#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

I always watch AI although I found this last season extremely boring and couldn't have cared less who won.

However, I try to remind myself that these are all just young people looking for a break--like Clay.

justclay...

i actually like performers who actually look like they are having a good time so i lost interest in him pretty quick.
What a novel concept! Yeah...me too.

The girls have America's Top Model on the tube and I look at Tyra and think...

Hmmmmm....she just recently moved to New York and Clay's now living in New York and....

:whistling-1:

bottle---VERY interesting article..yep...AI is like that proverbial train wreck that I can't seem NOT to watch... :blink: But I CAN stay away from the first ones---the ones with the circus acts and freak sideshows.

Well you know my parents always like my sister better. :cry4:

I can't eat food on a stick. :unsure:

Oooooh .... you mean with the pins?

Nope. They're lovely.

This? Totally CMSU!! :cryingwlaughter: Came close to spitting my mouthful of pudding all over the monitor!! Thanks for the belly laugh!!!

AI7? Told myself I wouldn't watch, but may end up doing what I did last year. Totally skipped the auditions - I'm way over watching people make fools of themselves.. I guess I don't find it funny or even remotely interesting anymore... but might watch when the actual coughcompetitioncough starts and decide how much time I want to invest... gave up several weeks into it last year as no one really interested me much... :8:

OK, more edit... it also ticks me off that you never see all the people who actually made it through the audition rounds... I might be willing to stomach the crap if I could see all the "good" ones... national security isn't at risk if we see them... unless they realize that people won't keep watching if they see everyone because no one is interesting???

Must add that play has piqued my curiosity though... hmmm....

One more edit... couchie and cindilu2 - thanks for the pins - MOST excellent and order placed!!!

ooh, oooh oooh can't we talk about this in a spoiler thread becasue there are 4 others with similar stories and one with a major issue. I want to squeal on them. Please please.

I haven't made a point to search much out yet, but I'd be happy to read any spoilers and general "I can't believe how stupid they think we are" type of posts. I'm at the point where I'm almost more interested in what the Man Behind the Curtain is doing than what is actually going on on-stage.

I haven't been to TWoP in months. Is it worth swinging by the AI spoiler thread there to check stuff out?

ooh, oooh oooh can't we talk about this in a spoiler thread becasue there are 4 others with similar stories and one with a major issue. I want to squeal on them. Please please.

Oooo.....I love squealing! Is there a spoiler thread? Is this one of those things I need to try that "View New Posts" function for?

ETA: Suggestions, please. What would be more intellectually stimulating? The Presidential Debates or the DVD of "High School Musical" that I brought home from the library?

Hmmmmm....traditionally, I announce I can't be bothered with AI, then of course I watch it, then I decide I really really love an underdog, then I get pissed off because the underdog gets the axe, then I really don't watch it. Works out well.

Pin ordering worked like buttah.

Was just flipping through TV and caught the very end of Young Einstein, Yahoo Serious jamming to Rock'n' Roll Music (or whatever the name is, I have sung it and danced to it many many times when it was first released) - damn if he didn't look exactly like Clay if Clay had decided to be a rocker in his teens. Actually Clay could nail that song if he cared to.

Pin ordering worked like buttah.

:word: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

AI SPOILERS

There you go Bookwhore.

Carrie was portrayed as someone who had barely left the farm. But I think she was in a touring band before Idol. She also had a professional web site that quickly disappeared after Idol began.

That's what I can't stand, the blatant manipulation and misleading the viewer.

Kim

I haven't made a point to search much out yet, but I'd be happy to read any spoilers and general "I can't believe how stupid they think we are" type of posts. I'm at the point where I'm almost more interested in what the Man Behind the Curtain is doing than what is actually going on on-stage.

Yup...I have been in this mindset ever since I saw AI3. I stopped caring about who actually won but how the competition evolved and what happened after. That is why I do check out the CD sales of the winners and runner ups. I like to see how my predictions go. I think I was most off with Kat McPhee. I thought she would be able to do better than she did.

To me AI is a pop culture phenomena that certainly has made an impact in the way the entertainment industry works. However...I find that they are becoming more irrelevant to the recording industry. It is now becoming more of a TV phenomena specially with the relatively bad CD sales of last seasons winner and runner up. IMO AI problem is ...it over exposes the contestants with this semi-finals. By the end of the show...people get tired of most of these singers and so much of their inadequacies have been exposed. I remember loving Melinda in the beginning of the season...by the last half of the finals...I got tired of her.

I really don't think they can have a true star every year. As far as I can see they only discovered three legitimate recording stars...Clay, Kelly and Carrie. With Daughtry, since they are so similar to Nickelback...I really don;t know if his appeal is real. With Jennifer, I still wonder if she can extend her Dreamgirls success to a recording career. Fantasia is very talented...but she does not seem to have very popular appeal. I wonder if they can find another one. I think its stupid to have these perfromers with a lot of professional experience. I always think there was a reason they are still at this level after years of working on a career.

AI SPOILERS

There you go Bookwhore.

Carrie was portrayed as someone who had barely left the farm. But I think she was in a touring band before Idol. She also had a professional web site that quickly disappeared after Idol began.

Kim

Thats what I have accepted about this show...that it will be manipulative...the question is, will the producers win or will the public pick their own winner. I wasn't so sure if they got what they wanted last season, but Taylor was definitely not their pick...while carrie and fantasia were the producers darlings. I think Kelly became their pick once Tamyra was eliminated and we know what happened in season 2...

I don't really care about what kind of background experience contestants on AI have, but I just like them to have--you know--TALENT! I think that they have been picking people for other reasons than talent--and it's pretty glaring. I think the producers got confused and thought they were producing a sitcom.

I don't really care about what kind of background experience contestants on AI have, but I just like them to have--you know--TALENT! I think that they have been picking people for other reasons than talent--and it's pretty glaring. I think the producers got confused and thought they were producing a sitcom.

I think that is precisely what it has evolved to...simply a variety show with some comedy, drama, suspense and singing.

jamar, your most made me almost burn my dinner, I was laughing so hard....

Thanks for the pin ordering system guys -- can't wait to see them!

Was just flipping through TV and caught the very end of Young Einstein, Yahoo Serious jamming to Rock'n' Roll Music (or whatever the name is, I have sung it and danced to it many many times when it was first released) - damn if he didn't look exactly like Clay if Clay had decided to be a rocker in his teens. Actually Clay could nail that song if he cared to.

Wasn't Yahoo Serious the guy Clay said should portray him in the Halfway Home Special during AI2?

Yes, I do have a life....somewhere....or at least I thought I did....maybe I've misplaced it...

I hear ya....but I'm also kind of at the point like Ansa -- I know it's happening, and if I watch it with that kind of mindset already in place, I can deal with the manipulation. Also, if I've got friends to snark on it here, it makes it more fun as well. I won't join in until the final 12 are chosen though -- I'm another one who doesn't like the audition rounds AT ALL. (It's why I missed "TAKE.")

But see, that sitcom gets RATINGS! And so they'll keep producing that sitcom until the cows come home! As Ansa said...

To me AI is a pop culture phenomena that certainly has made an impact in the way the entertainment industry works. However...I find that they are becoming more irrelevant to the recording industry. It is now becoming more of a TV phenomena

Finally, I also think that much of America is "on" to the whole process of this show. I think that more and more people watch the show for the snark fest that it can be. Sure, there are still who think that it's a process to find a recording artist, but I do think many understand that it's just a TV show and watch accordingly. This is way different than it was during the first two seasons. The first two seasons, for the most part, seemed fairly organic in their makeup in casts (Kimbermee and Julia excepted IMO). By season three, it felt forced. By now, I think the producers really don't care and are pretty much flaunting their manipulation. And America will eat it up with a spoon.

The last paragraph was all JMO, BTW.

I so read the Fantasia differently. Randy was touting all the talented 16 year olds before the show began. But every single one of them gave in to their stage fright and could not handle the pressure of the competition. So up rose the 3 divas and that became their storyline. I don't think they gave a damn who won and LaToya seemed to be more of a favorite. Fantasia wasn't a darling from day one. When she sang well they said so. But she also got slammed. I think Simon said she sounded like Donald Duck. When she was left standing with a bunch of kids who had questionable talent they went to work overtime. But honestly, she was better than those that were left and I know she is an acquired taste hee. I think Diana or I can't sing a song on key Jasmine winning the whole thing would not have been good for Idol in year 3. Don't think sales matter anymore nor does it matter who wins. The show is a cultural phenomenon and it will get high ratings for years to come whether every last one of the winners fail. The money is in the advertising. Fantasia will continue to have a successful career for her genre. There are not a lot of big selling R&B artists out there. Not talking hip hop -- but R&B. You'd be surprised how many of the top R&B artists do not have a string of platinum albums.

PIN ORDER FORM

Please let me know if you have any issues.

Worked like buttah, Couchie. Only thing I found was once I completed payment and was redirected back to FCA, it said Thank You for ordering the Xmas pin, and had a picture of the DCAT pin. Hee!

To me AI is a pop culture phenomena that certainly has made an impact in the way the entertainment industry works. However...I find that they are becoming more irrelevant to the recording industry. It is now becoming more of a TV phenomena

For me, AI has always been a TV show first, a show about music, second. It was the forerunner to America's Next Top Model and all the reality make-over shows that have folloewd. Take a group of 'wanna bes' with talent and reshape them into a group of 'can bes' ...ones that can be marketed.

I think Clay knew this...knows this. I think that's why he's always been the first to say he came from television...not from radio.

PIN ORDER FORM

Please let me know if you have any issues.

Worked like buttah, Couchie. Only thing I found was once I completed payment and was redirected back to FCA, it said Thank You for ordering the Xmas pin, and had a picture of the DCAT pin. Hee!

Hope that doesn't scare anyone!

I ordered mine!! Can't wait to get them. Cindilu - you did a GREAT job designing them!

As far as AI goes, I watch mainly for entertainment. I enjoy those with talent, and cringe for those who do not. I usually do not vote. I voted on finale night for Carrie, got one vote in and went to bed. My sister is a huge Bo fan. I tease her we cancelled our votes out. She got my husband Bo's CD for Christmas. He did not like it, and was honest with her when she asked. I have only purchased a few CD's from contestants, I have both of Carrie's, both of Klo(given to my mother for her birthday). I have not liked anybody else to purchase theirs. I guess I am spoiled, I love Clays voice and nobody compares,

I am sitting here just vegging. Had ski patrol today and had to deal with rain for the first couple of hours. I was soaked. Stopped raining, but skied in the fog the rest of the day. Our foot of snow on New Years will be dirty and ugly by tommorow.

i didn't start reading here until recently but from what i've gathered DCAT has to do with the summer tour. can someone please explain what it stands for?