CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

Hmmmm....I think the puppy thread has played itself out.

Therefore....

QUESTION THREE (and the final for the night....):

How do you feel about "shipping Clay?" Why do you feel that way?

Better, couchie?

Oh "shipping" is fn - as long as you don't take it seriously!!! I mean imagining him with the woman of the moment - be it Angela, Kelly, Tyra, Jaymes, Mary, Kristi, Yellow Sweater Girl, Bikini Girl or whoever is fun if you think of it as funny.

But when some start SERIOUSLY shiiping him - when some become CONVINVED he is really involved with so and so, when they start doing detective work to prove their point, when some start blogging about his secret girlfriend who is pregnant (and I am NOT making that up!!) and think you're nuts if you don't believe it - that's when it has gone too far.

I think of shipping as yet another snarky, fun activity. But what is really going on in the privacy of his own home and his own heart is none of my business unless he chooses to make it my business.

Well, first of all, I'm so sloooooooooooooow, that this is the principle reason this fandom takes more of my time than it should. When I finally get around to articulating some of my random thoughts, I spend ages trying to communicate what I am trying to say as well as I can. This is more of a curse than a blessing since I end up putting way too much stock in how/if others understand what I am trying to say, whether lightheartedly or seriously.

Case in point, I just finished a post on the main thread, finally hit send, and there was only one other person left on the thread with me. Sigh. :cryingwlaughter:

Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?

My fandom started out as being an alternate identity. I could either be "sick" or "Clay-type crazy". I much preferred the latter, and my family was in a state of pure bewilderment at what I would do next for about two or three years. Hee. It was fun to watch them, and even more fun to escape a role I wanted to shed for a bigger world along with some very special new friendships.

In the last year or so, with much improved health I have discovered I have nothing left to prove. I don't need a lot of Clay paraphenalia sitting around to remind my family that this fandom is a valued part of my life. I actually tried to "break up" with Clay this spring; we agreed we'd still be friends and I'd go to the occasional concert to hear him sing, and you know, just see him. Um, yeah. Somehow I ended up in Houston, thanks to Kareneh, and Dallas, and Tulsa. And then Asheville, and Knoxville cuz Airmiles screwed up my reservations to Texas so badly they gave all 5000 back.

It's really a toss up who I go to see now, my friends or Clay. It is really an unbeatable combination, but when it comes down to it, my friends do call back, and answer my emails etc etc. Their return investment in me has been a wonderful gift in my life and brought me welcome perspective and joy.

And yes, I do spend way too much time on this fandom. But it does depend on what kind of measuring stick I use.

What would you considered a "blowtorched puppy" -- in other words, what could Clay do that would make you stop being a fan?

My experience of Clay thus far has been a great one. I don't think the future could change or muddy that very pleasant past, or erase the wonderful times I have had because of them. I do the one day at a time thing. I believe Clay to be a fine human being. Still he doesn't owe me one thing. I hope that I will be able to have the pleasure of hearing him sing for a long long time, but that's not for me to dictate.

I don't know beans about the professional music business, but even if I did, Clay's life is his life. And like Gandhi said, roughly paraphrased, what kind of freedom is it, if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes? Undoubtedly Clay has/will made/make mistakes. It's the way we all learn where our direction lies. Doing it in the public spectrum takes enormous courage; I'll be cheering him on with an open mind.

Clay and I are strangers, and serious speculation/extrapolation is always a slippery slope to me, and not really what I consider entertaining in the sense that the media does.

If shipping means all in good fun, I think Clay has a pretty good sense of humor......... it's always more fun to laugh with people than at them.

If it implies judgement and meddling in more direct "Clay should or shouldn't do this or that" then just no.

It is simply none of my business.

:yahoo: This has been my very first chat.

OK shipping...as I understand it... it means you believe Clay and somebody are a couple and everything he does is made to fit that scenario. I just discovered that word as a Clay fan although I understand it's universal.

To me it's all good fun. The Clisty, the Clangela, the Cliana, the Clyra, Clelly... it's kinda fun to watch out there interacting with these ladies. And I like reading stories on the pairings I like..like Clangela and Clyra. But to me it's harmless if you understand it's just fantasy.

re: shipping

I love the shipping tales that I dream up. I can spend hiking for hours making up some fantastic story. Clay has had some hott sessions with the most amazing women. Though I would never really tell anybody about it.

Actually, I don't believe he's going to get married to a celebrity, aaand being married to Clay would be a challenge, that guy appears to be amazingly stubborn.

I'm not much into the shipping either. I'm sure Clay has a personal life but I don't feel I need to know about it. If and when he wants something known, it will be. I find some of the more serious shipping has such an air of desperation about it that it makes me feel very uncomfortable for him.

Gadz...I'm a real bore. Aren't I? Why'd you invite me to this party anyway?

:cryingwlaughter:

Edited by jamar1700

Shipping Clay?

I just can't get into it. I know why people do it. I'm not going to interfere. It just feels...oh... a bit intrusive to me, especially if he confirmed that there was someone in his life.

The fan fic, with people like Tyra or Kelly, doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people try to ferret out the personal details of people in his inner circle, or worse, when they start making judgements about women on the assumption that Clay's involved with them.

I don't mind fantasy shipping, but seriously shipping Clay with other real non-celebrity people squicks me out. I think that his friends and family deserve their privacy and their being nice to Clay and Clay likeing them should not negatively impact their lives - like, say Jaymes or how invasive it was with Amber

Or word to Jennaz

Edited by playbiller

I think the key, as wandacleo alluded to, is "lighthearted" shipping. I love thinking that Clay is "gettin' some" and that there's some person in his life that is making him happy. But...and I'm having a hard time wording this....I feel that some have to simply have Clay being with a woman just avoid "the rumors."

QUESTION THREE (and the final for the night....):

First, I'l like to thank Clay for my education, this is another term I had never heard until I got on the Clay message boards.

I don't mind it, it can be fun speculating. Actually, I hope he's in a "ship" with someone. He seems pretty happy lately.

Totally forgot about the Chat...so I'll just jump in here at the last minute...shipping...I don't mind it; probably have done some of it...but as long as people don't get carried away with it, I am okay.

Kim

Shipping -

But when some start SERIOUSLY shiiping him - when some become CONVINCED he is really involved with so and so, when they start doing detective work to prove their point, when some start blogging about his secret girlfriend who is pregnant (and I am NOT making that up!!) and think you're nuts if you don't believe it - that's when it has gone too far.

I think of shipping as yet another snarky, fun activity. But what is really going on in the privacy of his own home and his own heart is none of my business unless he chooses to make it my business.

WORD! Couldn't have said it better than CG! (and I know you're not making that up)

Edited by PuddinsJoy

But when some start SERIOUSLY shiiping him - when some become CONVINVED he is really involved with so and so, when they start doing detective work to prove their point, when some start blogging about his secret girlfriend who is pregnant (and I am NOT making that up!!) and think you're nuts if you don't believe it - that's when it has gone too far.

Hmmmmm heee I missed this one. heh.

The fan fic, with people like Tyra or Kelly, doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people try to ferret out the personal details of people in his inner circle, or worse, when they start making judgements about women on the assumption that Clay's involved with them.

Oh God, yes, that's it!

While sometimes it is fun to speculate about whether Clay is dating a certain someone, most of the time I am not into "shipping Clay" at all. First, I don't have the time to do so, and second, it just feels somewhat intrusive to me. It doesn't bother me that others "ship" a lot, I enjoy reading a little of it. I just so want Clay to find his special someone and live happily ever after. I just want him to be loved, to give love, to get love, to feel love, as he's one of the most special people on the face of this earth to me and I feel he is so deserving of love. I'm so thankful to God everyday for bringing him to us to love, and so grateful that it seems he can feel the love we send to him. I think most of the time the "shipping" is done in fun, but I so support Clay having his own time to himself however he wants to spend it when not being "public" Clay. But you can bet as soon as we learn of a sighting or visit that was, I'm right there reading the report and appreciating evey moment of it!

I just want our man happy and loved. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Shipping Clay?

I just can't get into it. I know why people do it. I'm not going to interfere. It just feels...oh... a bit intrusive to me, especially if he confirmed that there was someone in his life.

A big fat WORD to that!!!

I'm not much into the shipping either. I'm sure Clay has a personal life but I don't feel I need to know about it. If and when he wants something known, it will be. I find some of the more serious shipping has such an air of desperation about it that it makes me feel very uncomfortable for him.

Gadz...I'm a real bore. Aren't I? Why'd you invite me to this party anyway?

:cryingwlaughter:

No, you're not.

And that's exactly how I feel.

Otherwise, I don't care. Unless it's about Jamie. That grosses me out. She's his family.

And Twin, I read about that freaky girlfriend who's pregnant shit too. LOL! The Internets are wild, yo!

Shipping Clay?

Me too Jenna..to be honest... other than the biggies like Quiana and Angela I don't know much about his friends. Can't remember the dancers names from JNT05. Dont' know what Nick is up to. None of this stuff intersts me. Just Clay.

Hmmmmm heee I missed this one. heh.

Me too! Obviously I don't spend enough time on the boards... see it's NOT a obsession!!! :cryingwlaughter:

You know, this isn't a bad way to bump up that post count... heh. I may talk more tomorrow! Be afraid, be very afraid! :imgtongue:

Edited by spikesmom

I feel that some have to simply have Clay being with a woman just avoid "the rumors."

WORD! I sense that some are trying too hard to prove that he has a girlfriend. They seem invested in the idea that he must be seeing someone, so they find relationships with any female who happens to be within a 30 mile radius.

However, if he were with someone, I would actually hope that he could keep it a secret for a while, because the fans would be brutal. As much as people want him to happy, I think jealousy would make it very hard on whoever he was with, no matter how perfect she might be.