#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

Yay I'm so glad he's going to make it. I've been scrounging my couch for loose change..and I'm only half joking.

I think it was also 100K last time as well.

OK off to make black eye peas for good luck. Do we have a rolling eyes emoticon..but my mom will nag me until they are made. Any other New Years Traditions out there.

We fix Hoppin' John for New Year's dinner. Hoppin' John is a southern dish of black-eyed peas, rice, tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc. that some Cajun families eat for good luck. "Eat lean on New Year's Day, eat fat the rest of the year". Also cabbage leaves are supposed to be good luck for the new year. They symbolize currency.

The black-eyed peas for good luck was so strongly ingrained in me that I literally cannot go to bed on Jan. 1st if I haven't eaten any. I've been known to run to the store at the last minute and buy canned black eyed peas. I'm really not that superstitious about other stuff.

Tomatoes!!!????

Tomatoes??!! In Hopping John??

Nope. No tomatoes here.

Black-eyed peas, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt pork (though in deference to my cholesterol issues I use a small ham steak instead), salt, pepper. Served over rice. ( We don't mix our black-eyed peas with the rice as some recipes suggest.) Must be served with collards (or other greens) for prosperity!

If you like cultural history with your recipes, here's one page that discusses both re: Hopping John. (The names drives from the French word for peas, according to some. "Field peas are also called pigeon peas in the Caribbean. Pois pijon. Or however you spell it in French. Pois pijon said real fast comes out Hoppin' John.")

Hopping John history and recipe!

Or

this blog about the low country in SC!

Here's what they look like!

:)

post-1474-1199158174_thumb.jpg

ETA:

I see Couchie decided to edumacate y'all re: Hopping John, too! :)

And if you don't know what Pot Liquor is, you are missing one of the best things you ever put in your mouth!!!

c65c38de.gif

heh, not a pblack eyed Pea person, so I guess that explains my luck.

I hope everyone here can understand. I think every year with Clay is great. I think this year we got a very varied and documented Clay. I think next year will be great but I don't want to fill in the blanks yet because no two years have been alike jsut yet and I don't want to get caught up in expectations. I hate it when Clay says he has a surprise and people start thinking he wrote and album of songs or was noiminated for a secret grammy or has a starring role in a movie and it turns out he posted new pictures. If people just wondered what the surprise was and didn't set the goal sky hight they would celebrate those pictures, but instead there is a great let down. I am not trying to take the joy out of the fandom, but I would not mind it being a bit more logical.I would rather celebrate what has happened than dream so large that nothing can match it and spend the after disappointed.

Sooooo

Here is to next year, special in it's own ways for each of us and for Clay.

I recommend skipping the first 100 pages of the hobbit. it starts getting interestingthere and each of the next 15 times you read it, you can enjoy the rich details of the first 100 pages.

Feeling lonely when you are with someone, I think I am the expert on that, remember my ex told me I had become boring my 6th month into undiagnosed mono when I full time job and was remodeling a bathroom at night . I had to agree I was boring and mostly wanted to sleep a lot (even at work), but seriously, what ever happened to in sickness and health?

My bills are paid and I will start off the new year with no debt and my good friend Holly by my side while watching this great skating show again. Dog5.gif Life is good.

I've been channel surfing this evening......

:Ahh:

That is all.

I am so emoticon challenged. I can never find anything when I look for it. SO I will just say

Happy New Year to FCA.

Hope 2008 is an exciting, happy and healthy New Year for all.

Happy New Year to you, too, goldarngirl! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And Happy New Year to all of my new friends at FCA!

nyban.gif

Here's to a happy year of friendship, snarkiness and love of Clay! :bier: :ura: :748:

As for boyfriends, I understand the angst about being alone when everyone else is with someone - but the loneliest I've ever been was when I was with someone I seriously wanted to kill and bury in the backyard. I like actual by myself alone MUCH better than with someone loneliness.
So RIGHT!!!

{{{Kareneh}}} and {{{KF}}} Missing you -- let's get together when Kareneh comes home week after next.

What am I doing New Year's Eve? Rendering. Have a pile of clips I should have done yesterday instead of hanging here with y'all watching SofM. (Canandaigua for goldarngirl, Omaha for toni7babe, Merrillville for Claygasm, Cleveland for laughn, Erie for LauraQ's friend, Kalamazoo for LonelyNoMore44, Waukegan for PA, Williamsport for me -- let me know if I promised you something that's not on here) I'm in Houston this year because I completely forgot to plan a trip to Florida to see PerusingOne until it was too late and the airfares were through the roof. :( I could go out but spending this evening watching a cute guy sing is much better than driving around town avoiding the DUI's.

Happy New Year, FCA!!! And yay to everyone for exceeding the UNICEF goal!!!

Looking forward to a good year for all of us!!!

So I'm the only one who liked Moulin Rouge from the start, including David ("Faramir") Wenham's hissy fit as Audrey? Loved the Foundation and Robot series too, Ansa!

Sautee (fresh if you can get them) black-eyed peas in olive oil with herbs de provence and add white wine and simmer.

Cook almost dry. Lots of garlic and onion salt. Pepper.

OMG!!! How could I forget??!!

What am I doing New Year's Eve? Rendering. Have a pile of clips I should have done yesterday instead of hanging here with y'all watching SofM. (Canandaigua for goldarngirl,

You are making me feel guilty. Have a good evening and relax, until 12:01am. Then its a new year and all bets are off. :cryingwlaughter:

Thank you for your hard work. It is sooo appreciated.

Sautee (fresh if you can get them) black-eyed peas in olive oil with herbs de provence and add white wine and simmer.

Cook almost dry. Lots of garlic and onion salt. Pepper.

OMG!!! How could I forget??!!

That sounds good. My friend from Houston just emailed and told me she made blackeyed peas for tomorrow...for luck.

Who knew?

HAPPY NEW YEAR FCA...IT'S BEEN A REAL PLEASURE GETTING TO "KNOW" YOU ALL!!!!

new_year.gif

Here's to health & happiness all around in 2008!

I hate it when Clay says he has a surprise and people start thinking he wrote and album of songs or was noiminated for a secret grammy or has a starring role in a movie and it turns out he posted new pictures. If people just wondered what the surprise was and didn't set the goal sky hight they would celebrate those pictures, but instead there is a great let down. I am not trying to take the joy out of the fandom, but I would not mind it being a bit more logical.I would rather celebrate what has happened than dream so large that nothing can match it and spend the after disappointed.

Sooooo

Here is to next year, special in it's own ways for each of us and for Clay.

My bills are paid and I will start off the new year with no debt and my good friend Holly by my side while watching this great skating show again. Dog5.gif Life is good.

I chuckled at the first paragraph..so true.

But you are so wise Play, in more ways than one!!

Just an FYI: the UNICEF total is now at $108,840. That is so awesome.

goldarngirl, I'm an admin around here and I'm pretty challenged regarding emoticons too. So....

HAPPY NEW YEAR FCA!

I'll wish you all another happy new year in an hour, when it becomes happy new year for us in the midwest! *g*

YouTube

from dreamlarge.

hApPy nEw YeAr!!

Have been off doin' my thang this past couple of weeks. I'm never really comfortable with the "some fans" conversations, so I took a few days and strolled the beach and shopped and gardened (crazy CA weather!) and cleaned out the pantry of all the expired goods, and checked the dates on vitamins and baking supplies and whatnot and restocked all of the necessities... then I re-lined and reorganized the linen closets and my clothes and made goodwill bags. And researched some new recipes and took some pictures and had lunch with friends and caught up on my soaps and watched lots of Food Channel and made enough biscotti to feed the neighborhood... and now I just put the blackeyed peas on to soak overnight and I'm drinking a moscato d' asti and I'm in my fuzzy slippers and most comfortablest jammies and toasting to all the friends I've made the past four plus years. I'm far from lonely!

Here's to all fans being exactly the kinds of fans they choose to be. A very successful year for Mr. Aiken, however he chooses to define that, and to all of you... my best foot forward as often as is humanly possible.

*salut*

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

So I'm the only one who liked Moulin Rouge from the start, including David ("Faramir") Wenham's hissy fit as Audrey? Loved the Foundation and Robot series too, Ansa!

Nope, not the only one. I loved it from start to finish!

Here's to all fans being exactly the kinds of fans they choose to be. A very successful year for Mr. Aiken, however he chooses to define that, and to all of you... my best foot forward as often as is humanly possible.

*salut*

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'll drink to that! :trink4: Twin, I've missed you!

Damn - it took me so long to catch up I swear a year has passed!! :cryingwlaughter:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, FCA!!!

2007 was a rough year for me in so many ways, and 2008 promises to be every bit as rough, if not more so, But there were many bright spots last year, as I am sure there will be this year too. Among them, Clay and the friends he has brought my way, so many of them by way of this board. I so loved meeting some of you in 2007. I so loved seeing some of you again in 2007. And I so look forward to meeting more of you in 2008.

So here's to all of you! And may all your 2008's be filled with happiness and fun and love. And may we all try to do as my Twin said, put our best foot forward as often as is humanly possible.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to FCA!

Happy New Year FCA!

Heres hoping that 2008 treats you all well. Heres to many more Clay concerts and wonderful year for Clay too!

We are having dinner with some great neighbors tomorrow so I don't have to cook a thing. And for that I am greatful.

Happy New Year FCA.

2008 is not starting off too good with going to a funeral on Monday so I guess it can only go up from there.

Yes i have my Black-Eyed peas and my pork and sauerkraut for good measure. Now I just have to find someone dark haired to walk through my door first and all will be well!