Are You Ready for some Football

Couch Tomato

Well the season starts today!!

My two teams are the Raiders and the 49ers. Raiders had the worst record in the league last season so no where to go but up. I expect the niners to not have at losing season so at least 8 and 8. Unfortunately their schedule is very tough to start out so hope they do reasonably well until they get to the last 5 or 6 games of the season which they should win.

Well the season starts today!!

My two teams are the Raiders and the 49ers.

Well I'm a creature of where I was brought up so my team is the Vikings. They won today! But are very young in the QB era and I'm not sold on the new (2nd year) Coach. We'll see.

My college team is Nebraska, but I still keep an eye on the Gophers.

I am PATRIOTS fan through and through.. They just beat up the Jets 38 to 14.. That's what I like... :lilredani:

I have to admit the Colts are an awesome team but I gotta root, root, root for the Home Team.. It also does not hurt that Brady is HOT!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm not a HUGE football fan, because I don't clear my schedule to watch the games every week. However, I do root for the Vikings, thanks to my husband (who is from Minnesota). Also, my former pastor at church was a HUGE Vikings fans -- so much so that if they had a noon kickoff, you could be sure that the service would be over at 11:45. *g*

I'm also NOT a Bears fan. They were cool in 1985, but I've lost a lot of admiration for them.

But...and I'm sure I'm going to get killed for saying this....my most hated team is the Cowboys. I think for me it's simply that it was forced down my throat that they were "America's Team." Well, thanks to the media for making that decision for me -- only NOT.

But...and I'm sure I'm going to get killed for saying this....my most hated team is the Cowboys. I think for me it's simply that it was forced down my throat that they were "America's Team." Well, thanks to the media for making that decision for me -- only NOT.

I'm not going to hate you! I am going to LOVE you!!!

HATE the Cowboys!

I am from Georgia so I have to be a Falcons fan, although, I don't believe that they will win a game this year with all that is going on with the team. I also used to follow the Cowboys back in the day of the Irvin, Aikman and Smith. I guess I will have to find a new team this year. May be I will pull for the Raiders, but they are on the west coast. There is always the Carolina Panthers who are close and have a decent quarterback.

I'm feel bad for the Buffalo Bills player, Everett, with the spinal cord injury. Sometimes you forget these are big guys running into each other. And all the padding in the world can't protect every inch of the body - part of it being quite vulnerable. Right now they are saying he will probably will not regain a full range of motion.

I hope the NFL takes care of it's injured players better than they take care of the old retired ones.

49ers! LOrd give me a heart attack! YAY

:scream:

Ack! The "big game"* was a "big bust." I hate when that happens. When your team has the national stage and just stutters. They started out fine but fell apart quickly and dramatically. Thing is, I really love this Coach (Bill Callahan) and that has been the only knock on him, he hasn't won the marguee games. Just rats. I won't even turn on the local news or go to the paper's website. The bloodletting, the angst, the rending of garments. Oy. Seriously. ClayNations got nothing on CornhuskerNation.

*Nebraska/USC

Edited by jamar1700

Well horse hockey. What happened? http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Av...o&type=lgns

Ok I found a story on it. 49-31

The Arkansas Razorbacks were 10 and Alabama 21, I think, when I fell asleep last night. Final score 41-38? 3 stinking points. We lost by 3 stinking points? I don't like Houston Nutt. Yes that is his real name.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=714766

Edited by Clayzorback

We're getting "twinnier" all the time! I'll never forget my Dallas friends who told me back when Texas Stadium was new that the roof didn't close over the field so that God could watch His Team. Yeah, I root against them EVERY time.

:scream:

Ack! The "big game"* was a "big bust." I hate when that happens. When your team has the national stage and just stutters. They started out fine but fell apart quickly and dramatically. Thing is, I really love this Coach (Bill Callahan) and that has been the only knock on him, he hasn't won the marguee games. Just rats. I won't even turn on the local news or go to the paper's website. The bloodletting, the angst, the rending of garments. Oy. Seriously. ClayNations got nothing on CornhuskerNation.

*Nebraska/USC

Ya know...that "fumble" whateverthefuckitwas was the turning point in the game. I've never seen a team go from being on top of the world to dead LAST in that short period of time. I could understand it if it were our team members who were hurt but...shit...it was freaking embarrassing.

I love Callahan...I think he's got the right idea...the kids just don't seem to know how to step up in the big games. I don't think they believe they can win.

I love Callahan...I think he's got the right idea...the kids just don't seem to know how to step up in the big games. I don't think they believe they can win.

You know what I really love about him coaching this football team? I think he lost his passion for coaching when he was in the NFL. I think he took this job to see if he could get it back and that is what I saw those first couple of seasons. Now I watch him and I can see that he loves it again and he loves those young men and they love and respect him. I dunno, I know it's weird to say but I'd rather see that than the winning every game 75-3.

Altho...that has it's charm too. Hee.

But then again, I follow the Cornhusker basketball team like it's a religion and have ever since I moved here in 1983 ... so winning can't actually be considered a priority for me. :cryingwlaughter:

Edited by jamar1700

Aw jamar, I was watching and rooting for Nebraska last night. And you're right - when it started to go bad, it went bad in a hurry.

Nebraska does, however, have a storied past. My team, WVU, not so much. Sure we've had some good teams but we have never been one of those teams that everyone automatically puts in the top 10. Nebraska was one of those teams in the not so long ago past. And that's why WVU's success thus far is so exciting to me. I just hope we can live up to the expectations. I'm not real optimistic about that though cause I've been down this road before.

NFL? Big Steelers fan here. But what the hell is up with those while pants? Do. Not. Like.

The Cowboys? I used to hate 'em back in the day. Now? They're not good enough for me to care. :lol:

oK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD on Niners.

I was wondering what people thought of billacek (sp) and that whole business. 500K personal fine. 250 fine to the team. Lost of at least one draft pick. Hmmm. I would have gone for a couple more draft picks over money. Anyway, that it happened to this team is interesting. They've had kind of a reputation of not having exceptional talent but playing together as a team and always managing to get things done. I guess Brady didn't have a stellar college career (not sure about that) and Billacek was never a winning coach. I listen to sports radio and thy have been really running with this whole thing. THere's a song about it and everything. I just think their superbowls in some people's minds are now tainted.

Oh crap... come on Niners...you can do it.

You know what I really love about him coaching this football team? I think he lost his passion for coaching when he was in the NFL. I think he took this job to see if he could get it back and that is what I saw those first couple of seasons. Now I watch him and I can see that he loves it again and he loves those young men and they love and respect him. I dunno, I know it's weird to say but I'd rather see that than the winning every game 75-3.

Completely agree. The games were fun to watch when we were a powerhouse but there was never any nail biting or come from behind excitement. We went, we beat the shit out of people and we left.

I knew our chances were iffy with USC...I just hope we can step up to the challenge of the Big 12 and have a good showing. Honestly, I really don't want to play Texas or Oklahoma this year!!!

I listen to sports radio and thy have been really running with this whole thing.

Well I'm gonna just say that this is the sort of thing that convinces me that the Clay/Celebrity stuff is not much different than the sports stuff. In other words, I think they love to build 'em up to tear 'em down. As to the actual incident, I'm sure he's not the first or the worst, you know? I thought the comment from the AP writer Jim Litke, sort of says it all.

Considering how often Belichick messed with waiver-wire transactions and fudged weekly injury reports, the only surprise in the unfolding spy saga might be that he got caught.

In other words, he was probably never the great football guru that they built him up to be. He won for the same reasons (I think) other people win, equal parts knowledge, skill, hard work and good old fashioned luck. I also think that it's probably something that goes on to a certain degree all. the. time. He was just blatant enough that he got caught and now they make an example of him.

---

upon re-reading the above ....

whoo booy Am I cynical or what? :cryingwlaughter:

---

ETA : & w00t for your team today! :clap:

Edited by jamar1700

I'm not a big Pro football fan, but do watch it occasionaly. We're big Ohio State Buckeye fans in our family. They've sure started off with a shaky season. They've won their first three, but the first 2 weren't pretty. Probably Michigan's big losses took a little heat off of them.

There really were some great football games on yesterday. Texas and Central Florida and Kentucky and Louisville were nail biters. I didn't have a real rooting interest but I did enjoy the games.

Pro teams, I was a fan of the Niners and the KC Chiefs, why ???? Joe Montana. I liked Jerry Rice too, but Montana, I followed his career through college and the pros.