#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

I'm flying clear across the country, too...I guess I'm just in a different place with seeing him...once will be enough for me. Perhaps if I hadn't seen the show already, I'd feel different....I dunno.

I am going to see Clay but I am not going just to see Clay...the show is a big draw for me.

I love Broadway, too.

I don't know when I'm going yet but I plan to stay for a week and in that week I'm sure Ill see Clay at least 3 times.... but I'll have plenty of times to do other things. I love NYC.

I can see I touched on a subject that I should have kept my mouth shut about...my apologies.

I'll shut up now.

don't shut up..it's a good question and there's absolutely nothing wrong with your view. Believe me it will be a big expense for me but since most of my Clay trips include airfair..they always are.

I personally am sick to death of people dripping acid all over everything Clay does and itemizing every crack in his voice or 1/2 second of imperfection. I've yet to go to any concert by anyone where every note was perfect. Clay's voice imperfections are miniscule compared to most artist's I've seen. I don't mind honesty, but when the same people write the same kinds of nasty comments over and over again, it does take on the appearance of doing it just to get attention (ref: Psychology 1A).

AND (since I'm on a roll), I especially dislike the constant comments about how he's "tired" or "exhausted" etc. Are these people on the bus with him? Sleeping with him so they can verify that he's not getting enough sleep or the poor thing can't handle 20 concerts? Horse pucky.

Is that pissy and honest enough?

Oh, I just LOOOVE this!! Thank you for speaking MY mind!!

Perhaps that is the difference, I haven't gone just once. I think I mentioned that perhaps I'd feel differently if I hadn't seen the show already.

I'd seen MammaMia 4 times and still went to it when I took my sister to NYC for her 50th birthday. I'm not against seeing shows more than once, believe me.

I'm in NYC for 3 days....I will get to see Spamalot and Young Frankenstein while there....that's cramming quite a bit in considering I'll get in late Friday and leave early Monday.

Here is the thing, because people disagree doesn't mean that you are wrong, just different. There are a lot of issues that hve no right or wrong, just personal choice.

I usually feel likethe odd man out on a lot of things and, since I live close and it is not big deal, I don't intend to see the show more than once in a row. How often I will see it will depend on how I feel after opening night. If it is like Fawlty Towers, I could try for standing room only every night! If it just OK, I will just go when I have friends to meet.

That's why I think Clay will fit like a glove

jj, I've always assumed this to be true as well.... :whistling-1:

cindilu, ANOTHER pair of rose-colored glasses? I'll be danged! I hadn't noticed that your old ones were scratched! :cryingwlaughter: ...just teasing you...variety is the spice of life, fo' sho'....I'll continue with my own approach to seeing or hearing Clay and you'll continue with yours and Bob's your uncle! :clap:

I lurve me some Clay Aiken. I lurve me some Clay Aiken voice---IMO, there's really no other like it today. And like Couchie explained so well about some people's mindset when watching Clay, I DO sometimes have an unrealistic expectation of perfection in terms of the tone and pitch of that VOX. I mean, DAYUM! It's so OFTEN just plain perfect (to my ears) that I can't help but register those times when he shows his human side and misses this or that. I NOTICE, mind you, but I don't criticize him for it. Can't help but notice---but I DO have control over what I do with the information, you know?

So I can say that while watching and listening to the skating special I was shocked at how very puffy he seemed, especially since during the CITH those marvelous cheekbones (waves to merrieee!) and angular facial structure were front and center again (yes, I'm aware of other things that became front and center, too...heh). I'd simply forgotten how recently that change had occurred! I can even go further and say that he looks so much healthier and handsomer now than he did then, and that's my opinion.

I can also say that after hearing him nail those Christmas songs LIVE! night after night during CITH, I noticed a number of times in the skating show where he didn't. But I also think that the 'normal' people who didn't get to a CITH show or hadn't watched mucho CLACK clips of mucho shows wouldn't notice those times. They'd hear an amazing voice singing beautiful songs while some pretty impressive skating was going on. And that's a good thing.

Spamalot? Right now I've got tickets for me and hubby for one show in March. A certain friend is nudging me to hang around NYC a little longer and go to another show with her and I will in a heartbeat if the $$$$ is available. I'll go to enjoy the show and laugh and send positive energy to Clay in this newest feather he's collecting for his cap. Don't need to see any 'clack'---of Clay or the show beforehand. I've never seen any of any other theater show beforehand---why start now? :cryingwlaughter: I was never too familiar with Monty Python except for casually (but I ADORE Fawlty Towers and the Ministry of Silly Walks! :lmaosmiley-1: ), but I'm sure I'll have fun.

Basically, I calls 'em as I sees 'em---whether it's Clay or any other artist who goes on stage to entertain. If I notice that Clay hit some clunkers or seemed to miss some dance steps or flubbed some lines, well....that means I noticed! Doesn't mean I intend to vilify him for those 'less-than-perfect' things. Also doesn't mean that I'm going to pretend they didn't happen just because it's Clay.

Will that 'ruin' the show for me? Will I tell others that he was yucky and embarrassing? Will I decide that he obviously has ruined his career? Will I recommend that people save their money and NOT go to see him?

HELL, NO!

So I'm in agreement with those of you who hope people don't go spewing nastiness about Clay or the show or start creating all kinds of consipiracy theories if Clay's Broadway premiere is less than perfect. I certainly won't be one of them. But I'll most likely share my honest opinion of what I see and hear, and that might include things like "Goofball tripped over his big ole' feet in the dance number! CMSU!"

Love your post muski. I think what's difficult for me is the emotion involved with an opening night. It's palpable. For me, no one thing will ever make or break Clay so I never understand cries of his career is ruined and the upset that usually accompanies that.

Something has been bugging me..something I read on a non clay fan board by a fan. I understand they don't mean anything by it but I just shocked it rolls off the tongue so easily that ATDW is a commercial failure along with a variety of excuses FOR him. I think it's sad that people just want to throw it under the bus and forget it exists. :F_05BL17blowkiss: ATDW.

ETA: OK maybe that's not fair. They don't want to throw it under the bus...but maybe it feels that way because of the he did amazing things under the parameters set forth BUT and then 2 paragraphs of buts. I'm sorry but after reading all that I forgot you're supposed to like it. I know I just remembered the buts.

Hey, muski, a take off on the fits like a glove deal...if it don't fit, use a little spit. :cryingwlaughter:

Live theater is so wonderful for a reason...it's LIVE!! As I said, I saw Richard Harris screw up in Camelot and he looked right at the audience and said "aint live theater grand!!" I so agree. Had he not said something, I wouldn't have known.

The thing I like best is we won't know whether or not he screwed up....unless he flubs his lines so bad he has to walk off the stage. I'm guessing his Random Lyric Generator will work just as well with lines...just as long as he gets the cues for other peoples' lines in the right spots! Hehe!

We did Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at our community theater. One of the cool things we had was a motorized sheep..a little, teeny-tiny sheep on a remote control car. The pianist came up to me and said, "Jean, people can see the race car". I looked at her and said, "do you think they believe the sheep is real?" We both got a good laugh out of that.

Suspension of reality...that's what I love most about live theater. Waiting to see Clay step out of his Clayness and into Sir Robin is so exciting...I can't wait!

Newbie jumping in here.... :flirtysmile3:

Singing, like art, is so subjective. I'm in the camp that can most definitely admit that Josh Groban has talent and he sings pretty, but to my ears his technial perfection is boring. Clay on the other hand to me, even when having a bad day, sounds better than a heck of a lot of other artists. Still in the subjective car, it's interesting to me to read reviews of the same concerts by different people on different boards and compare the songs, or spots, they thought were "rough". Some people don't like/get the growls.... :huh: I know - who are these people?! *g*

For the most part I also get tired of seeing repeated negativity towards Clay Aiken. Not poopooing people being free to express their opinions, just that I sometimes wish people would use their filter when they're posting. Or what muskifest said above. I'm in this fandom to enjoy him, and therefore, myself. Life is too short & there is far too much true drama going on in the real world. As far as :pinkglasses: go, I happen to work in the optical industry so if anyone needs a new pair, I might be able to get you a discount!

I did wonder in the beginning, before my first Clay concert, what the attraction was to muliples.... :clay: As soon as I did see him in person, I was trying to figure out how I could get off work and making plans to drive 4 hours to get to another show the next week. Yeah, he's still got me hook, line & sinker. I'll be seeing Spamalot in April only because it's the first time I'll be able to take off work, otherwise I'd be there sooner. I hope to see some other shows while I'm in NYC, but am only planning to see Clay once. If I had the time and the $$$ I'd defintitely try to see a couple more shows throughout his run. Hopefully there'll be other opportunities to see him later next year....

Oy, this has become quite a tome! Don't worry - I'm not always this wordy! :yapyapyapf:

As far as :pinkglasses: go, I happen to work in the optical industry so if anyone needs a new pair, I might be able to get you a discount!

So, can we buy in bulk? :lilredani: And welcome!

I'm also in the market for some watertight tupperware containers in order to keep my Cheerios pee-free, and some umbrellas to keep the rain off my parade.

Are these people on the bus with him? Sleeping with him so they can verify that he's not getting enough sleep or the poor thing can't handle 20 concerts?

:hubbahubba: I WISH!!! And if I was sleeping with him, I assure you he would NOT be getting enough sleep.

Morning!! I'm SO glad we have Boxing Day....I can't imagine having to go to work the day after Christmas festivities. Does anything actually get accomplished if you work that day??

Yes, we're freakishly busy today. I work in a library and I can't believe how many folks are coming in today. What, did people not get new toys for Christmas? Why aren't they at home playing with them?

I can see I touched on a subject that I should have kept my mouth shut about...my apologies.

I'll shut up now.

I don't think so jj. Having never been to a Broadway show, I was sort of wondering the same thing, so it helps to read others' viewpoints. If I were a huge Monty Python fan (which I'm not) I can see going to the show more than once, but from what I've heard, the part of Sir Robin isn't a big enough role to induce me to see it multiple times, just because it's Clay. But I can understand seeing a show multiple times if it's something that you're just wild about. To me, it equates to reading and re-reading a really good book.

ETA: Or.....I don't know if this is a good analogy or not...but I remember as a 20-something I used to go with a group of friends repeatedly to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show (armed with water pistols and cigarette lighters). Of course, we weren't going so much for the show as for the social 'experience'. So would people be going to multiple Spamalot shows for that type of reason?

Waiting to see Clay step out of his Clayness and into Sir Robin is so exciting

Key:

Clayness=boxers

Sir Robin=Muskifest

Welcome, annabear! Wordy? Pffttt! I gotchure wordy rahtcheeer! :imgtongue:

Couchie! So glad your mom's back in the saddle.... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

What in the WORLD am I going to do with all these days off work? :lilredani: I can think of about 100 things I SHOULD do with this precious time---paint the downstairs walls that still reflect the mini-flood after our water heater burst; clean and paint the ugly dark kitchen cabinets that depress me every time I look at them. Pull up the rest of the ruined lineoleum in the kitchen (another victim of the 'flood'). Do something with the still naked concrete, mottled-with-glue floor in the dining room and laundry room. Reinstall the vanity in the downstairs bathroom. Clean the garage.

Whew. I'm exhausted from all that listing... Think I'll watch some CLACK to relax. :whistling-1:

A question for the people who don't understand repeats: if Clay had a major role in a movie, would you go to see it more than once?

No, I wouldn't. The only time I see a movie a second time is if I see it on HBO. I won't even rent movies I've seen before.

I'm not going just because Clay is in the show....I'm going because Clay is in the show AND it's a chance for me to get back to NYC with a friend from Texas...and it worked into my schedule since it's during my winter break from school.

If I had to go by myself, I wouldn't go at all.

ITA Muski....sometimes I wish I didn't notice the little vocal imperfections but I do and usually I shrug it off and think...oh he seem to have a dry throat or fighting a cold, there were a few times when I really got worried...but most of the time I keep these thoughts to myself or just tell couchie...hee she knows when to tune me out. However, I also realized that I have been taking that beautiful voice for granted cos I hear it so often. This realization came as I watched the skating show. This time I was focused on the skating and Clay;s voice was just flowing over the movements soooo beautifully that I had to stop and think...DAMN that voice is great...and it wasn;t on the big notes or the sustained notes...but on the main body of the songs that often get overlooked because of the big showy parts of the songs. This was pretty much like the great skating stars...they can't just focus on the jumps and fancy spins...they have to show grace and artistry in the connecting moves or else the performance is very unsatisfying. I thought Clay's voice and figure skating were a perfect fit. I hope he will do some other collaborations. Hoping to see him perform with Kurt Browning and Kristi Yamaguchi.

Criticisms...I think some people post some criticism because they are processing what they saw...some people simply want to share a worry or their disappointment and are looking for reassurance...I can take that. BUT, there are posters that seem to feel it is their duty to be critical,..or that their cool creds will diminish if they don;t find something to snark on...or that they simply think their taste is superior and they can tell Clay what to do...those posters, thankfully are pretty consistent so I know now not to read what they post...or I simply do not go to the boards they frequent.

A question for the people who don't understand repeats: if Clay had a major role in a movie, would you go to see it more than once?

You bet your sweet bippy I would!!

So there are no tongue lovers here? I really thought some of you would jump on that Wichita clip to peruse that adorable body part!! Guess its just me!!

And my unsweet bippy. I ALREADY go to see movies I like 2-3 times. I can't even imagine how many times I'd go see Clay. (And I'm not even counting after it comes out on DVD!!!)

Is that excessive?

Caveat: This is not aimed at anyone here, but at things I am reading in general today around the boards. I'm pretty new here, even though I've met a number of FCAers, so I hope ranting is allowed by a newbie. Scroll at will.

OK, I'll freely admit it. I am overly sensitized to criticism of Clay after the horrors of 2006. I figure he is going to get plenty of criticism from critics, moronic DJs and haters without actual fans joining in.

It's fine for people to disagree on things. Fans have differences of opinion on their favorite song, outfit, album, tour, snark and the ever-changing hair. That's good. That means there's enough diversity in Clay for a wider spectrum of people to enjoy him. It's even fine in MHO to express disappointment in an album, song, performance, tour, etc.

Up to a point.

It is definitely true that some people seem to live to be the FIRST bearer of bad news. I know someone very well who is like this. They recap extensively and authoritatively on all the things that were bad about a performance, or first show of a tour. Always. And I am never surprised. That's because BEFORE seeing said performance or show they have already talked extensively about how Clay makes poor choices and doesn't prepare and needs a director to structure his shows and a voice coach to improve his voice. And so, she gets what she expected. And yes, she expects that her opinion will be accepted as truth. But it's really only her truth, so it would be fine if she expressed herself that way.

As for me, I expect to hear great singing and be entertained. And I get what I expected each time as well. Usually with bonuses of cute moments, humor or flashes of the gorgeous. Works for me.

I am the first to admit that I am extremely fortunate. Because I live in Los Angeles, I have had the great pleasure of seeing many of Clay's TV performances live. And yes, I do believe that Live Clay makes all the difference. Over and over and over I have come back from a taping and all my SoCal pals are raving about how great he was, and then people watch it and pick the performance apart. We all say...."but live in the studio/theater/arena/whatever, he sounded FANTASTIC". Often, I've found, the live sound DOESN'T translate well over TV. I don't think that that was the case in Las Vegas. The sound was GREAT on my TV. All Is Well was just amazing. Unfortunately, the sound was equally clear for DSIAFCD with it's slight cracks and gravelly parts. He scared us to death since that was only the second song. But he was the ultimate Clay Aiken; he came right back from that and nailed AIW perfectly!! Yay Clay!!

So, my turn to rant a little....

I'm seeing a lot of comment about how he should have warmed up...that it showed that he didn't. How quickly these people forgot the fangirly reports of Clay rehearsing.....of hearing him practicing DSIAFCD and AIW, etc. He had to sing them. More than once. He didn't have Quiana to fill in for him. He and the skaters had to get coordinated. When Sasha had to come back to reskate parts of her routines, she had to do it without music, since they had no recorded version available. If anything, he may have had to over-rehearse in that cold, dry air, and it may have taken a toll. I wish it could have been totally perfect, but overall, he sounded amazing in that arena AND on my TV.

And then there are the puffy/fat comments. You know, they say that the camera adds 10 pounds. Many years ago I worked in the airline industry. We saw celebrities all.the.time. You know that adage about the camera is true. Every.single.one.of.them was thinner, shorter, smaller than they looked on TV or on the big screen. Every.single.one.

When I saw Clay at Leno before ATDW came out, all of us commented that he looked unbelievably thin. At home on my TV, he looked slender, but nothing like the skinny guy I had just seen in the studio. If you think back to some of the snapshots we saw of Clay during AI with friends or family, he looked like a RAIL!! On TV he looked thin, but not like a poster child for starvation relief.

So that didn't help. Plus, as I said just yesterday, I'd bet my pension that Clay was on Prednisone that day. I've seen the changes in my patients' faces too frequently not to see the tell-tale signs. He couldn't have gained enough weight in the 10 days between Sedaka and LV to make that big of a change.

I had to change the aspect ratio on my TV when it aired. It looks like they were showing it in a slightly different mode. I had to take it out of Wide Zoom to keep all of them from looking like they were 4' x 4'. Weird.

In the arena, we didn't get the rear view of Clay. The mic pack was not a friend of either suit. From the front, in person, he looked great. I'm posting this picture as a reminder. See?????

221026773-XL.jpg

Clay is a singer. I hope that people who saw that show came away thinking....."Wow!! That guy has a GREAT voice. And he seems like a really nice guy who doesn't blow his own horn and works a lot for charity. Who knew?" That would be a great outcome. The fact that he has great numbers on Amazon the day AFTER Christmas is a hopeful sign.

I am going to New York for his debut weekend. I'm seeing the show 3 times. I want to see if there is any tweaking or subtle adjustment in that time, and I want to enjoy Clay and the show. My roomie and I are also seeing another Broadway show while we're there plus other fun stuff. I hope the critics are kind or ignore him, but I'll tell you right now that anything I have to say about the show is going to be fangirly. That's just the kind of fan I am, I guess.

/end rant.

So there are no tongue lovers here? I really thought some of you would jump on that Wichita clip to peruse that adorable body part!! Guess its just me!!

Well, I'm a tongue lover, but I don't discriminate too much when it comes to Clay's body parts. However, we do have a resident tongue-obsessed poster (I was going to type 'member' but figured then I'd need to make some smutty comment...heh) here whose initials are bottlecap.. :whistling-1:

Oh, and bottle...thanks for the info re: the :new7: smiley...I did scroll but I guess I was too impatient to wait until my computer revealed all of them! So, FCA....

:new7: :new7: :new7:

PermaSwooned, I could quote your whole post but I just want to say that I agree with you. I heard the "imperfections" in DSIAFCD but it didn't take away my enjoyment of the song. I also wondered if his voice wasn't tired from practicing. I sing for 2 hrs on Sunday and my speaking voice is hoarse...if I had to sing for another hour, I'm guessing I'd start to hear the same hoarseness in my singing.

Why would he have been on Prednisone? Did we hear anything that would make that a possibility?

I'm really feeling like a heathen about not seeing Clay more than once, movie or theater,....I hope my name isn't added to the bad fan list. :clay:

I think some of the hyper-criticality (is that a word?) is due to the fact that fans watch so much clack, that every note of every performance is compared to previous ones. (He held that note better in Houston. He did it with a growl in Wilkes-Barre. He did more runs at the Borgata.) I also think that many so desperately want Clay to be impressive to the N.J.U. crowd that they worry when they don't really need to do so.

For the most part, I think these impulses are understandable. And I do think everyone has a right to not like everything. However, I just wish that more people would keep a respectful tone in mind when posting. Sometimes, I'm shocked at some of the things fans say about Clay. They can sometimes be harsher and more cruel than critics, DJ's, or comedians any day.

FWIW, if there's something I like, I will see it multiple times. I've seen the theater production of Les Miserables four times, and I'd see it again if it came by. I know people who have seen The Color Purple multiple times. Clay has apparently seen Wicked more than once. And of course, Rent has a nearly cultish following. If I were to go to Spamalot, I'd probably see it more than once, just to make the most of my time while there. The great thing about live theater is that rarely will you see two shows that are precisely the same, no matter how professional or rehearsed the cast may be. There can be subtle differences, many unplanned, that make each unique. With Spamalot, I suspect there's a lot of room for improvisation and spontaneity, and I would not at all be shocked if Clay occasionally brings something fresh to his performances. I'd also be willing to be that his last performance will be markedly different than the first.

JumpingJacks, no need to apologize for your thoughts. They are yours, and we respect you for it. Some just feel differently, that's all.

Yay, PermaSwooned!

So there are no tongue lovers here?

Uh, no. Not me. The extensive collection of tongue shots on my hard drive are the results of malicious hacking. I swear. No, really. I didn't painstakenly collect them one by one or anything like that. Seriously, THEY.ARE.NOT.MINE. I think they belong to Fake Baby Mama. Truly...

Y'all believe me, right? :unsure:

Wichita, you say?

ETA: muskifest => :lies: