore because I missed last holiday's shows and have yet to hear AIW live. Maybe some day. I am soooooo happy that I had the opportunity to attend this year's show, but I'm sad I can't go to another. That's the thing about Clay....he ALWAYS leaves you wanting more.

<snip pesonal >

I did notice something interesting during all of the waiting. There were a lot of security people around, and they seemed to be looking for someone. I overheard a few conversations about keeping an eye out, and at one point, one of the security guys was pointed in the direction of the restrooms and told "I think we saw someone with that description going that way." No clue who they were looking for, but it gave me something to ponder while we waited.

When we finally got ot our seats, they were good. No, really pretty great. We were in the second row behind the pit, right on the aisle of the center section. That was good for mom so she could get out if she needed to, and good for me because with my new camera, the pictures would be excellent. Except for the fact that the Orpheum means it when they say no cameras. Truthfully, I didn't even see a lot of people trying to take pictures, but I think that's because the security people were so adamant about it beforehand. My camera stayed in my purse the entire time, so I'm glad to see that some photos of tonight do exist.

About five minutes before showtime, I look over to the side and there's Faye! Kind of exciting. Then I realize they're directing her to the seat right behind me. Excitement turned into nerves. Not the "oh my goodness it's Clay's mom!" kind of nerves, but the "oh my goodness, PLEASE, may all that's holy just keep me (and mom) from doing something so stupid that we become the amusing, but not in the good way, fan story to be shared later on the bus" kind of nerves. I immediately said to mom, "Oh, it's Faye." Mom's response? "Who's Faye?" Fabulous. I quickly explained to her that it was Clay's mother, so she became instantly curious and probably started staring. Meanwhile, I was trying to do everything I could to not look at her at all because why make her the monkey in the zoo, right? However, when she sat down behind me, I immediately turned around and said, "I'm sorry I'm so tall." Why did I say that? Well, people have yelled at me at other concerts for being too tall in front of them, and let's face it, Faye's not that vertically blessed. When she laughed and said that she could see just fine, I turned around and didn't look back.

Mom told me on the drive home that she wondered if I was ever going to speak to Faye, or just pretend she didn't exist, but I did talk to her. Asked her if she would be going to the show tomorrow night and asked her what her favorite song on this tour is. Mom on the other hand had an entire conversation with her, I think, because mom has never met a stranger. And that is what I was worried would get us into the story to be shared later on the bus category. You see, my mom likes to share. She's a sharer. I made an off-hand comment one time right after college graduation while trying to find a "real" job that if I were a racehorse, I'd be glue. Fast forward a few months, and I actually managed to win a car, and my mom repeats that comment to the DJ for the radio station hosting the contest, and the DJ passes that on to thousands of listeners that Monday morning when they were talking about the car giveaway. I had no hope that I was not going to be thoroughly embarassed by my mother at some point during the evening. It may even have happened, but miracle of miracles, I don't know about it if it did.

The concert started, and it was good, except because I'm neurotic, all I could think about was the fact that Clay's mother was sitting right behind me. I tried to not bob my head to the music, just in case it got in her way. I sat up straight because Faye probably thinks posture is important. And I was ridiculously worried that somehow my bra strap was showing, and how uncouth would that be. I once had a meet and greet with Clay, and he also talked to me from the stage one time because of a sign I'd held up. Neither of those times was I as nervous as I was sitting in front of his mother, doing absolutely nothing.

He was wearing the glasses again tonight, which was great. Except the glasses really do something for me, and it just felt odd lusting after him with his mom sitting behind me. A little like making out with someone while his parents are downstairs. It's a little different obviously, but still a strange feeling. To me, he's hot. To her, he's not. And I was praying the entire time that mom wouldn't lean over and in her stage whisper say, "Does his pushing up his glasses still do it for you?" Thank goodness for small favors!

Ok, on to things other than my apparent abject terror of Faye's disapproval. Let's talk about the hair. Is the man a Chia pet?? I could swear that he did not have that much hair in Cleveland! Mainly it was just styled differently or maybe he got a little more friendly with the volumizing spray tonight, but it looked like he'd grown about half a head of hair in four days.

The songs were all beautiful, and I think the acoustics were better tonight than they were in Cleveland. My friend in Cleveland, Michele, commented on how he seemed a little loud on certain songs, almost to the point where it disturbed the quality. I tended to agree with her on that. But tonight I didn't get any of that. We were sitting just to the left of the speakers sitting stage right, so it created kind of a weird situation. I could hear what was being put out through the speakers, but at times, I could hear Clay's voice coming directly from the stage, directly from the mouth, I guess. There wasn't any sort of echo or delay between the two; it was just very separate and distinct at times. It gave it a more intimate feeling in a way.

It was great to see Angela back, and I loved her rendition of WWIAK because all I've heard so far is Quiana's from Cleveland. I don't know which is "better." I'll have to download both and compare. I will say that when Quiana finished WAYC, my mom leaned over and said "She's got a great voice." Duh, mom! I don't know that I ever compare Angela and Quiana in my head. They're just "the girls." But I will say that everytime Quiana sings, I get chills. That's not to say that I don't like Angela, too, but there's something in Quiana's voice that resonates with me more. Like how some people just don't hear what we hear when it comes to Clay. Still, it was good to see both of the girls again, and at least neither of them disappeared unlike the last time he was in the area and suddenly the tour was Jacob-less.

The readers were good, but I think I preferred the stories from Cleveland more. I've been telling that siren story to people for three days now, and they always laugh. I didn't really laugh or cry at any of the ones tonight. And I still think my story about dill pickles would have been a good addition, but oh well. It's probably a good thing I didn't get picked anyway. Because sure as anything, I'd have somehow tripped and fallen off the stage or something and then had to go back and sit in front of Faye, humiliated. Any night I can leave an event with my dignity still intact is a good night.

I'll admit to being a little disappointed that there was no AIW at the end. When you know there's an encore coming, and then it just...doesn't...it makes you feel like a bad audience member. Like what did we do wrong to not deserve AIW and the awesome lighting at the end? But we'll probably never know why we didn't get it. Voice fatigue maybe. During DSIAFCD, I saw Clay look to the side of the stage and shake his head. At first I thought maybe he'd just missed a note or something, and being the perfectionist he is, he was upset about it. Then I thought maybe he wasn't going to go for the glory note, but he did, and he hit it. I wonder now if maybe he wasn't saying with that slight shake that he'd decided not to do the encore. When the lights came back up over Jesse and the orchestra and then nothing else happened, the auditorium got kind of quiet. Then Jesse jumped off the piano bench, and the curtain went down. I leaned over to mom and said, "That wasn't supposed to happen." I tried to look a little over my shoulder at Faye, and she seemed surprised, but there wasn't a shocked "something must be wrong" look on her face, so I doubt it's anything too drastic.

I'm very glad that I got to see the two shows. First, because you can never get past the Clayfog to remember anything the first time. At least I can't. And second, because it gave me a little bit of everything. I got to see AIW the first time and Angela the second. I got to share Clay with Michele in Cleveland and mom in Omaha. And I got four solid hours of good entertainment, always a good thing.

Some recaps from CB

(nebclayfan) I had seats in the first row after the pit seats in the middle. His voice was amazing-I thought he sounded better than he did in Wichita which was the other concert I attended. His hair looks very blond. He did not sing an encore-don't know why he did not. His mom was there in the 3 row I believe -I talked to her a minute at intermission She said Brett would join them tomorrow night and they were all 3 going to Mexico. I enjoyed the concert so much-especially since I brought my mom who has only been to one other concert to see Clay ever. The camera police were out so I don't know if anyone got much clack. I know Toni7babe and Invisible were in front of me in the last row of the pit and at intermission they said they were being watched and couldn't take clack. The woman behind me was getting some video but in the second half they came and told her they would remove the camera if she took more. I love Clay singing Christmas -nobody does it better.

Heee - that woman was me. I have that security guard's voice on my audio of OHN.