#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

First page already!

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but run, don't walk to download xxx4clay's video of Welcome To Our World from New Brunswick...just beautiful! He sings it almost like a lullaby.

Kim

I sometimes feel some fear from fans, that he MUST build his fan base, and if he doesn't, he'll simply fade from view. I definitely want more people to hear him, that's for sure; but I'm also not afraid that eventually, he may settle into a career that isn't flashy, splashy and always in the spotlight. IMO, we've been terribly spoiled, and I think some fans have gotten used to having a constant new barrage of Clay Aiken in their lives. Anyway, I think he will build his fanbase on his own terms -- probably a slow and steady rise, with maybe a few valleys along the way. And who knows? Two albums from now, he might find that killer song that is all over the radio and puts him back in the stratosphere again. If doesn't happen though -- I'll deal. And I think Clay will too.

This is the way I'm approaching this too... sure, do I wish he could have world domination?... sometimes, but then sometimes, not so much. There's a price to be paid when you're THAT popular, I think. And I wonder how much he really wants that... I have no idea and don't pretend to know, but I wonder if he thinks about the price of that kind of fame and is maybe happier this way?

so is that lighting? What color is his hear these days?

I think that's the lighting... I do think his hair is a lighter color than this past summer but not as light as the lighting makes it appear... of course, the closest I've been this tour is about 15-16 rows back so maybe it is lighter up close... It does appear to be a reddish color though...

playbiller wrote in the last thread:

So.... Clack is no substitute for being there. My sympathies to those who for what ever reason cannot make it, but I cannot lie. Yes, I believe family and budget comes way before Clay Aiken concerts, having priorites straight is important to all. Still.....

I actually agree with this, and think it is a very interesting conundrum for those who cannot make a show. I really think that the singular focus on Clay, that so much clack has, really doesn't give the flavor of the show at all. (BTW play, I would have been with you, watching Jesse's face last night during IBHFC...I really hope someone has jack of that. *g*) And yet, at the same time, I would be totally sad if I can't see at least a part of each show. (For example, I'm still perplexed that nothing has shown up from Wilkes-Barre the other night....) I think it really demonstrates the addictive nature of clack. I know it has a power over me. And yet, I also know that nothing can substitute for actually being there.

As I said, a conundrum.

I also totally understand the idea of infringing on other performer's rights, especially on the stage. But I wonder -- did Clay get in trouble with the symphony in West Palm Beach, the night he took Scarlett's camera? I guess we won't know the extent of that until he get invited back by them to perform.

I used to get up in the middle of the night to see if clack of concerts had been posted...now...I don't even listen to the cellstream. I've downloaded a couple of clips from Wichita this time around, watched them and then tossed them. I never did watch the downloads of the ice skating show...

I haven't watched any of Clay's new songs this time. I dunno...it's very strange for me....I still love the guy to death but I don't have the need to watch the same song from different venues, or even from one venue.

Is there something wrong with me?

Clack - yep! all the clack in the world cannot come close to actually being at the concert, I agree wholeheartedly. But it is consolation for me when I cannot go, and a fabulous reminder of those concerts I did get to attend. I can't imagine judging a concert on the basis of clack.

Youtube is filled with "clack" (most not as good as ours!) - a few hours after an Eddie Izzard after-hours concert at a theater in Los Angeles, I was watching, um, Zack, here in Florida - of course it was wobbly and Eddie talks pretty fast and I couldn't exactly make out all that he said, but it was available, and if Eddie ever appears near me I would buy a ticket, whether I saw Zack, or even if I am sure I have seen a good number of his routines on DVD, because he is Eddie and he is always funny.

I think one of my favorite concert songs , both in person and in Clack, is Good News. I am so grateful that I can watch him sing that any time I want, and I would pay to see him sing it again, if I can get there! (I have my official Heathen card, it just makes me so verklempt that Clay feels so raptly, and shares it with us. Has nothing to do with me personally has always been my attitude, I guess).

Clack - yep! all the clack in the world cannot come close to actually being at the concert, I agree wholeheartedly. But it is consolation for me when I cannot go, and a fabulous reminder of those concerts I did get to attend.

This is how I feel, too. I don't always have a lot of time to devote to watching it, but I'm anal about downloading every bit, and backing it up, as well. Hee, so you could say I have my own personal vault, just in case (GOD FORBID) anything ever happens to the vaults.

I used to get up in the middle of the night to see if clack of concerts had been posted...now...I don't even listen to the cellstream. I've downloaded a couple of clips from Wichita this time around, watched them and then tossed them. I never did watch the downloads of the ice skating show...

I haven't watched any of Clay's new songs this time. I dunno...it's very strange for me....I still love the guy to death but I don't have the need to watch the same song from different venues, or even from one venue.

Nope, not at all. I used to download and watch everything too (multiple views of the same thing from the same venue and then all the venues after that!)... now, I will download if I went to a particular concert but usually only one version of the stuff... and I like the banter from the summer so I did download a lot of that... but with this Christmas tour, I've been very select about what I'm downloading... I love the guy, but I've realized over time that I don't need 20 versions of the same song - even if they are a tiny bit different... since he's pretty much singing straight up this tour, I just wait to hear about something "different", then I might download that... and I only listened on the first couple cellstreams... then I went to two concerts... now I just read the concert threads and see if anything different is going on - my expectation is that there isn't going to be that much different with each show (barring the Aiken Random Lyric Generator (tm someone but I have no idea who))... I may try one or two cellstream concerts between now and Merrillville (when I'm going to be there) but it's not as big a deal as it used to be to hear everything... and part of that is the reception I have with my computer/speakers... I love that people are willing to do it, I just find that I don't HAVE to listen each time...

And re: Spamalot clack... would I love for there to be some... yes, because I don't think I'll be getting to it... but if there isn't any, I imagine I'll survive... I certainly do not want anyone to get into any kind of legal/civil trouble while trying to get it... it's not worth that in my opinion...

OOOOOOoooooooooooooo are we still on the first page???? :D

JennaZ -- WORD! Most fans would rather see him live of course!! I remember what someone told me before the first time I saw him, which was at the Basketball game in Charlotte on Bobblehead night. She said, "You think you love him now, just wait til you've seen him live! You're gonna love hime even more!"

As for building his fan base..... my thoughts are that he is sneakily doing it by performing with local orchestras. Think about it, most of the orchestra members probably don't know about him going in, and their followings probably don't either. And as a result, he Clayverts entire groups of people at a time, who possibly would never have been exposed to him in the first place!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: <--- can you tell I love this icon?

I think most fans would much rather see Clay live than on the internet, no matter how beautifully filmed. There really is nothing like hearing his voice live, and there's an electricity in being part of an enthusiastic and responsive audience. Add in the fun that comes from hanging out with great Clay pals before and after, and IMHO, there's no comparison. I would attend Spamalot in a heartbeat if I could justify it financially. However, for many fans, especially those on the West Coast, New York City just isn't an affordable option. It's not just the air fare. The hotel costs are killer.

I also used to stay up late to download every scrap of Clack. Now, I download very little. In fact, this latest tour, I've only downloaded two or three videos and an mp3 of the DC concert. I haven't lost interest in him. I just don't crave the Clack as much as I once did. I know he performed well. That's good enough for me.

Nope not at all; I am the same way. I have downloaded some clack...but I don't need to watch or keep every video from every show...I also do not listen to the cellstream...I did for Witchita...but lately it seems the connections are just not good and I just don't have the patience for that. Most times I just follow along in the thread (although it drives me nuts to have wade through umpteen pages of "I can't hear", etc.). But I am really looking forward to Merrillville and seeing this live.

Kim

I've turned into an audio clack lover only in that it's easier for me to download into ipod and listen at work. But I love clack and just knowing it's there. Sometimes I'll find a few hours and will just watch clack. I look forward to doing that during the holidays when I have so many days off. I appreciate the clack goddesses so much. Last year when I couldn't attend the Xmas show..it got me through. First shows I'll usually watch some clack (thanks Gibby) and there is some clack I will still wait up for. Being on the west coast it's not usually hard to do.

ETA: it's amazing how great the clack has become since those first early days.

Nope, me too but you have to appreciate the wonderful job the clack gatherers do for the fans. I really don't want to see the clack from Spamalot because I'm afraid the gatherers will get into trouble. :cry4:

I think one of my favorite concert songs , both in person and in Clack, is Good News. I am so grateful that I can watch him sing that any time I want, and I would pay to see him sing it again, if I can get there! (I have my official Heathen card, it just makes me so verklempt that Clay feels so raptly, and shares it with us. Has nothing to do with me personally has always been my attitude, I guess).

You Were There is my favorite but Good News runs a close second.

Rude or not, the fact that I've watched the entire show of Spamalot with David Hyde Pierce already tells me that, union or no union, rules or no rules, people will put up the stuff they want to see, and have others see, on YouTube. Clay's fans want to see Clay and they want others to see him...I think Clack will happen no matter what our opinion or Clay's. I think he knows that too.

Just an observation on the pictures up there...God, isn't he beautiful?

Sorry - I'm post-hoing to can comment on a couple more things....

I also used to stay up late to download every scrap of Clack. Now, I download very little. In fact, this latest tour, I've only downloaded two or three videos and an mp3 of the DC concert. I haven't lost interest in him. I just don't crave the Clack as much as I once did. I know he performed well. That's good enough for me.
This concert, while a very nice show, and I want to say nothing negative against the program at all.....

BUT (and everyone has a big BUT tm Peewee Herman ) - this is a Christmas show, and as much as I love Clay and Christmas music, it just doesn't warrant repeating that many times. To be there is one thing, to sit and listen on a cellcert is quite another, especially when there's no banner and no variation, and the part that is spoken word sometimes can't be understood. Frankly, it's a bit boring on cellcert! There - I've said it!! :chair:

:fca:

so is that lighting? What color is his hear these days?
I think his hair really is a lighter color of reddish-brown right now. That's what it looked like in my binocs at the DC show. It looks good, altho I like it darker, but any color is fine with me! I'd like him to grow it longer like it was last year! :cheerleader:

I haven't seen this posted, but maybe I missed it. Apparently clayperfect at the CB is friends with Jimmy Carter and he wrote about Clay on the Christmas Card she got from him:

[sic the typos!]

I got a card from..Jimmy Carter this aftenoon..Christmas card..we are friends... he wanted to thanks all of us for our support for Unicef...he knows our love and admidermation for Clay and wanted to thank us for our support for Uganda and the kids. he told me that Clay is doing more behind the radar than we know..and that Unicef.loved him like we do and he is doing great things
:yess:

I get travel deal notifications from hotwire.com and I one I received dated 12/5 had 3 airfair deals on it. One is Northwest airlines $56 dollar one way fares, One is United Airlines Nationwide airfare sale at $106 each way and another is Cheap Tickets/Airtran who is offering roundtrip airfares starting a $112. I'm not sure if this is helpful for any of you planning Spamalot trips or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

ETA: the Northwest one is travel by Jan 7th, so that won't work for Spamalot

cindilu2 In response to your question to me, I have followed Clay since

Always and Forever. I have viewed a total of 5 pieces of clack. I understand

that this board will always support the clack gatherers with great passion and I

respect that stance. I just had the desire to express my feelings on the issue

at the present time as Clay's Broadway debut is fast approaching and it is an

interesting topic of discussion.

With my luck, I'll not only miss 1st page, I'll also wind up at the top of 2nd. *Aaaaargh, I knew it!*

Clack is like that piece of 500-calories-a-nibble Food for the Gods confection that you know you shouldn't have but do anyway because it's a taste of of all that is good and yummy, a gentle reminder of joyful summers gone by. But AFAIK we haven't had another constitutional amendment for clack despite how "entitled" some people (not here) have started to speak about it. It's fun, it's like a game we play with the venue folks (and 7-yr old killjoys, "if-i-can't-have-any-you-can't-either") but too much can get you a tummy-ache, and it's no substitute for real joy (eg. eHP roadtrip).

However, since I need to make it through all these concerts via cellcert (and they've been staticky lately), I'm very thankful to toni7babe and xxx4clay for all the great work they did in New Brunswick and *crosses fingers* the other shows this weekend. Safe travels, to you both! MUAH!!! (ETA: Eeeeee! toni7babe, in case you're lurking I got your text message just as I was writing this. Hugs to xxx!!!)

Thank you so much to cindilu2 for some awesome work in the snail-mail clack area -- if you bought the TBAF CD holder, please PM your addy if you haven't already.

Many thanks too to spikesmom for a giant package of knitted items for the Striped Sock Sirens sale!!!

Always and Forever. I have viewed a total of 5 pieces of clack.<snip>

Does this mean the you did not watch the interview from 11/02 pre-idol?

No, who interviewed him? I perhaps have read commentary regarding it, but

I have never viewed it. What is the subject of the interview?

Always and Forever. I have viewed a total of 5 pieces of clack.<snip>

Does this mean the you did not watch the interview from 11/02 pre-idol?

No, who interviewed him? I perhaps have read commentary regarding it, but

I have never viewed it. What is the subject of the interview?

I wish I had your resolve when it came to snack food.

ETA: Your five or so peices of clack are like my "he's only had 3 bad hair days hee" Do you remember which clack you watched?

First page already!

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but run, don't walk to download xxx4clay's video of Welcome To Our World from New Brunswick...just beautiful! He sings it almost like a lullaby.

Kim

oh this is certainly beautiful!!!

I feel like he is actually getting ready for spamalot because he is getting into the meaning of the songs. Not just singing the songs but telling us the stories ...

Clack...yup I have had to cut down. I think for me it started pretty early...when I realized my HD can't handle it all. Thats when I started to be very particular about the clack I keep.

Right now I will watch something that was different or memorable or if he sounds simply fantastic on a song...but I definitely do not download every piece of clack.

LOVE the IBHFC medley...he is great at covering his mistakes...or at least making a memorable moment out of them.

Clack...yup I have had to cut down. I think for me it started pretty early...when I realized my HD can't handle it all. Thats when I started to be very particular about the clack I keep.

Hee, that's what external HDs are for! And data dvds. :)