#20: Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."
    • Bring it Aiken! And if it turns out to be a total cheese boat I'm ready to sail with ya'!
    • Circumstances and dynamics spun together into pure electricity
    • Buy Clay Aiken because it's a top of the line brand.

My feelings on idol radio play are strange.

I actually like Kelly, Ruben, Elliott and Carrie as people. I think they're all decent human beings with real talent, and I wish them all well in their careers.

Daughtrey and Kim Locke, I'm a little less than neutral on, but I don't hate them and I recognize their appeal.

But the truth is, I can't stand hearing their songs, because the petty part of me resents the fact that they get radio play and Clay does not.

I believe Kelly is a good friend to Clay, but at my wedding, I told the DJ not to play any of her songs. I've walked out of stores playing Carrie, and asked my husband to change the radio when Daughtrey came on. I'm not proud of it, but I figure I'm free to listen to what I want, for whatever reason I want.

I know it's not popular to say this, but I can kind of see why Clay's had trouble with airplay -- and it's not solely attributable to lack of payola or a Clear Channel snub. I think his sound has not always been an easy fit on many formats. He's a fantastic singer with some good songs, but sometimes, that's just not enough.

Personally, I want to hear him on the radio. I believe that with the right songs, it is possible. However, if he is serious about radio play (and he's mentioned it too often for me to believe that he's not), he's got to listen to radio, and he has to find a producer who can find a sound that will appeal to programmers. Fans may not agree on whether that sound would be a good thing or not, but I think radio could make a big difference in his music career.

Then, again, perhaps that's not what he's ultimately after. A television/film career could make radio play less relevant, and I would not be surprised if that's what ultimately fuels his future success.

Ok, we are talking about judging people - yes there are artists I judge and won't do anything considered support - Akon is one, after seeing the videos of how he treats his fans, just no. He is a legend in his own mind. Fergie - no, I don';t like her songs, find them rude and I don't like her approach to them. People like her personally, but I think she is a bad image for woman. Pink is interesting, she is a combination of bad repulsive behavior and empowering songs. Sometimes I will listen and support her. So - yes - sometimes I do let my impressions of singers interfere.

Then you have the opposite influence, like I realize Kanye West has been building a reputation of the big ego, but I still can't help feel sorry for him with his mother's death since she was his stabalizing force. I can only wish him well with the rest of his life.

Ans so it goes with Clay - sometimes he says things I might question or wonder about, but Idon't let them bother me because it ia a word under a microscope and it might have been a mistake or it might have been a misinterpretation. What ever, it is never a big deal for me to get worked up over. No dead bodies, no singed puppies.

I know Pink is a bit out there at times, but I really like her. Fergie just turns me off for some reason. I like Kelly [not her current album though] and Carrie so I don't mind hearing them. Jamie Foxx's ego just turns me off. I did love him in Ray though. Suprisingly I like Eminem, and I don't usually like Rap. I like Will Smith, but them his Rap is pretty bubblegum plus the fact that he comes across as a real nice guy.

Well, if I am honest, my regard of any artist who enjoys the advantages of radio play must be tainted by a certain amount of envy. envy.gif Plain and simple. And before anyone "corrects" me by pointing out all the non-radio advantages Clay Aiken HAS enjoyed, let me hold up my hand now and pettishly say, "I don't care". I want equal time for the so-deserving Clay Aiken on the radio and until he gets it, I will continue to pout like a thwarted baby and eye every other so-called artist with excessive resentment. heh

00Isee... :cryingwlaughter: I am with you there! Not a pouter, but I can give the evil eye really good! :cryingwlaughter:

My feelings on idol radio play are strange.

But the truth is, I can't stand hearing their songs, because the petty part of me resents the fact that they get radio play and Clay does not.

I know it's not popular to say this, but I can kind of see why Clay's had trouble with airplay -- and it's not solely attributable to lack of payola or a Clear Channel snub. I think his sound has not always been an easy fit on many formats. He's a fantastic singer with some good songs, but sometimes, that's just not enough.

Personally, I want to hear him on the radio. I believe that with the right songs, it is possible. However, if he is serious about radio play (and he's mentioned it too often for me to believe that he's not), he's got to listen to radio, and he has to find a producer who can find a sound that will appeal to programmers. Fans may not agree on whether that sound would be a good thing or not, but I think radio could make a big difference in his music career.

Then, again, perhaps that's not what he's ultimately after. A television/film career could make radio play less relevant, and I would not be surprised if that's what ultimately fuels his future success.

Jenna... I agree totally! I think that Clay sees it, too and is conflicted. He knew BFM might have been a big radio hit for him, but just didn't want to be singing it for years to come like Invisible. So, he continues to look for a sound and songs that he can really get into AND will be radio hits. Not an easy task, obviously!

Since he really likes this new producer and his sound, I'm hoping he has found the sound part and is now searching for songs/melodies/lyrics that he likes.

I think he is closer than he's ever been to knowing what he is looking for (even in stories... hehe) and that's a big step, in my book!

Love that man!

Hm...JennaZ...I agree Clay's sound might not fit "many" formats...but in my opinion all it takes is one format. ONE! One steenking, freaking ONE...do I hear one? C'mon batta batta batta...swing! heh

Seriously, from the beginning, perplexed by the issue, I have listened intently and studied the playlists...and I'm very, VERY sure that most of Clay's music from his albums would have/would still fit quite firmly and delightfully...um...wait...I mean...fit very well on at least one (O-N-E *g*) local station exactly as it is. No change in "sound" needed. But then again, all supposed evidence to the contrary, I still think the sound that appeals most to programmers is "cha-ching"...

Disclaimer: I am NOT bitter. Am not.

Warning: Do not thwart the baby.

angry_baby_head.jpg

I admit sometimes an artist's attitude and ego do factor into whether or not I will listen to, or buy, their music.

Daughtry...can't stand him, but even if I could, I hate his sound.

Kelly completely turned me off with the whole shully thing. Not that I was ever really a fan, but now, I won't even give any of her future projects a chance. I'm sure that breaks her heart *g*

I feel exactly like Desertflower here:

I would never buy anything from Micheal Jackson (used to love his stuff) or R. Kelly. I don't enjoy Tom Cruise anymore, or Mel Gibson.

Now alot of Artists are egotistical...but when they show it in public it really turns me off. Now I think it takes confidence in yourself and an ego to be a performer...but when that ego is way OTT is when it turns me off.

ETA

I didn't mention Akon or Kanye cause I wouldn't listen to their music even if they were the nicest guys on the planet.

ETA: BWAH, my old boss just came by my desk and she is literally freaking out because she is going to see Bon Jovi tonight, here in town at the arena. She was going on about his ass in tight pants and his package. :cryingwlaughter: And then she said that there is a rumour that Daughtry might open, and if he does she will be orgasmic. Oooookay, to each their own, obviously. Sad for her, but I heard the opening act was Jacob Hoggard and his band Hedley.

Which, to me, would be far preferable! Love Bon Jovi, and love Jake...he's just SO OTT!! He makes me laugh, and I feel like he makes himself laugh. I'd love to see that show if it's true....weren't you going, BTW, or was it Cindy?

For those in the US wondering who the heck Hedley is....their website

I know Pink is a bit out there at times, but I really like her. Fergie just turns me off for some reason. I like Kelly [not her current album though] and Carrie so I don't mind hearing them. Jamie Foxx's ego just turns me off. I did love him in Ray though. Suprisingly I like Eminem, and I don't usually like Rap. I like Will Smith, but them his Rap is pretty bubblegum plus the fact that he comes across as a real nice guy.

bwah and my mom is still pissy he left his wife for Jada. Doesn't matter that he didn't leave his wife for Jada. She thinks so. And there's the bottom line with me...the only pop star I truely know is Clay and I only think I know him. Hell Denzel has been my favorite actor since he was on St Elsewhere and I don't know a thing about him. I think I heard he played around on his wife. Don't care. Usually something will have to be of the major crime variety - see OJ - before I judge them. Everybody else IMO is just human. And with hollywood and image and things not always what they seem (i've learned a lot since Clay) I simply don't care if someone parties. And since I don't really know where his wife was or what they agreed, or if he was in a corner singing a good night song to his child, or at the party to make a connection with a possible collaborator, I can't judge that.

I guess for me radio isn't the end all and be all of everything. People don't support people just because they are on the radio. There has to be something more that resonates. Or well, they'll support them for this song and forget about them for the next. I do remember Clay saying he can't even listen to pop radio for long. Well he needs to or get someone around him that does because he'll have to fit in. They aren't going to change for him. And it sounds like he will try for that so we'll see what happens. An album has what 12 songs..if he wants to purposely aim 4 or 5 at radio... I certainly don't care.

All I know is I'd rather be able to see Clay in concert 50 million times than listen to him on the radio 50 million times. There are some "stars" that have never been able to sustain a tour or that don't go out on the road regularly. I'd rather have that. And I'd rather have TV or let him be part of the new wave of whatever that actually kills radio dead. I know it's not this or that..and I do look forward to him making a breatkthrough, I'm just not pissy about it.

Since I don't listen to the radio at all - I guess I don't get bothered by who else is on there. I did hear KLo on a store sound system when I was shopping a couple of weeks ago. It was a song from her first album. I smiled. So yeah I'd love for Clay to make people smile by coming over the airwaves but I just can't resent other people who can actually sing. Now the Paris Hilton's of the world? That's a different story. I don't like manufactured.

I actually don't know how people DO listen to radio for any length of time....sometimes in the car (which is the ONLY time I listen) I punch all the preset buttons and on EVERY FREAKIN STATION there are commercials or blah-blah-blah from DJs that think they're funny or profound or relevant...then, often when a song DOES come on, it's one I just heard the last time I turned on the stupid radio!

Our local 'soft rock' station still plays a limited number of songs and some of the danged things are as long in the tooth as I am (well, maybe I keeed just a little :whistling-1: )...Still, I don't 'get' how stations and then particular DJ programs decide on play lists...so whatevah.

I've become more convinced of an inevitable demise of radio as we know it, just as I won't be surprised to see an eventual shift from hard copies of CDs to digital downloads, with the artist having more control over his/her own career as a result. Clive might not live to see this, but I do believe he will be remembered as perhaps the last iconic big studio boss....

Blah blah...I'm talking outta my considerable-sized ass... :thsigns053:

whatevah :lmaosmiley-1:

Personal disclaimer:

I don't personally resent any of the artists who get airplay. More power to them. I just resent that they get it, and he doesn't. Doesn't matter a whit to me who 'they' are, just that they aren't Clay. I JUST WANT CLAY TO GET HIS SHARE, TOO. *stomps feet*

comealittlecloser.gif

Hot damn! On top twice in row. Go me!

Me too...Pink can at least sing and while she may be a bit irreverent I really like her. Surprisingly I also like Eminem and I've found a couple of his tunes pretty damn catchy. I like Kelly and some of the songs on her current album.

Back to Clay, didn't he say that the only music he listened to on the radio was country or gospel? Where does he think he can fit, where do those of you who want to hear him on radio think he can fit? A lot of you have said you don't listen to the radio anyway, so would you listen for one voice, cuz you have to get thru a lot of crap to listen to that one voice? Interesting dilemma!

nope won't listen just for Clay..but do think he can fit on AC and Hot AC. Those stations don't usually play the song every hour on the hour but I do think he fits there.

ETA: Muski ..agreed. It's not just the same songs over and over it's the childish DJ chatter. I'd rather listen to the childish show hosts on sports radio. :cryingwlaughter:

I JUST WANT CLAY TO GET HIS SHARE, TOO.

I do too, actually....but I think this whole conversation exemplifies the difficulty in getting that to happen. While I'm sure that 00lsee is correct that "money talks," I also think Jenna's talking about Clay needing a song that gets programmer's attentions is just as relevant. It's not an "either/or" proposition, as I feel so many in the fandom feel it is.

I also think it simply leads back to my earlier question: if Clay WAS offered on the radio, would the public pick up on him? I think, if the song is right (and I think SOME of both MOAM and ATDW would have fit, not all), they might. But, so much of the public (and the radio charts) are either going to Nickelback or else hip-hop that I'm not sure. Even the Adult Contemporary stations (in my area at least) are heading toward the Nickelback thing. (I do listen to this station in the mornings for about an hour, as I'm getting ready for work, mostly because I like the patter of the two DJ's. I don't hear Groban or Buble on that station; I hear Daughtry and Fergie....)

cindilu2, you mentioned "fate" yesterday, and that's my whole take on radio play for Clay Aiken. You're right in that it doesn't take into account so many personalities that are involved, but if Clay wants this, I think the stars are going to have to align serendipitously for much of it to happen. And as much as I think Clay's working toward this, I think he also realizes that some of it is simply out of his hands.

couchie, I think it depends on the AC/Hot AC station. As I said earlier, I like the DJ's in the morning in my area, but they play the same songs all the time. And during the workday they do "no repeats" so if even Clay got played on my radio, it would be once a day, tops.

Love Bon Jovi, and love Jake...he's just SO OTT!! He makes me laugh, and I feel like he makes himself laugh. I'd love to see that show if it's true....weren't you going, BTW, or was it Cindy?

Nope, neither of us, but maybe goldarngirl.....I like Jacob, I went and saw him in a little club with my son a while back. He's crazy, but like you say, he makes me laugh.

All I know is I'd rather be able to see Clay in concert 50 million times than listen to him on the radio 50 million times. There are some "stars" that have never been able to sustain a tour or that don't go out on the road regularly. I'd rather have that. And I'd rather have TV or let him be part of the new wave of whatever that actually kills radio dead. I know it's not this or that..and I do look forward to him making a breatkthrough, I'm just not pissy about it.

ITA, there are things I'd rather see than radio. Still doesn't stop me from turning the damned thing off, though, when they play a cover version some song that I might have originally liked, sung by a singer who can't sing for shit. [sv]Rod Stewart comes to mind[/sv]

Back to Clay, didn't he say that the only music he listened to on the radio was country or gospel? Where does he think he can fit, where do those of you who want to hear him on radio think he can fit? A lot of you have said you don't listen to the radio anyway, so would you listen for one voice, cuz you have to get thru a lot of crap to listen to that one voice? Interesting dilemma!

You're damn right I'd turn on the radio if they'd play Clay! Just for the pure pleasure of it. I used to listen when they played Invisible. I have been known to listen more often during the Christmas season, in the hopes that they might play one of his holiday songs. And I think pretty much anything from ATDW would have fit on my local EZRock station.

Would I listen for one voice? Nope. Especially since I hate the commercials, the crap, the DJs...I've got my CDs and my mp3 player - why in the heck would I torture myself? At this point, even if I liked 10% of the stuff on the radio, that's 90% that I don't...

I understand the "I want Clay to get his fair share of EVERYTHING" mentality - because it floats through my little brain as well. But unless he got paid for it, radio play is just way down on my list. Now concert sellouts? I'm down with that.

The thing I have for relating artist's non performance stuff with the support of their art is that at heart, I'm a cynic. I believe there are very few people running around that haven't done at least one thing I would find sinful, or shameful or bad. But how long do you hold it against them? Is there an opportunity for redemption? What about the ones whos naughtiness just hasn't been exposed to light? I'm not saying there aren't lines to be drawn (not only am I cynical, but I'm judgmental too!) but how consistant should we be? Johnny Cash was not a nice man on so many levels...I could see me duelling Wagner to the death...and would require 70 million wet wipes for my hands if I ever accidentally touched Keith Richards. But in general, like couchie, their behaviour doesn't affect my enjoyment of their art - because I've never thought of these people as any sort of role models for me or anyone I know.

IMO ATDW fit AC radio...I do believe if Clay and RCA wanted that path for him...they could've pushed for radio. BUT I have a feeling Clay didn;t want to get his first big hits with covers. Maybe he didn't want to follow Rod and Barry's path and if ATDW became a mainstream hit then the danger is that he will be put in the same box as Micheal Buble and it will be more difficult for him to set his own path.

I really think the fans ought to be more patient. Clay has never put out a CD that was essentially his. MOAM and ATDW were limited by what Clive wanted so how can we say whether his sound would fit radio or not. I am really excited about this coming CD cos if things move along the way he wants then we may finally have a glimpse of what Clay truly likes. Will it be radio friendly...I admit that part of me wants that too but if not then there are other avenues for Clay.

Liney...did Clay ever say he knew BFM was radio friendly? I know fans thought so but that does not mean he thought it was. I like BFM enough and it seem more radio friendly than his other songs but that does not mean program directors would think so. I remember asking my daughter about it and she wasn't really impressed and thought it sounded old so I don;t really know if it would;ve been a radio hit if he recorded it.

WORD ldyJ...

its not all about the money...it is a start. If the label won't invest for it to be heard when it first comes out it would never have a chance. But not every song on the radio resonates with people. Kelly's Never Again had a lot of radio play for a bit but it died an early death because it didn't get the right response from the listeners. SO there comes a point when its all about the song. So I am with ldyJ ...if its in his fate to have a huge hit, then the right song will come at the right time.

Interrupting all the discussion with a very serious topic....thread titles.

Yes, thread titles can happen to YOU!

Anyway, I think we've only got 4 suggestions so far (that I can see, anyway....):

Buy Clay Aiken because it's a top of the line brand.

Circumstances and dynamics spun together into pure electricity

Bring it Aiken! And if it turns out to be a total cheese boat I'm ready to sail with ya'!

"Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

If you have any other ideas, post them soon! I'll probably put up the poll tonight or tomorrow morning.

See, of COURSE I'd rather have concert sell-outs than radio play...but I ALSO want radio play. Intellectually, I know I should be grateful for what I have...but...yeah, there's that but.

Here's how it goes at my house with a 14 year old and 16 year old...we listen to the radio in the car and that's just about it. Flipping between 94.5 (garage band stuff), 96.5 (A/C), 99 (easy listening), 106.9 (oldies), and 104.1 (lots of rap)...mostly the first two. In the mornings, it's usually stupid DJ chatter or the same old same old...so out come the ipods on the wireless (play through the radio). However, riding around, when we happen to hear a song we like on the radio, it promptly gets downloaded at home from iTunes. Or, they go look the artist up and if they like the rest of the album, we buy the actual cd. Aside from their friend's ipods, the other place my kids hear new music is on YouTube or elsewhere on the internet. In fact, I'd say their music choices are more strongly influenced from the internet than from the radio.

BUT...whether on the internet or the radio...they must first HEAR the song before they know they like it enough to go buy it. THAT'S why I want radio play.

Well...that...and the satisfaction of hearing that Asshat Sam Malone (and other Asshatians) announcing and playing Clay Aiken.

I don't know how much say Clay has on how much a Single is pushed to the radio, if he doesn't even have a say in which song will be a Single.

Frankly, I don't think RCA liked ATDW. I think they wanted him to sing the Covers straight, and not rework them and that may be why they wern't really pushed to the radio. Kelly only had a songs sorta pushed to the radio. I wonder if it is a contractual issue that they have to push 2 songs to radio? I agree with JennaZ, it has to be a song that fits the format and RCA has to have faith in the song. I think if they like it and think it will get play, they will push harder. Of course I could be talking out of my ass too. Clay seems to want radio-play and seems to be trying to have a hipper sound for the next CD. I hope for Clay that he achieves everything he wants. I am real curious on what this new sound is going to be.

KAndre, I don't look to Singers or Actors to be Role Models...but when their behavior is so OTT it really does color my perception of them and interferes with my enjoyment of any product they put out.

I think in order for Clay to sell out concerts again, he is going to have to have some type of radio-play. I don't think he needs to be #1....but he needs some play.

KAndre :preachit: Radio way down on my list... First is that people will actually listen to Clay with fresh ears and judge him accordingly. Then if they don't like it, I can live with it.

Ansa ..Oh I'm patient... and I do think it will happen. Clay will find his niche!!

I heard the call out was horrible for Kelly's songs. If that's true why would RCA continue to pay for it? I can see doing the initial push or maybe taking a song from 13 to top 10? But to actually buy it all the way from 100 to one? That doesn't make good business sense.

I'd be happy if Clay got airplay like he got for Invisible. Doesn't take much to please me. I think both The Way (which he wanted I think) and I will carry you were both poor choices for singles and Solitaire definitely didn't fit radio but what do I know. NOTHING LOL.

IMO ATDW fit AC radio...I do believe if Clay and RCA wanted that path for him...they could've pushed for radio. BUT I have a feeling Clay didn;t want to get his first big hits with covers. Maybe he didn't want to follow Rod and Barry's path and if ATDW became a mainstream hit then the danger is that he will be put in the same box as Micheal Buble and it will be more difficult for him to set his own path.

I really think the fans ought to be more patient. Clay has never put out a CD that was essentially his. MOAM and ATDW were limited by what Clive wanted so how can we say whether is sound would fit radio or not. I am really excited about this coming CD cos if things move along the way he wants then we may finally have a glimpse of what Clay truly likes. Will it be radio friendly...I admit that part of me wants that too but if not then there are other avenues for Clay.

OMG. I know we don't 'word' people much around here, so could I just offer to drink some wine in your honor?!? (ok, I would have probably killed the bottle anyhow, but it's the thought that counts, right?)

I have always thought the reason ATDW wasn't promoted to radio heavily was for this exact reason, because Clay didn't want to become known as another cover artist. I know it's all conjecture, but that's what my gut has always told me.

I am very excited about the upcoming CD. I want to hear what Clay feels is his 'kind of music,' at least at this point and time in his career. I think some other wise person here said the same thing, I think he's on a journey and I imagine he'll visit a few interesting places musically before he finds home.

I guess I must the weird one in the family around here, because if I had a choice of Clay on the radio vs. Clay in concert -- I'd pick Clay on my TV on a regular basis. While TV is going through the same growing pains, in a way, that radio is (see: current writer's strike), I think the possibilities for promotion are much bigger on TV. TV audiences are shrinking, sure, but they still are larger than the number of radio spins (I think -- talking out of our asses seems to be a theme today *g*). I also think that TV showcases Clay's PERSONALITY way more than a radio song EVER will. Or, to use 00lsee's analogy, if a Clay song gets picked up by a hit TV show, the iPod downloads will likely follow. I know, I know...the risks are greater too, but I feel the reward could be just as sweet, if not sweeter.

Can you tell I'm much more of a TV junkie than a radio junkie? *g*

I think he's on a journey and I imagine he'll visit a few interesting places musically before he finds home.

laughn -- would you like some wine? 'Cause I'm buying for that statement. WORD! *g*

Oh how I would love it if I could hear clay singing over my favorite tv shows The Practice. My favorite male in theory red head singing for my favorite female redhead. swoooooon. I'm with you on the tv thing LdyJ. Definitely part of the new wave.

And I'd be thrilled for any permanent tv gig. I won't be one upset that it interferes with his pop stardom.