#21: "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay really is a smorgasbord of yummy goodness. Can I have the drumstick, please?
    • He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.
    • I want to be Clay Aiken when I grow up.
    • In this concert's solemn setting, he IS joy.
    • Clay's voice is his niche.
    • Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.
    • And two weeks ago, I didn't know who Clay Aiken was
    • Ahhhh.....like the first little snowflakes of the season, the first little lip bites of the holiday concerts are just as beautiful...
    • He is who he is and that is what the world gets.. the real Clay.
    • My fangirly is in full blush, yo!
    • He has thrown down a gauntlet, and dared us to pick it up.
    • Sigh, guh, thud, swoon, wonderstruck, overwhelmed, floored, astounded!

Pumpkin Pie Cake? YUM....recipe please.

I was invited to my students "Thanksgiving Feast" at one of our middle schools yesterday. These guys function a bit lower than their peers so this was a huge thing. They went out with their teachers and bought the groceries, had to decide which was a better sale, etc. OMG, you should have seen them...they were SO proud and SO excited.

They fed all the teachers, paras, janitors, administration, SpEd directors, BD consultants(Me)....it was SO much fun.

They had turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, buns, sweet potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, and two types of pie.

They each had on "hair hats" and plastic gloves. It was a HOOT!!

I was as excited as they were, I think.

KAndre carefully writes down "Takotsubo cardiomyopathy" as a new absence excuse for the office...

I like working the day before Thanksgiving! It adds weight to the "oh, so sorry...can't cook anything for Thanksgiving! I'll just come to your house and eat. I'll bring the dinner rolls in the paper box!"

BTW, anybody have a good recipe for Apple Brown Betty? I have no idea why my child has decided he wants that for dessert for the one meal I will cook him while he's home - he claims I made it once before but he is clearly psychotic...

KAndre - I was going to say maybe you should ask whose ABB he had that he liked, and call that person for the recipe! But if that's not possible - did you know that "Apple Crisp" is basically the same thing?

HERE'S a recipe for Apple Crisp - and you can go one easier by substituting Comstock Apple Pie Filling if you don't want to cut up apples.

cindilu and toots - thanks for the kudos on the banner!!

You got a recipe for a good stuffing with apples and such?

Open a box of Stovetop stuffing, prepare according to the directions on the box, and add a cup or so of chopped honeycrisp (or your other apple of choice), and Voila!

Y'all need to realize my family thrives on boxed, instant and canned. Tomorrow my mom will be fixing instant mashed potatoes with gravy out of a jar, the stuffing comes out of a box, and the cranberry sauce slithers out of a can. And I can't wait want to plow my way through all those goodies and spend my afternoon trying to snooze off the turkey coma. Good times!

muski and bottle - Stovetop Stuffing gives me heartburn!! If you want to skip the packaged stuff, just stick a few hot dog buns in the food processor, add some melted butter, onion, celery, salt, pepper and sage, and a chopped apple or two. Yummy Southern style stuffing!!

You guys with the recipes are cracking me up, especially you bottle. heee. Hey, whatever works. I'll be going home and cooking the works tonight. Hopefully my mom will help out but she's under the weather too. But my stuffing (cornbread!!) and mac and cheese...they'd string me up if I didn't cook them. I'm not good at recipes because I work with what I have for the most part and don't do the measurement thing. I just know LOL. We are trying some sort of green bean receipe thingie this year. We don't normally do that as our veggie of choice is collard greens.

But our new tradition - this will be year 2 - is making the cranberry sauce. That's the one thing we've always just bought canned but it turned out well last year.

great banner cha cha!

My mom was talking about brining a turkey..I'm going..what the hell is that. She's been watching the food network lately.

Anybody have a good ham glaze.

I think the last time I used frozen orange juice and brown sugar. hee. But I was tired of my pineapple/brown sugar combo.

So now he's 'co-winner' with Ruben. Well allllllllllright!

Clipped this from a transcript after watching it on Countdown with Keith Olbermann on Monday night. Olbermann was interviewing NYC DJ Maria Milito about the Idolization of American music in the aftermath of the AMAs:

OLBERMANN: What happened to that big guy? Is he still in the business?

MILITO: Which one?

OLBERMANN: The big guy who didn‘t win. Studdard.

MILITO: Ruben. I don't know.

Ruben's gone from winner, to co-winner, to the big guy who didn't win.

Brining is the ONLY way to go for a turkey. After I did one, my husband told me that I was never to roast a turkey without brining it first ever again. (For those who don't know, the process involves soaking your turkey in a broth/salt water mixture for several hours. No, it doesn't make the meat salty, it just makes it very moist....) The only thing is that it adds a few hours to your prep time.

jj, I don't have the recipe in front of me, but Pumpkin Pie Cake is basically a pumpkin pie filling made up (canned pumpkin, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk and spices) and poured into a 9x13 pan. Then you dump on top a box of yellow cake mix, followed immediately by a stick and a half of melted butter. Bake. Yummy good. I'll pull the recipe tonight.

Boy, am I glad I just ate lunch. I'd be getting way hungry if I were ya'll.

Wow. Ruben as "the guy who didn't win." Wow.

Forgot to thank cha cha trusty for the cute cute cute banner!

While waiting for the tow truck to come take the family car to the car hospital, muski reads and rereads what 'brining a turkey' is and wonders if her modest Butterball thawing in the fridge is a candidate for such treatment... :unsure:

Ha! I just reread my paragraph and immediately thought of some stupid smut remark about Clay's butterball not being so modest..l

Whoops! AAA towtruck is here! Later, ladies! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Here is the Pumking Pie Cake:

Crust:

1(2 layer size) box yellow cake mix(reserve 1 cup)

1/2 cup (1stick) margarine - very soft

1 egg

Filling:

1 large can pumpkin

3 eggs

2/3 c evaporated milk

2tsp cinnamon

1 cup sugar

Topping:

1 cup reserved cake mix

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup margarine, softened

1 cup chopped pecans

Mix crust ingredients and press into 13x9 inch baking pan. Mix filling ingredients and pour over crusts. Mix cake mix, sugar, and margarine together until crumble; sprinkle over filling. Sprinkle pecans on top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Serve warm with whipp topping.

I also have a great Sweet potato casserole recipe if any one is interested. That is what I am taking to my son's tomorrow along with green bean casserole.

a0d04fb8.gif

Happy birthday, Cotton.

Love Love Love the dragon! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I was wondering ..why am I in the shower singing the joy of cotton commerical ]
heh

I was invited to my students "Thanksgiving Feast" at one of our middle schools yesterday. These guys function a bit lower than their peers so this was a huge thing. They went out with their teachers and bought the groceries, had to decide which was a better sale, etc. OMG, you should have seen them...they were SO proud and SO excited.

They fed all the teachers, paras, janitors, administration, SpEd directors, BD consultants(Me)....it was SO much fun.

They had turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, buns, sweet potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, and two types of pie.

They each had on "hair hats" and plastic gloves. It was a HOOT!!

I was as excited as they were, I think.

Awww! That sounds great! How nice of whoever gave them this opportunity to accomplish such a wonderful thing!

That is the meaning of Thanksgiving!

Thanks for all the Birthday Wishes!!

I shared my birthday for most of my life.

Mama and Daddy were married on Daddy's birthday. Then I was a C-Section and when the doc asked Mama when she wanted to schedule delivery, it was around Daddy's b'day, so, she picked today.

So November 21st was Daddy's birthday, Mama and Daddy's Anniversary and my birthday!

Busy day in the Cotton household.

So it's kind of odd for it to my just MY day! :)

gbmifan, I've seen that version of Pumpkin Pie Cake too, but if you saw my post above (and frankly, if you skimmed it, that's OK with me...), you'll see mine takes the "crust" part out entirely. For some reason, I like the "mix-pour" version of mine better.

It's raining like a son-of-a-gun here today, and it's supposed to snow flurry tonight. *sigh* As long as the weather is good for travel to St. Louis next week for me, I'll be happy. (I'm having Waukegan 2006 flashbacks...)

I am a crust lover but both are very good.

It is also raining like crazy here in Michigan and turning to snow tonight. It is over 2 hrs to Kalamazoo and not looking forward to the drive if the roads are bad. Last year was bad for you guys on the first two nights. I got lucky, when Grand Rapids came around it was beautiful and in the 40's. In 2004 into Detroit was 10 inches of snow. Luckily my husband drove me and my mother and dropped us off, and went shopping while we were in the concert. All my mother keeps reminding me was it was 10 degrees that night and I was trying to freeze her when looking for the van afterwards.

I started a recipe thread here to collect all the nummies we seem to be posting lately. aikim, wasn't it you who posted a few recipes earlier? If you could find those and post them in the thread, that would be great.

Yep....gbmifan, after having to give up fantastic seats and the preparty for the Waukegan show due to weather last year, I'm just hoping that the weather holds for all of us the next few weeks.

*waves to Kareneh*

It's lonely here at the top...

:04: Happy Birthday, Cotton!!!

:laola0:

I LOVED that skating blurb. Clay was doing better than he showed at the taping. I don't think he really needed those girls on his arms to keep him upright, but I bet he enjoyed it. :cryingwlaughter:

Leaving work at 3pm to do errands and then bake 4 pumpkin pies. I'm doing one organic for my very health conscious friends... my first time, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Muski... good luck with the car... and the sick one!

ldyj... good luck with your weather and to all those to whom weather is a possible problem!

Ruben gets described in as many different ways as Clay regarding AI. lol I guess a lot of people really don't remember who won and who lost... just that they were both in the finale. I remember and no longer think it matters.

I hope someone can rip that skating video... it was seriously CUTE! :cryingwlaughter:

That skating video is....

Wait for it......

Wait for it.......

CUTE!!!!!

And surprisingly, the ice didn't melt.

I do wish the camera had panned a bit lower though when he was trying to stretch. *g* (And I loved his comment after that...."OK, I'm done for the day.")

OTOH...why was he wearing a TIE?!?!?

While waiting for the tow truck to come take the family car to the car hospital, muski reads and rereads what 'brining a turkey' is and wonders if her modest Butterball thawing in the fridge is a candidate for such treatment... :unsure:

Ha! I just reread my paragraph and immediately thought of some stupid smut remark about Clay's butterball not being so modest.

which one?!?

bootay.jpg

turkeyboy.jpg

Evening All,

Cold, rainy, chance of snow...yep, November in Chicago...just yuck! Heading down to my MIL's tomorrow for dinner...two hour drive, eat dinner, visit for awhile and then a 2 hour drive back so hubby can go to sleep and then get up at Midnight to go to work...always a long, tiring day but it is good to see the family.

Bottlecap Love the recipes! I am a make it from scratch girl myself; but I am not too proud to use box mixes and it wouldn't be Thanksgiving if the cranberry sauce didn't have lines on it! :cryingwlaughter:

ldj Thanks for starting the Recipe Forum, I'll dig up those recipes and post them!

Kim