TBAF Discussion and Support

WORD Skatejoy. This make me think of the different charity activities my kids do in school. They have this Jump Rope for the Heart campaign and I used to wonder how effective it is in getting money for the heart foundation since they end up giving incentive gifts to the kids. But I realize that there is a bigger function for these type of charity activities. Its not really just about the money they raise but the awareness and the experience of volunteerism that they get.

I really wonder why people are upset when the galas are considered to be awareness building. They do end up getting publicity for BAF that they normally wouldn't get without the gala...free publicity with the features in newspapers and local entertainment news. People don;t realize that without a legitimate entertainment angle the only way you can get in the newspaper is if you take an ad for it and it is very expensive. So the gala accomplishes several goals...it raises awareness, raises money and also becomes an activity that local volunteers can actively participate in.

I do agree with Couchtomato that if it hasn't been effective then they could think of other ways to raise money and get local vounteers involved. Benefit concert are good...maybe it doesn't even ahve to be all Clay...it can involve local musicians and Clay can sing 5 songs...

I love the thoughtful and respectful way this is being discussed here.

There are a few charities that I give to solely on the basis of trust. TBAF is one of them. I don't think that makes me a "sheep" or naive in any way. Whenever I make a BAF donation or volunteer for a project they sponsor, my personal gratification is immediate. I feel good about it. I don't need to look at their annual report or their spreadsheet or whatever. The percentages, whatever they are, do not concern me because I believe these are people who are doing their best and are obtaining the desired results of raising awareness and inclusion. To me that is enough.

I know that all charities have to file reports with the IRS and if the IRS had any questions about anything, it would do its own audit and revoke or temporarily suspend TBAF's license. To my knowledge, neither of those things have happened.

So I'm putting the majority of my trust in TBAF (with a lesser apportionment to the US government/IRS). Between the two of them, I have absolutely no reason to let the joy I experience when making a TBAF contribution be marred by the events of the past week.

I'm glad Clay is speaking out for TBAF. He is an articulate and sincere spokesperson and he is the face of the organization. This whole mess has made me want to contribute more. So although I can't wrap worth a damn I'm gonna sign up for Wrapping for Inclusion this year. Maybe they'll let me carry the supplies or count the money or talk about TBAF.

Well, it is Wrapping for Inclusions.  Point out that they have an obligation to including "wrapping challenged" people as well.   :D

Hee. I'm an okay wrapper myself... it's too bad they don't do this in Toronto or I'd volunteer, although maybe they do and I've just never heard... I'm pretty dense sometimes... ;-)

Does anybody know where they organize this and where you can look into it? Is there a website? I just always figured that the laws wouldn't allow for an American charity to raise money in Canada... and they probably won't allow that... however I'm sure there's some way around it... I think a Canadian handles Penny Lane...

I know the woman who is over the California region for Wrapping for Inclusion...I'll e-mail and find out more info. Goes to show what this "scandal" has done for me. She was just soliciting volunteers at our latest party and I didn't volunteer because really, I mean really, I'm a horrible wrapper. But you know what, I know how to organize and I can be the boss LOL. My sister is the best wrapper in the world so I'll try to set something up for my city. So I'll respond to questions on WFI in a couple of days.

ETA:

I heard back from Cheri who coordinates California volunteers fro Wrapping for Inclusion. Here's part of her e-mail:

I would be glad to talk to you and post on the board all about WFI, and answer any questions.  Unfortunately, I am flying out very early tomorrow morning for Clay Concerts and won't be back until August 9th.  Once I get back I will get you up to date and post on the board, so please just ask everyone to be patient and I will get the info out to y'all ASAP!!  I would love for you to be a City Team Leader so we will definitely get that all worked out!  ~Cheri

Shelley, there is an ezboard for WFI, but it seems to be not being posted on currently. I don't believe that there are any wrapping sites in Canada, probably for legal reasons.

That's what I figured HotMom... oh well! Maybe I can swing down to Buffalo/Niagara Falls if I have the time (and somebody's doing one there)... we'll see.

TBAF has a Board of Directors. This is wonderful news. Looks like Clay stuck with people he trusts and who can blame him really. I think these people can be counted on for their discretion. Hopefully the projects in place will go forward. I'm particularly excited about the federal grant.

According to PamelaJ who runs Claymaniacs, the new treasurer is a teacher from Raleigh. So all of these people were there pre-Clay Aiken.

It is my fervent hope that TBAF can go forward in peace. That the fallout from the scandal doesn't extend any further. That people will now step back and let TBAF do its job and reorganize itself and find its footing.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, I will continue to support Clay's foundation. If WFI goes forward I'll be working with it this year. I look forward to getting info from Cherie when she returns from her trip.

Board of Directors

Clay Aiken

Chairman

Diane Bubel

Executive Director

Faye Parker

Secretary

Frances Wilson

Executive Staff

Kristy Barnes

Chief Operating Officer

Debbie Cain

Treasurer

Mailing Address

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation

P.O. Box 90307

Raleigh, North Carolina 27675

email: contactus@thebubelaikenfoundation.org

I know I haven't seen this suggested anywhere else but couldn't Fran have just signed on to help get the foundation off the ground for a couple of years. She does have her own Law practice.

Regardless, I'm glad that the foundation is doing well and I hope that the naysayers don't find something else to complain about.

I know I haven't seen this suggested anywhere else but couldn't Fran have just signed on to help get the foundation off the ground for a couple of years.  She does have her own Law practice.

The other possibility is that she IS still around, just in more of an advisory role...one that doesn't need her name attached to the BAF.

Regardless, I'm glad that the foundation is doing well and I hope that the naysayers don't find something else to complain about.

Me too. Just let the foundation run for a while. It will do fine.

I am very happy with this move, not because FSL is not in the BOD but because the BOD is in place. I do believe that is something that was bothering a lot of people.

FSL...I can see several possibilities about this...ITA with Diamondjake its possible she was there to get it off the grounds and has now taken a more minor role...its possible she chose to move on herself. I'm sure all the attacks on her hasn't been easy.

This move tells me that BAF is moving forward. I do hope that Diane has an easier time in her position.I hope people will be more patient with her because one thing is for sure, she will make mistakes and things will not always be perfect. I hope she is given more space to make this a success than people gave her predecessor.

Regarding BAF and WFI, it was a wonderful experience last year and many of us are looking forward to doing it again. Have been picking up some additional volunteers through the JBT.

Since the BAF is not "established" in the minds of the public, it is difficult to get spots for wrapping in high volume shopping malls in our area, but we did have a multiple presence at Barnes & Noble stores in downstate New York. It was handled very well and the store personnel were always there for help and advice.

This year, we know what we want to do and how to do it better. It was inclusive. My brother is a "quad" who can't wrap but is an excellent spokesperson for BAF and the value of Inclusion. So WFI can be the model of its own philosophy. Only thing was there's a Starbucks in the building where we were wrapping and his participation in the effort cost me ... er... substantially because of the cafe...lol. But we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

This time, they better give us Clay's concert schedule before we book our wrapping dates. Want nothing to come between Clay and his groupies ya' know.

Hello There -

My name is Cheri and I am a state coordinator (volunteer) for TBAF. I was asked to come by and talk to you all about TBAF and Wrapping For Inclusion, which I am thrilled to do. I am not sure what you know and what you don't. So if you ask questions or give me an idea of what you would like me to cover, that would be great.

Wrapping for Inclusion is just now getting going. State Coordinators will be working with existing and new City Team Leaders to schedule wrapping locations and recruiting volunteers. We've kind of held off since everyone is travelling for the JBT but I suspect local efforts will get going in the coming weeks. At least, I am about to delve into it myself!

Also, just for your clarification, Fran Skinner Lewis is no longer with TBAF in any capacity, advisory or otherwise. She has returned full time to her private law practice and has no association with TBAF.

So post away your questions! I am here to help.

Claylove,

~Cheri

P.S. I have heard that Jaymes told someone we would have Christmas Tour dates in the next few weeks. Hopefully this is true so we can plan wrap dates around the concerts!

Edited by claylove

Hey Claylove,

Thanks for posting over here.

Are you going to regularly check this board for questions?

I would like to know when volunteers are being recruited for Wrap for Inclusion or when cash is needed for supplies.

Are there city coordinators as well as state?

Yes, I will regularly check here for questions. We are starting to recruit for volunteers in September. I have a message into the Project Coordinator to see exactly who to contact if you want to volunteer (just to be sure its the same as last year). I will let you know as I receive a response.

As for supplies, that would depend on the needs of your geographic location. Some cities have merchants that provide wrapping supplies (such as Borders) and others need to provide everything. So you'd need to ask your state coordinator about that.

Each state has a state coordinator, then we have several city team leaders (CTL) within each state. The CTLs schedule wrapping booths, coordinate volunteers and oversee the wrapping project as a whole.

If you let me know where you live, I can probably be more specific or point you to the person in charge of your area. Just send me a PM with your info and email address.

Thanks!

~claylove~

Wrapping for inclusion info:

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation is proud to announce a holiday awareness campaign and fundraiser, Wrapping for Inclusion. From November 20-December 24, volunteers of The Bubel/Aiken Foundation will set up gift-wrapping booths at stores and malls across the country and wrap gifts in exchange for donations. The donations will support the mission statement of the foundation, serving the vision of inclusion opportunities for children of all abilities.

Monies raised will help fund projects of The Bubel/Aiken Foundation including its YMCA initiative. The past two summers, camps for children with and without disabilities, were instituted by the Foundation in collaboration with YMCAs in Kansas City, Missouri and in the North Carolina cities of Concord and Raleigh.

We have secured locations to wrap in many states and cities across the country and we are seeking more wrappers! We are looking for volunteers of all ages and abilities. You can give as much or as little time as you would like! Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate in any way possible!

Why not:

* Get a team of teachers, students, and parents together and make it a community service project.

* Post a notice in your church newsletter or bulletin and form a team to give back for the holiday season.

* Volunteer for a day with your family to celebrate the spirit of giving.

* Gather a group of students from your school and pair with students from a special needs school to promote inclusion and make some new friends.

* Ask charitable organizations in your community to make a donation of their time and help wrap for an evening.

* Have a friendly competition between two groups, grades, classes, organizations, etc. and see who can log the most wrapping hours.

* Ask your local Boy Scout or Girl Scout troop to get involved.

Come one, come all and join in the fun! Every person no matter what your age or ability is encouraged to be a part of this great event! You decide how much time you can give and when you would like to wrap.

We are also seeking donations of wrapping supplies: seasonal or plain-colored wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, tape, scissors or monetary donations to purchase these supplies.

To volunteer for this great project, to donate supplies, or for more information, please e-mail Trudy Littleton, at tlittleton@kc.rr.com. For additional foundation information, email contactus@thebubelaikenfoundation.org.

About the Bubel-Aiken Foundation

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation provides services and financial assistance to promote the full integration of children with disabilities into the life environment of those without. The Foundation strives to create awareness about the diversity of individuals with disabilities and the possibilities that inclusion can bring. To learn more about The Bubel/Aiken Foundation or ways to get involved visit their Web site at www.bubelaikenfoundation.org.

Wow, I really love the new look. Anoroc has done a great job with the new logo. I love the simplicity of the petals & colors. It speaks so clearly of the goals of the BAF. The flower is only complete when all the petals are together. Including pictures of children playing makes it clear that the foundation is all about children. I can't wait to see the site once it is complete.

eta: I took the new site link down for now...I was not sure if this was released officially since the site seem to be under construction. I will put it back once I'm sure it was meant to be shared with the fans at this time.

ansa

A press release about State Farm teaming up with the BAF:

Recording star Clay Aiken and State Farm Insurance® are making beautiful music by working in concert to help children of all levels of ability be more included in the educational system. State Farm has granted $1.5 million dollars to Clay’s foundation, The Bubel/Aiken Foundation to help develop a primary education curriculum focused on teaching social and life skills through service to children of all levels of ability. The State Farm-Bubel/Aiken team hopes that by teaching the language of diverse abilities, communities will be supported in viewing children with disabilities as contributors and active members of society.

"State Farm's three-year grant to The Bubel/Aiken Foundation will allow the development of a curriculum that provides ideas and strategies that will engage children of all abilities in giving back to their communities," says Kathy Payne, State Farm Community Alliances Assistant Director. "The curriculum will be developed in three stages with the first year of the project focused on kindergarten through fourth grade. As we move forward, we’ll be able to share ideas that connect well with State Farm’s focus on community development, safety and education.”

A key supporter of service-learning—a teaching strategy that connects real-world applications of learning to school curricula —State Farm has combined efforts with The Bubel/Aiken Foundation as a reflection of its strong commitment to education and to community partnerships that foster collaborative environments for all ages.

"The Bubel/Aiken Foundation will create innovative materials that embrace the philosophy of inclusion and support educators that work with children with and without disabilities. This curriculum will create awareness and change behaviors by educating individuals about what young people of ALL abilities are capable of doing,” says Kristy Barnes, Chief Operating Officer.

The Bubel/Aiken Foundation was created by Aiken in 2003 to serve children with developmental disabilities by creating, implementing, and funding programs of inclusion in the social, educational, recreational, vocational, and community settings. By combining his history of working with children with disabilities and his degree in special education, Clay has used his celebrity to further the causes of education and inclusion. In addition, schools, after-school and community programs, such as those held at various YMCA's, will be able to use this curriculum to educate young people who are eager to work collaboratively with their peers in a positive way.

Amazon associates

How the Program Works

Associates drive internet traffic to Amazon.com through specially formatted links that allow us to track sales and other activity.

Associates earn up to 10% in referral fees on all qualifying revenue made through their links.

We send monthly payments to Associates.

Once you join the program, we will give you access to Associates Central, our extranet exclusive to our Associates. This is the place where you will build your links, view your traffic and earnings reports, and read about the latest news and opportunities available to you through the program.

Participation is Easy and Free

Complete the online application.

Create & post your links to Amazon.com using our Build Links tool in Associates Central.

Begin tracking your traffic and earnings reports online. Reports are updated daily.