CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

How does Clay combat the tabloid media?

He ignores, he mocks

Totally !! We should do the same...

ok we do seem to have a consensus on Clay ..almost...but I agree with this... WE need to follow Clay's example as I honestly don't know what engaging the cockroaches has done to help CLay.

I honestly think the "unasked" question related to this question is "Should Clay fight the tabloid media?" I agree with everyone that he really should just ignore....but I get the feeling that some want him to be the "poster child" for taking on the media, in order to make that change in society. Society seems to love this kind of tabloid stuff, and I think that there are many of us that are sick of it. Question is, should Clay be the person leading the revolution? I don't think so, myself. I think it has to come from LOTS of people, starting with US. If we ignore, the ratings and sales go down (hopefully), and this stuff might go away.

He can't win if he tries and fights them. All he would accomplishis drawing A LOT of attention to every story and spend TONS of money on lawyers.

The tabloids thrive on attention. Fighting them gives them more attention than they deserve.

Plus, many WANT salacious gossip. The LOVE it. These rags very much appeal to those people. As long as there is a market for them - which will probably be forever - there will be tabloids. And as long as Clay is famous - which I hope is forever - he will at one time or another be the object of their slings and arrows.

All he can do is draw as little attention to them as possible.

His humor is his greatest weapon... It wasn't tabloid exactly, but his AMA response to Ripagate was PERFECT. He got a lot of respect for not hiding his head and making fun of the whole thing. He's awesome!

I have never seen one single person buy one of these things while at the grocery store.

But unfortunately, all the idiot DJs usually do a morning gossip report including tabloid stories. The good thing is that I think most people can't remember most gossip tidbits they heard a year ago. I certainly can't remember anything I heard regarding celebrities I'm not interested in.

As far as fighting the tabloids goes, I think it would be sad for Clay to use any of his resources to try to fight them. He is not like Tom Cruise who was making 20+ million per movie. Fighting them would probably just bring more attention to them. Like Couchie, said the main stream news and entertainment shows are starting to use tabloids and blogs as sources and I'm sure a good portion of readers/viewers are not even aware of this.

I think the other thing to remember with this is that Clay's NOT the only celebrity out there. I think almost EVERY celebrity gets crap from the tabloids -- it's just we don't pay attention because it's not Clay. This is really one instance where we need to ignore, even if it is Clay.

JMO.

Agree that the fans need to ignore too... I don't e-mail people who say shit about him... he's a big boy (heh) and doesn't need me to fight his battles... besides I have a son and if I'm gonna fight battles for anyone, it's him... fans need to stop engaging the enemy (so to speak) and give them the cold shoulder... if only saying it would make it so...

How does Clay combat the tabloid media?

Whether Clay or anyone else, if they became the poster child for taking on the media, that would become their full-time job. Society, often, is.just.sick, and getting sicker by the day, it seems, relating to the relentless appetite for nosing into celebrities lives, IMO. I agree with what has been said upthread, just IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE - and it's lots of fun when he can poke fun at things when the opportunity presents itsle, such as while on tour. He handled some sh..stuff brilliantly on last Christmas tour, I thought.

If we ignore, the ratings and sales go down (hopefully), and this stuff might go away.

The problem is the tabloid celebrity-driven industry seems to be expanding, at least with television shows. I agree that Clay's basic tactic should be to ignore, but today's culture has an appetite for the salacious and he is a convenient target for a salacious story. I don't think he can do anything but live his life and ignore what he can.

As far as fighting the tabloids goes, I think it would be sad for Clay to use any of his resources to try to fight them. He is not like Tom Cruise who was making 20+ million per movie. Fighting them would probably just bring more attention to them. Like Couchie, said the main stream news and entertainment shows are starting to use tabloids and blogs as sources and I'm sure a good portion of readers/viewers are not even aware of this.

And see, this gets into the whole "information literacy" concept that I work with every day! The changes in technology came so fast, our ability to pick reliable sources got muddied. Librarians are having to deal with this every damn day. And also unfortunately, people don't seem to care about that all that much either.

[/soap box]

I'm going to let this topic go for 5 more minutes, and then next topic....

We have to remember that the tabloids have not treated Clay any worse than all other celebrities - and in some case much better - as sad as that may be. We're just more aware of it because we're on these damn boards obsessively for hours and hours and hours......

All the lean toward tabloid jounalism is actually pretty scary.

IMO it is a off-shoot of many's need to pull down the successful one. Many tend to support the underdog and then try to pull down the upper dog... LOL Most unfortunately!!!

I think the other thing to remember with this is that Clay's NOT the only celebrity out there. I think almost EVERY celebrity gets crap from the tabloids -- it's just we don't pay attention because it's not Clay. This is really one instance where we need to ignore, even if it is Clay.

JMO.

This one's easy isn't it? I'm with everyone else. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Stay out of the "celebrity" limelight, don't court the paparazzi. He's handled it well, I think. And yes, you are so right, ldyj. People forget that lots of people get shit from the tabloids.

Heh, I have to break it to Fear that she met someone who subscribed to National Enq. My old college friend - she has issues, let's leave it at that. It is time to call her for her birthday, she and her boyfirend might be able to drive over to Vegas.

So you think this is someone I would want to meet? Ick!!

I'm sure Clay has gotten some pretty high level and experienced advice as how to deal with this stuff. That is why I don't understand why some fans think they know better than Clay how to handle things.

If you want to talk about that, I am horrified about how much coverage that Britney, Lindsay and now OJ get on the news and there are currently 25,000 cases of cholera in Iraq (up from 300 a year under Sadaam) and that you have to search international papers to find coverage

ETA - it is someone you met before - Chloe. She's nuts and in her own world, but funny

Edited by playbiller

I agree that the way Clay handles thing with humor..during his tours is hilarious. Remember when he joked about some baby he was supposed to have fathered..did that ever make the tabloids.... embracing being the controvery kind publicly is another way he handles it.

We have to remember that the tabloids have not treated Clay any worse than all other celebrities - and in some case much better - as sad as that may be. We're just more aware of it because we're on these damn boards obsessively for hours and hours and hours......

So true... I have looked at the covers of these while standing in line at the grocery store - don't touch them, but look just to see who's getting crapped on that week... I wouldn't know half of the stuff they're saying about anyone if not for the computer/internet...

I'm proud of the way Clay doesn't just ignore, he refuses to give them any power over his life. He hires, associates, makes friends with whomever he chooses. He speaks out frankly on things that are important to him; he is candid and open on stage, uncaring of whether he or others could get him into an embarassing situation (what if during his pre-Classics banter of "YOu may have heard this on the radio or whispered by your friend. I'm... I'm...I'm" some idiot who had somehow gotten into the venue had finished the sentence for him? 'course the creep probably wouldn't have made it out of there with all limbs intact, Claymates being what they are) What I'm trying to say is that a lot of people react to nasty stuff by being very protective of themselves. Clay just goes happily into the world, seemingly untouched by these.

Live, love and enjoy life, and go about his own business as usual. This imo is the best weapon of all -- and it might just drive the creeps to beat themselves to death in frustration.