#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

As to that Albany review - I might believe it was unprejudiced if the guy did not throw in crappy not-music review comments and basically made stupid remarks.

It's hard to decide which would be more depressing:

Clay Aiken and his handlers actually believing that his holiday concert Friday night at the Palace Theatre was interesting and enjoyable.

Aiken and crew cynically deciding to put minimal entertainment value into the 21-date "Christmas in the Heartland" tour because they know his fervent fans, called Claymates, will automatically purchase tickets and be satisfied merely by seeing him yet again.

Well that is a boatload of crap - lets just makes something up insulting. This has nothing to do with the concert and is just nasty.

Aiken has vocal power, and yet he chose to really show it off no more than a few times, including in a big, albeit brief, windup of Memphis strut at the end of "Winter Wonderland" and the full-throated finish of "O Come All Ye Faithful." The best vocals all night were from backup singers Angela Fisher and the thrilling Quiana Parler.

Ah, he obviously did not listen to All is Well, or a few other songs either. Nope, not all songs were loud and not all songs should be, Oh wait - these songs all sounded alike,... or did they?

two dozen predictable, same-sounding tunes mostly arranged like generic mall-store Christmas music,
What mall does he shop at, I want to go there. Same sounding? he definitely needs ear cleaner.

Here is an e-mail he sent to Daughtry fans

Karen:

Thanks for writing. My mail in reaction to the review has come in two

varieties: "You got it right. Go, Chris!" and "Taylor Hicks won and America

was right, so just get over it, you big sore loser." I'm glad your email

fell into the former category, even if it has a much smaller total than the

latter.

To my eyes and ears, the concert didn't come alive until Chris performed at

the start of the second half. He blew the roof off the arena with a monster

version of Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love."

The Soul Patrol has been clobbering for two days. Oy. But, as I've reviewed

all five American Idols Live concerts as well as Clay Aiken solo, I'm well

aware of -- and fully immune to -- attacks from fans, organized or not.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your kind words.

Curiously, when I wrote an interview with Aiken that his fans found

interesting, I got dozens of thank-you emails from all over the world. Huh.

best,

--steve barnes

So he loves Daughtry, who stands on a box by a microphone and doesn't move, but

the concert featured a black-suited Aiken standing still atop a high platform halfway back on the stage.He didn't step out from behind his microphone stand and move around at all until the final, pre-encore song of the evening, meaning the performer closest to the audience for two hours was conductor-arranger-pianist Jesse Vargas, whose back was to the crowd the whole time.
is no good. Oh, and Clay never stepped from behind his microphoine, he just moved a little more.

Then he reviews Kathy Griffith and loves her jokes about Aiken and doesn't mind repeating them.

And, by the way, his expertise is reviewing restaurants.

I like most of MCWL, but agree with some of the ideas for reworking it that Clay mentioned in the M&G. My dream, though, is that he brings the finger snaps back to Mary Did You Know, and adds the oooooo's at the end. If we ever got that combination, I just might not be able to turn it off. As it is, I still have toni7babe's isolated audio of I'll Be Home for Christmas from New Brunswick on repeat. Dang that Clay Aiken. I don't even like Christmas music.

To some extent, I agree with Clay about MCWL. He sings the songs on MCWL very differently when he's singing them live. He takes some of the tempos slower (WAYDNE), uses a lot more rubato and sings them in a jazzier, almost sultry manner. Others, he takes faster (WW and SR) and makes them bouncier and happier. Although I love the quality of the recording on MCWL, I really do like how he sings them live. I'm sooooo grateful for good-quality audio clack, so that I can enjoy these songs the way Clay likes to sing them.

I think this is basically me too...but I have some theories on this.

1) MCWL (the album) was pretty much another "quickie" IMO. Not saying that was a bad thing, per se, but I can see where Clay, now that he's had a few years to play around with these songs, would want to make a newer version of these things.

2) Concert settings always seem to allow Clay to change versions and songs and such. ISY, to me, is the perfect example. He's done a lot of the same stuff with the Christmas album, so that doesn't really surprise me.

3) I pulled out my copy of MCWL to look at the producers for each track. To my surprise, my favorites on the album are the ones by Walter Afanasieff (save for one, WAYDNYE). I'm kinda glad to know that my likes are mirroring Clay's likes in this instance. *g*

Read the Albany review. I will actually probably pull it over to the news thread today or tomorrow -- us librarians tend to keep the good AND the bad. Anyway, it's OK that he didn't like the show, even if I don't agree. (I do think it interesting that we got this guy reviewing practically the same day that we got Sean McManus doing his best fanguy impersonation over the Poughkeepsie show. Talk about whiplash!)

He did seem to have a much larger hand in AIW and it's something he truly loves. Good for him. More autonomy over his projects are something I guess that comes with time and success...and time hee. perhaps a long long time. But Clay's not special in that regard..it's par for the course in that business. The more he figures out what HE wants and is able to talk about it and impart that to the suits the better I think.

couchie, I love you!

jumpingjacks -- fringe like his hair, as in bangs. :cryingwlaughter:

I should not write long posts, they are out of context by the time I write them and I am off to do the end of laundry. How did I lose an entire basket of laundry? I carried it to the first floor, but not to the basement, now it is nowhere in the house! Duh!!!

I spent a good portion of the first part of my fandom being goofy, silly, and just all about the fun. I found out, quickly, that this was a serious business and got slapped pretty hard for not taking it seriously. It was then that I realized that I really didn't get the whole message board concept. I thought it was supposed to be fun and it stopped being fun.

I too spent the first part of my fandom being goofy, silly etc. and you know what I liked it so much I never quit! I do not care one iota what others think about me and my opinions! No-one is going to rain on my parade. I am probably the fangirliest fangirl that ever fangirled and I will not apologize for it. Clay Aiken brings me so much joy and I have met some wonderful people, that I never would have known otherwise. These people have become real friends whom I love very much!

I have had some pretty hard knocks in the last few years and my fandom has been a lifeline! I have been told I'm too old to be doing this, I'm crazy and a lot of other not so nice things but I just ignore them and say a few choice things under my breath*g*

No-one has to like everything I like but as long as they don't tell me what to like then we will get along fine. That's why I tend to scroll at other boards except this one 'cos every one here has their own opinion and it is respected. I really like it that you don't try to convert me to your way of thinking.

Now if a certain person would stop posting the Snoflake pic the all would be well*G*

The fandom was fun and still is fun and I hope always will be!

I should not write long posts, they are out of context by the time I write them and I am off to do the end of laundry. How did I lose an entire basket of laundry? I carried it to the first floor, but not to the basement, now it is nowhere in the house! Duh!!!

BWAH!!! This is funny because it sounds all too familiar . . .

Posted by Spotlightlover at the CH:

NOTE: I have permission from CH mods to post this because apparently the truth was revealed sometime ago on the Clayboard and just didn't get around to everybody.

I received an email from a fan I know. This lady was one of the M&G attendees who actually heard it from the horse's mouth. She wrote me that she lurks at the Clackhouse and was surprised at how many people here were still wondering about the shaved-arms secret. Here is what she wrote me:

Quote:

I was one of the lucky fans in that M&G at Canandaigua, NY on the 19th of July. I don't know why it's still not known to some of the CH members when it was revealed already by another lucky fan at the CB. I guess nobody had read, forwarded and posted it at CH. Honestly, it's not really a big deal or a big secret as many fans had already speculated about it correctly. Clay just liked to tease us at the time. He said that after watching earlier clips of the SRHP show, they saw that he was so "blindingly" white in most of them and it's not good for the show nor the video or the clack, so it was suggested to him to get some tan but it wouldn't stick to his skin due to his thick hairs on his arms and needed to be shaved. That's all there is to it.

I have emailed her back to ask if he actually said it wasn't good for "the clack". If so -- how adorable. He shaved his arms for MEEEEEE!

KAndre clutches her precious MCWL in one hand and her bloody spork in the other...

Back, you heathens! That includes you, Clay! Back, I say!

See, we don't have to open with "Please don't hurl rocks at me". We can open posts with threats as well.

Goes "pbbbbbbbbt" at Clay...

Hey, I got my Xmas album, thankyewverymuch! It's called Merry Christmas With Love and he's never, EVER getting it back! BWAH HA HA HA!

I'll buy the new one too through.

See, we don't have to open with "Please don't hurl rocks at me". We can open posts with threats as well.

Hey, I got my Xmas album, thankyewverymuch! It's called Merry Christmas With Love and he's never, EVER getting it back! BWAH HA HA HA!

bwah... and word baby word!

to see WTF I ordered and try to remember who I got it for!

BWAH! cha cha! :cryingwlaughter: I'm more of the kind who buys this and that whenever I see something in the stores, then hides them somewhere and finds them around March or so when looking through the closet for something, you know?

"Oh, here Alex. I got this for you for a Christmas present but then forgot I'd bought it. heh." :rolleyes:^_^

bottlecap, that last fivegoldens picture is a killer! :Thud:

We got our tree! Carrie called it Buster. She always gives our trees a name. Alex went with us and at first was going to wear this strappy high-heeled shoes! To go tree hunting! I talked her out of that but now she's wearing them to take videos back to the video store...When I told her, "Good grief! We're going to look for Christmas trees! You'll ruin those shoes---they make no sense!", She said, "I don't care about that---besides, people would probably just be jealous that THEY don't have any like them!"

I like her attitude. :preachit:

Anybody want to come put the lights on our tree? That's my job and I truly do not like it. I'll pay you... :imgtongue:

Hush, I won't be getting my tree for another week!

Anyways, SCORE! I just found a gift I bought for my sister about 10 years ago. No need to worry about shopping for her now, heh. I thought I gave it to her already, who knew, and the wonders of moving furniture for the first time in mumblety mumble years.

I also have a pile of things still in the original wrapping that I no longer want - gifts for the women's shelter!

Clay, well, Ihave to agree that JOY! in the middle of the album always bugs me, makes me jump, I keep forgettingit is going to happen.

YAY finished decorating the house...I looks great!!!

What makes me happiest...my girls did the bulk of the work! Sam took charge of our family room...she rearranges some old ornaments and made popcorn garlands. Tay and I took charge of our tree...putting it up, the lights and the garland...it turned out great. They even helped in clean up!!!

NOW I;m pooped.

As much as I liked MCWL...I do agree that some of the songs can do soe reworking. The arrangements did sound rather boring and old on some of them. I would love for him to do OHN the way he does in concerts...same with WADNYE and TCS and just about everything he is singing right now. MCWL was just his second CD and I don;t think he was very confident in giving his own input on the productions...now he totally knows what he wants.

Play...thanks for bringing those parts of the Albany review...I didn't read it...don;t need the hassle but it does explain why some people were going on about it in other places. I just don't really care anymore if a reviewer didn;t like a show...its part of the territory.

Boy I sure wish I can find some hidden gifts in my closet... I still need to get something for my friend... I still need to do the major gifts for the girls and hubby and to do christmas baking. That will be this coming week.

I just love having Christmas decorations up!!! makes the house look sooo pretty....

KAndre clutches her precious MCWL in one hand and her bloody spork in the other...

I'm with you on this KAndre, I love that CD. It's my favorite Christmas CD ever, I'll admit to not having very many, but I've heard a lots over the years. This season especially as I've been out and about hearing Christmas music, I hear so many songs that Clay has either recorded or sung live and I almost without exception prefer his versions, I might be biased, but that's the way I feel about it. No doubt, I'd buy the new one too, you never can have too much Clay Aiken, you know. When I put together my own Clay Christmas mix, I moved JTTW to a different place and it didn't seem as jarring.

Anybody want to come put the lights on our tree? That's my job and I truly do not like it. I'll pay you... :imgtongue:

I'd like to pay someone too... our tree is still laying in our backyard, but now buried under the 5" or so of snow we got this last week... :( Every year, the idea of getting a pre-lit artificial tree is sounding better and better... do they come with the ornaments on them already too? :cryingwlaughter:

Every year, the idea of getting a pre-lit artificial tree is sounding better and better... do they come with the ornaments on them already too? :cryingwlaughter:

Hee, since I just bought one, I can tell you that yes, some of them do! :lol: However, I opted for just the pre-lit model, and decorated it with the ornaments that I've been collecting over the years....some of them are nothing more than a film canister with antlers :cryingwlaughter: but they are sentimental.

to see WTF I ordered and try to remember who I got it for!

BWAH! cha cha! :cryingwlaughter: I'm more of the kind who buys this and that whenever I see something in the stores, then hides them somewhere and finds them around March or so when looking through the closet for something, you know?

"Oh, here Alex. I got this for you for a Christmas present but then forgot I'd bought it. heh." :rolleyes:^_^

Well - there's quite a bit of all that going on too! I just found some things in a closet from a couple of years ago!! DOUBLE SCORE!! :cryingwlaughter:

I love MCWL, but I like his concert versions better and I MUCH prefer the production of AIW.

I think it's interesting that some people worry that Clay doesn't have a musical vision, but I think that he clearly does (he just hasn't always been allowed to exercise it).

As for positive/negative, good fan/bad fan, discussion/celebration. I just like to stay with the positive and try to ignore everything else as my life has had enough hell to last a lifetime. I see no purpose to bringing unnecessary misery onboard. I have a list of people whose posts I NEVER read.

Works for me.

I should not write long posts, they are out of context by the time I write them

playbiller, welcome to my world.

And another thing, when ya write these long ass posts :chatting: nobody reads them properly, and if ya have a 'burning question' or two, the poor things just burn themselves out and and you know, just kinda "go up in smoke"

I give you Exhibit A:

First burning question..... What pamphlets?????? I lurve pamphlets!!!!!! My Clay box under the bed is pretty full already but a pamphlet doesn't take much space. ;)

I'm really embarressed :blush: to ask this, but I feel I should know. Here goes......

What....is....sporking??? If this is eHP super secret language please forgive my forwardness and deduct three spaces.

Last but not least, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for those darling little pins that arrived in a snowstorm this week. I think I'll wear one on my coat to church tomorrow....now which one shall I choose....doing Clay Aiken or sans doing..... hmmmmmm :lipstick:

:icon_smile_feedback:

I would of quoted the whole quote but I'm sure you read parts of it cause you're nice folks and all. hee. Nothing much else going on up here except my hair is nice and short and shiny and bobbing around my old face. *g*

:sickyet:

Anyhoo....I FLOVED Bookwhore's status report of her Christmas preparations. BWAH! As I sit here with boxes of decorations in the middle of the living room floor---the only sign of the holidays being one lone cinnamon-scented candle burning and the lights outside (not currently on)--not ONE present bought yet and not many GOING to be bought this year---Honey, I'm with YOU!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, muskifest, and Bookwhore and all you other darling procrastinators out there.....for a minute there i thought, as I was reading ( not scanning, mind you) all those shopping, cleaning, decorating efficiency reports that i did not belong here after all. :bow28:

Note: I just used this emoticon here cause I thought it was cool, not because it was appropriate or anything.

I really should say something about Clay. Hmmm. I really love Clay. Well, duh.

Oh I know.

These last four years, going to a Clay Aiken Christmas concert has become an important and cherished part of my own preparation for this Holy Season. Each series of concerts have been different, but I have taken home special memories of each one. I am looking forward to that unique blessing that the concerts in Minneapolis will uncover for me.

It probably won't have anything to do with how Clay parts his hair, or if he wears his glasses or not, or what mood he's in. (not that I don't have preferences or anything shhhhhhhh)

Until the 19th, it will remain an expectant mystery that is yet to unfold in the magic of that evening; when the culmination of the happiness of meeting old and new friends, of hearing the cry of violins, of experiencing the beauty of the darkness and dancing lights, and finally, of letting that clear pure voice soar through my very soul with the message of Christmas, enfold me and fill me with joy.

Then, I know, I will once more have something exquisite to remember and take home with me.

Maybe you'll think I set my expectations way too high. Maybe so, but Clay exceeds my small hopes every time.

Regarding long posts; This post has been brought to you by two loads of laundry and one dinner preparation.hellosanta.gif

**pets and kisses pretty MCWL**

I LOOOOVE MCWL!! It makes me sort of disappointed that he doesn't like MCWL that much. I'm one that likes the more traditional (old-fashioned) arrangements of most Christmas songs, so it's the perfect cup of tea for me. That's not to say I would not purchase and listen to a new Christmas album of reworked songs.

I did get a hearty chuckle out of Clay's saying that a CD/DVD set at $25 would be too expensive for the buyer. :cryingwlaughter: You'd think he'd know us better by now. I think many of us would fork over the $25 so fast it would make his head spin. Ok, maybe that's just me.

About the pre-lit trees....they are great..until one string burns out. Then yoy have a big dark gap in the middle of your tree. Plus, the trees are a lot heavier than a regular artificial tree. My tree comes in four section that plug into each other and then into the wall. I can only carry one section at a time up from the basement..there's no way I can pull the whole box up the stairs by myself. This year two sections are out and I had to add strings of lights. One more section goes out and this tree is going to the dumpster. It's only 5 years old, max.