Photoshop Techniques

omg! I love you!! lol I have been wondering how on earth to do that texture to text!! thank you soooooooooooo much! eeeeeeeee im gonna have some fun!! and I never used the circle thing either..that was fun! wow makes it so much easier. I followed the steps and I think it turned out pretty good!

whats next teach!!

lol

omg! I love you!! lol I have been wondering how on earth to do that texture to text!! thank you soooooooooooo much! eeeeeeeee im gonna have some fun!! and I never used the circle thing either..that was fun! wow makes it so much easier. I followed the steps and I think it turned out pretty good!

whats next teach!!

lol

Aww geeeee - thanks!!!

Can we see what you did??

What else would you like to learn??

Maybe pick a wallpaper you like and I'll tell you how I did it?

Well I made a pick saved it in my Adobe PS but can't figure out how to post it.

Oh and I don't have a paint bucket! I clicked on something and it made it gradient. I have 7.0 does that make a difference?

Save it as a jpeg then you can post it.

Hi cha cha, I'm hoping you can help me...

Last fall I took a photo of my grandchildren and removed the color...and did something...lol...to make it appear very close to a coloring book page. (there is not the sharp delineation of coloring book. The lines in my work are sketchier.

Here's my problem...I can't remember how I did it. (sucks getting old, eh?) Any thoughts?

If I had a scanner, I could show you *sigh*

Hi cha cha, I'm hoping you can help me...

Last fall I took a photo of my grandchildren and removed the color...and did something...lol...to make it appear very close to a coloring book page. (there is not the sharp delineation of coloring book. The lines in my work are sketchier.

Here's my problem...I can't remember how I did it. (sucks getting old, eh?) Any thoughts?

If I had a scanner, I could show you *sigh*

I'm not chachaa but did you use the filters to do this? I think I did something like this using photocopy filter. in combination with other filters.

I'm not chachaa but did you use the filters to do this? I think I did something like this using photocopy filter. in combination with other filters.

Thanks ansa...You know, I thought it was with the filters, but when I tried to duplicate it, I couldn't.

I thought maybe I used the 'adjust images' also, but never thought about using more than one filter...hummm. Back to experimenting.

I'm trying to create a personal coloring book for my son. He'll be 35 next month. :cryingwlaughter: He discovered he enjoyed coloring when he started playing with my granddaughter. We all tease him about it now, but I wanted to make him something special.

Well I made a pick saved it in my Adobe PS but can't figure out how to post it.

Oh and I don't have a paint bucket! I clicked on something and it made it gradient. I have 7.0 does that make a difference?

merriieee - click and hold the cursor on the gradient box, and you will see the little menu pop up to the right that has the paint bucket in it. Just move to that and let go and you'll have your paint bucket back.

Do you have a photobucket account? You'll need some web hosting service in order to post it. :RedGuy:

If that's not the problem, then go to Step 17 in Part Four of the tutorial to save as a jpg.

Hope this helps!

Thanks ansa...You know, I thought it was with the filters, but when I tried to duplicate it, I couldn't.

I thought maybe I used the 'adjust images' also, but never thought about using more than one filter...hummm. Back to experimenting.

I'm trying to create a personal coloring book for my son. He'll be 35 next month. :cryingwlaughter: He discovered he enjoyed coloring when he started playing with my granddaughter. We all tease him about it now, but I wanted to make him something special.

That is such a great idea!!! I looked up a tutorial for making coloring book images, and I can upon this tutorial. PHOTO-TO-SKETCH TUTORIAL

Here's the photo I started with:

gahhhhh.jpg

Here is what I made with it:

gahhhhh2.jpg

Is that the kind of effect you are looking for?

This tutorial is pretty straightforward, but if you have any questions, just ask.

Either myself or Ansa will know the answer!! Thanks Ansa!

:imgtongue:

:F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yes! That's it! Thank you so much!!

As I was reading and got to step 5., it says not to panic because all the color is now gone from your photo. I remember doing that exact thing with my grand children's picture last year. Now I'm left to wonder how in the heck I stumbled on all those steps by myself. :cryingwlaughter:

:F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yes! That's it! Thank you so much!!

As I was reading and got to step 5., it says not to panic because all the color is now gone from your photo. I remember doing that exact thing with my grand children's picture last year. Now I'm left to wonder how in the heck I stumbled on all those steps by myself. :cryingwlaughter:

I know I never would have!! That's what's so great about this - we can all learn together! You taught us all something today! THANKS!

:clap:

eta: do you have any idea what Gaussian means??? (I suppose I could look it up!) but... :XmasRed:

Edited by cha cha trusty

Gaussian is one of the 'blur' filters. Here's an un-photoshopped pic:

meganmullallyshow20061102-06-1.jpg

Here's the pic with just a little bit of Gaussian blur:

meganmullallyshow20061102-06gaussia.jpg

And here's another filter I kinda like, called poster edges:

meganmullallyshow20061102-06gaussia.post

I've mostly used photoshop to enhance pictures I've taken in the Colorado mountains. I crop them, play with the color, sometimes sharpen them, and put the date on them. Here are a couple of my favorites:

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

We make a calendar with pictures of our daughters for Grandparents every year. Since the pics are blown up to an 8 X 10 size and show every flaw, I photoshop the calendar pics, too. In the pic below, I enhanced the color, took out acne blemishes, and added a tiny bit of gaussian blur. When I took this picture, I didn't realize that our ADT (security) sign was in the picture. So I copied some of the Aspen leaves and carefully pasted them on top of the sign, so that the pic would be prettier. Turned out kinda nice, even if I say so myself!

IMG_0579.jpg

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning different wallpaper techniques. This is a cool thread!

Edited by Gibby

eta: do you have any idea what Gaussian means??? (I suppose I could look it up!) but... :XmasRed:

...first of all, I blame all this on YSRN. She's the one who taught me how to use Photoshop in the first place. She said, 'the best way to learn is to just try things and see what happens.' She failed to tell me that I would have to remember the steps of how I got to somewhere I really liked. :P:cryingwlaughter:

I know Gaussian refers to a mathematical equation and I think it has something to do with 'waves'...I think I used it in geology once eons ago.

...or what Gibby said!...(pretty pictures Gibby!)

here are some Clay Aiken coloring pages. :RedGuy:

I was experimenting with dark backgrounds for the first one.

I wonder who will color in the jeans first.

(nice to know that we have so many options when it comes to hair color, isn't it? lol)

ClayAiken-Houston-7-6-07-coloringpa.jpg

fivegoldensWPB1coloringpage.jpg

Edited by laughn

The thing to remember with PS ...there are several levels of undo and a revert...so that you can go ahead and experiment with all kinds of filters and image adjustments and you can always get your file back the way it was if you do not save.

Thats why I think you ended up using Photocopy filter cos you can get this...

post-2-1190494959_thumb.jpg

in two steps...photocopy and desaturate...

Now I need to try this too ansa...thank you!

eta....you know, I gave it a try ansa, and I couldn't get it to work. I kept getting a totally black image.

Are there any settings I'm missing?

Edited by laughn

eta....you know, I gave it a try ansa, and I couldn't get it to work. I kept getting a totally black image.

laughn do you have the filter gallery?

cos it will let you see what it looks like with all the settings. I am using photoshop CS BTW...that is not the latest but it has filter gallery that lets you combine the filters and control the settings. When I use it I am able to control the level of detail and dark and light contrast.

what picture are you using?

laughn do you have the filter gallery?

cos it will let you see what it looks like with all the settings. I am using photoshop CS BTW...that is not the latest but it has filter gallery that lets you combine the filters and control the settings. When I use it I am able to control the level of detail and dark and light contrast.

what picture are you using?

I get black stuff too.

What is photoshop CS? and where is the photo gallery, is it only with CS?

oh wow...well PS CS is also version 8. as I said this is not the latest version but its not too old either.

filter gallery is in the filter menu and its a way to get to preview each filter while you change the settings. its also a way to combine different filters and play with the results...I don;t know when the filter gallery came out.

so does your photocopy filter have any controls at all?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/merrie1/Xmas1copy.jpg

This is what happens when you click on things and have no clue what you are doing!!

I think that's a VERY GOOD BEGINNING! Good Job!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

so does your photocopy filter have any controls at all?
Yep there are two sliders labeled "detail" and "darkness"

(I have PS 7.) :RedGuy:

Edited by cha cha trusty

Agh...I own a dinosaur...PS 6...but it does have a filter menu with two sliders labeled "detail" and "darkness" and a box I can look at to see how the adjustments are changing the photo...but when I try your photocopy process ansa, all I get is dark/black.

merrieeee Nice job! ...and so it begins...

Edited by laughn

Oh I'm sorry...I don't know why that is. I know that its tough to get that effect even with the blurring on some pictures that have high contrast or lots of dark spots.

If you can't get the effect by sliding the sliders around...I'm not sure whats happening. Probably its just the different versions we have but that shouldn't be.

I tried it out with other pictures and I got consistent resuslts of course the clarity depends a lot on the picture itself. The sliders for detail and darkness I have at really low numbers like 5 and 8...

anyway...another one I made cos I was trying to see if I would getthe results you guys get...and I suppose you have to keep the sliders way down.

post-2-1190550325_thumb.jpg

With this one after I got the effect I then played around with the image levels so that the lines will be more distinct.