CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

As for Clay evolving, I am continually amazed that the guy who did such an awkward hip shake on "Grease" has become the seemingly uninhibited and naturally fluid dancer during the "Classics" this summer.

I think his voice has the potential to become even better as he matures. I already hear a lot more I like than I did four years ago, and I didn't think that I could like his voice any more back then.

heee so agree about the hip shake!! He is so much more comfortable in his own body.

I think this goes along with him not being the "virgin geek" any more!! :cryingwlaughter:

How do you feel Clay's voice has evolved over the past 4 years?

When I listen to Clay’s demos his voice is pure and beautiful, but the timing in some of the songs seems to be off IMHO. I think he has become the master of timing and improvising when it comes to singing a song now. I wish he would take care of his voice more then he does because at times he seems to struggle while singing.

I think Clay's voice has matured in that he no longer has to show us what he can do with it but he actually uses it to impart the emotion in the words. He can still hold notes longer than most singers and hit those high notes but most people who saw him on AI know that. Now he is an adult and has probably experienced more various emotions and that is what most people have not seen. ALso he has succesfully sung genres which he might not have tried before.

That idol site that has put Clay up against various AI singers has TLS up there now. Wow I had forgotten about that performance. His voice is the best, at least to me.

Well, I sure glad his stamina has improved :cryingwlaughter:

His voice, I think he has learned to use some nuances.

Sometimes when I listen to Clay, even as recently as this tour, I still hear some of the unique characteristics in his voice that were there even in the demos. I do think he tries to learn from other performers and take something that might work for him. I think recording ATDW gave him that chance to experiment a little bit more vocally.

I think a good male singer's voice usually does improve with age.

His voice has more character... that's it, more character!

Good word. And I accidentally deleted it, but yes, those vocal runs during the ATDW tour were amazing. Seems like he was still "playing" a lot and not taking it seriously, but you could hear the potential that's there.

Clay's stamina in singing has improved, as well. It's really tough for a singer to do a whole show like Clay does, without experiencing vocal fatigue. I don't think he could have done that right out of AI. But he's a pro at it now!

It amazes me how his voice just gets better and better as a tour goes on, and four nights in a row--better each night. It's fascinating to me that he can do that.

How do you feel Clay's voice has evolved over the past 4 years?

When I listen to Clay’s demos his voice is pure and beautiful, but the timing in some of the songs seems to be off IMHO. I think he has become the master of timing and improvising when it comes to singing a song now. I wish he would take care of his voice more then he does because at times he seems to struggle while singing.

Some of the timing issues on the demos might have been because he was singing to pre-recorded tracks. Tracks don't follow you like a band does, and the instruments and vocals weren't tailored to Clay's wishes. JMO. I agree that he's usually spot-on with his timing now.

Edited by Gibby

Ditto to everything Gibby just said. One more thing, he is showing a lot of range lately. Michael Orland told fans Clay's weakest point was his high notes (forgot the official name) and that he was working on it, and if he ever perfected it, there would be no stopping him beause he is just THAT good. So I've noticed the high sustained notes this last tour that had been a little weak during some Idol songs. There is NO weakness what.so.ever.

I didn't completely love Clay's falsetto voice during AI, but Lord have mercy, I love it now!!! And it is so interesting to me how the development of it has progressed over the years. I remember during the JNT04, I didn't completely care for it when he went for that note in falsetto in DSIAFCD, but he hit them better during JNT05 and I started becoming a fan, and by JNT06, that sucker is nailed, gorgeous and HIS! I love his falsetto now!!!

I remember thinking during the NAT...how would his voice last singing Solitaire & TITN over the course of the tour? Pffft. Shows how much I know.

Yeah, that, and in the heat of the outside for the JBT tour he sings Solataire and BOTW - hee, we are so naive.

(I was going to say dumb, but it is not niceto drag others along that path with me)

Note: I am eating candy corn right now! corny3.gif

AAIT, I don't think that Clay was doing that high note in DSIAFCD in falsetto. I think the reason that it was difficult for him to sing is that he was trying to sing it in full voice, and it's at the top of his full-voice range. In other words, he was trying to belt at the top of his range. He could very easily hit that note and higher notes in falsetto, but not with as much power. IMO that's why he was trying to belt it. But he sure can belt it out in full voice now!!

There, CG, I disagreed with someone. Does that make you happy? :RedGuy: Heeee.

His voice is richer IMO that when he was on AI. Also, not as pure as it was then. He has used it and made it richer. More nuances, more runs.

He also likes to stretch himself... AIW.

His voice has more character... that's it, more character!

It seems to have more character, more nuances, more power. It is not as "bright" as it was 4 years ago. But then, his voice was different, to me, on the demo songs when he was much younger. Do all men's voices go through changes like this ? I think I will just stay around and see how his voice changes over the next couple of.............decades !!

Love him.

These are my impressions as well.

Early Clay/Demo Clay/ai2 Clay had a bright simple clarity to his voice, with an impressive range and big powerful glory noting capacity. But, Clay's voice sounds to me like it has grown less "bright" and more rich and has greater complexity.

He definitely has maintained his range and power, and I believe strengthened it. I think Clay likes to try songs that challenge his range, and likes to showboat some on those glory notes. I remember spotlightlover's analysis of AIW last fall...IIRC, she explained that song had the widest range of any song we'd previously heard from Clay...from the deep depths of the opening to the high peaks of the crescendo.

The other thing I think he does better now is slide in and out (eeep!) of his falsetto, ala the Classics Medley and LAA of the recent summer tour.

LAA also demonstrates a simplicity that Clay didn't seem willing to show earlier. There's a soft rawness to his tone, yet substance at the same time. LAA and EIH give me hope Clay is more willing to take risks with his voice that don't involve glory noting, but simplicity in delivery that still lets his voice be the star.

I don't know a thing about music, beyond what I learned in 7th grade girl's choir, so none of the above is meant to imply technical knowledge....I'm just talking about what I hear.

I have been totally addicted to he and Quiana singing Listen together at Sterling Heights. Toward the end of the song, he goes into a lower range I haven't heard since his demos and certainly hope to hear again.

I think that on AI, they sorta targeted songs in this mid to upper register for the "pop" songs. He has pretty much stayed there except for a few low notes now and then. When he and Q jammed, he went back to pre-AI range from what I remember from his pre-AI Hometown Connection, etc.

Hope he does that again once in a while. Very yummy!!!!

AAIT, I don't think that Clay was doing that high note in DSIAFCD in falsetto. I think the reason that it was difficult for him to sing is that he was trying to sing it in full voice, and it's at the top of his full-voice range. In other words, he was trying to belt at the top of his range. He could very easily hit that note and higher notes in falsetto, but not with as much power. IMO that's why he was trying to belt it. But he sure can belt it out in full voice now!!

But which note are you talking about? The "OHHHHH" before the key change in the final chorus -- I totally agree with you. But then, in some performances, he'd do that high, falsetto "find" -- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. IMO, most times it did work -- I was just impressed as hell that he tried it!

OK, officially -- we're finished. But if y'all want to keep agreeing *g*, more power to ya!

Hey! I disagreed a little about the voice. Sorta.

Though I agree with liney on this:

I think that on AI, they sorta targeted songs in this mid to upper register for the "pop" songs. He has pretty much stayed there except for a few low notes now and then. When he and Q jammed, he went back to pre-AI range from what I remember from his pre-AI Hometown Connection, etc.

I have been totally addicted to he and Quiana singing Listen together at Sterling Heights. Toward the end of the song, he goes into a lower range I haven't heard since his demos and certainly hope to hear again.

Hope he does that again once in a while. Very yummy!!!!

Oh, but I think we do hear Clay's gorgeous lower range at the very beginning of AIW. I lurve it!!

And I agree that the popish songs after AI were in the mid to upper part of his range. That's the kind of thing you heard on the radio at that time, so that's what RCA gave him to sing on MOAM.

Tee hee! You disagreed nicely!!

Whatever/however it was, some of the time it just didn't sound 'right' to me and just wanted that note 'normal'! But that was just in 04. Now, rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :clap:

But which note are you talking about? The "OHHHHH" before the key change in the final chorus -- I totally agree with you. But then, in some performances, he'd do that high, falsetto "find" -- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. IMO, most times it did work -- I was just impressed as hell that he tried it!

OK, officially -- we're finished. But if y'all want to keep agreeing *g*, more power to ya!

Yes, I was talking about the 'find', and I was in the minority of not caring for it as much then, but he did nail it some of the times (have no idea the ratio and it doesn't matter a bit), but I was also impressed he was trying it! He's sure got it nailed now though, no question about that!

Hi All!

I think one thing that has evolved is his enunciation and pronunciation.

I think when he was younger he had more "Southern" pronunciation creeping into his singing. Maybe that's not voice, per se, but technique. He still has a Southern accent, but there is a more rounded sound on some vowels, where there used to be more flatness. (NOT pitch! He's very rarely off pitch!!) Like the 'uh' sound.

Also, he has let go of some over-enunciation and has a more natural pronunciation.

I agree with others who have said he has learned he can feather notes and not always power through them. He has let some romance come into his voice, IMO.

He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

heh

Edited by Cotton