#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

I don't know what makes the difference between me and those who didn't care for the show so much - the fact that I share Clay's beliefs? The years of formal, classical music training where I learned to perform the type of music Clay performs at this show? My masters in social work, where I learned to appreciate how difficult it can be to cope with tragedy? These probably all help, but I'm sure that many others who don't care for the show as much have appreciation for these things, as well.

IMO I don't think it matters if you have anything in common with him or share his beliefs. I have never had any contact with social work, have an intense dislike for any kind of organized religion but I do have an appreciation for good classical music. I am loving this concert series. In fact it is turning out to be one of my all time favourites. It shows another facet and layer of a complex man. I said in a cellcert that it is the man, the music and the voice. I felt at K'zoo he was giving us a present of his voice! He is extremely vulnerable up there and is not afraid to let it show. Kind of....well here I am love me or leave me! I love him for it and I am not ever leaving especially if he continues to produce work like this.

Oh and in case there is any doubt I also love, love, love the glasses!

Cool, merrieeee! I agree with you - that's why I said the part that I bolded. And I agree about the vulnerability, too, and the love-me-or-leave me attitude. I think it's great that Clay's reached the point in his career that he's comfortable with that attitude. He pretty much said as much in his blog on the first night of CITH.

I wrote on December 9, 2005:

I have this theory about Clay not being front and center for this show. To me, he's trying to say "look around you, there's joy everywhere." In other words, sometimes people tend to get caught up in the forrest for the trees -- by focusing totally on him, some fans ignore the larger picture, IMO. I also REALLY think he's trying to say "yes, I know my name is on the ticket...but I'm not the reason for the season. My family and friends -- they are what are important to me, and I'll share them with you. Take a look around and find that joy with your family and friends at this time of year." To me, I find his selflessness wonderful, and admire him for it.

*waits for stones*

No stones from me either ldyj. And I bolded that one sentence because it reminded me of something, a way I felt while watching the concert in Wichita. Now anyone that knows me knows that I'd rather be sitting next to JaMar at a Clay concert than almost anywhere else, but for the first time ever I wanted to go home right in the middle of a Clay concert. It wasn't because I was bored or didn't like the show, I loved it. But his message of the joy of the season, and the love of family and friends made me long for my DH and kids. I was thinking "what the hell am I doing here? I should be home loving my family and being loved and sharing the joy of the season with them." The thing is, I think those sentiments are sort of what Clay was shooting for in this Christmas message/concert.

And personally I thought he ooozed joy and personality that night in Wichita. Others, apparently didn't see that and that's ... okay. [tm Stuart Smalley]

I don't always see Waldo either, most of the time I think it's just a fold. Hee.

I'm glad you felt that way too. I was touched with his joy and totally ecstatic after the Wichita concert. His joy and his belief was so palpable, I assumed everyone else felt it, too. Maybe it was those mojitos we had beforehand?

Oh, and it's NOT a fold.

He came out on the stage with a boom box and a guitar. Well, that could mean it would be an intimate accoustic cponcert, but it wasn't. It was in a lage 10K venue. And the boom box signified that the music was recorded. When he pushed the button, the music started, and he sang. He never stopped and said anything, he never really looked into the audience, and I might as well have been listening to a recording,

Wow, that sounds like one sucky concert! I woulda been royally pissed.

...ahemmm... how's that pre party coming Jamar heh.

:scream:

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

I'm sorry, but this is CMSU! I know how JaMar loves pre-parties.

(JaMar if you need any help with anything, just call.)

It is the voice that drew me though I always felt he had a sarcastic sense of humor and was happy to see that come out when he started to do his own concerts.

My turn to have stones thrown ....am I the only one that hates the sarcastic sense of humor? I don't mean just Clay's, but anybodys. My dad was sarcastic, and my older sister is still painfully so. Having grown up with an excess of sarcasm I try to avoid it at all costs. And though I love just about everything Clay says and does, some of his sarcastic comments from M&G's that have been reported have left me cold.

It is fascinating to me to see all of the different reactions to this show. All I know is that I had a feeling of euphoria and joy after seeing this show. It was such a high for me. I usually feel this way after seeing Clay in a concert, and Wichita was no different. I truly did feel that Clay had given me not just a Christmas card, but a present. It was beautiful. And that's why I need to go again.

I just wanted to WORD this paragraph, as it mirrors my own feelings exactly. I hope Omaha is just as beautiful!

Well OMG I hope no one is expecting a full on pre-party! From ME! I'm not a planner. I thought I'd go downtown next weekend and scout out some place for a fewish (10ish?) FCA'rs to meet up and have dinner before heading to the show. Make a reservation. No party favors, Clay centerpieces, door prizes or auction. Just so you know. :cryingwlaughter:

Well OMG I hope no one is expecting a full on pre-party! From ME! I'm not a planner. I thought I'd go downtown next weekend and scout out some place for a fewish (10ish?) FCA'rs to meet up and have dinner before heading to the show. Make a reservation. No party favors, Clay centerpieces, door prizes or auction. Just so you know. :cryingwlaughter:

You know that sounds fine to me. Just please pick a restaurant that serves drinks. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Jamar, that's totally fine by me! I don't need a big fancy preparty. A fun meal with some fellow FCA'ers sounds fun. Hmmmm, I wonder if Mr. Gibby will join us, or if he will choose to sit this one out? Heeee.

Gibby, will he join us if we promise to act normal? Or, as normal as possible? I'd hate to think of him sitting somewhere off by himself. When we go to concerts with saltwaterdog Mr. Saltie always joins us and doesn't seem to mind. I promise to behave!

LOL..we need another word for it cuz I ain't schlepping no name tags across the country either heee. We can take after our boyfriend and call it a not a party. hee

Well I probably did a stupid thing..ordered my coat online. I hope it gets here and I'm not out shopping somewhere on the day that I leave IN 9 FREAKING DAYS!

Muski... I don't think you were defensive but I do think everybody has tried not to stomp on anyone elses opinion. WHen opinions are so different engaging is sometimes difficult but the spirit of what I've seen today from everyone even if imperfect, as communication can be, didn't give me a headache. (that's my gauge heee)..by the way when do you get home...I owe you pins...

I LOVE that Spamalot flyer. I want that in a big giant poster but I guess there's no way to do that....legally.

I just watched Live Free or Die Hard. Gotta say it was the best Die Hard movie since the first one - which is my all time favorite action movie. Two and three were forgettable.

Clay pretty.

Aw, BW, thanks for offering to behave, but I want everyone to be themselves, and not 'edit' themselves because of my hubby. It's a lot more fun when we just let it all hang out! He may actually prefer to stop at Starbucks to sit and read. I'll let him decide.

Clay loosened up just a bit at the concert tonight:

ClayPoughkeepsie3_filtered.jpg

Ansa...I think you're so used to CG and I being together, you automatically grouped us in the same-level-of-intensity opinion camp this time around when actually, she and I see this concert differently. (Just ask her! :unsure::cryingwlaughter: )...If you read my post carefully, you'll see that nowhere do I say that Clay should NOT have done the show his way; in fact, I wrote that I admire him for following his heart and walking his talk and being brave enough to do whatever, KNOWING that he'll be criticized any way he chooses to go.

And I really have to take issue with this part of your quote:

I also believe your suggestions will make this a whole different show...with a different vibe and one that is your vision and not Clay's.
Nope. I didn't HAVE a vision for this show. It's not my show. I just want to see and hear Clay. Just because I wasn't particularly moved by certain elements of this one doesn't mean I don't appreciate what Clay hopes to communicate with it. I said that, see?
All in all, I'm glad I saw him sing about his God this year. He's so hot and wonderful when he does that. And I'm not upset that I won't be able to see more than one.

Anyone who's known me for the duration of this wonderful ride we're sharing with the man knows that I'm a very staunch supporter of the "Let Clay Be Clay" camp. I do NOT impose my visions for him on him because I don't really have any! I'm just a selfish bitch and want him to keep on keepin' on, whether he's still or hyper, somber or silly...I'm just saying that FOR ME, there are some elements of this particular 'vision' of his that didn't resonate with me. But I'm also saying that Clay is a blessing. His voice is inspirational, whether he's singing about Baby Jesus or Baby Got Back. He makes me smile and giggle and make other gutteral noises. :hubbahubba:

And although I won't be going to another concert and am not broken hearted about it this time, I'm still downloading that Clack, fo' sho'. I need to see him, hear him from every venue---even though I'm choosing not to spend nonexistent money on expensive tickets again! He and his voice never fails to move me.

Reading over this post, I believe it comes out sounding a bit defensive, but I guess that's because I kinda felt that my last post elicited some surprising (and unexpected) reaction (but no harm done).

Now...I'm finally home after having traveled to and slept in four different cities in a week. My hubby just put out Christmas lights outside and we're going to order pizza, light a fire and watch a DVD together.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Well, I never said Clay should do this show any other way than his way either! I just offered some suggestions as to how I think he could have altered things and yet still have been able to accomplish his vision. He doesn't have to listen to me! He never does!

I mean, he wore glasses again tonight! <_<

Seriously, I have said over and over that I applaud Clay for trying something new. I never want him to stop doing that! I always want Clay to follow his muse wherever she may lead him.

I just may not always like it......

Ok, back from Poughkeepsie, Strange venue. More like a gym than a theater. But we got the light show at last!

Hair looked better. I think what I didn't like last night was it was parted too far on the side. This was more toward the middle, more like a slightly shorter version of last year's AMAs - and you all know how I loved that hair. Maybe he is growing it out for Spamalot.

And again he wore glasses........ And so did Jesse! Who's next - Angela and Quiana? It was funny, though. He kept pushing the glasses up - once with the mic! I was surprised we didn't hear a clunk!

I think he may have been in better voice last night, but he still sounded good.

During the first story he was laughing and he turned his back to the audience so we supposedly wouldn't see him and then he looked at Angela to see if she was laughing. It was cute.

He seemed to smile more tonight than last night. Must have been in a good mood... *g*

Other than that, pretty much the same show - even two stories I have heard over and over...

Our seats were 9th row dead center and they were really very good - but to be honest, I like my front row seat in Albany a bit more - but I didn't love my front row seat in DC. So for those of you who were asking, the best place to sit probably depends on the venue, but I don't think could go wrong with rows 4 through maybe 10 center.

I took a bunch of pictures, but I'll have to wait until I get home to see if any are in focus.

And to set the record straight - I don't hate this show. It is not my favorite, but its not my least favorite either. His voice is wonderful and if he would just stop wearing those glasses I would say he looks amazing. With them, he only looks good. I love that he tried something new and different, even if its not my cuppa.

And I HOPE to see this show one more time in Williamsport.

And I would still would do him in a heartbeat (at which time I would whip those glasses right off him!)

since I have no self discipline whatsoever. If Jerome knew how much I had backed up Clay , I would be on his list. He won't find me in all the snowbanks up here though. :snowing2:

zena... :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Missed you... maybe after the holidays, you'll be able to post more.

It's interesting to me... because we have so little cute stuff in this tour, I find I treasure each few seconds much more. Some of the stuff I play over and over this tour wouldn't have gotten any notice at all last year or last summer when we had a plethora of funny!!!

I split a gut laughing sometimes in the last two tours, but when I laugh in this tour it is with such a feeling of affection and love it is almost undescribable. With the hair and the glasses, I almost feel like we have grown up Clayton, along with his vulnerabilities.

Last two tours he was entertaining us with laughter and fun. This tour he is singing to us from his heart. Both types of tours just make me love him more and I hope he continues to divide his time between the two in the future cause I love this Clay as much as I loved "off the hook" Clay.

He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!! LOL

And I would still would do him in a heartbeat (at which time I would whip those glasses right off him!)

heee ..laughing at the image of everybody in glasses... even the orchestra. LOL.

and now I see Liney wouldn't mind doing him either. hee

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to all

ETA: eeeeeeeeeee so my little part time work at home job is going along fine.. really, if it hadn't come when it did I would have had to cancel this trip..there is jsut NO way it could have happened. I don't know how long this job will last. I'm almost finished up my project..but just got the word that I will be put on another when it's done. whoo hoo... I don't need or want to do it forever..but perhaps another 4 or 5 months or so. till I get to NYC to see my boyfriend in Spamalot and oh pay off a few more debts.

heee ..laughing at the image of everybody in glasses... even the orchestra. LOL.

and now I see Liney wouldn't mind doing him either. hee

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to all

Are we compiling a list here? I think they're kinda hot and don't think there'd be any issue with them unless they start to fog up...

Aw, BW, thanks for offering to behave, but I want everyone to be themselves, and not 'edit' themselves because of my hubby. It's a lot more fun when we just let it all hang out! He may actually prefer to stop at Starbucks to sit and read. I'll let him decide.

Clay loosened up just a bit at the concert tonight:

ClayPoughkeepsie3_filtered.jpg

so that;s great - is tis the only pic so far??? IT'S GORGEOUS!!!

That would be DSIAFCD.

No PANTS! visible in this clip, but omg, it's so clear, and he is so gorgeous and CUTE and makes some funny faces and almost falls down the stairs and adjusts his glasses about 25 times......and he can SING, too! :imgtongue:

071208_Poughkeepsie_Banter&DSIAFCD_xxx4clay_large.wmv

I highly recommend it to put a smile on anyone's face this morning. :)

Luckiest1, can you put your cherry ball recipe in the recipe thread? It sounds intriguing - and not as lethally sweet as divinity, which I OD'd on - the first time I tried it - a long time ago and have never eaten since.

eta - wow! that was quick! Thanks, anything with loads of butter sounds great (and my cholesteral counts are bizarrely very low, I don't prolly deserve that, but I am v. happy about it!)

don't know what makes the difference between me and those who didn't care for the show so much - the fact that I share Clay's beliefs? The years of formal, classical music training where I learned to perform the type of music Clay performs at this show? My masters in social work, where I learned to appreciate how difficult it can be to cope with tragedy? These probably all help, but I'm sure that many others who don't care for the show as much have appreciation for these things, as well.

I don't think liking or not liking the concert is really quantifiable in those terms, sometimes ya just don't like something that is subjective, is all! There doesn't even need to be a reason, IMO. I just do what I usually do, I skip bad reviews, they don't add to my life or anything like that. Plus asking someone why they don't like something kinda implies that they SHOULD, which is invalid concerning subjective stuff. of course if someone consistently liked NOTHING about any subject, I would wonder why they are still concerned with it - that is also an implied criticism of others' preferences. I say preferences, not tastes, because IMO no one I have ever met or read has any business dictating what Good Taste is - they always really seem to mean "What I like is good taste, yo!"

Of course, in my universe, anyone who tells me they need to understand why I don't like (or like) something is gently told that no, they don't need to understand - and if they still think they do, it really has nothing to do with me at all. Unless they need to understand why I am whacking them or something like that, of course. Tbspltttt! AAAAck!!! Ya get waylaid by people saying it is your mom's fault you don't like the color yellow or something equally inane, as if liking yellow was mandatory and The Right Thing To Do.

I am loving all the recaps, I stopped listening to cellcerts because my some of my bult-in shields against hypocrisy and such blew fuses and are out being repaired. My grandson has taken over my computer due to an addiction to Last Chaos, and I don't want to download anything like music on this laptop I was given for work. (OT - having an extra LCD monitor to hook up to a laptop, and spreading the desktop over two screens, is just the bestest way to work!) So I have not listened to much clack, but what I have listened to, is cherce. No, my built-in spell-checker didn't break too, that is an homage to Spencer Tracy.

Clay looks so happy! And beautiful! I love the glasses, they are like an accessory or something, he looks wonderful with or without them. I like the non-banter, I seem to remember people complaining last year that the NJU seemed to feel puzzled and left out, and they are right - I was in the balcony in Orlando, and the banter seemed to go on FOREVER, and it got kinda old, Clay was not engaging the audience, he was engaging the first few rows.

You know I was thinking that Clay might just be giving his eyes a rest from contacts because I doubt he'll be able to wear glasses when he appears in Spamalot. That's a long time and I would think he wants his eyes to be strong and ready to deal.

By the way. I enjoyed all the recaps and I think Clay Aiken is doing might fine and he's mighty fine looking. LOL!!! The VOX!!!

ETA- The bad review guy will get no hits from me. He seems to hate Clay and Christmas. He is not my friend. Seriously, I think he's been hating Clay for awhile noy, so he's really good at it.

And though I love just about everything Clay says and does, some of his sarcastic comments from M&G's that have been reported have left me cold.
I didn't know you were quoting me until I started to delete the rest of your post to get to this quote. I can understand this. As much as I enjoy sarcasm, it depends on the delivery. A woman I work with uses it all the time. Her project is in trouble through no fault of hers and I am part of the team helping her save it. Sometimes I just want to say, cut the crap and give me a direct answer.

The thing that doesn't translate is how Clay made his comments. Did he say them with a smile? The context of the moment is missing. Funny but there is one famous incident where he complimented someone's new hair cut as reported by someone else who was at the same M&G but she wanted more from the meeting, apparently because she went to a lot of shows and contributed a great deal of money to his charity so left offended that she did not get more attention. I remember reading her own words on the incident. Boy did I get a bad impression of her just from what she wrote. I no longer remember the board name of that person or any other details but here is an example of a guy remembering someone and even complimenting her then getting slammed for not meeting expectations. Wasn't that the M&G where a couple of others were drunk and there was one lone sane fan wondering what the heck was going on. No need to answer.

At this point I'm thinking out loud and shaking my head and rambling a little. In reality Clay doesn't know us except perhaps as faces in a crowd. Clay seems to have a large family and his friends are long-time friends. Over the years I've heard that he appreciates and loves his fans but at a reasonable distance which is as it should be and that he does not like it at all when someone tries to get close to him through his long-time relationships. I for one don't blame him one bit. I guess this is one reason I don't understand the rumors about people claiming they are talking to Clay on the internet. It is not his style at all.

I don't care to meet Clay or any celebrity but think that I am in the minority. It would probably be more fun if I felt differently about that as those who go to the M&Gs or other events are so excited and have great adventures. I admit that I enjoy reading the recaps and look forward to them.

Sorry for rambling. I think I am postponing that Christmas shopping trip. I have no idea what to get for my loved ones this year and I am worried about that. I don't decorate the house any more but yesterday bought some beautiful Christmas material that I think will make lovely tablecloths. Maybe Clay's show is getting me in the Christmas spirit. Maybe I'll even do some Christmas baking.

Good Morning Everyone,

13 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

16 Days until The Skating Special Airs!

29 Days until The BAF Golf Outing!

40 Days until Clay is on Broadway!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

The thing about the glasses being so sexy is just imagining when and where you would slowly take then off! No whipping off here just nice and slow and real close! :whistling-1:

Oh boy, I need a cigarette ...oh wait I never smoked. Ok well how about a drink......no never drank either!

He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!! LOL

Oh, yeah, my couch, too! Thread title?

The thing about the glasses being so sexy is just imagining when and where you would slowly take then off! No whipping off here just nice and slow and real close! :whistling-1:

Oh boy, I need a cigarette ...oh wait I never smoked. Ok well how about a drink......no never drank either!

I'm all for nice and slow, too. Gotta make that moment last!

I just watched the DSIAFCD vid recommended by lucky upthread. Very cute! Looks like he REALLY wanted to move more than he can on that platform! And it is bad that I kept wanting xxxforclay to move her video camera down? She did a great job of focusing on his face, but I wouldn't have minded a lower view! :whistling-1: Oh, and the pattens behind Clay are great, except there's a piece of lint or some thread on the pattern directly behind him that bugs me. Anybody else notice that?

ETA: I'm stealing these pics from farouche's post at CV - see any resemblance?

AIMG111.jpg

VH1_teen.jpg