#21: "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay really is a smorgasbord of yummy goodness. Can I have the drumstick, please?
    • He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.
    • I want to be Clay Aiken when I grow up.
    • In this concert's solemn setting, he IS joy.
    • Clay's voice is his niche.
    • Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.
    • And two weeks ago, I didn't know who Clay Aiken was
    • Ahhhh.....like the first little snowflakes of the season, the first little lip bites of the holiday concerts are just as beautiful...
    • He is who he is and that is what the world gets.. the real Clay.
    • My fangirly is in full blush, yo!
    • He has thrown down a gauntlet, and dared us to pick it up.
    • Sigh, guh, thud, swoon, wonderstruck, overwhelmed, floored, astounded!

He's back -- talking about who he's in contact with on Idol. Kelly, Ruben (who is doing something for UNICEF) and maybe KLo. Likens it to high school -- "who do you still keep in contact with in high school anymore really?"

Mom is going along with him on the UNICEF trip. And then he goes to Spamalot directly from there.

Asked if there was a restaurant in his future -- KLo has one, Ruben has one. He say "no, no, no -- but I'll be in lots of them in New York!!"

And that's it. Done.

I do think there is a tendency in the fandom for some to project their feelings on to Clay...Because fan A is feeling sad, depressed, etc. about something whether it be ATDW promotion, RCA, gnatty stuff...than Clay must be feeling that too. I think Clay is a lot stronger than some give him credit for...I am sure he has gotten pretty angry about stuff in the past couple of years, but I don't think he obsesses over it or let's it take over his life...I think he is very good at picking his battles and has probably learned the fine art of compromise; especially with RCA.

Kim

I agree with this. Clay is not obsessing over all that stuff. I think it is only just a handful of fans who do. But boy howdy, does that handful make a big noise and grate on my very last nerve. :cryingwlaughter: Yes, I realize that I, too, get on some people's last nerve........*grin* Waves at my groupies. HaHaHa....

Somebody help me out. Someone posted a link to an article about how the internet is having a negative effect on celebrities. I can't find it. Was it on this board? I'd like to read it. I forgot to bookmark it, so that I could when I had time. Thanks!

I guess when I'm talking about Clay putting a stop to Clack gathering, I mean that he will put a "no cameras allowed" policy in effect at his concerts. Now I know that he really can't stop all clack gathering. No artist can, but he can make it harder by not allowing cameras, and ejecting violators from the venue.

I have wondered clayzor if a lot of these AOL previews of CDs actually hurt sales. The fans that will buy an artists product do not need a sneak peak. But several times..I have been turned off by a full album that had one or two songs I liked. So I do not buy the CD...I just dl it.

I agree Ansamcw. I have experienced the same thing listening to other artists full cd. Mostly filler with just a couple of good songs on it. It has to hurt their sales.

Ansamcw wrote:

When it comes to you tube and clack...as much as clack sells tickets, I also think that as a fandom we are getting more and more used to them that I can see some fans may have been less motivated to see a show since they know clack is available...Its a really huge dilemma.

Jenna wrote:

When that AIW first got attention, many defended its distribution on the grounds that, "I won't let haters ruin my fandom." To me, what it really came down to was a fear that Clack would be "censored," that fewer videos would be available as a result of excess caution. Clack is called "clack" for a reason. It's seriously addictive, and people will do anything to get it. Quite frankly, there seems to be a feeling by some that there is this almost fundamental right to Clack, and that nothing--not copyright laws, not union rules, not negative media, not even Clay himself--should interfere with a fan's ability to see video of everything he does in a public setting.

keepingfaith wrote:

Clay has a cavalier attitude in public about clack probably because there is little or nothing that can be done about it.

I agree. Clay is cavalier in public, but in private I think he has more of a problem with clack than he lets on. JMO, though. However, since he has allowed his fans to do it freely for so long, it is going to be hard to put the genie back in the bottle. Just like you said. I remember thinking it was a good idea, at one time, that he let his fans do this. I talked about how some groups like Phish let their fans take all the video they wanted. Well, I don't know the reason why they broke up, but that group is not longer in business.

I think there are a lot of contributing factors to why sales may be down, not only for Clay but for lots of artists.The price of tickets are higher for smaller venues. Plus, gas prices being right up there on top of the list. It isn't cheap being a Clay fan and having to travel clear across the continent, or buy round trip airline tickets, plus lodgings. Add to that the extra cost of the fan pre-parties and the stuff being sold or auctioned for his charities and then the extra meals to your travels. Of course we want our Clay merchandise too. Factor in trying to attend multiple concerts around the holidays and people do get over extended on their credit cards, and maybe inclined to just sit and wait for the clack. This is why I think it is so important for Clay to expand his fanbase. Saying that doesn't mean I am trying to direct his career. He needs the locals in the city where his venues are, to be attending and filling up those seats. I am so happy to see all the advertising for this concert going on. From the clack I have watched, this concert will do more to attract those local fans than his previous ones. JMO but I think the word of mouth advertisement from the locals will be very good for future concerts. Very professional no nonsense tour. This is the kind of concert I like. Just get up there and sing and show them why you are the best at what you do. No private jokes only fans would get and no giggling and laughing throughout every other song. Yes, I know he has fans who love this stuff.

Jenna wrote:

The presence of Broadway performances on YouTube tells me that Clay fans are not the only ones who secretly film shows. Yes, it violates the rights of the writers, actors, and musicians involved in the production, but quite frankly, clack taken of Clay's orchestra performances could be said to violate the rights of the musicians and songwriters involved, and clack taken of Clay's television appearances violates the rights of the producers, directors, and other performers who technically should be paid for internet distribution. (In fact, a big part of the Writers' strike in Hollywood is about the right to be paid for internet downloads and streaming.)

Exactly......Clay can say that his tour is his show and he has no problem with clack, but the fact is the Orchestras have contracts with unions, that prohibit clack gathering. What if Clay continues to allow his fans to infringe on their rights? They may refuse to tour with him at some point. Anyway. Great discussion topic. It brought me out of lurkdom, anyway.

Clay has stated before that he forgets, or doesn't like to take his contacts out. He seemed to have a problem getting them back in. IIRC. LOL That can create problems for your eyes, my DR. told me. You can hurt your eyes by leaving your contacts in too long. I have a bad habit of that myself. You just sort of forget they are in there. Then my eyes will get real dry and they will start bothering me. Then it reminds me to take them out and give my eyes a break. Maybe Clay is experiencing something like that.

TGIF...........Have a great day at work everyone.

ETA: Sorry, ldyjocelyn and luckiest1. I didn't mean to interrupt the flow and eeeeing of the interview. I need to type faster.

Regarding Spamalot clack -- I'm with Jenna. Do I want there to be clack? Of course. Do I think there will be some clack? Yep, the clack masters are good. Do I demand there be clack? Nope -- as much as it will kill me if there isn't. Since I'm another one who can't make it to NYC, I will be incredibly sad if I can't see at least a little bit of it. However, I know that clack is a privilege, not a right, and I'd just have to get over it if it doesn't appear.

Regarding clack in general -- I think Clayzor is probably right that it's really almost too late to get people to stop. Another factor is simply the new technologies out there -- even with announcements about infringing on musician's rights, people find ways around that. Clayzor -- you mentioned Phish. I don't think Phack killed their band at all -- I'm not sure if I remember what their reason why was though. Free recording didn't kill the Grateful Dead though, and it sure hasn't hurt the Dave Matthews Band or the Barenaked Ladies either.

Honestly, I think doing Christmas shows for 4 years running now is one of the BEST ways for him to build his fan base. I really don't think it's the type of show, and I think he will change it up every year...some will be more silly than others. I think it's his consistency in doing them every year. He could easily turn into a "family tradition" just as the Rockettes Christmas show in New York is for many people.

I sometimes feel some fear from fans, that he MUST build his fan base, and if he doesn't, he'll simply fade from view. I definitely want more people to hear him, that's for sure; but I'm also not afraid that eventually, he may settle into a career that isn't flashy, splashy and always in the spotlight. IMO, we've been terribly spoiled, and I think some fans have gotten used to having a constant new barrage of Clay Aiken in their lives. Anyway, I think he will build his fanbase on his own terms -- probably a slow and steady rise, with maybe a few valleys along the way. And who knows? Two albums from now, he might find that killer song that is all over the radio and puts him back in the stratosphere again. If doesn't happen though -- I'll deal. And I think Clay will too.

I guess I view Clay's concerts and a role in Spamalot as being on opposite ends of the continuum. I also see the audience as different. Theater just isn't the same as a Clay Aiken concert, imho.

Call me a theater snob if you want but there is a reason why they make the announcement at the beginning of a theater performance. Perhaps Clay will have to start making the same announcement at his concerts in the future...I dunno.

I also have a fear of Clay being embarrassed or the other actors being pissed or the critics going after the fans, once again, rather than focusing on Clay's performance.

It is a different venue...that's how I feel. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I am most likely the lone anti-clack voice of the fandom.

Clack Unlimited and the other vaults should fold.

If clack gatherers break the law during the Spamalot run and are snagged at

the Shubert Theatre during the videography process, I hope they are charged

and prosecuted by the DA.

And if convicted, they pay the price of civil penalties.

Clayzor... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I was in New Brunswick last night - last show for me :cry4: .

I was in the front balcony, which was a great vantage point for appreciating the staging and lighting. I like to see the shows from different perspectives. What a treat to experience the 'mistake' in the Sentimental Medley, and how odd to enjoy a 'mistake.' This whole Aiken experience is baffling. Whatever. I loved it. I highly recommend toni7babe's isolate audio and video of IBHFC. Clay starts the song differently, and it is sublime to my ear. I have it on a loop and don't know how I'm going to manage to turn it off so I can participate in a work meeting in 3 minutes. It's fun being a Clay fan.

I was in New Brunswick last night - last show for me :cry4: .

I was in the front balcony, which was a great vantage point for appreciating the staging and lighting. I like to see the shows from different perspectives. What a treat to experience the 'mistake' in the Sentimental Medley, and how odd to enjoy a 'mistake.' This whole Aiken experience is baffling. Whatever. I loved it. I highly recommend toni7babe's isolate audio and video of IBHFC. Clay starts the song differently, and it is sublime to my ear. I have it on a loop and don't know how I'm going to manage to turn it off so I can participate in a work meeting in 3 minutes. It's fun being a Clay fan.

awww ducky it sounds like you got a wonderful show for your last one. YAY!!

Heheh, maybe Clay made the 'mistake' on purpose - just to see if it would show up on YouTube. :imgtongue:

So you've never watched any?

Totally respect this is your POV...but I will disagree. These ladies have given the fandom a lot of joy and I don't ever want anything to happen to them.

Aw, Duckyvee, missed you there. My first concert. What a blast it was. Since I wasn't sitting near anyone I knew, I got to just concentrate on the concert.

Being quite the clack collector, I am glad there is so much to choose from and something captured for posterity, others not so much. I admit there is mostly TV news events that I collect, although I download all the TV shows and do rewatch TV shows from time to time. I would have to have to go looking through my video tapes to find stuff, so much easier to look through the computer files.

Concert Clack, I only download a bit. I will probably download the video of the jazzy mix just to see it from a different perspective. I haven't missed a concert yet, so I am not as much in need as others, although Clack keeps you warm during those long absences.

Here is my official proclaimation!!!

Clack is no substitue for being there!

There, it is official. You cabn't judge the pacing, the environment, the very air. Clay works hard to make a visual and an aural set and when it is chopped into clack, it can't be evaluated. The concert flows along and pulls you with it. One of the things I love about a Clay concert it how there is complete control (not so much last Christmas, but all other shows) and there is a single vision. Your eyes are drawn to specific spots and it is like a movie. Staring at Clay when Quiana is singing is not good for the whole picture. It may be interesting for a fan, but for me, it would interrupt the vision, the creation that Clay is presenting. Thisis not a guy who goes on stage and says " and my next song is...", the vision that some demand for his albums is there in every show. Clay is so much more than a singer, he is a showman. So.... Clack is no substitute for being there. My sympathies to those who for what ever reason cannot make it, but I cannot lie. Yes, I believe family and budget comes way before Clay Aiken concerts, having priorites straight is important to all. Still.....

Yep I agree Ansa. And there are broadway clips all over youtube. So clearly the cheese wouldn't be standing alone doing something never done. I agree that clack shouldn't go on you tube but I don't like the ladies to get busted by Jerome let alone the police and prosecuted. I've never been disturbed by a clack dealer in my life at any of the concerts I've been to (cellcerters, different story). I'm sure they'd have to be even more circumspect...no video screens showing and what not. Anyway, :F_05BL17blowkiss: to the clack dealers on this one.

ETA: I totally agree with you Play... but a trip to NYC is costly. I think people do try to go if they can..that's one thing I know about ClayNation. We like being in the presence. heee

Couchie, my comment was just to indicate that if anyone thought it meant that it was just as good, it is not. Note my comment on priorities. Clack is also not a good thing to use as the base of your critique and possible condemnation of a concert.