#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

Ivy...glad Clay is getting you into the Christmas mood. I was in a Christmas mood but I;ve been having this tummy problems that makes it tough for me to eat properly...so I'm really low energy now..and its Decorating DAY!!! I'm just glad my girls are old enough to do a lot of the physical decorating and are pretty enthusiastic about it.

Muski and Cg...sorry if it seems like I was saying you were telling him what to do...I am pretty aware that is not what you were doing, but you gave some suggestions and I simply looked at them to see if they indeed would work and I felt not in the context of what he is trying to accomplish right now. I am just continuing the discussion and was not trying to assign any more motivation to what you wrote except that you both seem to be looking for something more from the show. I think this is the consequence of sharing our opinion ...it will elicit other ideas and opinions from others and keep the discussion going.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE for the spamalot promo!!!!

Pretty cool!!!

My son's going to graduate today and I've always kept a copy of the newpaper during major milestones (the day he was born, the day he started school, etc.) Would it look suspicious if instead of getting The Austin American Statesman, I insist on The NY Times?

OK, I am heading out to get my NYT - I would get it for others, but you are aware that the paper costs a dollar and is huge and you probably don't want anything but the ad.....

So, let me know if you want to kill a tree. I will be leaving in about 15 minutes.

<snip>

The context of the moment is missing.

<snip>

Over the years I've heard that he appreciates and loves his fans but at a reasonable distance which is as it should be

<snip>

Two concepts that keep me rational in this fandom where random people are called fuckers. I usually try and keep this in context when judging Clay or other people. We don't know a hell of a lot more than we do know.

Full scan of the NY Times Spamalot promo today, courtesy of YSRN at CH:

nytimes_fullpage.jpg

Can anyone here get some extra copies? I'd love to have one.

Me too. Ooooh oooh.........I would also like whatever they are passing out at the concerts too, if someone will get one. :PickMe-1:

I love Clay in sunglasses. Sexy as hell, he is.

I have my tree up and all my yard stuff out. We are doing Christmas with the kids next weekend. That's the only time they could all find to be home at the same time. So I have rushed like hell the last couple of weeks to get it all together. Want to see my tree? Sure you do. :cryingwlaughter:

ChristmasTreePictures011.jpg

ChristmasTreePictures003.jpg

I got me one of those big inflatable things last year after Christmas. I love them. Hee!! I'm like a big kid at Christmas time.

OutsideChristmasDecorations005.jpg

OutsideChristmasDecorations006.jpg

I have my cards sent, and all gifts wrapped & finally put under the tree. I only have one gift card & one check to mail, house to clean then I am ready. Did my grocery shopping yesterday. You take your life in your hands, going to Wally World, or anywhere really, right now. Traffic and crowds are bad and it took me 3 hours. Trying to move your cart out of everybody's way makes it almost impossible to get what you need. Grrrrrrr. I hope to get my hair cut this week too. Also colored. I want to get one of those forward diagonal slopped, in front, bobs that are so popular now.

My son's going to graduate today and I've always kept a copy of the newpaper during major milestones (the day he was born, the day he started school, etc.) Would it look suspicious if instead of getting The Austin American Statesman, I insist on The NY Times?

Heeee! Why not both? Congrats on your son's graduation!

Clayzor, your tree and decorations are lovely!! We've done all of the decorating we're going to do, and I've bought all of the presents I'm going to buy. I make a calendar with pictures of my daughters every year, and it's printing right now. Whew, it takes forever to print it out! Once I finish the calendars, I'll wrap and send them and a few more presents and then I'm pretty much done! Except for all of the Christmas music I have to learn and perform between now and Dec. 24th. Christmas would be a lot less hectic if I could just go to Christmas concerts instead of performing in them, too!

:09:

My hubby is a regular at Starbucks, so I'm going to ask him to look for the NY Times there. Hopefully they'll have a copy, even here in Colorado!

Wow, this is a stunning picture!

ClayPoughkeepsie10_filtered.jpg

Guys, I was watching "Sunday Morning" on CBS and saw a blurb for Micheal Buble...which I was gonna ignore. Then the teaser came on...he was talking to some woman in the audience and said, "Yeah, you're screaming for me now...next week you'll be screaming for Clay Aiken" (which I know I read somebody reporting that last year). So I sat and watched in case they mentioned Clay again (yes, I'm pitiful). It was an interesting piece; he came across really well to me. I had no idea he had been working for 16 years before he got his break with Foster. When he not touring, he hangs out with his family. He wants to be an "entertainer". He seemed like about a half a step raunchier than Clay. Like Clay, he's mainly sticking to what he knows works, while gradually introducing something new. Which sounds a lot to me like the previous stuff - but I did like it a little. It helped remind me that 5 years into Buble's career, he was singing in teeny nightclubs, desperately holding on. He certainly wasn't doing 2 tours a year. The only thing Buble has that I want for Clay is international touring.

Now I must go back and read.

OK, that means a paper for Lynette, for Laughn, for DJs, for Luckiest, and for Clazorback?

I just need you to tell me if you want the whole papare or just the Arts and Leisure, when I get back with my 6 copies.

Playbiller, Thanks v. much -- I think each copy weighs a ton but I would like the entire paper if possible! Thanks for your thoughtfulness!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Clayzorback, you did a spectacular job! It's very beautiful!

Heeee! Why not both? Congrats on your son's graduation!
Thanks, Gibby!!! (see you in Omaha! Solo, PerusingOne & KAndre'll be there too and we're ready for Jamar's not-a-party-concert-party!!! -- now if we could only persuade merrieeee or keepingfaith to fly or drive there for a day)

(ETA: Looks down -- Eeeeeek! Serves me right. I should already be driving to brunch at the (newly-rebuilt) Oasis, 450 feet above Lake Travis -- this is a nice view from the deck)

Awww Clayzor your tree looks beautiful!!!!

and as much as I want to send my Christmas cards...the girls' annual school pictures are not in yet so I have to wait....Hopefully I will get it out before the middle of the month.

playbiller The other day I could not find my unwrapped copy of ATDW. I always buy an extra one. Anyway I remembered that you had some extra ones. Since then, I found my copy so I'm fine. Were you able to find takers for your extra copies? With ATDW stock so low, maybe you will be able to find owners for them one day.

WTF is wrong with all you people??? :what_d_fuck: It's madness, I tell ya! Pure madness! Your shopping's done? Your decorations are up? What the hell kind of way is that to celebrate the Christmas season? I'll stick with the good old-fashioned way, thankyewverymuch.....scurrying and scrambling and fighting for the last ham :onFire: and running to Wally World on Christmas Eve to buy tape and wrapping paper :onFire: and being generally miserable, cranky and bitchy. :goodVevil: Then on Christmas Eve, I snuggle down in a comforter on the couch with DH, exhausted and think "What the fuck" and get drunk. :juul:That's the way to observe the Christmas season.

:onFire::onFire::onFire:

WTF is wrong with all you people??? :what_d_fuck: It's madness, I tell ya! Pure madness! Your shopping's done? Your decorations are up? What the hell kind of way is that to celebrate the Christmas season? I'll stick with the good old-fashioned way, thankyewverymuch.....scurrying and scrambling and fighting for the last ham :onFire: and running to Wally World on Christmas Eve to buy tape and wrapping paper :onFire: and being generally miserable, cranky and bitchy. :goodVevil: Then on Christmas Eve, I snuggle down in a comforter on the couch with DH, exhausted and think "What the fuck" and get drunk. :juul:That's the way to observe the Christmas season.

BWAH!!!!

:cryingwlaughter:

whew!!! Thank you Bookwhore...I was feeling kinda alone for awhile after looking at Clazor's beautiful tree and all...mine is still sitting in the corner, covered with lights only. (been using it as a night light)

I figure at the rate I'm going I should be ready for Christmas by Dec. 28th....if I'm lucky.

eta....thank you play for the NYT pick-up!

OK, that means a paper for Lynette, for Laughn, for DJs, for Luckiest, and for Clazorback?

and sometimes it sucks to be on the west coast. lol

soooo do the NYT versions that we get in other parts of the country actually have the NY ads?

oh bwah bookwhore. That sounds familiar.

The only thing I like is the Xmas tree (not decorating but looking at) . But I've already heard the words...pull down my boxes... which means all kinds of lights and blinky thngs and annoying little mechanized schenes and wreaths and big stars. Thankfully my mom's other daughter likes to help her do that.

OK so today it begins...getting ready for Clay... step 1.. a nice dye job. heee

Play... if you haven't already gone on your paper foray, I'd love one... just the Arts/ad section.

Crossing my fingers... I heard the weather was going to make Mohegan difficult.

This close up shows why he's wearing glasses... poor eye!

ClayPoughkeepsie16-1.jpg

This picture gives a view I think a few here will appreciate greatly... LOL

clayalbanyview.jpg

I have almost all of my shopping done... now if I could just get them all wrapped earlier than the hour before I have to give them, I would consider it a good Christmas season. LOL

THANK YOU BW!!

I haven't even got our tree yet! Yesterday I managed to add some strings of icicles to the deck. One string was already there since back in the summer! (Kept there just for this reason!! LOL) I also hung a star on the wall in the back. The front seems lacking - no lights yet! Yesterday was prefect weather and I wasted it! Now today it's raining.... oh well.

I haven't even got our tree yet!

Me either. Chances are it won't go up until the 22nd this year, unless E rides me about it next weekend. Hee. But I doubt it. The boys probably won't even get into town until Christmas Eve and then the kids spend Christmas Eve Night w/their Dad's side of the family. That's when I wrap...usually takes me all of half an hour. I'll also need to pick up the Take & Bake Pizza's on the 24th too probably right after I finish my Christmas shopping. Hmmm...I don't do outside decorations or send out cards so no worries there. The kids will bring a cheesecake for my birthday which we will have for breakfast after we open presents Christmas morning. We'll have said pizza for lunch, take in a movie and then it will be time for the boys to head back.

Sort of minimalistic, but we like it. *g*

Really attending the JNT's is about as Christmasy as I get. :lilredani:

I hesitate to post this, but what the hell. I am used to having boulders thrown my way!

RE: The Albany review. Agree with it or not, I thought it was a very balanced, fair review. The reviewer seemed to go out of his way to point out things Clay has done which he enjoyed. He pointed out what he had found on YouTube, said he was "an engaging and goofy performing presence when he wants to be -- he's often a good talk-show guest, and abundant YouTube clips attest to his onstage playfulness", he said Clay was usually garrulous. It seemed to me he tried very hard to be fair.

He just didn't like it.

According to my lurker friend, this guy rarely never has a nice review about Clay and she was actually shocked he said nice things about Clay in his review.

He didn't have to do that. He could have just slammed the show and left it at that. But he didn't. That to me shows he went in there with an open mind, having sought out things Clay had done since the vignette year and maybe went in expecting something very different than what he got.

What more can you ask of a reviewer than to go in with an open mind? And despite not liking the show reminding people that there is more to Clay than what he saw that night.

He is allowed not to like it.

Nothing wrong with that.

I hesitate to post this, but what the hell. I am used to having boulders thrown my way!

RE: The Albany review. Agree with it or not, I thought it was a very balanced, fair review. The reviewer seemed to go out of his way to point out things Clay has done which he enjoyed. He pointed out what he had found on YouTube, said he was "an engaging and goofy performing presence when he wants to be -- he's often a good talk-show guest, and abundant YouTube clips attest to his onstage playfulness", he said Clay was usually garrulous. It seemed to me he tried very hard to be fair.

He just didn't like it.

According to my lurker friend, this guy rarely never has a nice review about Clay and she was actually shocked he said nice things about Clay in his review.

He didn't have to do that. He could have just slammed the show and left it at that. But he didn't. That to me shows he went in there with an open mind, having sought out things Clay had done since the vignette year and maybe went in expecting something very different than what he got.

What more can you ask of a reviewer than to go in with an open mind? And despite not liking the show reminding people that there is more to Clay than what he saw that night.

He is allowed not to like it.

Nothing wrong with that.

No boulders here...totally agree. Simply singing, Clay is not this guys cup of tea. (yeah, so he didn't like the vignettes either, but :P to him)

I actually thought the piece was interesting to me because it gave me some insight that if and when Clay ever does get his beloved talk show it seems he might have an audience building from a different source than the fan base he has now.

ETA: Reading that last sentence back, I'm not sure it even makes sense to me...lol...sorry...but I'm trying to say that while this guy might not like 'reverent Clay' singing pretty music, it sounds like he'd be one tuning in to watch The Clay Aiken Talk Show.

WOW, I'm so far behind after being at my company's AGM in Calgary since the 1st....but a few things I wanted to comment on....

Who's going to Williamsport?? We need to meet at the brewery across the street afterwards. I'll be the one with the big SMILE on my face!!

Meeeeee!!.....if it stops snowing so I can get outta Dodge! :rolleyes:

DIVA...I would love to hear him sing Ave Maria...I am not sure which one is Gounod's...but I know two versions...I have different singers singing both songs on my ipod and I pray that I will hear Clay sing one of them in the future.

Although....I have to say I will have to temper my expectations because he probably won't sing it in a classical way. Now I have heard Ave Maria sang by other pop singers...my own favorite version was Karen Carpenters....but she sang it in a really soft reverential way. I wonder how Clay will interpret that song.

I rarely wish that Clay would "cover" songs....but this one is my "all-time-keep-your-fingers-crossed-every-single-year" wishlist piece as well. I think it would be completely amazing.

couchie, sitting front few rows, dead centre, puts you right in front of Jesse & the piano. So you would only see the part of Clay that is elevated above that (waist up, who knows). I sat 5th row, slightly left of centre and could see Clay full body, and both girls. So in my opinion, at least 5 rows (or farther) back, slightly off centre is best.

Slightly off centre is not only best, but a position most of us occupy much of the time. :P

Oh, and it's NOT a fold.

:cryingwlaughter:

Can anyone here get some extra copies? I'd love to have one.

I see it's already been taken care of, but for any other Canadians, Chapters usually has them...and they're usually at least a day late, so that gives you time to get there.

I haven't been able to view or DL (yet....) much clack from this tour as RL has intervened bigtime. I'm off to my concerts on Friday hopefully, and am really looking forward to being relatively unspoilered for this tour. I have what looks like being good seats to all the venues for once in my life, and a new, smaller camera that I hope will be able to get some decent concert pics for my use. I usually just take a few for my personal souvenirs...mine aren't up to clack quality.

The other thing I am greatly enjoying doing since I bought it, is recording with my Zen. The quality of the file is decent, could probably be improved with some audio editing...and I just love having this audio souvenir as well!

Looking forward to seeing/meeting whoever is going to be in Williamsport, Erie, Minneapolis, Merrillville. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

OK, I am heading out to get my NYT - I would get it for others, but you are aware that the paper costs a dollar and is huge and you probably don't want anything but the ad.....

It is freaking $5 here. So I only got 2 extra. If anyone wants one let me know.

ETA: Spoken for.

Well maybe I missed something but I haven't seen anyone throwing boulders your way. I've seen people posting their thoughts in the same fashion that your post yours. :shrug: Just what consitutes throwing boulders? Having a different opinion?

That said I can proudly say I don't give a shit about reviews, of any kind. I think they're pretty pointless when done in a local paper for a one off show. It isn't like your gonna save someone from going if it's awful or talk someone into going if it's great.