Photoshop Techniques

One question...How do you upload a pic so it shows on the page as opposed to a link?

I'm glad you're having such a good time, merrieeee!! I'm jellus - my schedule during the end of Sept. and all of Oct. is so busy with music rehearsals and performances that I won't have time to really play with photoshop. Sigh. Maybe I'll find time to squeeze it in.

Anyway, here's how to post a picture rather than a link:

1. Open an account at photobucket.com. It's free, and very easy!!

2. In photobucket, click on the 'browse' button, find your picture, and double-click on it to choose it. Then click the upload button.

3. After the pic is uploaded, you'll see the pic in a thumbnail size on photobucket. Under the thumbnail, there will be four different ways to link the picture. Go to the bottom option, which is 'IMG Code.' Click once in the box beside 'IMG Code' to automatically copy the code.

4. Paste the code you just copied right into the reply box here at FCA.

It may look complicated, but it's actually quite easy once you've done it a few times! Here's a blend, posted from my photobucket:

_______0aca-2-big.jpg

Here's how to post more than one picture from photobucket:

1. Upload the pics you want to post. There will be a little box at the bottom left of each thumbnail. Click the box under each thumbnail you want to post.

2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on 'Generate HTML and IMG Code.'

3. Find the 'IMG images for message boards' box. Click once inside the box to copy the text.

4. Paste the code you just copied into the reply box here at FCA.

5. If you prefer, you can copy 'IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards' to get little clickable pics.

Like this (clickable):

th_ACTORCLAYYUM.jpg

th_IMG_0500_filtered3.jpg

th_jeans.jpg

Edited by Gibby

OK so not only am I hooked on Clay Aiken I am becoming hooked on Photoshop.

Thanks so much for the help you all have given. I at least feel now I know some basics. Making banners doesn't appear to be too difficult. I have to start to experiment more with textures etc. I have resized things, layered stuff, changed fonts etc and as they say in England I am quite chuffed with myself! (pleased)

[snip]

I would like to do the blending but cannot figure out how!

Yaaay merrieee!!! You have learned so much in the past week!!

I have a revelation for you: What you've been doing IS blending!!

Here is a tutorial I found which will give you another technique to play with:

Combine 2 Photos

Post any questions you might have. One thing left out of this tutorial is to maybe feather the eraser by setting the opacity (top tool bar) to a lower number and make a second swipe around the image closer in.

I've looked at your gallery - very pretty!!! KUDOS!! You get a gold star! goldstar.gif

There is only one thing I would watch a little more closely and that is the edges of your images. I think you might lower the feather number or crop closer in on some of the images so the hard, straight edges don't show. That is all!! I think your color sense is returning!! Good job!!

Here is a tutorial I found which will give you another technique to play with:

Combine 2 Photos

Post any questions you might have.

One thing left out of this tutorial is to maybe feather the eraser by setting the opacity (in the top tool bar)

to a lower number and make a second swipe around the image closer in.

I'm quoting myself because there are another couple things I would add on to this tutorial.

One is to turn off the large image while you are erasing around the other one.

(click the eye in the layers pallet)

Also, play with the opacity of the layer while you are working on it so you can see what you are doing better.

(i.e. make it more opaque while erasing it, then lower to 50% to see how it looks, turning on the other layer to see results during the process.)

[Remember the location of the layer opacity is the top right in the layers pallet]

Have fun!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Edited by cha cha trusty

BTW - for those without a Photobucket account, there's another way to post a picture.

You do need some kind of photo web hosting tho. But I am not sure they all have the little boxes where they generate codes for you.

What I do is to copy the url of the picture and then click on the "insert image" button in the top of the reply box (right next to the "insert link" button) and paste the url in the box, and click OK.

That works too!

inner workings of Photoshop: :imgtongue:

innerworkings.gif

BTW - how's everyone doing with their homework assignments???

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Edited by cha cha trusty

I always do the right click and click on copy image location...this will copy the URL on to your clipboard and then you can use the insert image icon. and just ctrl-v to paste the URL on your clipboard. This works for any image on the net that is not flash.

Ok, here are two banners I made for getclayaiken last winter. The first I'm posting because cha cha was talking about imposing one image over/behind the other, and I have fun with this. The second one I'm posting because I don't remember how I got that background effect and I'm looking for answers...bwahhh! :cryingwlaughter: I should never be turned loose with this stuff...

(clickable)

th_GCAeyes1.jpg

th_gca6copy3.jpg

(still working on metallic images...sigh...it's a bit complicated )

Edited by laughn

Ok, here are two banners I made for getclayaiken last winter. The first I'm posting because cha cha was talking about imposing one image over/behind the other, and I have fun with this. The second one I'm posting because I don't remember how I got that background effect and I'm looking for answers...bwahhh! :cryingwlaughter: I should never be turned loose with this stuff...

(clickable)

th_GCAeyes1.jpg

th_gca6copy3.jpg

laughn - I love those banners!drinkup.gif

I tried to duplicate the second one to see how you did it. I don't have time now to write out instructions but I made a screenshot of the layers properties box, and maybe you can gain some insight!!

The filter I used was "glowing edges" - it doesn't look quite the same as what you got, but similar. The colors are different.

Here's what I came up with!

bannerFCA.jpg

and here's the layers properties box:

layerpallet-bannerFCA.jpg

Hope that helps!! If you need help with the glowing edges tutorial, let me know. I had some trouble figuring it out too!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

BTW - on that first one, I think the design would benefit from erasing the edge of the larger photo where it shows up on the left side. :)

That background effect looks like photocopy with a black background and a peach foreground. I can see how you got there when you were working with these colors on the other layers.

Metallic effect is really difficult with PS that is why I was going to try PSP because they already have the plug ins for them I think. I have been experimenting with them but never got one that was satisfactory.

If you google photoshop plugins there are a lot of packages for sale. I bet there are lots out there in freeware but you have to search for them.

Thank you both for some good ideas. It will give me more to play/experiment with.

BTW - on that first one, I think the design would benefit from erasing the edge of the larger photo where it shows up on the left side.

You know, that is the hardest part for me. The concept. I think you are correct cha cha. Looking at it now I think it would look cleaner without that edge. I left it there purposely to give the (in my mind, hee) effect of him walking or passing through a mirror or out of the scene. I think that's part of the artist in me, but sometimes it doesn't translate well for a banner concept.

I am usually inspired to make banners by something I've read or seen on a particular board at the moment. I made one for CV once (don't think it was ever used) that was inspired by talk of his moving home. It wasn't good. It had too little of Clay and too much of 'home'. I think sometimes I get too caught up in the 'art' of the banner. I think I am still learning a balance.

th_CVhomecopy3.jpg

Thank you both for some good ideas. It will give me more to play/experiment with.

BTW - on that first one, I think the design would benefit from erasing the edge of the larger photo where it shows up on the left side.

You know, that is the hardest part for me. The concept. I think you are correct cha cha. Looking at it now I think it would look cleaner without that edge. I left it there purposely to give the (in my mind, hee) effect of him walking or passing through a mirror or out of the scene. I think that's part of the artist in me, but sometimes it doesn't translate well for a banner concept.

I am usually inspired to make banners by something I've read or seen on a particular board at the moment. I made one for CV once (don't think it was ever used) that was inspired by talk of his moving home. It wasn't good. It had too little of Clay and too much of 'home'. I think sometimes I get too caught up in the 'art' of the banner. I think I am still learning a balance.

th_CVhomecopy3.jpg

WHAAAATTTT thats gorgeous and it surely is very Clay...wouldn;t mind that here on FCA... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

So I decided to try a weekly change of banner...so we are open for submissions.

ok, I'm feeling way too, 'look at meeeee' right now, but I did remake that Home banner for FCA. Just let me know if you would like it. I know you have mucho talented people on this board with lots of other banners to share as well.

Oh I would welcome all banners...just that I will be changing them every week so the banners will have to be on queue...so if y'all don;t see it right away it will come in one of these weeks.

chacha that is great but it needs to be 260 in height.

oh and you guys can make your own album in the gallery section under banners and you can upload them as you make them. I will choose from there...then move the used banners to the ol banner album. If you can't make your own section I can put them up in the upcoming banner album. But if you guys plan to make a habit of this...hee...then your own sections will be great. Merieee has her own home in there already.

Hey ansa! I changed the size and the design a little bit.

I uploaded to my album I created and they made it smaller!!

Here it is (hosted by my web server) :imgtongue:

bannerFCA2.jpg

eta: does his nose look bumpy to you? It didn't look like that in PS!!

also..... when I click the "click to view full image" - nothing happens!

here is a link to the image

(Can you get rid of the "Quick Edit" thingie - it's useless!! Having a drop down there just makes you have an extra click to make!)

I actually like it cos I like the quick edit option. I really don;t know if I can get rid of it...didn't see an option for it but I will keep a look out for it.

I don't see the bumps on the full image...its great I think I may put it up during Halloween week...it has a spooky mysterious feel to it... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

BTW...they didn;t make it smaller...they do 3 images ...the thumbnail, the midsize and the full picture. I made the same mistake with Laughn's banner...at first I took it from the midsize picture.

I've read the help section but I cannot figure this out. How do you make a shadow behind the text? I want to do that to this banner.

BabeeInBluecopy-1.jpg

merrieee...what version of ps do you have?

anyway...on your layer palette...right click on the layer for the font and see if you can find blending options, click on that and it should open a new window.

this is where you can do shadows, glow, bevel emboss, satin, gradient and other effects. click on shadow and you simply change all the options...if you have the preview on you can see the changes on your fonts before it becomes permanent so you can experiment with all the settings.

Now if you do not see the blending option...its possible your version does not have it. I don;t know when photo shop got it...if not its very easy to do it using duplicate layers. I can walk you through that if you need it.

Great Banner though...you are getting better and better. If you have this blending option in the layers...you will discover so much more stuff to do its great.

pretty banner merrieeee :clap:

If I remember correctly, I have the dinosaur of the bunch, PS 6. With my version you hold your mouse over the layer itself, on the menu bar (see layers/channels/paths at the bottom and pretend your mouse is sitting right on layer 8, near the bottom) and just double click, regular left side...

PSlayersstyle.jpg

which will make this layer style menu appear...

PSlayersstyle2.jpg

...that is where I do all the shadows and such...and to make even more refinements, I can double click over , for instance, the

drop shadow effect once I've checked the box, and another set of options will appear.

Thanks guys. I have version 7.0.

It is fun doing this but also very frustrating. I have decided my goal is to try and accomplish one new thing everytime I work in Photoshop and so far so good.

Hee last time it was opacity as you can tell.

I figure slow and steady is good and doesn't make any difference because I really have no use for this in my "real" life! *g*

It is fun doing this but also very frustrating. I have decided my goal is to try and accomplish one new thing everytime I work in Photoshop and so far so good.

I figure slow and steady is good and doesn't make any difference because I really have no use for this in my "real" life! *g*

So did you find that window? cos that is one feature that can get me absorbed for hours...remember to click on the name of the effect you want to do to get a more detailed option window for that particular effect. And you can also combine effects and copy the effect you did on one layer to another. its great feature.

merrieeee! your banner is beautiful!!

Remember we used the Drop Shadow feature in the first lesson?

15. Giving the text "texture": Right-click on the text layer in the layers properties box, and select "Blending Options". A box will appear with all kinds of Options on the left and the properties of each option on the right. Move the box so you can see the text you are changing. (you might have to close the Blending Options box and move the photo, and reopen.)

layers.jpg

16. You can see in the layers properties box for this collage that I used Drop Shadow, Pattern Overlay and Stroke.

Drop shadow is pretty straightforward. Click on it to see the effect on your text.

Pattern Overlay means a pattern will appear in the text. This one is "Bubbles." You'll notice if you move the text the pattern remains in the same position.

Stroke means a line will appear around the letters. The default on my program seems to be red, but I usually change it to another color - change to whatever you want. Click on the color chooser and pick whatever color you like. I usually change the Size of the Stroke (at the top of the properties) to 1 pixel.

About the Blending Options properties box: Each option has its own set of properties. If you only click the check box, you won't see the options. Click elsewhere in the selection (i.e. stroke) to see the properties options. Use the sliders in each options properties box to experiment with the results of your selections.

I would love to see that banner with a more updated picture!!!

laughn - I agree that tutorial is a bit complicated! I had a little trouble following it too!

But I think I've found the feature that ansa mentioned - it's called "styles"

styles_pallet.jpg

And I used the "chromed satin" to make this one:

ifoundit.jpg

(All you do is write the text, go to the styles pallet, and click one! You can undo, and try out as many as you want)

Several bits about the Styles pallet:

• If you don't find it, go to the Window menu and click it.

You can add more styles by clicking on the arrow at the top right, picking a group, and selecting "append" (It's a good idea to write down which ones you're adding and the ending selection, then if you add more than one, you'll avoid duplicates)

Also use the arrow at the top right to change the mode of display. I have mine set on "Large List".

Color, Swatches, and Styles seem to be grouped together, so if one of the others is already displayed, click the Styles tab.

PSlayersstyle.jpg

I noticed on your screen shot here that you already have it, laughn! Just click on the Styles tab and see what you've got!