#16 Veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Do you ever get the idea that people who declared to love Clay unconditionally, have conditions?
    • Thing is, you can't live someone else's life for them. You only get your own.
    • Oh, the humanity!
    • being yourself is the coolest thing you can do.
    • Cool melts in the warmth of anything real.
    • Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants!
    • CLAY SERVED UP WITH SOME CHOCOLATE AND JELLO.
    • "Harder! Harder! Faster! Faster!" "Gimmee more!"
    • It was so much more simple when it was only about love.
    • You can't legislate intelligence
    • One of the things I admire about Clay is his ability to keep on doing the backstroke while everyone else is in the 500m Freestyle
    • I hope he's counting and nibbling on his toes
    • Good Morning!! I love that Clay Aiken dude!
    • There is something excruciatingly and wonderfully manly about that man---yet all the while painfully gentle and tender.
    • I'm confused and concerned, Clay...BLOG ME!
    • Whew, it is over. That was DECON 5 averted big time.
    • Now back to the normal nuttiness. laugh.gif
    • "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Can I say what I just read here calmly working out differences in perception about who posted what and what they meant by it was the one most awesome things I've ever seen happen on a message board? Y'all rawk!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA: And even being stuck at the top of the page won't harsh my buzz.

I think there are fans who are happy with Clay being Super Dork or Super Nerd or whatever and forever having a cult-like, not-many-people-get-it following. And I think there are fans who devoutly wish he were Mr. Top 40 and Mr. Hip Singer Guy. And then I think there's the vast gray in the middle. For instance, I don't care if he's ever considered "cool" by radio/MTV/etc. standards, but I would like to get to a point where he's not the whipping boy for every constipated and disgruntled DJ/blogger. Not to fall into comparisons, but you don't hear the same, almost vicious response to Josh Groban or Michael Bublé. They are certainly not considered "cool" or "hip," but for whatever reason, they're allowed to exist in relative peace. Is it because Clay is competing directly with the Top 40 folks? Is it his open criticism of the MTV/BMA/radio world? Is it the so-called law of "nice guys finish last"? I have no idea. But I would like perception of him to change a bit...just not necessarily to the "cool" side of the playground. I'd just like him to stop being the kid who gets pummeled in dodge ball. He may be fine with that, but I'm not. That's not to say I'm right and he's wrong. It's also not to say that he should change anything he does. It's just to say that's how I feel. I have to think it's something like a twisted parent/child relationship, lol. Kid can be slighted in some way and not give it much thought, but the parent is furious. Again, probably not the healthiest feelings to have, but they're feelings nonetheless.

Some fans, however, seem to have trouble reconciling who he is with who they want him to be.

I agree. It's amazing how everything he does can simultaneously "fit" into dozens of different "personas" of him that fans have created.

I agree with the opinions about many fans thinking Clay is not cool enough. My analysis is that there is a LOT of fear of loss involved. If he doesn't do this, we'll lose him (and all that goes with him), if he doesn't look like that, we'll lose him, etc. When people don't trust, they try to control. And, the anomymity of the internet lets them be very vocal about it, unfortunately! I think one of the things Clay is here to do is to bring the message that being yourself is the coolest thing you can do.

Word, word, word. People do and say and act in all sorts of ways they normally wouldn't when they are comfortably ensconced behind a computer. That can be in a very positive way - more outgoing, more confident, etc. - or it can, of course, be quite negative - attacking, judging, bullying, etc.

They are now also discussing ways that Team Clay can go about publically denying this information- as if it is really of that much importance to anyone outside of the fandom- and also trying to decide how we, as Clay's fans, can go about getting the information out there that this was a false story.

Oy.

Oooh, and I see that - but I treat Kim like any other artist of my acquaintance - didn't look at the press release - didn't even go to her MySpace page.

I only really realized the Kelly is touring again (and apparently will hit Houston) because I saw an ad on TV. I knew 50 Cents and Kanye West albums dropped because someone mentioned it on the board because it was mentioned on Kimmel.

It really never occurred to me to do anything BUT wait on hearing something from Clay's official site. Hell, that Grand Prairie/Frisco fiasco is still too fresh in my mind. And that had all kinds of "official" confirmations.

But ya know what? On the Clay as whipping boy? (And not in that fun way?). Josh Groban and Michael Buble honestly at one point were sort of "cool" and "hip" - for a certain segment of the population and for a limited amount of time. It just depends on what population you're looking at. That's the problem with being cool - you're always "not cool" to somebody else. There is a huge segment that think of Justin Timberlake as a "guilty pleasure", as a gansta wannabe, as a warbling boy pop tart. There are people laughing at 50 Cents and Kanye's "feud", and don't get me started on Britney. For some, as soon as the mainstream thinks you're "cool" or worse yet, if the noncool people can identify you, you aren't cool anymore.

I know it's really shallow, but 90% of those people who mock Clay, DJs or whoever, if you say their name to anyone outside of their nearest and dearest, the only reaction is a "Who?" That's not Clay.

I've had enough.

I can put up with almost anything, but the conversation here has stopped to a new low.

:3:

GRITS! WTF can eat those disgusting clumps of white glop?????

Grits = something to put a WHOLE lot of butter on. And since I lurve butter (I can eat spoonfuls of butter straight up -- yes, I'm strange, and probably waiting for a heart attack), I lurve grits.

I love the way this conversation has turned. :F_05BL17blowkiss: to lilyshine for posting that salad recipe!!

KAndre, sugar?!?!?! No way. Salt. Lots of it. (See, told you -- heart attack waiting to happen...)

Liver? That's disgusting...

You chicken posing heathen!

Grits are the perfect conveyance for eating lots of butter and sugar! (see ldyj's note above)

Squash! That's what's disgusting!

And chitterlings.

Chitterlings. Green Jello. Grits?

Y'all are sick. SICK I tell ya!

*wipes the remains of her Butternut Squash Soup lunch from her chin, and flees FCA*

oh god, HATE HATE chitlins with a passion. My mom still likes to makes them at least once a year.

sugar on grits? are you out of your freakin' lovely lovely mind KAndre? Everybody knows

Liver and onions covered with gravy? YUM..wow I haven't had that in years... hmmm can I eat it now or is that bad for dieters..BWAH on the dieting part.

Hey guys I just got a Google Alert telling me there's going to be a tour with Kim Locke! Anyone heard anything about this????

:cryingwlaughter:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I had the same feelings JMH. I decided last night to read all the comments to Clay's first blog. I wonder if people don't realize that these comments can't be edited and will be there for, maybe, ever. Very very sad. I just hope that Clay doesn't get around to reading some of them, although I think he would get a good laugh. Actually most comments were very nice. It was just a few that were downright insulting.

But then I realize that to some people this is their whole life. They may be homebound or possibly institutionalized or suffer from depression. What would I do if I were in their shoes. Perhaps as a Clay fan I should rethink how I reacted to what I considered their irrational responses. My only problem with this is I don't really want to be nice to those who are intentionally baiting the other fans, so they don't get a pass.

ETA: Why the heck does it take me so long to post that now the topic is grits?

Edited by FearofH2O

Grits are great. Tre made the most amazing looking item using grits on Top Chef.

Jello - now that's another story. Jello just creeps me out. Lime or otherwise. It moves of it's own free will. Not OK in a food.

------

A few thoughts on the fandom....

I can't relate to the reactions we saw on some of the boards yesterday. I just don't get it. And I was surprised to see such comments from people I didn't expect them from. I don't mean personal displeasure for the idea - that I get. I mean the expectations of Clay, the judgment of a decision that was unconfirmd, the anger toward him for not calming the masses. I'm trying to figure out where it came from, and all I can come up with is a loss of perspective, a level of investment, time spent, and relative isolation that keeps the real world from seeping in. My goodness, so many people went off the deep end instantaneously without even giving the poor guy time to know what's going on. I laughed at one banter comment this summer in which Clay was asking how many concerts people have been to, and he finally asks how many people have been to more than he's been to. That sort of says it all to me. Fans sometimes have more Clay- related information than he does, and don't realize it. Too much information, and yet not enough knowledge.

I felt badly for him yesterday. So pre-judged. And his friends so maligned. And by people who profess to care about him, and who I believe really do in their way. And I felt badly for the fandom who seemed to suffer unnecessarily. I can only hope that some learning will come from this.

Edited by duckyvee

{{{jmh123}}}... you'll never change anyone's mind, just as they'll never change yours. For me, that's the answer. As simplistic as it sounds. It's just a fandom. Why try?

I agree that you'll never change anyone's mind. Some might argue it would be more constructive to try, and once upon a time I did try, but I gave that up. Now I mock and pontificate instead, cause it makes me feel better, but it does sometimes concern me that my doing so appears to alienate people or harden them in views that I think are just stoooopid!

Grits are the perfect conveyance for eating lots of butter and sugar! (see ldyj's note above)

Butter and salt yes, sugar nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've eaten grits, just ask jmh123. :RedGuy: Although I think she ate more of them than I did! But they were loaded up with butter and cheese!

Those were some good grits too!! What's yummy is grits with scrambled egg and cheese and bacon bits. MMMMMMM.

Edited by jmh123

OMG, in college, I spent the weekend with my roommate and her family and her Mom was making chitlin's. I can still SMELL that odor. There aint NO disguising where a chitlin came from. Uhn unh. No way.

Oh, um, I left out the part of a poddie party where harsh blame must be assigned, remedies must be put forth, great huzzah! is given to statements that fans should stay out of Clay's bidness, after which some of the very same fans proceed to directly try and insert themselves into Clay's bidness, and, once again, in the face of years of what I now am convinced is deliberate silence, the nomination of people who feel they know better than Team Clay, and, indeed, Clay hisself, are bandied about.

Happens like that every single time.

"Clay said he is happy and likes to sing reggae in the shower.

No!!!!!! (Sound of pages being furiously flipped through....) Clay cannot even mention reggae until he is 35 YO and has just released his tenth CD!!!!!!!

He is ruined!!!!!!!! It is Faye's fault!!!!! Or Mary's fault!!!!!!!!! It is Jamie's fault, she gave him dreads for Christmas!!!!!

We need to make a thread at the OFC so we can tell him NO reggae!!!!!!"

I love grits. With butter and pepper. Been eating grits since I was 5.

I believe there is no way to make cooked cauliflower edible except maybe drenching it with cheese. And then eating just the cheese, along with whatever cauliflower molecules have gummed themselves to the cheese.

Asparagus is fabulous. Freshed, canned, whatever. I keep a can of it in the frig, it makes a nice salad with balsamic vinaigrette on it.

Brussel sprouts are even better....melt in my mouth like candy

What the hell kind of candy do you eat?!?!?

SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR! I like my lye drenched corn SWEET! drags merryclay behind her barricade...

Liver, ptui!

Chitterlings are the devil's food.

Tree ripened Georgia peaches. Texas watermelon (no salt! What is it with you people and salt?) Cheese on EVERYTHING. Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream (feh to that Breyer's wannabe peach stuff!) Texas Bar-b-que!

These are a few of my favorite things.

Yes, djs and I unite again the cauliflower!

Lime Jello

Hee I quoted myself!

I really should explain. When I first came to this country my DH asked me to make him a PB&J sandwich. Well in England jelly is Jello and I had never eaten Peanut Butter! So as I had lime Jello made I made a sandwich with it! I saw nothing wrong with it, to me Jello was jelly. My Hubby, of 3 weeks, gallantly ate it and then explained to me the difference. We still laugh about that even after 38 years. Now I actually use Blackcurrant Jam. Yum!

Favorite things:

Brussel sprouts!!! YES!!

Arugula

Tomatoes that smell and taste like tomatoes, not like the shit that is usually sold in the store and pretends to be a tomato.

Chocolate mousse (NOT the kind with whipcream, but the kind with egg whites)

OH (whimper, whimper), I'm supoosed to be on a f$%king diet!!!!

Peanut butter only goes with strawberry or peach preserves! Blackcurrant jam only goes on well buttered and/or cheese toast! tsk, tsk, merrieeee!

Pfui! Now I will have to make buttered, cheese and cinnamon toast when I get home...it's all you people's fault.

Peanut butter only goes with strawberry or peach preserves! Blackcurrant jam only goes on well buttered and/or cheese toast! tsk, tsk, merrieeee!

Pfui! Now I will have to make buttered, cheese and cinnamon toast when I get home...it's all you people's fault.

Is this like cheese and cinnamon TOGETHER--you know, on the same piece of bread (holds mouth tight to keep from retching)?????????

Yeah, like Mr. Mac-n-Cheese and Krispy Kremes is any better 'n us.

And you know, a blueberry muffin is nothing but cake with a good (for once) ad campaign.

ETA:

No, child, no!

Buttered toast - then cheese toast - THEN cinnamon toast (the sugar is a given with me).

I've had enough.

I can put up with almost anything, but the conversation here has stopped to a new low.

GRITS! WTF can eat those disgusting clumps of white glop?????

Squash! That's what's disgusting!

And chitterlings.

Take pity on a Yankee. What ARE these things of which you speak?

Jello - now that's another story. Jello just creeps me out. Lime or otherwise. It moves of it's own free will. Not OK in a food.

BWAAH!!!

OMG, in college, I spent the weekend with my roommate and her family and her Mom was making chitlin's. I can still SMELL that odor. There aint NO disguising where a chitlin came from. Uhn unh. No way.

OK, I'll bite! (not literally!) Where are they from? And are chitlins the same thing as chitterlings?

Brussel sprouts are even better....melt in my mouth like candy

What the hell kind of candy do you eat?!?!?

Chitterlings are the devil's food.

LMAO!

Well, I feel like I'm getting an education here today! :laugh2:

Think I just screwed up all of my quotes. We shall see.....

Yep, I did. WTH???

WooHoo! Thanks KAndre! Now it looks all pretty!

Edited by laljeterfan

Yeah, like Mr. Mac-n-Cheese and Krispy Kremes is any better 'n us.

And you know, a blueberry muffin is nothing but cake with a good (for once) ad campaign.

ETA:

No, child, no!

Buttered toast - then cheese toast - THEN cinnamon toast (the sugar is a given with me).

Oh, thank God. I thought you were truly depraved!!!

OK, then, THREE pieces of toast.

I can go with that.