#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

I'm just staying here in my happy place and not venturing out until the nutjobs run out of steam.

I think you are going to be here a while then!

Kim

Well, the reality of Christmas is that it's extremely stressful for many people. The pressures of the holiday in itself are a lot, and then you add in a whole bunch of family members with unresolved issues and tension between them, and it's kind of a powder keg. We see this kind of thing at the hospital around Christmas quite a bit, unfortunately. So it's no surprise that there are some unhappy memories at Christmas.

I was thinking about sending in my memories of traveling from Colorado to my Grandparent's farm in Kansas every Christmas when I was a kid. It was usually snowy and cold, but my siblings and I were always excited for the gifts and for Grandma's great cooking. She made the most fantastic homemade bread with fresh wheat from the farm. It was good enough to be a dessert, especially with her homemade preserves. We would sing Christmas songs in the car on the way, and try to guess what we were getting for Christmas. Of course, 'are we there yet?' and 'how many more miles' were frequent questions, too. I have very clear memories of getting really excited when we FINALLY drove down the long, dirt road leading to the farm. Excitement reached a fever pitch by the time we finally got to rip the wrapping paper off our presents! The farmhouse was old, and had a huge, kinda scary upstairs, with steep, wooden steps. We kinda wondered if we would see ghosts up there when we went up to go to bed. The adults, of course, slept safely downstairs, and would let us kids take our chances upstairs! At least we had nice presents to take up with us! We also enjoyed gathering eggs from the henhouse, and helping Grandpa with a few chores around the farm. It was probably more hassle than help to have us tagging along, but he was very patient and quite a good sport about entertaining city slickers. I miss the innocence, anticipation and wonder of those Christmasses.

Is that cheesy enough? BWAH!

So, here goes:

For those of you that would go right up to somone dolled up for an important event and tell them that, in your opinion, they look like hell....can you tell me what is the "win" in this? What is the "win" for the recipient of this information in that situation, and what is the "win" for the giver of it?

Well it would depend on the circumstances. If it was someone I loved very much, and there was time for them to fix the problem I would probably tell them so that they wouldn't be embarrassed if and when pictures surfaced. This actually happened to my DH once when he went to a company Christmas party looking less than fine. When the pictures were put up on the office bulletin board a week later he was embarrassed. I wished afterwards that I'd insisted he wear something else. But, if it was a situation where I didn't know the person well or if there was absolutely no time for them to change, or nothing to change into, I'd keep my mouth shut.

And just to clarify - this doesn't mean that I think that Clay has sunshine coming out of his butt. :cryingwlaughter:

Well, I do. But yesterday was a cloudy day. :(

I have not ventured anywhere but here, so I'm blessedly ignorant about all the angst and nastiness going on. :nana:

When we were very little (there are 7 kids in my family) my mom would take us all into her bedroom to sing Christmas carols while "Santa" and my dad had a lovely conversation while Santa filled our stockings. Lots of banging of pots and pans and HO, HO, HOing happening. I always wanted to carry that tradition on to my family, unfortunately, my cats can't sing!!!

:lilredani:

I am catching up a few pages at a time......

Hey, how about them Colorado Rockies!! They played the Padres, and were tied through a lot of the game, and finally won at the bottom of the 13th inning. It was the longest one-game tiebreaker in major league history. Now they have a spot in the playoffs!!

Ah Gibby, how nice!

Too bad my Phillies will whoop their butts!!!!!! (at least I hope so but being a Phillies fan means hoping for the best but expecting the worst!)

I think he looks awful. Does it mean I think he IS awful? Of course not. Does it mean I love him any less than you or anyone else? No, of course not.

It just means that in those particular pictures I think he looks awful.

I don't think he looks awful. I think he looks like Clay attending a function as Clay Aiken the person, and not Clay Aiken the singing sensation. AMAs and DCAT ... he was appearing as a pop star. At the UNICEF function, he looks like a serious adult.

Now I prefer the bangs in his face look, or the Snowflake hair, or the DCAT hair ... but he still has the DCAT hair .. it's just styled conservatively. He looks happy and that's always my first criteria. I'm willing to bet he'll look hot for Christmas!!!

Great post, great way of thinking, keepingfaith. ITA.

I admit, I don't like reading out-and-out criticisms. My motto is, if I wouldn't say it to his (or anyone else's) face, I won't say it on a message board. But of course, that's only me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I know how to scroll (btw, thanks for the warning, Claygasm). But I got outta dodge lickety-split last night, because I could see where things were headed. I think I beat cindilu2 by about 3 posts. :cryingwlaughter: I had a good book I needed to finish reading....

Ah but luckiest1, if given the opportunity I would definitely say it to his face! I would have no problem with it. Its only how he looks that I hated. Not him. And I think he would know the difference - and frankly wouldn't give a damn!

Now, if only someone would give me the opportunity to get in his face and lick it and kiss it all over and whisper in his ears how bad he looked in those pictures.........

I'm up to page 4.... more to read....

I'm just staying here in my happy place and not venturing out until the nutjobs run out of steam.

Has anyone but me ever wondered why they never get tired?

I think they should impose 3 strikes you're out rule at the OFC. You can state your opinion 3 times in the same thread and then you're automatically cut off.

What would I have told Clay to his face before he hit the blue carpet last night to be photographed? "Tuck in your shirt, button at least one button on your jacket, take your hands out of your pants pockets, hold your chin up and put your shoulders back." I think those are pretty simple things that would have addressed most of the issues I had with his appearance in the initial AP picture that was on Yahoo. And yeah, I'm shallow and enjoy looking at red carpet pictures and believe that there is a little bit of art and skill involved in posing for them effectively. Obviously, YMMV and all that jazz. It was just a picture and not the man himself. None of that takes away from the admirable work that UNICEF is doing and the message of compassion in Jenna Bush's book. It's just a little footnote to the whole thing.

I also might have run my fingers through his hair, but that would have been more for my benefit than his.

And yes, I readily acknowledge that I'm frumpy, middle-aged, have bad teeth, dark circles under my eyes, frizzy hair, and I could stand to lose about thirty pounds. I couldn't take a good picture even if there was a team of stylists, heavy duty lens filters, and some industrial strength photoshopping involved.

Up to page 6..........

Might as well take a few more hits......

More criticisms of Clay follow, PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU GET UPSET AT SUCH CRITICISM OR YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW!!!!!

IN OTHER WORDS, DON'T BITCH IF YOU READ KNOWING IT WILL UPSET YOU!!!!

IMO - This contest is a STUPID idea. Frankly knowing this fandom, the last thing I want to pay big bucks for is to listen to fans read stupid stories at a concert. I want to hear Clay sing. I want his off the cuff banter. I DO NOT want to pay to hear a bunch of famerwhore fans reading mostly made up crap in an effort to get recognized by Clay!!

And YOU KNOW that is what will happen!

And 3 a show???? Is he fucking out of his pretty mind?????? That will take up a lot of the show!!!!

And how will the NJU types there react????

I love the man, and he is most of the time a very smart man, but this is a VERY dumb idea.

JMO and all that.

(And yes, I would say that this to his face too if given the opportunity!)

So, here goes:

For those of you that would go right up to somone dolled up for an important event and tell them that, in your opinion, they look like hell....can you tell me what is the "win" in this? What is the "win" for the recipient of this information in that situation, and what is the "win" for the giver of it?

Well it would depend on the circumstances. If it was someone I loved very much, and there was time for them to fix the problem I would probably tell them so that they wouldn't be embarrassed if and when pictures surfaced.

Basically what Bookwhore said - Me 'n sisters 'n friend have done more emergency surgery in bathrooms - and done our best to make sure our worst isn't recorded for posterity. And I'm afraid we have been in situations where we have said to each other about people we didn't know "What the hell were they thinking?" Maybe it's me - I'm not that attached to who made me pretty - as long as the consensus is that I'm workin' it. The people I would tell that they "look like hell" know me well enough to know that I am not doing it to make them feel bad - the more sensitive people I have run off long ago. In real life, there is only so much thin-skinnedness I can successfully deal with.

The only memorable Christmas story from my youth is that Christmas, 34 frickin' years ago, when my family went to my aunt's house and my pregnant mother ate enough turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pies, cake, green bean casserole, etc., etc., etc. to fend off the frickin' Dust Bowl. It was bad enough that she was so very old and pregnant (I was 12, she was 37 - ripe for social security in my view), but then she started making these gassy noises in the car. Then she made our stepfather STOP the car. Then she threw up. Turned out to be labor. My mother and stepfather left me and my two sisters (one 16 and the other 10) on a corner WHOLE half mile from the house - we were PISSED. We had to WALK home. It had to be about 65 degrees outside! They coulda dropped us off at the house but noooooooooooooooo...so another aunt came over and REFUSED to let us open our frickin' presents even though it was CHRISTMAS DAY because we should WAIT on our soon to be SIBLING (like we cared about a new annoying sibling). I have held that day over my sister's head her entire life. Not like she cares because she is the stereotypical baby of the family. Man, I dreamed about being an only child.

Ah well. Let's see what Clay has to say to that one. I might have to change some details.

Eh, CG - if the storytelling takes up more that 5% of the show, I would be shocked. I think the storytelling will be interesting. At least 75% of the fandom aren't famewhores - so we should have a number of clever anecdotes as well as the stupid made up stuff. And occasionally the stupid made up stuff will be entertaining as well. Like a good commercial!

Up tp page 9.........

Do you know what I like best about this contest? It will allow people a chance who have never had a chance to have some Clay time. To me this is like the NANA contest (smooches to my friend that won that) where unexpected people, new people will get a chance to have a special moment. Everybody gets an equal chance. I like watching his mind work and I like him just being him. But it sounds like all of 10 minutes of a concert, maybe 15. Hell I can't even imagine it not working because, well, it's Clay. But it sounds like he's doing some cooking up something a little different for this tour. He can't grow, with his art, or his imagination, if he isn't allowed the opportunity to try new things -- or even to lay an egg now and then. Go Clay!! :13:

In theory, that would be nice. Unfortunately, I suspect some in this fandom will submit 18,000 entries, with stories bordering on the miraculous (a Christmas miracle perhaps) to the sad to the happy to the funny etc - most of which WILL be lies. I can hear them making them up as I write this - all because they want to be recognized by Clay. Unfortunately, some who may win may be genuine, but many will cast an eye of suspicion on them. That is the nature of this fandom. The reputation is earned, not imagined.

Normally I don't post comments on his blog but I felt I had to to show support. Whatever happened to all the cliches about unconditional, let Clay.... etc? I guess they only count when it is right for them.

I think this is really funny!

http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yo...rity-terro.html

Celebrity Terror Trump Watch: Clay Aiken I was thinking to myself yesterday, "you know, I haven't seen Clay Aiken for a while. I wonder what he's up to?"

Yes, friends, he was locked up in his basement with The Trumpinator2000, an elaborate machine similar to a Bowflex, which -- in only 20 minutes a day, three days a week -- will eventually transform your face, hair and brows from whatever they used to be into something more closely resembling The Donald. Women (especially those with bad eyesight) will flock to you! Your friends will claim to be "amazed" and "stunned"! Your mother will cry! Probably with joy, because who doesn't dream of her baby turning himself into a wee Trumplette, right? A steal for even the regular Joe at just six payments of $79.99, The Trumpinator2000 is thrilled to have superstar Clay Aiken as its first celebrity spokesperson!

BWAH!!!! Now THAT is funny!!!! :cryingwlaughter:

I took a screencap from The Insider.

Love his smile!

Thanks for the headsup!

ClayJennaInsider.jpg

Oh god........

Lordy the man can loook soooooooooo hot, but also so NOT!

But I still love him!

(And yes, I would say everything in this post to his face if given the chance.)

I believe he will pick one, or two, or three funny short entries and run with them. He will snark.

Gee, maybe I am a famewhore - I think this will be funny, and I am submitting a funny memory, and I would just as soon Clay read it out loud, his timing is perfect.

I do not think for one second that he will have three people reading long stories laboriously and killing the flow of an evening with Clay.

I am not sure why disagreeing, or, I guess, not agreeing, is equated with "hits" - I am not sure what is really wanted - agreement? silence? I just think this will be fun, and I most assuredly am not a famewhore.

And my story is not made-up crap, not even a little bit embellished, and I doubt that most others will be made-up crap.

Can someone, anyone, who happened to watch Boston Legal please PM me what happened in the last five minutes?

But...Claygasm, how do you know they'll be famewhore fans. This fandom has a lot of funny, talented people. There are 2 funny stories already told on this board that made me laugh, and when His Royal Snarkiness got hold of some of these I think it'd be hilarious. I'm sure there are touching stories as well. I would love to see some new fans on stage rather than the ones that are always yelling at him.

He always tries to interact with the audience so I don't think that will change and IMO this just gives him more control over with whom. It could be fun, it could fall flat. He has a way of making things work.

The only memorable Christmas story from my youth is that Christmas, 34 frickin' years ago, when my family went to my aunt's house and my pregnant mother ate enough turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pies, cake, green bean casserole, etc., etc., etc. to fend off the frickin' Dust Bowl. It was bad enough that she was so very old and pregnant (I was 12, she was 37 - ripe for social security in my view), but then she started making these gassy noises in the car. Then she made our stepfather STOP the car. Then she threw up. Turned out to be labor. My mother and stepfather left me and my two sisters (one 16 and the other 10) on a corner WHOLE half mile from the house - we were PISSED. We had to WALK home. It had to be about 65 degrees outside! They coulda dropped us off at the house but noooooooooooooooo...so another aunt came over and REFUSED to let us open our frickin' presents even though it was CHRISTMAS DAY because we should WAIT on our soon to be SIBLING (like we cared about a new annoying sibling). I have held that day over my sister's head her entire life. Not like she cares because she is the stereotypical baby of the family. Man, I dreamed about being an only child.

BWAH!!! love the story... but since I'm a sympathetic puker, I'd appreciate if this isn't reenacted at any of my concerts... :cryingwlaughter:

But...Claygasm, how do you know they'll be famewhore fans. This fandom has a lot of funny, talented people. There are 2 funny stories already told on this board that made me laugh, and when His Royal Snarkiness got hold of some of these I think it'd be hilarious. I'm sure there are touching stories as well. I would love to see some new fans on stage rather than the ones that are always yelling at him.

He always tries to interact with the audience so I don't think that will change and IMO this just gives him more control over with whom. It could be fun, it could fall flat. He has a way of making things work.

I don't know, which is why I said:

Unfortunately, some who may win may be genuine, but many will cast an eye of suspicion on them. That is the nature of this fandom. The reputation is earned, not imagined.

The fact is, we may never know. We may never know how many made up stories the winners submitted. Or if they only submitted one genuine story. But the whole contest just invites cheating in the name of getting close to Clay - and unfortunately you know there are many in this fandom who will do just that. Not the majority, but many. Too many.

And KAndre, I hope you're right. I hope it doesn't take up one percent more than 5% of the show. Cause I really, really do not want to sit and listen to a bunch of stupid fan stories.

I HATE Christmas anyway. Christmas is NOT a fun time for me. The idea of listening to a bunch of holiday stories (and in the sake of fairness, he really ought to choose a Hannukah story, and a Kwanza story) when I would rather be listening to Clay is not appealing.

But speaking of these concerts - has anyone heard anything more about Poughkeepsie???

CG...you really like living dangerously... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

and as usual I will agree and disagree. I can see where you are coming from and why this could turn out to be one idea that I end up not liking. But personally...I like to wait to see how he will use this and what will actually happen. I can see this as being brilliantly creative and can make the concert very intimate and unique experience...or not. He has had other out there ideas before...that turned out to be very enjoyable to me...so I won't second guess this.

Last year I thought the Christmas show would be pretty lame...I was not happy that a lot of the songs were from the past two tours. BUT...he added songs that became some of the most fantastic vocal performances he ever done...and his banter was better than ever. So at this point...I choose not to look at the possibility of disaster and I am looking forward to some really great clack and unique experience.

I am loving all these colorful Christmas stories...trying to see if I have one really strong memory...will get back to y'all

Man, I dreamed about being an only child.

KAndre....I dreamed of having a sister or a brother. I AM an only child and it ain't what those with siblings make it out to be, trust me.

I might have a different tale to tell if I'd grown up with loads of money all around so that I could've been one of those legendary 'spoiled only children', I don't know. I just know that having LOTS of alone time when you're growing up isn't always healthy.

As for the concert idea? My first reaction is "Oy vey"... :rolleyes: Just hearing about it makes me think of Hometown Connection a bit too much. And I'm very, very greedy and don't really want to share my date with Clay with any other bitches, er.....lucky women. (Hey! Where the eff is the strikeout thingy?) JNT Vignettes was NOT my favorite Christmas concert, but I still found wonderful things about it, so I'm sure I'll find some amazing things about this one, too. The man has an uncanny talent and knows how to entertain. His track record is purdy danged impressive.

In fact, most things about this man are purdy danged impressive...(if you get my drift...heh)...

I'm still hoping he'll do "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with Angela this year, though. Now THAT would be awesome! :clap:

Unfortunately, some who may win may be genuine, but many will cast an eye of suspicion on them. That is the nature of this fandom. The reputation is earned, not imagined.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine giving a rat's ass about what that part of the fandom thinks of me. I am here for Clay, I give the fandom no power whatsover over what I do - some sure are batshit crazy, though! Some of the fandom are fascinating - needy, harsh, they are not really in this for the Actual Clay part, I believe (except maybe for that fabled Access To Clay thingie - which is more for bragging rights, IMO.)

Heee - worrying whether the Fandom thinks I am genuine is silly - been here too long to take that seriously!

Actually, the circumstances which led to my being on a farm in Louisiana for Christmas, dumped there by my mother, my father was out somewhere in Pennsylvania looking for my brother and sister and me, the circumstances were kinda horrific and never did get better. But the Santa coming out of the corn was pretty damned funny in retrospect, and that is what I remember.

I am here for Clay too.

Which is why the last thing I want is a bunch of fans onstage when I should be hearing Clay.

I HATE this idea and I fear the worse for it.

I HOPE to be proven wrong. I would be THRILLED to be proven wrong!

I HATED the vignettes. Saw that show 5 times. Had a good time each time, but still HATED the vignettes.

If he wants to keep this tour fresh, all he has to do is sing a bunch of new Christmas songs, instead of the same old, same old. That combined with his always fun, off the cuff banter would keep it fresh.

And yes, Ansa, I know I am living dangerously. But I have never been one to keep my opinions to myself (shocker there, I know!). The thing is, here I feel I can say what I feel and not have people suffer a meltdown. People will either agree or disagree with me - or be smewhere inbetween - and most won't hate me for what I say. Hey, people I love here often disagree with me! Just keeps things interesting!

Besides, I trust that soon smut, snark, drooling, laughter etc will soon take over anyway!

And I repeat - I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SAY EVERYTHING TO HIS FACE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! Let me at that face!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: IMO, loving someone is not measured by how much you agree with someone or how perfect you might think someone may be. I think the true test of loving someone is being able to love them IN SPITE of disagreements, IN SPITE of their faults. That is true in real life and should be true in Clay land.

Re: the Christmas Stories . . .

Since I don't see a concert I can attend, even though I might normally enter, I don't anticipate entering this one. Even though I come from a long line of Southern story-telling folk.

However, I just thought I'd suggest counting the sentences in many of the posts from today. Many are much longer than 20 sentences. Clay's blog said no less than 5 sentences (I think) and no more than 20 (I'm pretty sure). That's not a very long story.

And if it gives him something to play off of, I don't see the harm. I don't think anyone who is on "the list" will be one of the onstage folks. I can see Clay really making this a good time. And sometimes it may not work - like the non-stop talker in the balcony in Orlando. :mockery-046:

I just personally don't see getting worried about it. Kind of like some judged the JNT05 before or without ever seeing it. I loved his Christmas play. And i don't mind people who saw it and it wasn't their cuppa. But I hope people won't go apeshit prejudging and not giving him a chance. He knows how to mount (heh) a good show.

I just wish I was one of the lucky ones with tickets (or anticipated tickets) for this tour. :(

The fact is, we may never know. We may never know how many made up stories the winners submitted. Or if they only submitted one genuine story. But the whole contest just invites cheating in the name of getting close to Clay - and unfortunately you know there are many in this fandom who will do just that. Not the majority, but many. Too many.

You are right that there are many that will cheat and make up stories to get close to him, it's bound to happen. I've been wanting to walk away this fandom because of all the crap that goes on and there are so many who's behavior affects me and in not a good way. I did take a break and maybe I'm feeling stronger now, but I've just gotten tired of letting what they do and say affect my pleasure.

I'm only going to one concert but if even one of the fans makes me laugh or touches me that's what I'll take away with me. At least that's where I'm at right now, my feelings may change as the tour goes on and all he picks are cheaters.

I HATE Christmas anyway. Christmas is NOT a fun time for me. The idea of listening to a bunch of holiday stories (and in the sake of fairness, he really ought to choose a Hannukah story, and a Kwanza story) when I would rather be listening to Clay is not appealing.

But speaking of these concerts - has anyone heard anything more about Poughkeepsie???

This made me laugh for some reason. Clay has got you whipped...you are not thrilled with the contest, you do not like Christmas...yet you are still looking for another Concert??? hee

For the life of me, I cannot imagine giving a rat's ass about what that part of the fandom thinks of me. I am here for Clay, I give the fandom no power whatsover over what I do - some sure are batshit crazy, though! Some of the fandom are fascinating - needy, harsh, they are not really in this for the Actual Clay part, I believe (except maybe for that fabled Access To Clay thingie - which is more for bragging rights, IMO.)

Heee - worrying whether the Fandom thinks I am genuine is silly - been here too long to take that seriously!

I totally agree with this too. Frankly...I don;t care who gets up there as long as their story is entertaining. I don't care if its the biggest fameho's or the bigger stalkers...or the lonely lurkers or a new fan...just as long as they add something positive to the show.I don't care if the stories are true either, I just want them to be good or funny. I also do not care anymore what the fans are arguing or thinking...cos you will always get the nay sayers...the jealous bitches...the whiners...all part of the territory. Won;t give them power to ruin the fun for me. I am really enjoying the stories and I hope a lot of fans do submit so there will be more choices for TC. Djs and merrieeee...I hope you send that...I am also curious about Diva's story...I hope she can share with the board.

This made me laugh for some reason. Clay has got you whipped...you are not thrilled with the contest, you do not like Christmas...yet you are still looking for another Concert??? hee

You betcha! If he didn't losing me during the JNT05 - with that awful hair and those awful vignettes - he may never lose me!!!

And Clay and whips???? Hmmmmm. Now THAT has possibilities!!! :thdom2:

And I repeat - I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SAY EVERYTHING TO HIS FACE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! Let me at that face!!!!!!!!!!

Oh sure.... now the truth comes out... you just want a shot at the face... all that angst is just a way to get at the face... ;)

like the non-stop talker in the balcony in Orlando.

See... she didn't bother me all that much... of course, it was probably my second martini that threw me over the "I don't give a shit" edge... :ph34r:

But I hope people won't go apeshit prejudging and not giving him a chance.

In case you haven't been out and about yet... too.late. :blink:

But I do love that there has been good discussion here (not that I add all that much to it...) and people do feel ok about posting their opinions even if they think they aren't popular... :allgood:

Oh sure.... now the truth comes out... you just want a shot at the face... all that angst is just a way to get at the face... ;)

Damn! She figured me out!!! :naughty2:

Ok, enough of this post-whoring!! I need to go to bed!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: To one and all!!

(I may be contentious, but I am hard to hate once you get to know me! :lipstick: )