#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

Clay said he is cheesey and this frightens some. they are afraid he will record cheesey music.

I think he uses the terms because so many fans have decided that is what he is and use it so often - a self fullfilling prohecy so to speak.

ETA - I see you figured it out without anyone telling you. Pretty funny.

Clay said he is cheesey and this frightens some. they are afraid he will record cheesey music.

I think he uses the terms because so many fans have decided that is whatg he is and use it so often - a self fullfilling prohecy so to speak.

Boy, isn't that the truth... if they call him cheesy, it's ok, but if he says he is, he needs to cut.it.out...

Make up yer mind cuz yer makin' my head spin!!! :cryingwlaughter:

So no, I don't think some boards are are about actual individual posters ( well, snerk, maybe not altogether true) but some boards are more interested in opinions of what he did wrong, what he should change to suit each individual (impossible, IMO, why bother singing?) than about enjoying the artist. More about critical deconstruction, which I personally don't see the point of, for my own fandom.

Got it! Thanks for this addition, djs---I agree with this, fo' sho'! It does seem that for some, this 'ride' they've chosen to take with Clay is more as an opportunity to pontificate about woulda/shoulda/coulda than to enjoy what IS! Drives me nuts...It's so freaking predictable, which is also annoying. <_< It's come to the point that I could pretty much write SOME people's posts FOR them---what they'll have to say about this or that is so very certain.

What-evah. I'm lovin' this crazy, convoluted journey with this infinitely fascinating and enigmatic man. I don't always think he does THE best thing or make THE best choice (as if I know what that would be! :cryingwlaughter: ), but I'll be damned if I haven't enjoyed the results of everything he's tried! Maybe not equally, but I've had fun careening around every single curve!

Couchie,

Glad to hear your mom is doing better. Usually I just lurk, but decided to add an avatar while I have my 12 year old grandson, who is better on the computer than I am.

I hope that all of you are having a great holiday season! Wow he can do lots of stuff I don't know how to do! Too bad he doesn't live in Houston. I'm visiting his family in Dallas.

Ok, how do you use emoticons from your photobucket account in your email?

Use emoticons in e-mail? I am usually pretty serious when I e-mail.happyguy.gif

Not everyone is you, Couchie. Itis not a joke of the number of new fans driven away by the OFC or by reading the big boards. It happened to new fans, and it happened to old fans as well. It is one thing when you decide to have a life, but when you are told to be unhappy, when you are edited for being happy, it pisses you off and no one needs that. the interesting thing about Clay is he brought a lot of people to forums that were not experiencedin them and didn't know about just looking for another. I felt like a gate keeper for a while when I posted there are boards where people are not always unhappy and got about 100 PMs from people looking for those boards - I sent them to the main page here to search through the forums, hope that was OK, Hee, and I suggested a few less combative ones.

Playbiller, this touches on a thought I was having as I read through the discussion here this evening. I had composed a

post, probably my most eloquent ever, (Ha) and then I lost it.

I know it's not a good idea to put labels on posters iePositive Pollyanna, and Negative Nelly or good fan/bad fan and most don't like it when discussions seem to devolve into those labels, but I found out recently that there are bad fans. I believe that they have hurt Clay and this fandom. See, they don't think there is anything wrong with their opinions either. Many of us watched as the posts these people made on some boards were quoted and worded and accepted as fact, no, not by everyone but we'll never know how many they took with them or just plain scared away. Sadly, I think that if people read/hear something enough they start to take it as fact.

I am a fan of Clay Aiken, that's why I spend a good part of every day here. I'd say he pleases me with his looks, his performances and his entertainment methods 95% of the time. I always feel like I more than get my money's worth at his concerts and on his CDs. So, for the maybe 5% of things that don't please me, I'm willing to cut him some slack.

One of the things that concerns me as a fan is, where would you tell a new fan or a NJU to come on the internet to find out more about Clay? I think some new fans would be scratching their heads and thinking they landed in an alternate universe if they came to many of Clay's "fan" boards. When I came to the Clay message boards, I found a fandom that was mostly charged up and happy and looking forward to all of the opportunities that were there for Clay, I think it would be different for someone new coming on board now. Don't get me wrong, I think there is still much to look forward to, it's just that often times the focus is on what we don't get as opposed to what we do.

As the old song goes "accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. Don't go with Mr. in between." I know this doesn't work with everyone, but it sure makes my life easier. Getting older and trying to stay healthy is difficult enough without stressing out about how a singer hits certain notes. Or what type of song he elects to sing. Or how much he weighs. No one had better ask me that question. I absolutely believe in the power of positive thinking on one's well being.

I am the consumer, he is the seller. If I like what he sells I buy it. It should be as simple as that to me. Except for the fact that I do support him in his humanitarian endeavors. I do support the BAF and UNICEF. I love his voice and would like him to continue performing. So I do what I think will acheive these goals and it is not by being his critic.

I am loving all this publicity he is getting forUNICEF. I made my donation to his current challange. i hope everyone can give even just a little to help those flood victims in Mexico. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

As per the "rose-colored glasses":- luckily for me, there hasn't been a whole hell of a lot that Clay has done that I haven't enjoyed. I did post a month or so ago about one thing from a couple years back that DIDN'T thrill me, and I knew that I was in a very small minority on that issue. I guess the difference is that, for me- if there is something that I don't enjoy, I just don't feel the need to go blaring it all over the boards. Yeah, yeah, I know- that's the whole purpose of HAVING the boards, right? To express our feelings about Clay? Well, yeah, but just as I wouldn't particularly enjoy having my boss at work point out EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING I HAVE EVER DONE WRONG ON THE JOB- including my failures to dot every i and cross every t- I don't particularly enjoy reading negative opinions on everything that Clay does either. I find it very draining, when I mainly come to the boards to keep up on information, and to hopefully share in the fun of being a fan. And while the scroll button is a wonderful invention- as was the "ignore" button on a board or two that I frequented in the past- it doesn't always do the job. Because that post that you scrolled by can then be quoted and requoted ad nauseum- both by people who agree with it, and those who take issue with it.

This is me in a nutshell, too. No, I don't love everything Clay does (really, I don't) but I just don't feel the need to post about it. Others do. I scroll the best I can, and I avoid places that seem to thrive on constant criticism. That's just my way of enjoying my fandom.

I agree with lucky and lajeterfan. I don't consider myself a Pollyanna, but I don't find a need to post about the things I don't like about Clay. Fortunately, there aren't very many things I don't like, but there certainly are some: I don't care for the blonde hair, and I prefer him without glasses. I think that he sings gorgeously for the most part, but he occasionally sings some notes verrrry harshly. I was just thinking today how my former voice teacher would make him stop every time he sings like that and create a warmer tone to his voice! I thought that the JNT 05 skits were just okay. And there have been other things that I didn't care for, as well, that I don't remember at this point.

But for the most part, I don't post about these things, and this is why: for me, personally, paying attention to and talking about negative things can be depressing. For me, life is a whole lot more enjoyable if I choose to pay attention to things that make me happy. I acknowledge that the less-than-stellar things are there, but since they don't add value to my life, I don't pay attention to them. I'd rather spend my time and energy on things that make me happy. And I'm a whole heck of a lot happier (and more pleasant to be around!) than I was when I paid attention to things I didn't like about my life, myself, people around me, and people like Clay!

I fully respect and support free speech and the opportunity for other people to post their opinions, positive or negative. I just have no need or desire to pay attention to things that don't add value or happiness to my life. So, I may read criticisms of Clay, but I don't have a need to refute them or expend energy being upset about them.

That doesn't mean that I think that I'm right and people who post something they don't like are wrong. It's just the way that we choose to express our fandom is different. Vive la differance! Life would be pretty boring if everyone expressed themselves the same way.

The preceeding part of this post was brought to you by zen-r-us. ^_^

My mom's discharged YAY.
Yay, that's good to hear!!!

(yes, I'm behind on everything including Clay... hee!)

Hmmm. Beind Clay? Sounds pretty darn nice. Exactly what are you doing back there??? :naughtywag:

And thank you for the wonderful Capitol One clack!! :thankyou:

I truly believe there are people in this fandom who want a board where nothing even remotely negative can ever be said, or even thought, about Clay - and from what I understand, there are boards out there for them. I suspect there are fans who want a board where they can criticize Clay 24/7 (and where they EXPECT him to listen because he OWES them his ear) - and I would bet there is a board out there for them too. I want neither. Give me a board where one can talk freely, discuss openly, bitch and moan, throw a few things at each other and then start simultaneous drooling, smutting and changing of one's undergarments, sprnkled with a true appreciation of all the aspects of the man.

Tall order? At one time, to be sure. But now there's this board, which just like Clay, is something to treasure, warts and all. Just take a look around the fandom and you'll know it's true!

CG, I agree. Despite what I just wrote, I don't want an all-positive board, either. It's not fun AT ALL when discussions of any sort are stifled. And obviously, I don't fit in an all-negative board, either. FCA is just right! We can have intelligent conversations and allow each other to express opinions without being offended if we don't feel the same way. And we can have fun, too!! :headbangerf: :twinklewhore: :thumbup:

One of the things that concerns me as a fan is, where would you tell a new fan or a NJU to come on the internet to find out more about Clay? I think some new fans would be scratching their heads and thinking they landed in an alternate universe if the came to many of Clay's "fan" boards. When I came to the Clay message boards, I found a fandom that was mostly charged up and happy and looking forward to all of the opportunities that were there for Clay, I think it would be different for someone new coming on board now. Don't get me wrong, I think there is still much to look forward to, it's just that often times the focus is on what we don't get as opposed to what we do.

I honestly don't know how to answer this. Play has given us board names before. I would probably send people to FCA main and CLayNation News and a clack unlimited. Having only read here for two weeks I stupidly thought all was well out there until I looked around tonight and people are upset about all manner of things. I was actually shocked. So, I have no recommendations. You don't need to be immersed in the message boards to be a fan. But I would love for everyone to know what he's up to, when he's on tv, when he's on tour, when he has a new album out. And CNN is good enough for that.

WOW it took me a long time to catch up this evening!!!!

Great discussion....I found myself nodding at so many posters in all sides....Yes I am tired of the constant negativity but I definitely do not want a stepford board where only positive thinking are allowed. I do believe that we are all complaining about extremes here. Unfortunately...on some boards...these extreme posters do dominate and affects the mood of the board...I really think moderation is the key.

I have come to the point that laughn states...I am not letting other people's opinion affect me...I achieved that by leaving the environment that I found to be toxic to my stress level. I just find that constant negativity is like water torture. Now I do not mind the occasional drops of rain on my parade.. even the rare deluge...but the constant drip drip of negativity is just maddening. So I leave that board and find a place that suits me better. That board will go on and "enjoy" their fandom in their way...

CG...thanks for your post on FCA...I do believe its the board that it is because the members keep it that way. We all want a place where celebrating Clay and having fun is the main focus. I know that in other boards we are getting a rep of being meanies because we allow discussions about fan behaviors or talk about boards on the board...but I do think that its healthier to talk about things that bother us in the open rather than taking passive aggressive swipes at each other. I also think that if its fair game to talk about what Clay does that bothers some fans...then its just fair game to talk about what the fans does to bother us...frankly that stresses me more than anything that Clay ever does.

JJ...great news...what a special gift..will pray for a positive outcome...

I just shake my head and laugh at what stresses people...That skating show had so much great singing and great publicity for Clay..so glad he did it.

Oh...about multiples of spamalot...for me the only thing that will limit me is finances. But I can see going to two or even three ...but with ticket prices, I think if I can go to New York I may have to just see one or two.

Has anyone watched the behind the scenes stuff with Sasha and Clay....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too cute for words. She even says at one point..."you're so cute".

CV has it in the vault and I don't have a clue how to bring over the link...sorry.

Places that were nice enough to welcome and accept me when I was getting very depressed by the boards were Heartful house - people knew each other and discussed family and jobs and everything and welcomed news about Clay but not the fore front of news, IDF - pretty much clear of trolls, mostly kids talkign about homework, but if you get very upset about gay comments, you would not like the casual way some fans think of Clay, no arguing, various opinions, but arguing not encouraged, but if you get out of the aikenforums, the fans wars live and it can be brutal, Simpley Clay, I haven't been there for a long time, but it was a calm place for a while and TTC is a smaller and quieter place now, they do cluzzles every day and talk about sales.

I don't hang in as many places anymore, time is more of an issue for being online. I am on for 10 minutes and then off doing something then on 10 minutes again pretty much all day, except when I start a large project and disappear for 4 hours or so or go some where and disappear for 12 hours or so. Basically, you can look, see if they suit your style. No place is perfect, everyone has flaws, but these are calmer places in the fan emotions.

I agree with lucky and lajeterfan. I don't consider myself a Pollyanna, but I don't find a need to post about the things I don't like about Clay.

But for the most part, I don't post about these things, and this is why: for me, personally, paying attention to and talking about negative things can be depressing. For me, life is a whole lot more enjoyable if I choose to pay attention to things that make me happy. I acknowledge that the less-than-stellar things are there, but since they don't add value to my life, I don't pay attention to them. I'd rather spend my time and energy on things that make me happy. And I'm a whole heck of a lot happier (and more pleasant to be around!) than I was when I paid attention to things I didn't like about my life, myself, people around me, and people like Clay!

I fully respect and support free speech and the opportunity for other people to post their opinions, positive or negative. I just have no need or desire to pay attention to things that don't add value or happiness to my life. So, I may read criticisms of Clay, but I don't have a need to refute them or expend energy being upset about them.

That doesn't mean that I think that I'm right and people who post something they don't like are wrong. It's just the way that we choose to express our fandom is different. Vive la differance! Life would be pretty boring if everyone expressed themselves the same way.

Great post, Gibby!

The fact is, different fans have different interests and sensitivities. I'm more like you, luckiest, and lajeterfan. I don't love everything Clay does, but I don't like to dwell on things that don't thrill me. Criticizing him just doesn't give me any pleasure. I find myself a happier person when I concentrate on positives, rather than negatives.

However, I realize that not everyone is that way. Some enjoy critical analysis, and have a strong need to express all their feelings, the disappointments as well as the joys. As someone who isn't that way, it took me a while to recognize that such individuals really do love Clay as much as I do. They just process him in a different way.

Personally, I really don't enjoy criticisms of Clay. I'm not embarrassed by the comments or by the possibility of Clay seeing them. (I don't believe he reads the boards as much as people want to believe, and I think he's smart enough to take fan opinion for what it's worth.) I just feel uncomfortable hearing negative things about people I care about. I tend to feel defensive, and it makes me sad when others are unhappy with him.

However, I realize that is my issue, and I try to deal with it. I respect the fact that there are those who find such discussions stimulating, and who may even find satisfaction in having a place where they can feel free to vent their their feelings. And I think that it's good that the boards are there for them.

Like couchie, for me, it's all about tone. If the critical posts are respectful of him and not derisive or cruel, they don't bother me that much. However, if opinions are made using language that (to me) seems highly insulting to him, I have to scroll. And quite frankly, if across a board, angry, bitter complaints far outweigh any appreciation or praise, I'm sorry, but I have to withdraw. I just cannot enjoy the online fandom when that happens. For me, life is too short to wallow in disappointment.

Has anyone watched the behind the scenes stuff with Sasha and Clay....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too cute for words. She even says at one point..."you're so cute".

CV has it in the vault and I don't have a clue how to bring over the link...sorry.

Yes, it's extreeeemly cute! I think they really enjoyed each other. Clay plays chopsticks on the piano! Heee, I have that silly Clay grin again.

Like couchie, for me, it's all about tone. If the critical posts are respectful of him and not derisive or cruel, they don't bother me that much. However, if opinions are made using language that (to me) seems highly insulting to him, I have to scroll. And quite frankly, if across a board, angry, bitter complaints far outweigh any appreciation or praise, I'm sorry, but I have to withdraw. I just cannot enjoy the online fandom when that happens. For me, life is too short to wallow in disappointment.

I agree 100%, Jenna!

I think I'll schedule an appointment tomorrow to get my hearing checked, I just didn't hear some of the vocal problems during DSIAFCD on the skating special that so many others did. (I've just read repeated comments elsewhere) I just rewatched the download and still didn't notice it, The volume on my laptop is low and I can't get it to adjust, so I'm going to rewatch my tape. I don't remember so many criticisms of the performance from the Clack that was shown right after the taping. Maybe it's my own rose colored glasses and earphones that don't allow me to notice these things. :cryingwlaughter:

christmas_lights_flashing_md_wht.gif

blue_ornament_swinging_md_wht.gif HUGS TO ALL!! snowflake_tumbling_md_wht.gif

christmas_lights_flashing_md_wht.gif

I'm about 13 poages behind, and trying to catch up, so just want to wish everyone a jolly holiday season......... I like these emoticons bottle! I'll be here reading for another hour or so!!

We had a great Christmas. chachadotter#2 arrived home on Thursday and Friday all the rest of the chirrin and their spouses came over to spend the night and get ready for the party on Saturday. Our parties all seem to last about 12 hours no matter what time we start - this one started about 4 pm. Around 1 am we started playing a game and about 4:30 we called a cab for my niece and helped her in. Sunday we all crept around moaning!

The video marathon of this year was the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice - the one with Colin Firth... we managed to watch all 6 hours of it between Monday and Wednesday! Then we watched 2 Indiana Jones movies.. the first and the third. What's your favorite line?? I love when Henry sticks his head out of the the tank and says "You call this archaeology??!??!!?"

Today my dotters 1&2 talked me into going and working out, so I spent time on a stationary bike and a few of the other machines. What a way to end the holidays!! Tomorrow it's back to work for most of us!!

skatebanner1.jpg

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I've been a member here for a long time but I don't post. I really needed a respite from some of the harsh criticism going on so I thought I'd drop in and I see so many familiar names and a few friends here. I don't know if I can catch up so I hope it is okay to just jump in and say hi. I'll be back to join you all soon.

Welcome, skybar22!

People who post "helpful advice" don't seem to give any thought to the fact that some other fans liked him just fine, or that Clay is doing what other artists do - the artists create their vision, everybody else takes it or leaves it. That is how I thought it should work. And some criticism seems really to be implying that people who are happy are kinda inferior, and that the critic is some more important uber-fan who must be pleased - honestly, where does that stop? I am not interested in anyone else's Clay Aiken, I am interested in what Clay chooses to do. Anyone who posts on behalf of "the fans" really either just means themself, or is blowing hot air, because usually I disagree. I don't recall voting for any other fan to represent me, it is ridiculous.

Back when I still thought this stuff was funny, I guessed that maybe there was a whole group of Picasso fans who sent him letters telling him that having a Blue period was just too depressing, and that he would please more people (themselves) if he switched to a more cheery yellow. The correct answer back would be pffft! Just don't buy a painting! I hear some guy is painting quite nice sunflowers! Go see him!

So many great posts here this morning, but this one really summed it up for me (bolding mine), and the last couple of sentences just made me laugh because it's something I've been saying for a few years now! I have no problem if people don't like everything that Clay's doing, or if he is not the kind of artist that they want to follow - there are plenty more out there who probably suit their wants and needs better. What I have a problem with is why they stick around the Clay fandom and criticize, instead of just following someone else? How many tours and albums does he have to release for certain complainers to get it through their thick skulls that maybe, just maybe, he isn't who they want him to be, and probably never will be? :cryingwlaughter: No, I'm not pointing fingers or trying to chase anyone out of the fandom. Everyone has a right to define their own fandom. But for me, personally, why expend so much time and energy on something you don't like, instead of something you do? I'll never understand it.

You guys are skeering me with the talk of harsh criticisms and disappointment out there in the wilds of Claynation. I haven't looked around for a couple of days. I can't even imagine why the angst this time......things have been so great lately! The fantastic ending to the tour in Merrillville, the wonderful Unicef publicity and blogs, and then the freaking amazing Clay Aiken show aka Holiday On Ice.....all that and the promise of Spamalot to come in a couple of weeks. I don't think I wanna know. :fca:

couchie, glad to hear that your mom was sent home. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Welcome, skybar22!

You guys are skeering me with the talk of harsh criticisms and disappointment out there in the wilds of Claynation. I haven't looked around for a couple of days. I can't even imagine why the angst this time......things have been so great lately! The fantastic ending to the tour in Merrillville, the wonderful Unicef publicity and blogs, and then the freaking amazing Clay Aiken show aka Holiday On Ice.....all that and the promise of Spamalot to come in a couple of weeks. I don't think I wanna know. :fca:

couchie, glad to hear that your mom was sent home. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Trust me, unless you have a masochistic streak, you don't wanna go out there!! It's ugly! Sometimes I'm surprised that they haven't blamed Clay yet for global warming and third world debt! :cryingwlaughter: I'm just mad that he hasn't blogged me again like he promised he would on Christmas Eve! Yeah, I wanna be "blogged" by Clay. :hubbahubba:

Welcome to skybar- I still consider myself a "newbie" here- probably always will- but I have read your posts elsewhere and have always enjoyed them, so I'm happy to see you post here.

Glad to hear that your Mama is back home, Couchie- hope she is resting comfortably.

Now, sadly, I've gotta head out to work. I'm sure you all will have lots of good, juicy conversations while I'm gone that I'll be dying to contribute to! I'm hoping to hear more from/about our man in Mexico! Have a great day, everyone!

Clay asked her if she wanted to race. Hee. And can ya tell the man has been to a few photoshoots?

That was very very good stuff. Very good. :wub:

Other than that I'd like to comment on the recent discussion but don't have the time right now.

Yeah. Lucky you. :cryingwlaughter:

But I will say that I really get turned off when I'm having a discussion and a debate breaks out. Like there is some unseen scorer's table and my very thoughts will be graded on how well I supported them w/logic and facts and stuff. Always makes me think .... Who the F' are you? My X husband? Bwah!

Seriously this happens way more on my baseball board probably due to the heavy nature that statistics play in baseball and the fact that it skews male. *g*

Welcome skybar!

jamar said:

..my very thoughts will be graded on how well I supported them w/logic and facts and stuff. Always makes me think .... Who the F' are you? My X husband? Bwah!

Bwahahaha! EXACTLY!!!!!!!! I know exactly what you mean, ex-husband AND an ex-boyfriend......they still don't get it that happy stuff does not need to be justified or somehow squashed or that unhappy (subjective) stuff is NOT nasty medicine I need to take for my own good.

It seemed like they just resented if I was happy about something they didn't like or had no interest in or didn't understand and so I finally decided life is too short to actually LIVE with someone who enjoyed peeing in my Cheerios.

Good Morning All,

I must be the only one in Claynation that has not seen the skating special in its entirety; was only able to catch the first half hour on Christmas and have not had time to watch the whole thing, hoping to be able to tonight.

Loving all the press Clay is getting on his trip to Mexico and I so love seeing him with the kids!

11 Days until The BAF Golf Outing! :

22 Days until Clay is on Broadway!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim