# 19: Clay Aiken: glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!
    • Clay Aiken, star of stage, screen, television and our hearts
    • He's just a gorgeous piece of manhood
    • Our man for all seasons and so many reasons
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • Looking forward to our Christmas romp in the snow with our Boyfriend!
    • GAHHHHH A main course of sexy, considerate, cute, hot, humble, witty, wise (& wise-ass) Clay for dinner, and then a helping of Teacher Clay for dessert. Life is good!
    • "What do you like?" Clay asks the little girl Sierra. And she said "I like you" She has good taste.
    • He has always been all that he is now, which is much more than he has often been given credit for, and even less than he is yet to become.
    • I think the world will always need Clay Aiken more than Clay Aiken needs the world. He is a realist; a survivor, and a star no matter how badly someone cuts his hair.
    • Was he beginning to get a clue that life would never be the same?
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • "Seriously, if I get any more excited about Clay being in Spamalot, I may spontaneously combust!"
    • "Spam me, baby!"

Good Morning Everyone,

7 Days until Clay is Live at Lincoln Center!

13 Days until Clay is on AYSTAFG!

18 Days until Clay Tapes The Skating Special!

38 Days until The Christmas Tour Starts!

64 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

67 Days until The Skating Special Airs!

80 Days until The BAF Golf Outing!

91 Days until Clay is on Broadway! :whoohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

My question for the day...How many think Clay will try to change his accent for the show? Do you think you want him to go for the British accent or should he just claim to be from the south of England? lol

editing to remove the YouTube long promo of AYSTAFG. The link doesn't work anymore.

I think he'll use a British accent. It's Monty Python, after all. But what the heck do I know? I didn't think he'd "get" the humour, and he obviously does! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I am really surprised at this when you first said it. I thought it would be just right up his alley cos I always thought he had a taste for the absurd. He loves the office and he also appreciates The riches...he loves play of words and tends to be slapstick...so I am curious as to why you thought he wouldn't get it. I guess I am usually with people that would be Monty Python fans so do not see why it would be hard humour to get.

Yay! A parenting style thingie I have in common with Clay fans! Though I did my child a little different - we did the single mother thing (penny pinch for a year then go) - did 1-2 weeks in a variety of places. His favorite with me was Jamaica. But his BIG travel was with the Boy Scouts - very small troop with financially struggling parents but with big dreams - they did a high adventure each year for 3-4 weeks, Grand Tetons, the Southwest, New England, Colorado - it's made him a lot of the good he is now...

weeps a little when looking at Lincoln Center...

Yeah, I tend to hang around MP fans (except for that import, merrieeee) and also thought it would be right up his alley. It's not exactly what you would call subtle, huh?

I am really surprised at this when you first said it. I thought it would be just right up his alley cos I always thought he had a taste for the absurd. He loves the office and he also appreciates The riches...he loves play of words and tends to be slapstick...so I am curious as to why you thought he wouldn't get it. I guess I am usually with people that would be Monty Python fans so do not see why it would be hard humour to get.

I don't know why....I guess I must know a lot of people who don't "get" British comedy.....but I do, so I am so happy to be wrong. I love that he keeps me guessing....never a dull moment!

Have to admit, I have never quite gotten British humor...Monty Python, Benny Hill...I watched the clip of DHP doing Sir Robin and it wasn't laugh out loud funny to me, but I can see Clay doing it and making it even funnier...I do wonder if they will make some adaptations for him and I can totally see him doing it with the southern accent.

Kim

Welcome Karma and ausdon!!!

Just post away and join the crowd. We like newbies here!

There is a feature you will love (tongue in cheek)... it's called View New Posts and is the favorite thing of our fearless leader Couch Tomato... :cryingwlaughter:

Sorry, couchie, I couldn't resist! I use it every day to get here just for you! (I actually do cause I have an old thread bookmarked and rather than make a new bookmark, I just hit View New Posts and come right to momma!) :cryingwlaughter:

I wonder if they will let Clay sing those clear bell tones in the rabbit scene. He could do it and floor everyone with his purity of tone... swoon!

Maybe we'll find out about the accent on the CITH tour, as he might practice his English accent on us if he is going that route. It would be a cute way to bring in a plug for the play.

Gotta get to work... see ya' later!

Hey...I created a Spamalot sub forum under CLIVE CLAY LIVE. I've moved all of the Spamalot threads into it. (just had to leave that error because it was too damn funny)

I've also created a NEW thread which is for information about Spamalot. There's been a lot of good info about Spamalot that is getting lost on main threads. I know that when I read at work for instance (on my lunch heh) that I don't follow the links and always intend to go back later but most of the time I do not.

So you tube links, information about Clay's part, the theater, anything pertaining to us getting to know Spamalot - when you post it on main can you also post it there.

If you've already posted some stuff (ahem lucky heh) can you copy it over there please.

And welcome to Karma, who many of us know whoot and Ausdon who most of us don't.

Of course I'm sure we all know that Ausdon first found Clay on MARTHA STEWART and that she probably knows you better than you think since she's lurked for a year, and that she lives in Austrailia and that her grand trip to the United States happens to coincicide with Clay on Broadway. Of course you know all that because you use VIEW NEW POSTS and read all about it in check in. Thanks Liney.

Happy TGIF, FCA! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:welcome:Karma -- glad you made it! Now to do Clay ... get in line, friend!

Greetings to Ausdon -- great to have you join us, too! :welcome:

Just catching up there's been so much to read these days with all the wonderful news!! I wanted to chime in regarding those who feel bad because they can't attend concerts, Broadway etc do to whatever reason. Yes, it seems like "everyone" is going when you read the boards & you can feel the excitement but feel left out when you can't go. My DH died April. 06. He required a lot of care due the nature of his illness. He encouraged me to go see Clay as we live in Clayland & it didn't mean days away etc. I rarely went because I felt like I needed to be home as every moment left with him was precious. I had to share my Clay joy thru those who attended, wonderful clack etc. Sometimes real life just has to come first. I had to put my big girl panties on & do what was right. After he died I found a birthday card he had bought in advance & the only words inside were " I hope you dance". This is my wish for Clay in regard to his career. Yes, I'm able to go see Clay when I want to now, but what I wouldn't give to not go to concerts because the reason for not going still existed.

ncgran4clay, sorry I'm late to echo everyone's sentiments. What a beautiful perspective and what a wonderful birthday wish from your husband -- keep on dancing! I'm in the "misty" column, too. :wub:

Cha Cha -- take care of yourself. To see something like that coming is very scary. My station wagon was once hit by a city bus, which, thankfully, I never saw coming. The car looked like a crushed beer can, and I only had minor injuries. I awoke from a mild concussion to a woman giving me the last rights. LOL, that about sent me into shock! Hope you're feeling better and better!

... being that Canadian media has been so nasty to Clay on the whole, to say I was surprised to see this on the Canadian version of tvguide.com today is putting it mildly. Nary a slam in sight. If you need me, I'll be out on the porch looking for the blue moon!

TVGuide.ca on Sympatico - Spam me, Baby!

Kind of a strange caption -- broody actor's pose-- under the UNICEF pix, but it's awesome the Spamalot article is slam-free, Cindilu! :)

Kareneh, that is one gorgeous photo of Clay from the Houston concert! :clap:

My blog is on its third/final day, but I love the Spamalot graphic that Amazing_CA created. LOL, Wandacleo gave me permission to quote her FCA post, "Ode to Tights," which has been quite popular in the comments. :lol:

th_ACA_Snix1.jpg

Clickable by ACA

Have a wonderful weekend, FCA! th_bubblesmileyrev.gif

Caro listen.gif

Have to admit, I have never quite gotten British humor...Monty Python, Benny Hill...I watched the clip of DHP doing Sir Robin and it wasn't laugh out loud funny to me, but I can see Clay doing it and making it even funnier...I do wonder if they will make some adaptations for him and I can totally see him doing it with the southern accent.

Kim

Well I can;t say I appreciate all British Humor...Benny Hill is one that I never really enjoyed. My uncle had tons of Benny Hill videos...just too slapstick for me.the British sitcoms is hit or miss for me...basically because at times I do struggle with the accents and may miss out on some of the more subtle humor. But I do believe The Office was originally a British sitcoms and seeing that Clay loves SNL...so I did expect him to appreciate sketch comedy.

<snip>Sometimes, he will let us go on a bit longer than usual. And very, very rarely, he will let us know that it means something special to him. Those moments are really precious, IMHO....know what I mean?

204967201-L.jpg

I just had to repost this. Gorgeous picture. Can't you just see that same expression and hand-on-heart at Curtain Call on Jan 18th??!!

Awww! I'm so glad so many of you will be there to see that!

Thanks for the great pic/s!

Kim

Well I can;t say I appreciate all British Humor...Benny Hill is one that I never really enjoyed. My uncle had tons of Benny Hill videos...just too slapstick for me.the British sitcoms is hit or miss for me...basically because at times I do struggle with the accents and may miss out on some of the more subtle humor. But I do believe The Office was originally a British sitcoms and seeing that Clay loves SNL...so I did expect him to appreciate sketch comedy.

I can remember (near) fist fights over the tv in my house growing up. My oldest brother was a complete anglophile when it came to the British comedies. On the Buses, Man About the House (which became Three's Company on US tv), Benny Hill, etc. I couldn't stand them!!! I did, however, LOVE Dave Allen at Large (which came on immediately after Benny Hill). Funny, funny man.

I am eager to see what Clay does with the accent. I don't think it was for nothing Nichols called him a 'master of character'. I think he's a born mimic, and will do his best to serve the character. It's fun to watch DHP in the videos, and he created the role, so it will always be his. But like I said before, Clay is not playing David Hyde Pierce playing Sir Robin - there's not a doubt in my mind that he will make the role his own. The thought of him being from the South (of England!!) cracks me up though!

Oooh, I loved On The Buses and Doctor In The House (I think that's what it was called?) and Dave Allen, too. I'm sure there were others that I'm not remembering now. Never liked Benny Hill, though. Was really too sexist and crass for me. But Monty Python was different from it somehow.....wacky and silly and hilarious. And of course, I love John Cleese. :wub: The though of Clay on stage with John's booming voice of God over the speakers just makes me weak in the knees. :lol: Yeah, I know I'm weird.....now if we ever get Clay and Robbie Coltrane on the same stage, I think I might die. :cryingwlaughter:

should he just claim to be from the south of England

OMG, this CMSU! :cryingwlaughter:

Hey....Karma?!? Is that really YOU? The Karma I know? OOOOOHHH!!! How exciting! I'm so glad you've joined our merry band (heh...subtle reference to Spamalot)... :clap:

So last night on a last-minute shopping trip with older daughter to find a suitable dress for the homecoming dance Sat. night (yes, I realize said trip was taken a mere two nights before said dance :rolleyes: )...and she was talking about her upcoming trip to Spain. My brain, of course, immediately made the association of her trip to Europe coinciding with my trip to NYC to see Clay in Spamalot, which made me think of something I learned while googling Spamalot and I actually interrupted her with...

"Hey, you know the actress that plays George's wife on Grey's Anatomy?"

"Yeah. She played Lady of the Lake in Spamalot. She's got an absolutely AMAZING voice and..."

"I just read about her when I..."

"Oh, wait, Mom...don't tell me, let me guess! :glare: because Clay's in Spamalot!" (She let out an 'eeeee!' and clapped her hands in faux delight. I swear, I don't know where she gets that sarcastic sense of humor of hers... :unsure: )..."God, Mom, what IS life? Seven degrees of Clay Aiken?"

:blink::huh::blush:

She has me pegged, doesn't she? :cryingwlaughter:

PS...we got her the cutest little swing dress at TJ Max for $20! Red! exactly the kind of thing I've always dreamed of being able to wear but since I've never even approached having the kind of model's figure that she has...I must live vicariously through her as she twirls and swirls in it! :wub:

From CH:

Very interesting article from ABC News about Celebrities and Charities. Clay was interviewed for this article.

Paris to Rwanda: Socialite Becomes Latest Star Hitched to Charity

A Tease

"When we walked in, they kept calling me your excellency," laughed Aiken. "I think both visits we've been on there have been misconceptions about how important I am."

Lots of new interesting information.

Found by Canuck2010 at the CV.

WOW! This is a wonderful article, full of quotes from Clay about Uganda and being a Unicef ambassador in general.

Yes, muski, one and the same. :headbangerf: (FTR, some hysterical emoticons here-- I'm gonna have fun!)

Thanks for the welcoming words, everyone. And now, just as I am looking around and settling in, DH is dragging me to MD for the weekend. Sooooo, I'll be back Sunday--don't miss me too much.

Ooooo, I got my e-tix for Spam, spam, spam, spam today. Wooohooo!

Uh oh, getting glared at now. Pfft. Bye!!!

Of course I'm sure we all know that Ausdon first found Clay on MARTHA STEWART and that she probably knows you better than you think since she's lurked for a year, and that she lives in Austrailia and that her grand trip to the United States happens to coincicide with Clay on Broadway. Of course you know all that because you use VIEW NEW POSTS and read all about it in check in. Thanks Liney.

Why yes, I read Check In and View New Posts and now I'm on my way back to Check In to give Ausdon a big old hello.

Boy what an enforcer you are..........but youcould use spell check to fix Austrailia to Australiahee

From CH:

Very interesting article from ABC News about Celebrities and Charities. Clay was interviewed for this article.

Paris to Rwanda: Socialite Becomes Latest Star Hitched to Charity

A Tease

"When we walked in, they kept calling me your excellency," laughed Aiken. "I think both visits we've been on there have been misconceptions about how important I am."

Lots of new interesting information.

Found by Canuck2010 at the CV.

WOW! This is a wonderful article, full of quotes from Clay about Uganda and being a Unicef ambassador in general.

WOW is right!! What a great article. And with all the celebs they mention and talk about, Clay is the one they are talking to. I really love his tone in this one - he just keeps getting better and better. I'm honestly a little verklempt at the moment!

Yeah. That article canuck found almost makes it look like Clay has a new publicist or something.

What?

:)

Oh, and just in case you want to know more about Little Miss Hilton . . .

Oh, and here's more on Little Miss (I'm not snide or anything, am I?) Charity Hilton.

People re trip to Rwanda

This one from superficial.com is hysterical!

And here's her charity . . .

Playing for Good