#16 Veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Do you ever get the idea that people who declared to love Clay unconditionally, have conditions?
    • Thing is, you can't live someone else's life for them. You only get your own.
    • Oh, the humanity!
    • being yourself is the coolest thing you can do.
    • Cool melts in the warmth of anything real.
    • Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants!
    • CLAY SERVED UP WITH SOME CHOCOLATE AND JELLO.
    • "Harder! Harder! Faster! Faster!" "Gimmee more!"
    • It was so much more simple when it was only about love.
    • You can't legislate intelligence
    • One of the things I admire about Clay is his ability to keep on doing the backstroke while everyone else is in the 500m Freestyle
    • I hope he's counting and nibbling on his toes
    • Good Morning!! I love that Clay Aiken dude!
    • There is something excruciatingly and wonderfully manly about that man---yet all the while painfully gentle and tender.
    • I'm confused and concerned, Clay...BLOG ME!
    • Whew, it is over. That was DECON 5 averted big time.
    • Now back to the normal nuttiness. laugh.gif
    • "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Very OT post hearkening back to a dilemma faced by YSRN before all the strum & drang.

Try this site for grape recipes. <a href="http://www.concordgrape.org/" target="_blank">http://www.concordgrape.org/</a> It's too late for this year, but maybe next.

Hee. Thanks! I found that site too, but didn't notice the grape/carrot concoction. I picked four quarts of grapes yesterday. I think that's the last of them for the year. I need a food mill, so I'm off to get one and make whatever last recipe for the year tomorrow.

I'm tellin' ya. Imagine the most pungent fresh concord grape smell you can, and that's what I'm having. Mmmmmmmm, grapes!

Thanks to you and liney for making my grape harvest '07 most delicious!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Wah, I wanna know how the commercial ends! :lol:

{{{Scarlett}}}

Very OT post hearkening back to a dilemma faced by YSRN before all the strum & drang.

Try this site for grape recipes. <a href="http://www.concordgrape.org/" target="_blank">http://www.concordgrape.org/</a> It's too late for this year, but maybe next.

This one especially intrigued me.

GRAPE GLAZED CARROTS

(Makes 4-6 Servings)

2 bunches young carrots

1 tablespoon butter or margarine

1/2 cup Concord grape jam

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans

Pare carrots and cut into 2-inch pieces by slicing diagonally. Cook until tender in lightly salted water. Drain. Combine butter, Concord grape jam, lemon juice, lemon peel and ginger in a saucepan. Add carrots. Cook for 10 minutes over moderate heat, turning often to thoroughly glaze carrots. Garnish with pecans.

Not that I'll be trying it any time soon. Like someone, maybe Jumpingjacks? above, I'm a non-cook. If it takes more time to prepare than to eat, it's not for me!

Nope, it was jamar, I LOVE to cook!!! :)

Lots and lots of "yeah buts" happening in the fandom today. Lots of "I know you are but what am I" shit, too. Sad...sad, sad, sad.

I've never seen a group of people who are so lacking in self-awareness. Seriously...if I posted stuff like that EVER, I would hang up my internet fandom and get a freaking life. This obsession some carry for Clay is scary, at best, and dangerous, at worst. They truly do scare me sometimes.

If I were Clay, I'd close down the OFC and just get on with my career, ignoring the boards altogether.

I for one hope he never closes the OFC. I have a home there. It's small...just 12-15 of us, but we have been posting together since the beginning. I very seldom wander beyond Stuff...the once or twice a year that I do, I usually share my opinion with people who don't really want to hear it, step on some toes, make some apologies or accept some, and am reminded of why I stay in Stuff. In a thread where Clay is seldome even mentioned.

Others have formed friendships in other threads.

It's not all dark and dreary there. But if that is all you go to read...then that is all you will find. There are a lot of very caring people who never get into the disputes.

Their love for Clay and acceptance of whatever he chooses to do, because it is his to decision to make, is accepted.....just as it is here.

Some areas of the OFC...are just as good as here...generally without all the fun smutting and pretty pictures. Though I guess there is a thread full of pretties....I just never seem to wander there.

If I were Clay, I'd close down the OFC and just get on with my career, ignoring the boards altogether.

I for one hope he never closes the OFC. I have a home there. It's small...just 12-15 of us, but we have been posting together since the beginning. I very seldom wander beyond Stuff...the once or twice a year that I do, I usually share my opinion with people who don't really want to hear it, step on some toes, make some apologies or accept some, and am reminded of why I stay in Stuff. In a thread where Clay is seldome even mentioned.

Others have formed friendships in other threads.

It's not all dark and dreary there. But if that is all you go to read...then that is all you will find. There are a lot of very caring people who never get into the disputes.

Their love for Clay and acceptance of whatever he chooses to do, because it is his to decision to make, is accepted.....just as it is here.

Some areas of the OFC...are just as good as here...generally without all the fun smutting and pretty pictures. Though I guess there is a thread full of pretties....I just never seem to wander there.

I'm sure that's true, rohdy, and I would feel sorry for those of you who do make a comfy home there. But unfortunately I think the OFC may be the first place that 'newbies' gain entry into the online community, and I hate to think that forum is the first thing they are hit with.

Geez, I love you people, but you talk an awful lot. Make good sense too...

I totally agree about people being afraid of losing Clay if he's not cool enough. It's very ironic that some people want Clay to be cooler than he is. One of the clear messages I took from Clay's book is how he learned to accept himself, nerdiness and all. And I think he's been consistent in being who he is, without pretending to be someone cooler. I admire that about him so much. I think that's part of what makes him so charismatic. He's genuine, authentic and charming. It's refreshing, and people love it. I think he will have much more success in the long run being himself than pretending to be a cool, hip rock star.

I've always taken that from LTS too -- that acceptance of oneself is a good thing. However, it scares me a bit that I can hear what others will say to that argument in regards to Clay -- "well, he wrote that four years ago. He was younger, and just starting out in the business. He's changed since then. He's traveled more." Sure, Clay has changed in four years -- everyone does. But it's always a gradual thing, and I really don't think he's lost the essence of who he was back then. And, from interviews, he still self-identifies as a geek. Unfortunately, I think he can say that until the cows come home and some will not hear it.

but there is absolutely NO need for a message board to be a part of it, in my opinion. One way communication. He talks, we listen.

For the most part, I agree with you...but then my "librarian gene" kicks in and says "as much as it's distasteful, we live in a country of free speech." The choice is really ignoring it or not. There's also a selfish part of me -- if they DID close the message board, some of these people would just start with an even stronger viewpoint on some other message board. It does make me sad that the OFC message board is the one that Clay most likely reads, though (not on a regular basis).

If it is affecting some of us, who are huge fans of the man, so deeply, I can only imagine how it must look to outsiders. Maybe I've just been blinded to some extent, for all my prior fussing about it, but today it has really hit me hard.

Working off of champion's and couchie's theory of self-examination, I DO wonder about how this all affected me yesterday. One of the things that I noticed about myself -- is that I'm now almost taking sadistic glee at the way some were reacting after the first blog. "Ha, ha, how stupid." Would I truly be like that to someone in RL? I'm not sure. But I've seen so much crap in the past few years that my only reaction anymore is to laugh AT it. Thing is, I'm not sure I like that in me. Does that make sense?

They are now also discussing ways that Team Clay can go about publically denying this information- as if it is really of that much importance to anyone outside of the fandom- and also trying to decide how we, as Clay's fans, can go about getting the information out there that this was a false story.

Oh.

My.

God.

Barf bags, anyone?

I hope I'm not blowtorching puppies by writing this, though...

Are you kidding? Of course not! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm generally happy about Clay -- I think the angriest look I ever gave him was when he took the camera in Fort Myers and that didn't last more than a second or two -- but I still also generally happy about Clayland. Call me Anne Frank or something but when I'm tempted to tell someone "it's only a tour" or "it's only 1 note in 1 show" or "it's only an album and besides I kinda like it", I usually end up saying to myself, "it's just another fan" or "it's just another board".

You really are a wise woman, and I think I just learned from you. It really almost HAS to be the way to look at this situation. I know it's unfortunate that the "just another fan" is usually one with the loudest voice, but I guess I should just buy a good set of earplugs.

I watch Food Network all the time (yes, as white noise)...and I've yet to see that commercial. *sigh*

Heh....so I cheated. Foundation for a Better Life advertisement. The other ones are here.

lightmyfire, I really don't think you're alone in your way of thinking in regards to that supposed tour. In my case, though, even with getting the blurbs from Billboard and such, this is my take on the whole thing:

Kim is or isn't 100% responsible? Who really knows? Not me, that's for sure.

You're fine in thinking the way you do, but I just can't make a decision on who was responsible. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Maybe it makes me naive, or uncritical in my thinking....but I personally just hate placing blame on someone when I can't discern the whole story.

Meanwhile, I think it's time for...PRETTY PICTURES!!!

61vby9h.jpg

clay016.jpg

ama06-09.jpg

goofygrin.jpg

That's it I'm outta hear......I just can't take it any more! Oh the agony of people posting things I just cannot stand.

:fca:

First it was that snowflake pic and now talking about grapes!!!!!! I hate grapes...hate the smell...hate the texture! When I was a kid and grapes were a luxury item and rationed in England I took all the skins off of a bunch and ate the pips!!! I had never seen them before. My mother went crazy and I remember the smack to this day! I think I was about 3 and even now grapes just make me shudder!

Weird I know! Just don't get me started on eggs*g*

Ok where is the "I love the FCA" emoticon when you need it?

OMG those are some mighty fine jeans!! I think I'll stay!

Edited by merrieeee

ldyjocelyn wrote:

(cindilu2 @ Sep 12 2007, 01:00 PM)

You're fine in thinking the way you do, but I just can't make a decision on who was responsible. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Maybe it makes me naive, or uncritical in my thinking....but I personally just hate placing blame on someone when I can't discern the whole story.

I'm not sure why there's a 'but' in your response to this? Did I imply that I was making a decision or placing blame? I thought I was doing just the opposite.

And I am not decrying freedom of speech (though I do dislike the way the theory has been bastardized). Say whatever you need to - but when you're in my house? I'll reserve the right to expect kindness from you. And that's what the OFC is to me - Clay's house.

ETA:: DOH! Thanks, ldyjocelyn. Got it now - sorry!

Edited by cindilu2

To cindilu2's list I would just have to add "just don't care". I just don't. It's none of my business, and I figure if Clay wants to talk to Kim about what happened, he will. If he wants to address it in the media, he will. End of story. Don't we have a whole lot of good shit to look forward to in the coming months? I don't plan to dwell on the past....because frankly, it makes me sad. It wasn't a stellar day in Clay Nation, that's for sure.

OK, this time I really am going to do some audio reviews. The last two times I said I was gonna, someone came and wanted me to do real work (i.e. not Clay related) instead. Can you imagine such a thing? I should demand a raise. :cryingwlaughter:

What's a Poddie?

MerryClay, there is an explanation around here somewhere, but - to me - the ugly part of the "tempest in a commode" was a perfect picture of poddie-mania.

Some have decided, based on selective cullings and mystical (not to mention tortuously self-serving) interpretations of those of Clay's utterances which fit an agenda or plan, that they know exactly what Clay wants as far as his career is concerned.

Thankfully, efforts to pry loose his mother and friends and choice of domicile seem to have finally withered away.

So, based on eye-twinkles and perhaps 1.017% of what Clay has said in interviews and concert banter and M&Gs and such, it has been declared that he wants to be a cool hot pop rock star, and, most helpfully, a plan seems to exist that will guarantee that very thing, if ONLY he would listen.

So, merryclay, my version of Poddies is that they view everything Clay says or does or anything anyone else says or does concerning Clay, through the lens of The Plan To Make Clay a Hot Cool Pop Rock Star (we will just refer to this as The Plan from now on, because my demonic keyboard does not like me to use the shift key, and does mean things to my typing).

Now, we outsiders have never actually SEEN The Plan, but we sure do know when The Plan has not been followed. When The Plan has been disobeyed, great gnashing of teeth and clicking of heels and dire warnings permeate the atmosphere, and more doom and gloom is predicted for Clay and His Career than any seven witches reading rabbit entrails (obtained from Rabbits that died of old age) could possibly conjure up.

I think that mebbe The Plan is written in vernacular that would give Flannery O'Connor a raging migraine, were she still with us, and only the most intrepid souls can decipher it for themselves.

You might ask, but can't people who have an aversion to seeing Clay sing with two colleagues just, like, not attend?

NONONONO! That would be disobeying The Plan!!!!!!!

And all true believers in the plan must post furiously and often, waving their scissors wildly in the air over the cord that is Clay's Career Path.

And, verily, if the possible disturbance does indeed not come to pass, then some will pat themselves on the back (presumably after putting down those scissors) and congratulate themselves and Clay for averting a terrible terrible deviation from The Plan.

I will entertain questions, if there any any.

By the way, I am now going to tell you guys a deep dark sekrit - I have learned how Clay has decided to render all pronouncements based on the appearance of his eyes useless but amusing -

My Webpage -

do not tell anyone!!!!!!

Edited by djs111

I often give great thought prior to posting my thoughts. I rarely submit in haste.

But, I have most times than not...the feeling that I am unable to articulate or express myself

without being misunderstood.

I never stated that Kim was 100% responsible for this situation. I gave credit to her, her management team, label, and Billboard. I will take the heat for posting my thoughts, but I honestly don't believe that I even implied that she was solely to blame. Is it possible that Billboard published false statements attributed to Kim Locke...I personally, highly doubt that action took place.

cindilu, you've got me a bit out of context. I was talking to lmf, especially if you add the paragraph previous to what I quoted:

lightmyfire, I really don't think you're alone in your way of thinking in regards to that supposed tour. In my case, though, even with getting the blurbs from Billboard and such, this is my take on the whole thing:

QUOTE(cindilu2 @ Sep 12 2007, 01:00 PM) *

Does that help? I should have been clearer about who "you're" is in my statement. Sowwy.

So merrieee, if you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- what flavor of jelly do you use?

For some reason, I think that with the anonymity of the Internet, people forget that those they are trashing are real human beings...with feelings. How must Clay feel when he reads that he's a fool and that his career is going to hell? How must Kim feel when she reads she is a manipulative bitch taking advantage of Clay for what may have been a totally innocent discussion about a possibility. Interviews aren't transcripts. Believe me, I know. My daughter and I were once interviewed for a Mother's Day article in the newspaper. The reporter came and talked with us about an hour, took notes, and wrote the most ridiculously inaccurate article! We were both quoted as saying things we didn't say at all. My daughter said it aptly, "We sound like a couple of saps!!!"

No shit. To attack people because of an article (especially in the world today when legitimate news sources quote that moron PH) shows a complete lack of understanding of the media, IMHO.

As long as you eat (or pretend to eat) Cheez Doodles, merrieeee - we forgive you. Goes looking for some Marmite just for merrieeee....

I looked at the Foundation for a Better Life...where's the bitchy one? Bitchiness makes an excellent life, I think!

No, lightmyfire, I do see what you said and agree with you - Kim owns what she said. I just want to know, why is what she said (or at least the part that made it into the blurb) bad?

I have to admit that I can't give Kim a pass on direct quotes, and particularly not Curb for including the "Reunion" Tour in Kim's press release. If it was just some blurbs in an interview, I would be more inclined to say, "Ah, well, misquoted or whatnot." A press release is a different animal - massaged and polished and crafted to deliver a specific message. However, as always, I'm personally more inclined to blame that sort of stuff on incompetence and miscommunication rather than deliberate malice aforethought. YMMV and all that jazz. I certainly don't think it's the place of any fan to ride to Clay's rescue in any big way, and I don't think trashing Kim achieves too much beyond prolonging the angst.

And now for something really controversial: I LIKE GRAPES. I HATE RAW CARROTS. And I'm not ducking the tomatoes either, particularly if they're nice, ripe, homegrown suckers.

:RedGuy:

I often give great thought prior to posting my thoughts. I rarely submit in haste.

But, I have most times than not...the feeling that I am unable to articulate or express myself

without being misunderstood.

I never stated that Kim was 100% responsible for this situation. I gave credit to her, her management team, label, and Billboard. I will take the heat for posting my thoughts, but I honestly don't believe that I even implied that she was solely to blame. Is it possible that Billboard published false statements attributed to Kim Locke...I personally, highly doubt that action took place.

I agree--you didn't. You said she bore some responsibility. I think you just sparked some further discussion about whether she was to blame at all, how much, and so forth.

points at merrieeee and laughs and laughs...

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!??

Grapes are lovely! So are raw carrots. If someone gave me a mangosteen, I would snarf it down. Spinach and cabbage and any number of leafy green vegetables. And turnips. And beets. Those are evil vegetables!

I'm done with this myself, but just to be able to play, and so others won't feel totally alone, I will say the blog about "the tour" that she put on her MySpace seemed to me to be misleading. If it were just the press release, I might give her the benefit of the doubt. I'm not dogging her, by any means; just making an observation since it is being discussed. It made me doubt, that's all. But, anyway, that ship has sailed, and now I want to know about the Christmas concerts, The TV shows, The Neil Sedaka Tribute and the other 2 TV shows. I think Clay's on a roll. I think the CD will be something we will be proud of.

So merrieee, if you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- what flavor of jelly do you use?

Lime Jello

Can I get a collective "EWWWWW"?

I have to admit that I can't give Kim a pass on direct quotes, and particularly not Curb for including the "Reunion" Tour in Kim's press release. If it was just some blurbs in an interview, I would be more inclined to say, "Ah, well, misquoted or whatnot." A press release is a different animal - massaged and polished and crafted to deliver a specific message. However, as always, I'm personally more inclined to blame that sort of stuff on incompetence and miscommunication rather than deliberate malice aforethought. YMMV and all that jazz. I certainly don't think it's the place of any fan to ride to Clay's rescue in any big way, and I don't think trashing Kim achieves too much beyond prolonging the angst.

bottlecap, you're a smart woman!

LIME JELLO!?!? OMG!!

I disagree that any message board shouldn't exist. Newbies have brains. They will find a place on the Internets that suits them.

{{{jmh123}}}... you'll never change anyone's mind, just as they'll never change yours. For me, that's the answer. As simplistic as it sounds. It's just a fandom. Why try? For me, I can only sit back and watch and feel however I feel. I will choose to share my feelings when and with whom I want. But mostly I just observe the "normal nuttiness" and enjoy Clay. I can't control any faction of the clorilla (actually I don't even believe there is such a thing) any more than anyone else can, even those who think they have a "strong voice in the fandom". I can only participate where I'm comfortable and let the rest go, lest I become as bitter and angry as those I mock. I do reserve the right to look out the window of my home(s) and be amused by it, or poke fun at it, at any time, however. :lol:

The thing is, there are more fans outside "the fandom" than there are inside it, if you ask me. I don't worry about how some comparatively small community of Clay's fans supposedly "runs" his career, because they don't.

Hee, djs!

I cracked a tooth on a Dorito this weekend...a fucking DORITO!!1! Oy! off to the dentist.

*hides the beautiful grape clusters from merrrieeeeee* sourgrapes.gif