#21: "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay really is a smorgasbord of yummy goodness. Can I have the drumstick, please?
    • He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.
    • I want to be Clay Aiken when I grow up.
    • In this concert's solemn setting, he IS joy.
    • Clay's voice is his niche.
    • Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.
    • And two weeks ago, I didn't know who Clay Aiken was
    • Ahhhh.....like the first little snowflakes of the season, the first little lip bites of the holiday concerts are just as beautiful...
    • He is who he is and that is what the world gets.. the real Clay.
    • My fangirly is in full blush, yo!
    • He has thrown down a gauntlet, and dared us to pick it up.
    • Sigh, guh, thud, swoon, wonderstruck, overwhelmed, floored, astounded!

The album I did the last time was an album of love songs from the '70s, '80s and '90s. This will be new music, new songs that will become signature songs. Am I the only one who interpreted this as meaning that this new music will be in a style similar to the songs on ATDW? I don't mean all schmaltzy ballads, but rather in feel and style.

He also said last Summer that he was going for a different "Sound" for this CD...so no I don't think it is going to be like ATDW.

Whatever he puts out, I think, will be uniquely Clay.

I honestly don;t remember him saying that. Can you refresh my memory? Cos my impression was he was determined to get new material...don't remember him saying anything about the "sound".

Oooooooooooooooheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How does Clay know these things?

He is such a sweetie!!!!!

Maybe I'll finally get to wear that little black dress, hysterical.gif with my black ski mask that is.

:tongue57:

What??? Black is very slimming, y'all...

hide2.gif

The album I did the last time was an album of love songs from the '70s, '80s and '90s. This will be new music, new songs that will become signature songs. Am I the only one who interpreted this as meaning that this new music will be in a style similar to the songs on ATDW? I don't mean all schmaltzy ballads, but rather in feel and style.

He also said last Summer that he was going for a different "Sound" for this CD...so no I don't think it is going to be like ATDW.

I honestly don;t remember him saying that. Can you refresh my memory? Cos my impression was he was determined to get new material...don't remember him saying anything about the "sound".

It was either in a M&G Report or a Blog. I am not going to wade through all the M&G Reports and the OFC won't let me in anymore to read his Blogs. The OFC logs me in but if I go anywhere it logs me out..and yes I have tried other Search Engines.

It was regarding the Producer for the new CD. He said that he was looking for a Producer to produce this new Sound...and they had asked him/her to submit samples of what they would do with this Sound.

I have no idea what kind of Sound it is....I believe he said something to the effect about being more hip but still credible.

Personal Opinion...I think Clay's taste in music is very eceletic...I do think he likes the big ballads...but I also think he likes to rock out. [Which is not the same as being a Rock Star]. I do find it interesting is that Clay said the only song he never gets tired of singing is Invisible.

::merrieeee frantically searches her closet for that little black leather number she has...oh here's the whip, now where is the mask??? ::

Oh wait I didn't enter the competition! Ah well a girl can dream!

I don't remember anything about a new "sound" either. He just didn't want another covers album as far as I can remember. Besides, the same feel and style as ATDW doesn't mean the exact same "sound" as ATDW.

But then again, I am one who believes Clay liked ATDW and it reflected a lot of who he is musically. He just didn't like doing so many covers. (And this from someone who didn't particularly care for ATDW)

::merrieeee frantically searches her closet for that little black leather number she has...oh here's the whip, now where is the mask??? ::

Oh wait I didn't enter the competition! Ah well a girl can dream!

You mean something like this? :thdom2:

But then again, I am one who believes Clay liked ATDW and it reflected a lot of who he is musically. He just didn't like doing so many covers. (And this from someone who didn't particularly care for ATDW)

I think ATDW reflected a part of who Clay is musically. The Covers he has chosen to sing in Concert, show at least to me...a guy that is much more than just ballads. jmo.

And I like ATDW...I just think we are going to see more variety in tempo and a more modern approach. But Clay will always be about the lyric and the melody. Just please NO spinning balls. *g*

oh....I've never doubted this.... B)

ever :hubbahubba:

I'm so bummed that I didn't enter this contest now. I definitely have something black to wear...black is my friend. heh.

ETA: At risk of breaking rules about bringing quotes from blogs, I really MUST comment on him telling us about a woman "coming down hard on" him....

whoa....

whoa...

just whoa. :Thud:

Clay said in a meet in greet he was looking for a contemporary sound.

I very rarely wear black. I was never allowed to own blackas a chid (it was an old lady color and children should not wear it) and so, Ihave some blackfor funerals, but not anything all black. perhaps we have to hum a few bars of "if I were invisible" as we walk out ofthe darkness to read our stories. Oh, that's right, I don't have to worry,I didn't put my name in my e-mail

Oh I remember that now...But I thought he said they were looking for a particular sound...not necessarily a different sound. I seem to remember he wanted something more contemporary. Now I happen to think that he was starting this process with ATDW, he was already experimenting in a way. The only problem is...he was doing it with songs that have a certain history so its tough to really make it very contemporary.

I think once he announces the producer he is using...we will get a better view of how this new CD will be. I am open for anything of course. I would be thrilled if it would be more alt rock...hee. I am really going to be happy if he has some rocking up tempo songs and even if he comes out with some dance music. I just don;t think he would be going that far. I just wonder if fans who are putting so much hope in this CD will be able to accept it if he still has majority ballads and does not stray too far from what he is used to singing?

A. When they talk about direction, I don't ever know what that means. I hope anything I do will just be Clay Aiken. I won't do an album where I'm doing stuff people won't recognize as me. The album I did the last time was an album of love songs from the '70s, '80s and '90s. This will be new music, new songs that will become signature songs. They'll stand up against some of the mess in the market nowadays.

Honestly, I think this can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. I do think he's saying that he's not going in a radically different direction (i.e., not punk rock). However, whether this means an MOAM/ATDW sound or something a little different is still anyone's guess. His previous statement about wanting a producer who would "make me a little more hip without trying too hard" suggests to me that he may be trying to broaden his appeal somewhat.

I do find it entirely plausible that the covers album was a way to get an album out quickly when a first set of songs were rejected. I don't know if he was necessarily promised more control. My suspicion is that what may have changed was the method of approval. Instead of waiting until he'd completed an entire album before submitting it, he may be seeking approval on a song by song basis, so that he wouldn't waste time on material the label wouldn't accept. We've heard that two songs have already passed muster. He's also talked about "being on the same page." Perhaps he and the label have come together creatively, finding a sound that suits them both.

Will Clay ever be "popular" in the sense that Justin Timberlake or Kanye West are? Maybe, maybe not. However, I do think it's possible that with the right songs, he could gain new fans without alienating his old ones.

Ansa, I think he did do some experimenting on ATDW. Look at BW. And that was his idea. Its kind of new-agey. Very contemporary. I suspect there will be more of tempo variety on the next album, but I truly do not expect anything that could be remotely called rock and dance music?? I don't think so!

In my dream world we would get a lot of green-eyed soul, a bit of BW type new-age, and a great big ballad or two for old times sake.

I gotta sneak in before the day's over to wish Cotton a Happy Birthday!!!

:bday:

I love how Clay's blogs are so conversational, like he was writing to a good friend. The blogs make me feel happy, even though I never submitted a story!

But Clay sweetie, please also make sure Clique sends out info to meet & greet winners, too!

ARGHEEHHAFHalfkjas;foiuqawepoirf a;kf;

I'm FINISHED. All my deadlines - MET! God! I'm so sick of working! China... India... Timezones... Boston... Ack! I'm only one little me, people!

And now...

Four glorious days to do whatever the hell I want. Well, that's after I go to my sister's and get bossed around for the day tomorrow. Then... I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

So, Clay... Call me. I can help you with your emissions submissions. ;)

Happy Birthday Cotton! :fest09: And hello to everyone. I've certainly missed being the board junkie that I've become. I've never been this far behind, like ever. I've actually only skimmed all my favorite places. Eep!

:fca:

:coolchicken:

:rainbowsmile:

For Rohdy:

Kalamazoo Communities In Schools.com

Current News

Books to honor Clay Aiken's Birthday

Clay Aiken, the runner-up for the 2003 American Idol, is coming to Miller Auditorium to present a Clay Aiken Christmas with the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra. The concert is scheduled for Friday, November 30 – Clay Aiken’s 29th birthday.

To honor his birthday, fans are donating children’s books to Kalamazoo Communities In Schools. This gift combines Clay’s commitment to children with the resources of KCIS and its strong involvement in the Kalamazoo Public Schools. Clay graduated with a degree in special education from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and has created the Bubel/Aiken Foundation –“which supports the integration of children with disabilities into the life environment of their non-disabled peers.”

:)

For Rohdy:

Kalamazoo Communities In Schools.com

Current News

Books to honor Clay Aiken's Birthday

Clay Aiken, the runner-up for the 2003 American Idol, is coming to Miller Auditorium to present a Clay Aiken Christmas with the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra. The concert is scheduled for Friday, November 30 – Clay Aiken’s 29th birthday.

To honor his birthday, fans are donating children’s books to Kalamazoo Communities In Schools. This gift combines Clay’s commitment to children with the resources of KCIS and its strong involvement in the Kalamazoo Public Schools. Clay graduated with a degree in special education from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and has created the Bubel/Aiken Foundation –“which supports the integration of children with disabilities into the life environment of their non-disabled peers.”

:)

And to think I am a product of the Kalamazoo Public Schools!

(Not sure they would want that publicized......)

Cotton, Happy Birthday to You! :rainbowsmile:

Videos of skating with Sasha, and a radio interview ... such a NIGHT!!!! So ... Clay says he wouldn't put out an album that didn't sound like Clay Aiken. That eliminates absolutely nothing. CG, I don't think there's any reason to believe that Clay's going after another album of slo-o-o-o-o-o-o-w, lou-ou-ou-ou-ou-oud songs. Breathe, honey! After what he's performed in seven tours, it's obvious to me that whatever Clay sings sounds like Clay, and among the songs he's performed night after night are Invisible, Rosanna, Jailhouse Rock, Measure of a Man, Great Balls of Fire, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Livin' La Vida Loca, You Were There, Opposites Attract, Yeah, OPP, 1999, SexyBack, and The Way You Make Me Feel. It all sounds exactly like Clay to me, whatever it is. The difference seems to be that Clay wants HIS contemporary songs to mean something, to satisfy him, and apparently he's succeeding since he's already claiming them as his signature songs. All right!!! Hot Damn!!!!!

The one thing he has told us about this new producer is that he's eclectic. And I think Clay mentioned that because it's a big part of what he was looking for in a producer, and also why he's not defining a musical direction. He doesn't have to. I think he's going to be all over the place ... right where he belongs. He's not being forced to limit himself to a style or definition, to that dastardly niche I keep hearing about. Clay's voice is his niche. That's the beauty of the thing.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!! I'm cooking for 19 tomorrow .... now back to the kitchen at midnight to take a cherry pie out of the oven.

I don't think he has to give up ballads to have a more contemporary sound. There are actually quite a few highly successful ballads on the charts.

Take a recent favorite of mine, "Hey There, Delilah" by Plain White T's. Very simple song, but very earnest. Lover All Alone isn't that different. I could see those words having broad appeal, especially with younger listeners who feel they haven't found "The One," and who hope they will. However, LAL is arranged with piano and violins, which is beautiful, but a little less hip. If he were to use more of a guitar arrangement, his voice could still stay front and center, but the song might have a somewhat more contemporary feel.

I don't see Clay as a rock star. However, I do think that there is a way to make his music appeal to a broader audience without obscuring his voice or abandoning his creative center. IMHO, it's not necessarily about fast songs vs. slow songs. It's more about the arrangement and production, about finding the right sound.

Happy Birthday Cotton!

Nice news item on the book drive!

Well, I didn't really have "engaging my brain" on the agenda tonight. I just wanted to indulge in a few little delusional thoughts about black uh....back stage christmas instructions, and long pre-concert rehearsals, and a..nunciation and :music-smiley-023: stuff like that.

But dang it all, 'keepingfaith', you always make me sit up and take notice!

So ... Clay says he wouldn't put out an album that didn't sound like Clay Aiken. That eliminates absolutely nothing. CG, I don't think there's any reason to believe that Clay's going after another album of slo-o-o-o-o-o-o-w, lou-ou-ou-ou-ou-oud songs. Breathe, honey! After what he's performed in seven tours, it's obvious to me that whatever Clay sings sounds like Clay, and among the songs he's performed night after night are Invisible, Rosanna, Jailhouse Rock, Measure of a Man, Great Balls of Fire, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Livin' La Vida Loca, You Were There, Opposites Attract, Yeah, OPP, 1999, SexyBack, and The Way You Make Me Feel. It all sounds exactly like Clay to me, whatever it is. The difference seems to be that Clay wants HIS contemporary songs to mean something, to satisfy him, and apparently he's succeeding since he's already claiming them as his signature songs. All right!!! Hot Damn!!!!!

I think he's going to be all over the place ... right where he belongs. He's not being forced to limit himself to a style or definition, to that dastardly niche I keep hearing about. Clay's voice is his niche. That's the beauty of the thing.

(Bolding done of kf's post done by zena)

I didn't know what my musical direction was until Clay Aiken sang it.

And that is my expert opinion.... hee.

:deepersnow:

I don't think he has to give up ballads to have a more contemporary sound. There are actually quite a few highly successful ballads on the charts.

Take a recent favorite of mine, "Hey There, Delilah" by Plain White T's. Very simple song, but very earnest. Lover All Alone isn't that different. I could see those words having broad appeal, especially with younger listeners who feel they haven't found "The One," and who hope they will. However, LAL is arranged with piano and violins, which is beautiful, but a little less hip. If he were to use more of a guitar arrangement, his voice could still stay front and center, but the song might have a somewhat more contemporary feel.

I don't see Clay as a rock star. However, I do think that there is a way to make his music appeal to a broader audience without obscuring his voice or abandoning his creative center. IMHO, it's not necessarily about fast songs vs. slow songs. It's more about the arrangement and production, about finding the right sound.

WORD, my friend! You said what I was trying quite unsuccessfully to say.

And on that note, I must go to bed.

When it comes to Clay's music I'm with wandacleo. I can honestly say the only song I never want to hear again from Clay is Mandy. So unless the album is 12 versions of Mandy I'm good. I'm pretty sure I'll get a few slow grooves from Clay but I'm also pretty sure there will be a variety of tempos. He seems excited about his project and that's all that matters to me.

I think the reason why so many people put their own wants and expectations into every word he says is because it's been 5 years and Clay has never really clearly defined himself. Now we see he mocks that very idea LOL. I definitely hope there is something similar in style to BW..I love that song beyond all reason.

So, nothing like going to the trashed grocery store at 10pm on the night before thanksgiving trying to get the 5 things for the pumpkin pie cake that you don't have. I almost cried because there was no yellow cake..I wondered if butter cake would work equally as well...but I found one lone box. Then this canned pumpkin of which you speak... I searched high and low and all I found was pumpkin pie mix in a can so that's what I bought. I hope this turns out ok ... I'm sensing a disaster in the making.

Happy Thanksgiving!! Lots to be thankful for this evening. Family. Friends. Health (well except for the fungi I have right now )...oh and the laptop with the 17" widescreen monitor that will be arriving at my door sometime next week YAY BRO!! I thank goodness for all of you. What a year it's been since last thanksgiving..that's the time when FCA really came together as our own little home. Back then it took 2 months to get through a thread. Toots, you asked today..normally now it takes 2 to 2 1/2 weeks depending on what's going on with Clay and each other. And it's been so wonderful meeting so many CLay fans that I'd never met before even though we've all been on this parallel ride together. Anyway, enjoy your day among friends. I'l be around a little bit in the morning but then out all day tomorrow with family.

ETA: Jenna..what a great post.....and I agree whole heartedly!!

So, nothing like going to the trashed grocery store at 10pm on the night before thanksgiving trying to get the 5 things for the pumpkin pie cake that you don't have. I almost cried because there was no yellow cake..I wondered if butter cake would work equally as well...but I found one lone box. Then this canned pumpkin of which you speak... I searched high and low and all I found was pumpkin pie mix in a can so that's what I bought. I hope this turns out ok ... I'm sensing a disaster in the making.

I've done a lot of baking with cake mixes, and it's my experience that when you're adding strong flavors (like pumpkin), you can substitute butter cake, French vanilla, or even white cake for yellow without too much of a change in taste. In fact, in your case, I think you could have even used a spice cake mix and it might have worked well with the pumpkin. But I'm glad you found your lone box.

Gee, you people havebeen so productive and creative with your recipes, and so brilliant with your cd musings. All I could do is read while the pots are going on the stove and hope nothing boiled over while I was visiting Clayland.

What a day of riches we've had! One beautiful piece of clack after another. My favorite came today in his interview when he said:

I thought doing five shows a week was something. Now I'm going to be doing eight shows a week.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee!!! I live in New York and he's going to do MATINEES. How great is THAT??? Many stars opt out of them, finding the eight shows too demanding. But he said eight shows and that means more chances to see the show. Am just tickled.

The CD news is very encouraging, too. Hard to know where he's going, but one thing is certain...where ever it is, I am SO there!!!

bottlecap, is that really a recipe for the apple betty thingy? 'coss it sure sounds GREAT, warm with some soft vanilla ice cream on the side? I may just try it.

Remember the pineapple salad? Many of us snubbed our noses at that one, but guess what? Have made that thing about five times for different people and they eat it 'till it's finished. Every.Single.Time. Am down to only quarter cup of sugar and that's quite enough. But I am truly amazed at the discerning individuals who can't resist the thing. LOL. Been fun to watch when they ask what's in it and then find out the ingredients. Nope, they can't believe they liked it either...lol.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FCA!!

I had a few minutes today to make a new wallpaper

it's supposed to be Widescreen, but it looks a little off to me!

(Photoshop lied to me!!)

BTW - speaking of Photoshop - the thread is NOT DEAD!!!

I'm just trying to think of something new to write about....

Anyhow - I made this for YOU.....

skate-WPws-sm.jpg

and you can get the full sized one HERE

off to read Clay's BLOG!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: