CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition?

Looks like an either/or question but, for me, the answer is "yes." It's both. It's my favorite hobby for sure. But Clay is surely an addiction for me too - I can't get enough of him, I start on him early in the morning, I generally think about him some during the day regardless of what I'm doing, the more I see him, the more I wanna see him. I miss him when I don't see him. Yep, I think that's an addiction. But he's also my hobby in the sense that I like knowing all the details about him but I don't wanna change the details or worry about the details, I just wanna have fun with them.

this makes no sense.

Since I just got here and time is up, I'll just do a WORD to this. Same for me.

And since time is up, I won't answer the other two questions except to say I tend to do more behind the scenes, or try to, and there isn't time to be around as much as I'd like to. Still trying to find the balance between living out west w/ family versus when I was by myself in Dallas. I hates that my Claytime suffers.

What would you considered a "blowtorched puppy" -- in other words, what could Clay do that would make you stop being a fan?

Nothing probably. The voice makes me happy. The man’s heart, regarding his educational beliefs and his charities, makes me smile. If he started singing a type of music I didn’t care for I would still buy his stuff.

I don’t care who he chooses to sleep with, live with, or discuss politics with. That’s his private stuff and while I may have some curiosity, nothing he would ever do in that respect would make me a non-fan.

...in other words, the man owns me.

...and just wanted to ask/remark about that last question (btw, can I do that?)...do you think some of us spend less time on the boards because our fandom has evolved, or our technology? No need to stay up all night to hear about the concerts when we can stream it, or get a cert or get downloads shortly after the concert ends.

Hey, CG!

I vote occasionally, but only in polls that have some kind of significant mainstream exposure -- like on the USA Today web site. These rinky dink polls on random idol fan sites don't interest me.

Blowtorched puppy? If I ever found out that his concern for children with disabilities (or from struggling economies) was faked for purely PR purposes -- that would do it for me. But somehow, I can't even imagine that being the case.

QUESTION TWO:

What would you considered a "blowtorched puppy" -- in other words, what could Clay do that would make you stop being a fan?

Don't blowtorch puppies!!!!!! That's mean!!!!!!!

What would make me stop being a fan of Clay's? Well, if I no longer found it fun, I would no longer be a f an. If he followed a path I couldn't follow, I would no longer be a fan. For example, if he started singing preachy songs like YWT - became a "Christian" artist who preached when he sang - I couldn't follow him dow that road. I don't appreciate sermons served up with my music.

I would, however, still be a fan of the voice. I would still be a fan of the man. I just would no longer be a fan of the music. And since that is at the core of my fandom, I would have to step aside.

But if he ever put out another album of heathen music, I would be right back with him.

Other than him commiting some horrendous crime, that would be about it.

I think.

Maybe it depends on how you define "addiction?" I consider myself addicted but I don't spend money I can't afford, neglect my job, neglect my family, neglect my friends or any of that stuff.

Maybe it's "semantics."

And maybe I'm not really addicted cause I have to go. Hate to miss the rest. So I'll just pre-post and say, it's hard for me to imagine a "burnt puppy" moment when it comes to Clay. It would have to be something involving Clay not being the person he has seemed to be for the past 4 years. I can't picture that happening though. And I'd probably still listen to his music.

blowtorched puppy:

I cannot imagine any likely scenario that would cause me to no longer be his fan. Doesn't matter to me what kind of music he sings as long as he records and tours so I can hear him and see him. Don't care what his hair looks like, what he wears, who he loves, etc.

Nothing really... I mean, if he told me I was a stupid, ugly, fat bitch or something, I might tell him to fuck off and then we'd fight and then I'd hate him for about 10 minutes, and then I'd probably still peek in to see what he's doing and listen to him sing. Oy. :lol:

No, seriously... I have no idea. I don't care all that much ... I mean, I appreciate so many things about him that he'd have to seriously change for me to not be a fan. I don't even care about if he were a "phony"... whatever he tells "me" right now is what he wants me to believe... if it's fantasy... I can live with that. It's only for fun for me.

The online fandom thing... that's not up to him. And I can see quitting that if I run out of sane people to hang with.

Um, steroids? LOL!

Stop singing completely. That's about it.

You know, and you can kill me for this, but even that wouldn't do it for me. I enjoy his humor too much. Sure, I love the voice, but his ability to make me laugh would still keep me around even if he never sang another note.

Only blowtorched puppy I can think of (besides really horrible criminal activity - not the cool kind like in "It Takes A Thief" cause that is naughtily hot) is if he told me to "fuck off" to my face. Otherwise I'm good.

Actually, the thought of him doing that to my face makes me all kind of hawt.

Wow this is really a hard thing to answer. So far, I have totally enjoyed or understood everything that Clay has done. I guess I have no expectations that he would be perfect or that he would do everything that I think he should do...cos basically...its his life and career, what do I know about anything.

So...I sit here thinking about all kinds of scenario that would make me not support him anymore and all the scnerios I can think of are things that I know Clay is not...I hate bigots and I know he is not...I hate phonies and I know he is not. I know he is no criminal...

Even if he makes a CD that I totally not like...I will buy one copy and hope I like the next one.

The only thing I can think of that would make me stop being a fan is if he became boring to me, but I don't see how that could happen. He's become more interesting over time.

I'm OK with whatever direction he takes in his career, musical and otherwise.

As for his personal life... well, I'll admit to being interested in it, but there's nothing I can think of that would affect my fandom. It's just not about that for me.

OK, if Clay committed some horrible crime against humanity, I might have a problem with that, but I surely don't see that happening.

Only blowtorched puppy I can think of (besides really horrible criminal activity - not the cool kind like in "It Takes A Thief" cause that is naughtily hot) is if he told me to "fuck off" to my face. Otherwise I'm good.

The niceness of Clay is just a bonus - most of the talent I like I don't have a clue whether or not they are "nice" or not.

I agree with this KAndre. And Yeah..cool crime is ok with me too heh.

I have been a fan of people for years and years and couldnt' tell you a thing about them. Sometimes I feel we know so much about Clay that we do get "disappointed" in him. I can't think of another celeb that I actually care to know even the simplest of things. Does Denzel have brothers and sisters, a college degree, a charity he's iinvoved in? I haven't a clue.

Nothing really... I mean, if he told me I was a stupid, ugly, fat bitch or something, I might tell him to fuck off and then we'd fight and then I'd hate him for about 10 minutes, and then I'd probably still peek in to see what he's doing and listen to him sing. Oy. :lol:

Ah face it! If he did that to you, you would be hoping for make-up sex!!!

Actually, the thought of him doing that to my face makes me all kind of hawt.

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Crap = I wish I didn't have to leave - you guys are YNNUF!!!!!! :cryingwlaughter:

Stop singing completely. That's about it.

well, retiring would pretty much piss me off, no more road trips.

Note to Ansa - I do buy mukltiple copies - Ask Fear, she was very happy when I gave her an unopened TitnBotw single. She didn't hink to buy one for herself. I give away almost all my multiples. pins and other wise.

...and just wanted to ask/remark about that last question (btw, can I do that?)...do you think some of us spend less time on the boards because our fandom has evolved, or our technology? No need to stay up all night to hear about the concerts when we can stream it, or get a cert or get downloads shortly after the concert ends.

you have a point. I know there will be clack. That gives me a great part of my life back right there. No more video taping.

Blowtorched puppy? If I ever found out that his concern for children with disabilities (or from struggling economies) was faked for purely PR purposes -- that would do it for me. But somehow, I can't even imagine that being the case.

Yes, this is what I mean about being a phoney/phony (oh shit, how do you spell that?!)... I can't imagine it either... he pretty much owns me too... I'd follow him down pretty much any musical path... rap would be painful, but I'd follow... hair, clothes, cheese, none of that scares/bothers me...

I think the "blowtorched puppy" question is a very interesting one, if one looks deep into oneself. For me, I think it would be that he'd have to be arrested and convicted for a major crime -- murder, for example. Not that I think that would happen though....

I hate the image of a "blowtorched puppy", but I agree that it would have to be a major crime, as in Phil Spector or OJ, for me to not be able to separate the man and the music. I can't really think of anything else. I'd happy follow him to any genre of music, even Mongolian Polka! His voice appeals to me more than any other voice has ever appealed to me. The rest is a bonus.

blowtorched puppy question --

I truly can't imagine not being a fan of Clay and agree it would have to be something horribly criminal and henious, but even with witnesses I would probably doubt the truth of the charge. If he ever got into drugs, that would bother me tremendously, and I'd be pulling for him to get out of that world, but I don't think that would be a blowtorched puppy issue for me. I would hurt for him very much and want to help.

Any genre of music is fine with me. I'd even suffer through rap and hip hop with him!

Edited by AnAmeraikenInTX

I think my fandom has evolved !!! because if I had answered this "blowtorch puppy" question back in 2003, I could have come up with several things. And....if I had known back then a couple of the things that I have stayed with him through, I may have predicted those things would have ended my fandom. But....now I have seen the amazing way he has handled all of these things (the mess, the mandated CD , to name two) and my love/respect for him have just grown. So that now, I cannot envision anything that would end my fandom for him. Even if he stopped singing and ran for office ........... I would probably move to NC and join his campaign !!

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Ah face it! If he did that to you, you would be hoping for make-up sex!!!

Hoping? Hell, I'd be begging! LOL!