#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

Very nice, Cotton! I think we need to get a nice outfit together for Spamalot for bottle. The stillettos and coif are lovely. A lovely coconut necklace would be nice, too, don't you think? It would stay in the theme of Spamalot so well. And they are practical, too, because she could use them to applaud with if her hands got tired! Or, if she gets really hot, she could disrobe (waist up, of course), and she would have a lovely coconut brassiere!

32048.jpg

The reason I didn't think it was Julia is because her face doesn't look as , well, horsey?

Whatever.

I don't think Clay has anyone special in his life right now. I think he's too busy, too involved in too many other things. His time will come - probably when he least expects it. However, I also do not think he is wanting for female companionship, if you know what I mean. :whistling-1:

This made me think CG...as you always do. Of course we do not know anything about his personal life, but I really think that if he waits for a quiet time in his life to work on a relationship...he may have to wait for a long time. My impression with Clay....if he likes someone, he probably will make time to spend with that someone and that we would never know about it. So FOR ME I wouldn't say his level of activity would be any clue to his personal life.

Hee! No smackdowns, just some extremely scary but seldom used stillettos...

metalshoes.jpg

Wow - those are some scary stilettos! Hope they don't come in KAndre's size!!

No one has given me a hard time about my Clay hobby. Of course, there are still a lot of people in my real life who don't know about it. Its not that I lie to them, but if the subject doesn't come up, I don't bring it up. If it comes up, then that's one thing, but I just don't mention it out of the blue. As for those who know, well, I don't think anyone gets it, but they don't give me a hard time about it either.

Of course, I think one reason those that know don't give me a hard time about it is I don't try to foist my obsession on others. If they say they don't like Clay, I say that's cool. If they say Clay is gay, I say he may be - he says he's not and my gut tells me he's not - but who really knows and who cares. If they say they don't like his music, voice etc, I say that's cool - to each their own. I don't get defensive about him. I don't try to Clayvert anyone. Different strokes for different folks. I think when I don't react to what they say, they just accept I like someone they don't get.

Yup that is how I am too. But luckily, I haven't encountered anyone that really didn't like him enough to put him down with me. I do have a colleague in school that really thinks he is gay...but that is not a put down since she does not think there is anything wrong with that. But her gaydar tells her he is and I do not argue with her...just tell her that he says he is not and from my observations...I think he is totally straight...so we agree to disagree. It was thrilling to discover my cousins in CA and Florida loved him in AI and like to hear about whats happening to him. But mostly, the people that I know are mostly neutral on him

Of course, I don't have a husband or a child to explain it to - or who may feel at times as if they are in competition with Clay. I do think that is why some get upset - they feel as if Clay is getting more attention than they are.

And with some people, it could be true! :cryingwlaughter:

Yup the only one that really has a problem with Clay is my second DD. And she totally admits its because of the time I spend on my hobby. I have made lots of efforts to have a balance right now...that is why I don't get to post as often...so she does not complain too much anymore. But I also don;t talk to her about my hobby too much. When I am with them, the topic is their friends and what they are concerned with. They also may tease me a bit...but they won;t dare be mean or cruel cos that would be disrespecting me.

I remember when the AI5 appearance happened and he was the talk of the school...my daughters were appalled that a lot of their friends were swooning over him. Its like their moms world was invading theirs...Hee...so they were pretty happy when that madness died down....

The one I share the Clay love with is my Cait...she still loves watching ICHM...and the AI5 appearance. She also reacts appropriately when gorgeous pictures of Clay are up on the screen....but I started teaching her to call him Clay...cos daddy was getting a bit embarrassing... :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

i said that to someone once, about not singing with his pecker, because i get tired of hearing the gay thing. i'm not sure what people think they are accomplishing when they said that. some people who barely know me will say that when they find out that i like clay. i think its so rude to diss someone that a person likes. i may say that i don't like that person, and i may even say why, but i don't do the whole name-calling thing. nor am i the type to spread rumors. it's probably why i didn't fit in that well when i worked with a big company because i could care less who slept with who (whom?), never could figure out when to use whom. if it didn't affect me, i didn't care.

Oh, I never bring up the subject of Clay at work. Just that when his name does come up, people know I am a fan and seem to think is is their job to let me know they don't like him. Now, if someone starts to rave about Justin Timberlake or someone else I don't care for, I wouldn't dream of raining on their parade. Wouldn't ever say anything negative--that's just me. Guess I am just a little thin skinned--can't help it. Get very hurt and take it personally when anything negative is said about Clay.

Speaking of obsessions--do you think a person is obsessed when they watch, let's say Jimmy Kimmel (when a certain cute singer guy is on) at 12:05 and tape it, then get up again and watch it at 3:05 even though they already have it on tape once. (This was when we used to have a satellite dish and got east and west coast shows.) God--I used to get soooo tired, but couldn't help it.

Do ya think I may need medical attention?

if you do then we all need a group rate on meds cos that sounds very normal to me... :lilredani:

I never get grief about Clay...oh, the occastional eyeroll from the kids when they get in the car and its all Clay, all the time, but it's my car and if they don't like it they can find another mode of transportation.

Some at work know I am a fan, but I don't talk about him and I don't have pictures around. Even at home my stuff is put away.

Hubby has no problem with me going to concerts...but he is not a fan, so I limit my clack watching to when he is not around...helps that he works nights and goes to bed around 7:00...I have most of the evening to Clay around.

Kim

I try very hard not to show my dislike of any other artists. Not everyone is to me liking, but I know other people may like them, and so I never put anybody down. When I went to my future DIL bachorlette party we took a limo bus and went clubbing in a area north of Detroit. I and the brides mother were alot older than the rest of the party, and I was a little concerned at what I was getting myself into. I did not want to go into a club and here sexy back being played all the time. It worked out well, most of the clubs we went to were playing 70 and 80's music. When we got into the limo once sexy back came on the radio and I commented I was hoping not to hear it tonight. One young lady said to me are you dissing my Justin. I replied no, it wasn't him I disliked just that particular song. Thank goodness she did not get angry with me.

The one I share the Clay love with is my Cait...she still loves watching ICHM...and the AI5 appearance. She also reacts appropriately when gorgeous pictures of Clay are up on the screen....but I started teaching her to call him Clay...cos daddy was getting a bit embarrassing... :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Very nice, Cotton! I think we need to get a nice outfit together for Spamalot for bottle. The stillettos and coif are lovely. A lovely coconut necklace would be nice, too, don't you think? It would stay in the theme of Spamalot so well. And they are practical, too, because she could use them to applaud with if her hands got tired! Or, if she gets really hot, she could disrobe (waist up, of course), and she would have a lovely coconut brassiere!

32048.jpg

But then again - she might consider a fashionable breast plate - always in style for the well heeled knight or knightess!

M-932.jpg

No one has given me a hard time about my Clay hobby. Of course, there are still a lot of people in my real life who don't know about it. Its not that I lie to them, but if the subject doesn't come up, I don't bring it up. If it comes up, then that's one thing, but I just don't mention it out of the blue. As for those who know, well, I don't think anyone gets it, but they don't give me a hard time about it either.

Of course, I think one reason those that know don't give me a hard time about it is I don't try to foist my obsession on others. If they say they don't like Clay, I say that's cool. If they say Clay is gay, I say he may be - he says he's not and my gut tells me he's not - but who really knows and who cares. If they say they don't like his music, voice etc, I say that's cool - to each their own. I don't get defensive about him. I don't try to Clayvert anyone. Different strokes for different folks. I think when I don't react to what they say, they just accept I like someone they don't get.

Of course, I don't have a husband or a child to explain it to - or who may feel at times as if they are in competition with Clay. I do think that is why some get upset - they feel as if Clay is getting more attention than they are.

And with some people, it could be true! :cryingwlaughter:

This ^^^ is me.

My mom gets it because I dragged her half-way across the country with me early on, hoping she would realize that I wasn't crazy. Sort of! No hubby or kids to contend with, just the cats. As long as I leave extra food & water when I travel, they're happy. For some strange reason LTS on CD seems to calm them in the car when we go to the vet, so maybe they're fans, too. LOL

As far as work goes, people know I'm a fan, but I don't go out of my way to talk about Clay. I'm surrounded by people there who worship Howard Stern, think Kathy Griffin is hillarious, love TMZ and Perez H. - pretty much anyone who takes shots at Clay. My former manager (who got me hooked on this joyride) and our admin are casual fans.

I also think that some people don't understand having something that makes you happy like Clay does for us. They may have hobbies, but not necessarily something they're passionate (no smutting intended!) about. I think that was weird even for me in the beginning - Clay Aiken makes me smile like practically nothing else in the world! :wub:

I never get grief about Clay...oh, the occastional eyeroll from the kids when they get in the car and its all Clay, all the time, but it's my car and if they don't like it they can find another mode of transportation.

heee... I don't normally listen to Clay in the car cuz my 95 contour has radio and casette. But I know what you mean about it beign your car.... my 5 year old neice actually believes I can't get Radio Disney in my car. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: She trusts her auntie heee. But no way in hell am I listening to that.

i said that to someone once, about not singing with his pecker, because i get tired of hearing the gay thing. i'm not sure what people think they are accomplishing when they said that. some people who barely know me will say that when they find out that i like clay. i think its so rude to diss someone that a person likes. i may say that i don't like that person, and i may even say why, but i don't do the whole name-calling thing. nor am i the type to spread rumors. it's probably why i didn't fit in that well when i worked with a big company because i could care less who slept with who (whom?), never could figure out when to use whom. if it didn't affect me, i didn't care.

you know there are just some people who are naturally rude and very insensitive. Also ...it is sad but trash talking about someone seems to be the norm in some circles. I mean it is all over in our TV and lots of MTV shows are just about comedians trashing celebrities. Its like a sport...and if its someone that is thought to be in the closet...well you just find so many people will have some theories about it one way or the other. I mean I find myself doing it on the boards in other celebrity threads...although I have become more sensitized to it because of Clay. I still find myself trash talking on Britney for instance...

ok, i could possible go for the coconut shell necklace, but those heels would never get anywhere my feet. for me, heels over an inch, which i only wear on rare occasions, would be complete torture. if i could wear slippers everywhere, i would be happy. my daughter has the same aversion to heels so it must be a genetic thing or something. we definately go the comfort over the stylish route.

annabear, i would hate to work where you do. i can't stand any of those people/places you listed so i'd probably wear headphones all day so i didn't have to listen to anyone talking about them. and ansamcw, i think everyone trash talks on britney some because she makes it so easy. i'm not one who feels sorry for her, well, maybe sometimes, but its harder for me to feel sorry for someone like her, who has money and access to so many options for help, than some drug addicted street kid, who has so few options. i feel like telling her to get over herself already.

Some at work know I am a fan, but I don't talk about him and I don't have pictures around. Even at home my stuff is put away.

At work I am known as the "Clay Aiken lady". :cryingwlaughter: I have two computers, both with different Clay desktops, and I have a Clay calendar (which made me so sad when it got to the end of December, because I didn't have a 2008 one to replace it with. I have remedied that this weekend - Snapfish to the rescue!). I also have a wall of family pictures (kids, cats & dogs). Just to even things out. ;)

I used to get flack about Clay from my new office mate, a very trendy, tattooed, contemporary art history person. Not directly, mind you, but she would make comments to others that I happened to overhear.

Then I showed her one of the 11 ways I know how to kill someone with my bare hands. (Seriously. She asked.) Now I get LOTS of respect. :whistling-1:

Glad to know my condition is considered normal on this board!! (talking about watching the same Clay appearance on tv at 3:05 am again even though I've already taped it.)

I've found since this whole Clay-thing that I just don't want to get into trashing celebrities (or anyone for that matter). Having followed so much of the garbage that's been written about him that's not true, figure I'll cut other celebrities some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Seriously, following Clay's career and reading his book and listening to interviews, etc. really has made me want to be a better person. He always takes the high road and I am trying to do the same. Note that I said "trying." Doesn't mean I always do!! Question--"Would it be taking the high road if I said,'STFU' the next time someone disses him?" Oh, then I guess I am not perfect after all.

I'm fortunate because my family is supportive especially my husband but because of my childhood, if anyone in my family put me down, they would be out of my life. That may sound harsh but I decided a long time ago that I wanted to be happy and would not tolerate anyone who is abusive in my life again. It would be an easy decision. I have seen what life can be like when you are surrounded by good people who truly care about you and whom you love as well and I'm not giving that up.

At work I am known as the "Clay Aiken lady". :cryingwlaughter: I have two computers, both with different Clay desktops, and I have a Clay calendar (which made me so sad when it got to the end of December, because I didn't have a 2008 one to replace it with. I have remedied that this weekend - Snapfish to the rescue!). I also have a wall of family pictures (kids, cats & dogs). Just to even things out. ;)

heee too funny. When AI2 started I was in a company where'd I been for 2 years and everybody knew me. They sorta watched me fall in love with Caly and lose my mind. I never got any grief about it. I remember when I had to choose between the company xmas party and watching ACAC heee. I actually went to the office party but wrote a haiku for the contest that won. I can't remember it now, but the theme was how I chose them over Clay. heee. At my later companies..I never felt I knew folks enough to share.

Then I showed her one of the 11 ways I know how to kill someone with my bare hands. (Seriously. She asked.) Now I get LOTS of respect. :whistling-1:

bwah!!

It was nice seeing you in Minneapolis. And she had on the coolest jacket evah.

RIFan, oh I remember the days when I would actually watch the clack, then stay up late to watch it live, and then of course watch the clack again. heee. And of course I think I have almost everything on VHS from 2003 and 2004. Somewhere along the line I started trusting that the clack would be there.

Well I don't have any photos up at work, but I do have my wallpaper, and I have had his cd on display since the MOAM days (it's an ATDW now). To this day, I've never had anybody disrespect him to me. It's either who is this? (Clay doesn't get much coverage in Canada, and next to no radio) or, oooh, is that Clay? I love his voice! He should've won! LOL. I will get the he is/is he? gay thing every so often, but I just laugh and say nope, and I don't pursue it. Now the guys in the shop, and their friends? they spent the first two years telling me how 'queer' he was. I spent the last of those completely ignoring them, and eventually they gave up. I do get the disbelieving eyerolls from my boss over how far I will go/how much I will spend to see him. Until I remind him of his $10,000+ toy car Jeff Gordon collection.

I absolutely believe it's a respect issue. Not of Clay, but of you. If people who are supposed to care about you are willing to insult your choices, to 'tease' to the point that you are angry and/or hurt, then they need to be told. If they still do it - well then there are more serious questions to be asked, IMO.

annabear, i would hate to work where you do. i can't stand any of those people/places you listed so i'd probably wear headphones all day so i didn't have to listen to anyone talking about them.

Hee - they did prompt me to break my 'no more credit card purchases' rule and finally buy myself an iPod! Next to any Clay concert tix I may have charged, this was the best investment I've ever made. Seriously.

I've found since this whole Clay-thing that I just don't want to get into trashing celebrities (or anyone for that matter). Having followed so much of the garbage that's been written about him that's not true, figure I'll cut other celebrities some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Seriously, following Clay's career and reading his book and listening to interviews, etc. really has made me want to be a better person. He always takes the high road and I am trying to do the same. Note that I said "trying." Doesn't mean I always do!! Question--"Would it be taking the high road if I said,'STFU' the next time someone disses him?" Oh, then I guess I am not perfect after all.

I've found this to be true for me as well. I think the fact that the media, including the "news" has become increasingly more tabloid-like over the past 5 years has helped, too. And yeah, 'STFU' has been on the tip of my tongue a time or two. OK, maybe three. Or four.....

RIFan, oh I remember the days when I would actually watch the clack, then stay up late to watch it live, and then of course watch the clack again. heee. And of course I think I have almost everything on VHS from 2003 and 2004. Somewhere along the line I started trusting that the clack would be there.

I did this, too! And oh my word, I have a drawer full of VHS tapes. I remember being in Canada on a business trip when the Diane Sawyer interview was on and the stupid Marriott did not have ABC on the TV!!! I'd forgotten to set the VCR and didn't have a computer at home at that time so I couldn't download Clack. Luckily I had a dear Clay friend who was willing to send me her VHS tapes and I made copies of them! Not the best quality, but hey, it was Clay! :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH!!!

Question--"Would it be taking the high road if I said,'STFU' the next time someone disses him?"

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me...

I absolutely believe it's a respect issue. Not of Clay, but of you. If people who are supposed to care about you are willing to insult your choices, to 'tease' to the point that you are angry and/or hurt, then they need to be told. If they still do it - well then there are more serious questions to be asked, IMO.

Yes, absolutely. The people who care about you shouldn't be taking it to extremes... they need a polite reminder...

I've only had one person actually get kind of nasty about my fandom, tossing out the whole gay thing in a really nasty way and coming across like I'm so stupid and I quite frankly told him that since I wasn't spending any of his f@$%ing money, I didn't give a shit what he thought... this person isn't a friend of mine so I didn't waste any time being nice once he got nasty... my family, friends and co-workers, while not necessarily getting it, are respectful... they see the fun my sister and I have with it and appreciate that and roll with it...

I think the reason people really react and tease me the way they do, is because my behavior (to them) is not considered age appropriate. Running across the country following a singer is something young groupies do. Not mature grown educated women. Talking non stop, and bringing Clay up in every conversation, swooning over someone who could be your kid, buying posters, and thongs with Clay's name on it, for Christ sake, and on and on. It's just not age appropriate.
I think this definitely hits on something. For sure, my kids are 'ashamed' of their mom being so....er...impressed by some guy young enough to be her so...er....younger lover. :whistling-1:

I think claygasm hit on something too. I don't try to shove my hobby or try to force others to like Clay. I know that he is a throwback to another era and not a lot of people's cup of tea.
No, I don't try to force others to like Clay. I DO, however, if ther's a discussion going, bring up reasons why I like him.

That's fine. I also try not to spend more time on my hobby than I do my spouse and real life. Hard to do that sometimes, but that is one of my new Year Resolutions. To cut down on the amount of time I spend on the computer posting.
Now THIS is where I KNOW I need to improve. But then again...I don't spend any more time on the boards on Clay than my DH does with his sports stuff---fantasy football, the softball association where he is board president and team coach, and any sports event on television. And I don't spend any more time listening to or watching or talking about Clay than DDs spend watching their movies or tv dvs of seasons of Lone Tree Hill or whatever or watching America's Top Model! And I REALLY don't talk about Clay at home unless something comes up that is an inevitable seque...I'm almost paranoid about not pushing him on the family, actually.

Whatever. What can you do? I really do think that the 'age appropriate' thing is a big part of my teenaged daughter's discomfort, though.

Went to my mom's and did the shower and hair washing thing again. Her 'boyfriend' is back from spending the holidays with his family (and unbeknownst to my mom, his 90-year-old female friend of 25 years) and so of course his clothes are hanging all over her room again. Pisses me off. I said to my mom, "Why don't you guys go and mess up HIS room for a while? You can drape your dirty undies on HIS chair!"

Then I felt shitty for saying it. But she just looked at me and said, "That's a good idea. That's what I'm going to do!" Then she promptly forgot what I had said! :cryingwlaughter: I told her I was going to call her to remind her to take a shower. I really think she doesn't have a sense of time at all anymore.

Watching AI Rewind now...my hubby's in the room and commenting on every singer! :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

GAWD...the people in this group are so weak. Charles just finished and I thought he sounded pretty good, although the voice---just no projection, so soft. In fact, so far only Kimberme and Trenyce projected at all. Anyhoo, Later, guys! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA:

This CMSU! :lmaosmiley-1:

I also have a drawer full of VHS tapes--they are so bulky. Now that I have a DVD player, I'm able to get clack on DVDs--much better!! I swear to God that the iPod was invented for people like us!! Whenever things get to be too much and I am doing paperwork in my little room at school, I just put in the earbuds and the world is right and "All Is Well." I need to hear that voice almost as miuch as I need air, I swear.

Okay, so how many of you have been "sick" on a morning when you knew Clay was going to be on tv? Last time I did that was on November 17, 2006. Funny thing was, I really did have stomach pains when I got up that morning. Was just so nervous to think that he would be co-hosting that day. Have never and will never ever watch that show again. Can't help thinking about how different it would have been that day if he had been there with Regis instead of Miss Princess Ripa. Oh well, he certainly did make the best of it and it sure produced some hilarious banter at the JNT 06. That's our Clay--always making lemonade.

i think i've always been sensitive about the trash talking, maybe not as much since clay, but i've never been too much into it, although i do remember some pettiness i had, all those long years ago when i was a teenager. would not go back to those days for anything. i had reasons for being sensitive about it though because i grew up in a small town where gossip was a way of life, and often me and my family were the subjects of it. my mom came over from germany and she was older than the other mothers. my whole family felt like the outsiders, which i appreciate now, because i don't feel the necessity to be like everyone else or fall into the having to be cool thing.