Idol Rewind - season 2

Couch Tomato

I just watched.

My choice for worst wardrobe choice was Bettis. He looked like the Riddler. And his hair looks so much better now that it's uber short. You can tell on AI that his hairline was receding and he was "compensating." I thought his song choice was also unfortunate. Too hard to do a song written for 4 voices and get the full effect.

I always liked Trenyce, thought she had that extra something that Tamara didn't. As gaga as the judges were over Tamara I figured they'd really get behind her but they never seemed to beyond her initial audition.

I really liked Julia's hair down like it was for the results show. In no way did I think she performed better than either Trenyce or Kimberlee.

J.D. WTF was that song? And why would he think that was a good choice?

Charles just has a sparkle and radiates warmth. J.D. is just the opposite, aloof and cold.

I remember being pleasantly surprised that Charles got through and being disappointed that Trenyce did not.

The first two groups were really stacked. 7 of the final 12?

Watching this now, seeing the dynamics & knowing how it turned out, is really strange for me. I didn't watch until the WC show when it was on originally. Liked Trenyce & Charles.

They sure seemed to be pushing JD Adams, at least before he sang that night. And Simon saying he's good looking? Man, I don't think so.

I used to really like Julia but this whole spat with Kimberly thing makes me see her in a whole new light. I always thought Charles was just ok, but I'm really liking his personality. I found it interesting to see all the others who never made the top 10.

Eeee! Clay's narration is so cute!

Ryan looks so slouchy! And his hair is so dated! I bet Simon missed the hell our of the seventies....

Brett looks about 12.

Clay makes Ryan look teeny. Clay's hair looks like a fucking porcupine. With cheap highlights. Dude, I hate to tell you but I hate your "style". Man, Clay shows the difference between cheap and expensive suits...

Clay can sing. It cannot be denied. But man, he singing Open Arms to show that he can sing (Randy, shut the fuck up about Journey 'cause you didn't have shit to do with Open Arms//Ptui!) but Steve Perry kicks ass on this, and Clay ain't feelin' it, and neither am I. And I love how Clay picked up on the fact he had a "schtick" - weird looking kid who can sing. What a shock, Clay says he's gonna do what he wants to do. A little pimping to Clay, "Clay has set the standard".

Candice has a good line - Lord she started way to deep. And the song is way too old for her. Total karoake performance. Hate the outfit. She was OK. Except she was a little whiny at the end. And a little funny.

Rebecca dresses way old. Sings way old. Sings way too off. And Simon's right, she is very caberet - small jazz club. She's clearly been doing this for years. Too much green eye shadow, with no subtlety at all. And if she thinks she sounds like Aretha, she's delusional. Aretha would have done a pop number like Pink Cadillac. Chick, you should have shown the versatility now.

Jacob John. Hate the bi-colored fro. Dude, that was way worse than a rough moment - that was a total bomb. But not as big a bomb as this performance. Man, this SUCKS! And he makes following the camera too totally obvious. Just ewwwwwwwwwwwww. His outfit wasn't dreadful though.

Simon is right - they all needed to raise their game. The choices and performances up until this point are a little too safe.

Hadas is pretty, and she does look like Sandra Bullock. Horrible song choice but she's the second best singer after Clay. A nice change up just before the end. Simon is right, the talent level is higher in general than AI1, but they could do better.

Ruben shows a fair amount of personality and is just sweet. Man, he is switching the mike a lot - not quite hot potatoing it though. And frankly he's the best so far - best song choice, he seriously performed it. I bet he really did listening to what the judges said...and I think it was a real disadvantage for Clay to go first. I think he would have put more into the song after seeing how safe everybody was going for it. Ruben was easily just charming, and interacting well with Simon. Ruben looks much more mature now.

Kimberley - and the powers that be clearly were pounding on her for the "talent over image" from the get go. And that would have been working my nerves. The comments, "I got put in the fat girl category. Black, black, black." says so very much. Unfortunary top, chick. Really, unfortunate top. But not as bad as the pants. Man, that whole outfit was the worst thing up that. But she sang the fuck out of Over the Rainbow. And everybody wasn't sick of it yet. I admit, I found the whole exchange between Kim and Simon entertaining - they both held their own and neither got pissed. I lthink Kim's new hair and eyebrow color suits her, but missed the natural Kim a little.

Jennifer - I had completely forgot about her! She looks like a curly haired Julia to me! Her shoes were horrible - put on some heels chick! I can't believe she picked "I Want To Dance With Somebody" with nothing but a piano to accompany her - horrible song choice. Don't do Whitney if you can't seriously do Whitney. She was blah. Blah, blah, blah. Simon is horrible, but Jennifer had the luck of a dreadful draw, following Ruben and Kim.

Results: I don't think Clay was physically capable of getting through AI without touching some women. Some pretty woman. Oh man, Kimberley! Satin pants? With serious panty lines. Just no. No. Maybe Clay likes panty lines.

I can't argue with the group voting. Yay for the wildcard! Ruben's little commentary tickled the shit out of me. And the squishing of Ryan was funny.

Oh yeah. He definitely hates country. Around here she is played on AC stations. Every person who has chosen to sing a song of hers, he disses the song choice. No matter what season it is. :cryingwlaughter: Clay did a good job on one of her songs on tour. The name escapes me right now.

I remember the song now. Silly me. Hee! It was "I Can't Make You Love Me If You Won't."

Funny, but I have forgotten a lot of AI2 people. I remember a few times when Clay's hair has looked like the Statue of Liberty spikes. :cryingwlaughter:

Hee Kandre. Very nice.

Worst wardrobe choice....hands down Candace. Looks like she shopped at the Ryan Starr Boutique.

Worst song choice...Jacob. And what the heck was with the shakey hands? Was that for effect or nerves?

Worst hair...Kim. What was she thinking w/that forehead? Worse than her outfit. Just. Not. Good. [tm CHA]

Awww. Faye looked so relieved when he made it to the top 3. Since I didn't see the Audition Rounds this was the first time I "met" him. I remember thinking he was good and cute (but skeeeeeeny) and that he'd probably be back for the Wildcard round.

Ruben's little commentary tickled the shit out of me.

Oh yeah. That was cute.

I loved when Clay said "schtick" complete with the little hand quotes. :wub:

Simon clearly thinks Bonnie is country! And we know Simon hates country!

But he picked Carmen Rasmussen*, and he predicted (correctly) that Carrie Underwood would win! Both are more than a little bit country!

*KAndre, thanks to the Clack-Pack you put together for me, I have only just found out (10 minutes ago) that Carmen was Simon's Judge's Choice! I was so surprised!

OK, so I just watched the Wildcard show for the first time.... I have previously only seen Clay's individual performance but not within the context of the other performances, and WOW he was such a stand-out, surely everyone must have guessed that when the Judges did not pick him as their choice to advance to the Top 12, that he was clearly the viewer's choice.

Here's the part I am a bit confused about.... after he was announced the viewer's choice, I expected to see Ryan Seacrest call out the other finalists, one by one, and they run to hug Clay, one at a time... at least that is the vid I have seen on You Tube. Instead, they show each one come out and just stand in a line up. What the? I guess they had more than one intro.

QUESTION: They keep mentioning "TOP 10". WHY do they do that when it is relly "TOP 12"?

Watching the first show of the series, i.e. Motown night, which I LOVE, I am Motown's biggest fan! (Amongst other things, I have read the biographies of Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Berry Gordy, Michael Jackson etc etc)

Just saw Kim C perform, and I really think she has a great tone to her vocals. Why do I have the impression that some people in this forum don't like her?

Also love Ricky's voice.

I am enjoying the REWIND series so much... it is wonderful to see the perform after knowing all their names, and then to see their personal comments and seeing how they look today. Gosh some of them (the women) really look so different now.

Just saw Kim C perform, and I really think she has a great tone to her vocals. Why do I have the impression that some people in this forum don't like her?

Even before I found the AI boards, KimC annoyed me because she is always doing something to grab attention. She seems ridiculously self-absorbed.

Why do I have the impression that some people in this forum don't like her?

Maybe because some don't? Fact is, I didn't like KimC the first time I saw her on a reality singing competition. She was also an also ran on PopStars the season before. As was Corey Clark IIRC. They both struck me as the "just tell me who I have to be to win" type. They weren't ever themselves. Professional auditioners as it were.

OK, so I just watched the Wildcard show for the first time.... I have previously only seen Clay's individual performance but not within the context of the other performances, and WOW he was such a stand-out, surely everyone must have guessed that when the Judges did not pick him as their choice to advance to the Top 12, that he was clearly the viewer's choice.

Here's the part I am a bit confused about.... after he was announced the viewer's choice, I expected to see Ryan Seacrest call out the other finalists, one by one, and they run to hug Clay, one at a time... at least that is the vid I have seen on You Tube. Instead, they show each one come out and just stand in a line up. What the? I guess they had more than one intro.

QUESTION: They keep mentioning "TOP 10". WHY do they do that when it is relly "TOP 12"?

I was pretty sure he was the Viewer's Choice. Ryan made a show of letting the judges see the card that he had the name written on, and I figured the judges were not allowed to pick him because the viewers did. I never doubted he would make it.

There were two different endings--good eye. There was an east coast version and a west coast version. I think Ryan forgot to introduce Carmen in one of them??

I think the Top 10/Top 12 thing came about because they changed their plans and added two more people - not sure.....

Why do I have the impression that some people in this forum don't like her?

Maybe because some don't? Fact is, I didn't like KimC the first time I saw her on a reality singing competition. She was also an also ran on PopStars the season before. As was Corey Clark IIRC. They both struck me as the "just tell me who I have to be to win" type. They weren't ever themselves. Professional auditioners as it were.

OK, I thought her voice was good though...and as for Corey Clark (what's IIRC?) ... I think he's a pretty troubled guy. Unlike almost anyone else, I am watching his early Idol performances for the first time KNOWING what happened later, and while I find Pawler Abbadabbbadoodle annoying at times, I think what he did to her was reprehensible. So I'd have to agree with you there, and I think he'd even compromise his own mother if it meant getting what HE wanted.

ee, you are only seeing what the left of Kim today. There is a lot left on the cutting room floor, like her constant need to be front and center, no matter how many short people she stood in front of....There is the infamous tug video where Charles was eliminated and was doing his elimination song and kim decided to dance woth him, on his last appearance on the show where all the others were standing around him. Noooo, standing was not for Kim, she had to be the center of attraction, so at one point, Clay grabbed her from the circle and hugged her to him and basically eld her against her will. She kept trying to get away and dance again. I will load it out to You tube and put it here. Wouldn't want you to miss that..

From Wikipedia:

"In an interview prior to the start of the fifth season of American Idol, Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe revealed for the first time that Aiken had led the fan voting every week from the Wild Card week to the finale, when the possibly-random voting result gave Studdard the win"

Is this true?

I quoted this to someone when I first read it, but no one takes Wikipedia seriously, so I would love some confirmation.

I also recall reading somewhere that Clay got something like 75% or 80% of the Wildcard vote from the viewers. Is this true? I mean, it is totally believable because he stood so far out in performance but that is a heck of a score under any circumstances!!

Well, I have just finished watching AI2, the Final AND the Grand Finale.

Wow, it was so much better than AI3 which I watched from beginning to end ...at the same time as everyone else.

Although I had seen all Clay's performances either on YourTube or via downloads from Clack Unlimited, they were even more enjoyable seen in their proper sequence. I used to get confused with Clay's two performances of BOTW. Anyway, it may be 5 years old but it still holds a lot of magic, and I was really transported back and completely forgot it's all old stuff. I didn't like the ending much ... ONLY KIDDING! Sure I would have prefered Clay to have won but I can't imagine anyone not liking Ruben, he's just adorable. I'm not sure I would be this happy for Ruben if I'd been watching back then though!

I like KLo's natural hair (I am so envious of people with curly hair) but must say her straightened hair really suited her.

KAndre, thanks also for including the 2003 Christmas show... I really enjoyed it, and right at the end, when Clay was holding that lucky little girl from American Juniors and he was smiling at her, he suddenly looked like a young Danny Kaye!

Anyway, I've never watched so many videos in one weekend, especially during warm weather. I know I'll be watching it all again in a couple of months.

I haven't watched the tour videos, that will be next weekend... but I was wondering, was Vanessa included in the tour? I know that Charles was, but wasn't that because Josh wasn't available due to Marine duty? I really hate the way they made it the top 12 but only take the Top 10 on tour -I remember that Leah Labelle was utterly devastated when she (the first eliminated) wasn't included in the AI#3 tour. I know it's all about the money but I can't justify leaving out 2 people who had shared the journey with the other 10.

Anyway, it's back to normal life again, at least for a few more days....