Photoshop Techniques

OK.

My creditials: I've had photoshop for over 10 years and am still learning things on it! Most of you have seen my web site. (if you haven't, it's claymatized.com) :RedGuy:

I don't claim to be an expert! But I know how to make stuff.

I'll need a little input to know where to start!!

Questions please??

We could start with something easy - like:

snowflake-lighting.jpg

ooops - sorry merriieeeee!!! You don't have to use that photo!!

here's a gallery of a lot of my wallpapers to inspire you!

::waits patiently for questions::

1) Does it matter if we have Photoshop Elements rather than full-blown Photoshop?

2) I know how to crop pictures; I know how to resize pictures. But what I don't know is how to get more than one picture into these wallpapers! I know it has to do with layers, but that confuses me every.single.time.

Thanks cha cha!

I know how to crop and put text in in other programs but not in PS. I have tried but even the simplest thing just gets me so I go back to Paint etc.

Oh I'll forgive you if I could just learn to do that with some other picture*g*

Edited by merrieeee

ldyj - I am not familiar with Photoshop Elements. Hopefully some things are the same. If it has teh ability to make layers then we're in!! :RedGuy: If it has a properties window for the photo you are working on, look to the bottom and find a little square icon with the corner folded up. When you click that a new layer should appear in the list. I'll try to get more specific as we go along. That layer has to be selected for you to paste or write on that layer.

cindi - PS and PSP are very similar. I have both, but use PS almost exclusively.

merriieeee - I used a lot of tutorials and had to follow them painstakingly slowly to get what they are taking about! Don't be afraid to ask questions about where stuff is or about anything you don't understand.

I am writing a step-by-step tutorial on making a banner like the snowflake one above. It'll be done today sometime!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Mouses ready?? Let's begin!

fruit.gif

Hey Chacha...cool thread

I can help too. I don't do much anymore but I have loved photoshop for a long time.

LdyJ...I find that most of these programs that work on bitmaps would use similar terms on their programs. Sometimes the difference is the flexibility of the program and where you can find certain tools. But usually I can use programs immediately like fireworks and other photo editors.

I usually get in trouble when the program uses vectors like freehand and illustrator...they use different terms and use different principles in manipulating images.

I want PSP...I am trying to download a copy...I find it has great plug ins...

LdyJ ...when working with layers just imagine that you are working on paper. if you want to put pictures together they work as layers...when you work on one picture on one layer the other layers are not affected. so if you want to change a certain element make sure you are in that particular layer. this is the best feature of programs like photoshop IMO. I still remember working on a photoshop version that didn't have layering.

Eeeeh, I'm happy to see this thread...but you may be sorry, I probably have some of the dumbest questions ev-ah! :RedGuy: I'm not a dumbie, but just have never been able to figure these programs out. So here goes:

1. I'd LOVE a suggestion for a PS software that works with dual processors, and that is reasonably easy to use. PSP does not (just about destroyed my computer completely getting it off!)

2. I'd love to know how to tag pictures! I currently have Paint, and the photo-editing program that comes with XP (sorry, I'm not at home right now and I can't remember what it's called!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I know how to crop and put text in in other programs but not in PS. I have tried but even the simplest thing just gets me so I go back to Paint etc.

Oh I'll forgive you if I could just learn to do that with some other picture*g*

I really think that people are just a bit intimidated by PS but it really is pretty easy to use. I find most of thes photo editors do things in a similar way. Crop ing is pretty straight forward...just click on the crop too in the tool bar in the left side of the work table and the same dotted lines with the drag handles will appear on your image and just drag them till you get the desired size. You can even move the whole crop area all around.

Text is very similar. Just click on the text tool which is usually the A in the side and the text cursor will appear. It will also automatically create a new layer so you don;t need to be afraid that you will ruin your picture. Then on top of the work area you should see the choices for font, size color etc...and you can type in what text you want to say.

Eeeeh, I'm happy to see this thread...but you may be sorry, I probably have some of the dumbest questions ev-ah! :RedGuy: I'm not a dumbie, but just have never been able to figure these programs out. So here goes:

1. I'd LOVE a suggestion for a PS software that works with dual processors, and that is reasonably easy to use. PSP does not (just about destroyed my computer completely getting it off!)

2. I'd love to know how to tag pictures! I currently have Paint, and the photo-editing program that comes with XP (sorry, I'm not at home right now and I can't remember what it's called!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I know we talked about this before Claygary, but it mystifies me that you had trouble with PSP with your dual processor. I have had PSP 9, X and XI on my laptop (also dual core) and have had no problems at all.

OK - it's almost ready to post!! I need to make some illustrations.

Here's an overview of what we'll be doing.

Choose 3 photos to make a collage.

Copy and paste into a new file with a colored background.

Tag or caption with textured text.

Save in photoshop format and also for the web.

READY??? nodding.gif

Edited by cha cha trusty

SNOWFLAKE-sm.jpg

smaller example of what we are trying to acheive. YMMV!!!

Tutorial for Snowflake Collage

This is going to look complicated when you first look at it!! Please don't be discouraged! I have tried to be as explicit as possible so you can follow easily. Go through each step slowly and save your work frequently.

If you do something you don't like, go to Edit>Undo and undo it. If you go to File>Save As it will save your work in .psd format, preserving all the layers, so you can come back and work on it again later, (even if you have to close the program), and change whatever you want to if you don't like the way it turns out. Reading all the way through before you start might be a good idea!!

PART ONE:

1. First - you need to select the photos you want to use for the collage.

You'll want them to be the same approximate size, and resolution.

2. To check resolution on each photo, open in photoshop and click the image menu and then "image size" (menu>image size). The resolution is listed in the properties window, along with the size of the photo in pixels.

3. The snowflake collage is 900x500 pixels, and 72 resolution. If you want a wallpaper-sized collage, the sizes are 1024x768 pixels for regular, and 1440x900 for widescreen.

(72 resolution is optimal for web posting since it makes the images load faster.)

4. Open a new document: File>New (or ctrl n)

Chose the size in pixels, and check Transparent under Contents for the background.

Tool panel:

toolbox.jpg

5. Now fill in the background. I like to use a color from the photo I am using. To do that, click on the dropper in the Tools panel. Move the cursor over to the photo and find a color you like and click on it. You can click and move until you find a color you like. You'll notice the color you select appears in color selector (the small window at the bottom of the tools panel).

6. Now go to the paint bucket in the tools panel and select. Move the cursor to your new file, and click. The background should fill in with the color you selected. You can change this later if you want, as many times as you want!

(con't)

Edited by cha cha trusty

tutorial con't

PART TWO:

7. Now select one of the photos you'll use. (by clicking on it so it is in the front) Go to the marquis tool, and hold the mouse down on it so that other selections appear on the right. Select the eliptical (circle) tool.

8. Go to the top horizontal bar at the top of your screen and enter '5' in the feather box. Now you're ready to start your collage. (you can experiment with a larger feather size if you want to. Remember you can always "undo".)

9. Using the eliptical marquis tool, select the portion of your photo you want to appear in the collage. If you miss the first time, click outside the outline, on the face of the photo to deselect and try again until you are satisfied. (we always keep trying, don't we?)

10. Copy the selection by going to Edit>Copy (or ctrl c)

11. Select your new file, the one you filled in the background with your chosen color. Paste the oval onto the file. (You'll notice you have created a new layer if you look at the layers properties box.)

12. Now select the Move tool and click and drag the pasted oval into the postion you want it.

13. Repeat this with the other photos, using the move tool on each layer to move into position. In the layers properties window you'll see a miniature version of each layer to help you identify which one you are working on. (If it is not displayed, go to the Window menu and click the layers option. It should appear on your right.) Minimize the photos you've copied so they'll be out of the way.

About the layers properties box: A new layer will be created for you whenever you paste something new into the file. To work with that layer, make sure it is highlighted in the layers properties box. Here is what the layers properties box looks like for my snowflake collage - the text layer is highlighted:

layers.jpg

ANOTHER NOTE ABOUT THE LAYERS PROPERTIES BOX: You'll notice there is a layer at the bottom (layer 1) which has no "eye" icon next to it. This layer is turned off so you can't see it. I pasted a photo there and decided I didn't like it so pasted another one into that position. Then I clicked the "eye" icon so you can't see it. You can use the on-off feature however you want to create different versions on the same file.

Edited by cha cha trusty

tutorial con't

NOTE: Sometimes you need things to be larger to see them properly, especially when working with text. Use the magnifying glass tool (or ctrl +) to make the section you want to appear bigger. Notice the top of the file shows you what percentage of real size you are viewing. Use ctrl - (ctrl dash) to reduce the size.

PART THREE:

14. Tagging and captions: Click on the Text tool and then on the new file. You'll notice another layer appears in the layers properties box. You'll also notice that a blinking cursor appears on the new file where you clicked. Type whatever you want to appear on the photo collage. You'll see that if you move the cursor away from the text you typed, it turns into a move tool. Use this to position your text by click and drag.

Use Select>All to change the size or font of your text. (see options in the horizontal toolbar at the top of the program) Use the Color Selector (or the box in the top tool bar) to change the color.

If you want another caption to appear in a different location, create another layer to type it on. The new layer button is at the bottom of the layer proerties box, it looks like a small square with the corner turned up.

15. Giving the text "texture": Right-click on the text layer in the layers properties box, and select "Blending Options". A box will appear with all kinds of Options on the left and the properties of each option on the right. Move the box so you can see the text you are changing. (you might have to close the Blending Options box and move the photo, and reopen.)

layers.jpg

16. You can see in the layers properties box for this collage that I used Drop Shadow, Pattern Overlay and Stroke.

Drop shadow is pretty straightforward. Click on it to see the effect on your text.

Pattern Overlay means a pattern will appear in the text. This one is "Bubbles." You'll notice if you move the text the pattern remains in the same position.

Stroke means a line will appear around the letters. The default on my program seems to be red, but I usually change it to another color - change to whatever you want. Click on the color chooser and pick whatever color you like. I usually change the Size of the Stroke (at the top of the properties) to 1 pixel.

About the Blending Options properties box: Each option has its own set of properties. If you only click the check box, you won't see the options. Click elsewhere in the selection (i.e. stroke) to see the properties options. Use the sliders in each options properties box to experiment with the results of your selections.

PART FOUR:

17. Time to SAVE!!! Go to File>Save As and select. Name and save in the .psd format. Make sure you choose a location you can find later!! (I usually make a new folder for each project.) Now go back to File>Save For The Web and select. In the dropdown menu below "Done" experiment with the jpeg options and the gif options. I usually choose JPEG Medium, unless I like the result better from one of the other selections.

Please post your results and any questions you have along the way. I have tried to cover everything, but I probably forgot something!!

And as I sit here, laundry undone, dishes unwashed....... I hope you enjoy this tutorial!! We can experiment with other stuff later when I see your results!!

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: When you close the original photos you worked with, you'll be asked if you want to save the changes. Be sure and say NO! If you do want to "save the changes" make sure you rename the file so you will preserve the original photo.

HAPPY PHOTOSHOPPING!!

I can't wait to see the results! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Later we'll decide what to learn next. Any suggestions?

Here's a WORD DOC of the whole tutorial#1. Please save to your hard drive.

Edited by cha cha trusty

I know we talked about this before Claygary, but it mystifies me that you had trouble with PSP with your dual processor. I have had PSP 9, X and XI on my laptop (also dual core) and have had no problems at all.

I don't know why it would work with yours and not with mine either, Cindi. Short version of what happened: I installed the software (PSP X); the install crapped out. When I went online to investigate WTH, the "fix" stated that there was a problem with PSP X and dual-core processors, and that I had to DL a new set of video drivers. I was finally able to DL the new set of drivers (after many problems doing that, their directions were completely wrong); nothing changed. The install had completed to the point where anytime I tried to open a picture, it tried to open with PSP but couldn't, for the obvious reason...and completely froze up the computer. I couldn't UNinstall it because it hadn't installed to the point where the OS "saw" it...and so there was nothing there to uninstall as far as it was concerned.

I ended up having to do a complete system restore; thank Gawd for recovery disks.

Never~ever~having anything to do with PSP again. $169 down the tubes. I had had the software for about 3 months before my (old) computer got fried by a power surge and I purchased the new dual-core one.

post-603-1190427151_thumb.jpg

Well I did this before you pasted yours so this is mine, Please let me know if i should try again

GOOD JOB!!! You obviously have a lot of the basics down!

I like softer edges - YMMV!! Looks like you have the layering down. With the hard edges I would line up the images a little closer so the background didn't show through the middle tho.

Otherwise - keep up the good work!!!

Edited by cha cha trusty

post-603-1190427151_thumb.jpg

I love this.. Thanks for the tutorial.. Alicia[

Alicia - You changed your image!! It threw me!!!

I like this too - GOOD JOB!

FromClaygary - I have no idea about anything to do with dual cores -- sorry!! I don't think Photoshop would be problematic but maybe you should check out their website and see if anything is posted about it.

Edited by cha cha trusty

Thanks trusty.. I have done some psp .. I took some classes on yahoo. But it is great leaning new things from some else.. certainly you have brains.. Mine go to sleep sometimes :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I change the picture because i wanted to follow yours and yes i will work on it more..

Much apprecated.. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Edited by Alicia4clay

I love photoshopping my pics! I'm thrilled about this thread. It will be awhile before I have time to make a wallpaper with different pics, but I'll definitely come back to try out your tutorial. I skimmed through it, and you did an awesome job!