American Idol 7

Ansamcw

CG...I agree with you for the most part. I think what people are suspecting is that these kids got helped during the audition process. That they were recruited or the labels sent them to get the publicity before their CD's that are already in the can gets released. I think its really impossible to get really talented people with star quality that do not have any pro experience. Even with Clay...his lack of experience was because he was pursuing something else...but he had a lot of opportunities to get professional experience but held back. People like Kelly, Ruben were pursuing contracts in labels before. But as far as we know all these people lined up...went through all the AI producers and went through the audition like everyone else. With Carly, Micheal and David A...I think people are suspecting that they were recruited...went in front of the judges right away...and would've gone through even if their auditions didn't do so well. I think Clay himself referred to this in one of his interviews...he said the auditioning process has changed and people are going through without having to sleep on the streets. I also think that the fact that Robbie's boyband background was mentioned right away but not Carly's and Michael's make me suspect they were hiding something with this two, thats why that was a dumb move on AI's part.

Lilyshine...I kinda understand what Simon is saying about sounding relevant and current. I listen to a lot of music my girls listen to and they do have a lot of solo artists in their ipods...and a lot of punk rock, alt rock and pop rock bands. I think this is the sound that Simon is looking for. He is also right that a lot of old songs can be remade and it can sound really fresh and contemporary. Lots of bands and artist do covers but they drastically change the arrangement and style so my girls seldom realize the songs they are singing are pretty old.

From last night I would say they do have a lot of contemporary people...Jason C, David C, Robbie, David H has a bit of alt rock/ punk rock vibe, Garrett, Colton and Danny N, with the right songs can be put into the the high school musical demographic. David A is a bit problematic because he is cute but his voice sounds too mature and he is a bit old fashioned in how he looks, Luke is another one that can be more contemporary with the right song choice but I just don;t think he has a real style on his own. I find the type of rock Michael J does is a bit dated...a bit too classic rock and I suspect he may have a hard time finding an audience the way Bo Bice did. The people that were really a bit too old fashioned are Jason Y and Chikizie...I think they will be gone soon.

I actually thought it was interesting choosing a 60's theme...because it showed who can go outside the box and still be authentic to who they are. I thought Danny did that with his funky Elvis, Jason, David C and David H changed things enough to be different. But Michael was good karaoke IMO.

I lost interest about halfway through last night, but that won't stop me from posting my thoughts. HA!

Hated the '60s theme. I understand Nigel's reason for wanting familiar songs, but I think the theme has been overdone on AI. Besides, 60s songs might be familiar to the producers' and judges' demographic, but how relevant are they to the show's teen viewers? One thing I actually liked about Blake last year was that he took a chance on songs that were more current (i.e. ten years old or less).

I was interested that show acknowledged several times that about half the boys hadn't had significant screen time yet and tried to talk to them a bit more.

Comments on the boys I remember:

David C. - has certain angles where he's kinda cute. Needs to lose the bad hair styles.

David A. - great voice. The post-song spazz out could be problematic. Some voters might find it charming and others might hate it. I suspect if it continues to go on, it will work my last nerve.

Luke - the best looking of the bunch, in my opinion. Too bad his song sucked, and I don't see him making the Top 12 Group.

I don't remember the name of the guy with the cute little boy. Nice to see him exploit his kid for sympathy votes. Only not. It illustrates to me that this year's contestants are students of the show and know how to manipulate their story lines in order to win votes. Or maybe I'm just a cynical bitch.

So far, it's process I find interesting, not so much the contestants. Maybe the girls will be more compelling.

With Carly, Micheal and David A...I think people are suspecting that they were recruited...went in front of the judges right away...and would've gone through even if their auditions didn't do so well. I think Clay himself referred to this in one of his interviews...he said the auditioning process has changed and people are going through without having to sleep on the streets.

The auditioning process has changed from Season 2 in that contestants no longer have to camp out at venues prior to being evaluated. Most venues prohibit people from sleeping on their property, and quite frankly, few have the space or sanitation facilities to accommodate tens of thousands of campers. Now, wristbands are distributed to contestants throughout the day before the auditions, so they can sleep in a hotel and return for their audition.

Some local Fox stations do have contests which allow the winners to go directly before the judges. Charlotte had such a competition, in which Quiana won over Clay.

With Carly, Micheal and David A...I think people are suspecting that they were recruited...went in front of the judges right away...and would've gone through even if their auditions didn't do so well. I think Clay himself referred to this in one of his interviews...he said the auditioning process has changed and people are going through without having to sleep on the streets.

The auditioning process has changed from Season 2 in that contestants no longer have to camp out at venues prior to being evaluated. Most venues prohibit people from sleeping on their property, and quite frankly, few have the space or sanitation facilities to accommodate tens of thousands of campers. Now, wristbands are distributed to contestants throughout the day before the auditions, so they can sleep in a hotel and return for their audition.

Some local Fox stations do have contests which allow the winners to go directly before the judges. Charlotte had such a competition, in which Quiana won over Clay.

Yup I understand that...but they all still have to pass through several levels of producers before getting in front of the judges. I think that is what Clay meant..that some were getting recruited and getting to skip over the lower level producers straight to the judges. I think there were a lot of speculations about Diana and Fantasia on season 3. Of course...this is IMO...cos I cannot really speak for Clay but that was how I interpreted what he said. This is of course different from the course Quiana and I think Jordin took...winning local events...they still had to go against lots of local talents.

I was expecting better of Idol than what we got last night. None of these guys tripped my trigger. I thought David H and Michael J -- the beginning and end -- were the best last night. The guy who did the Lovin' Spoonfuls song was interesting and cute -- but no American Idol IMO. I thought there was obviously extra air time granted to David A. -- and I don't know why. He was passable, but sang Shop Around in a key too low for him, but that didn't deter the genuflecting from the judges. Sort of reminded me of judge behavior for Ruben when he had an off night. I thought most of the song choices sucked. The 60's had great music and to hear reheated ear pablum was less than exciting.

Poor Mr. Moon River -- how sad was that?

Now to Danny Noriega, who I was predisposed to root for because I thought he had a great voice and personality in the auditions -- what a dismal performance. Maybe Clay has ruined me for anyone else covering Elvis, because I won't even discuss the guy singing Suspicious Minds.

Garrett is a goner sometime in the next three weeks. How did he get into the top 24 with that high-pitched stringy voice?

David Cook was okay, but come on Randy ... Alice In Chains? He was okay but not even to the Chris Daughtry level for me ... and I'm no fan of Daughtry.

I think the hype about Best Season Ever is just that ... hype. At least David Johns can sing. He may be a ringer but at least he seems to have some confidence and talent which were rare commodities last night.

I can't see one of the guys winning this thing unless some of them are big time sandbaggers.

OOOh OOOh OOOh, I am one of the people that speculated about Diana and Fantasia - Fantasia because her story was just so fake - security guards do not decide you can audition directly before a judge, sorry, not buying that. Diana because of the whole Hawaii auditionthing, like everyone skips the audition in their home town and jaunts halfway across the country to audition on a whim, well, there was more to her story that sounded strange, but I have forgotten it.

I understand that many shows have ways of getting to the front of the line, but then again, do they portray everyone as suffering through the multi audition process? Heck, AI won't even admit the multi audition process exists, they like to pretend everyone auditions before the judges.

The issue with the auditions is the randomness of getting ahead - there are the screeners who are just looking for bad people and pass on anyone who is good and the others who are only looking for good people. I believe Clay touched on this subject, a lot of auditioners have touched on this subject. OK, so some people can skip ahead, but that path should not be covered up the way it is. I know the show is fantasy, but we are not so innocent (TM Britney).

What I wonder is ...... if people skip steps to get on the show, will they have the wherewithall to survive the hard work taht made the show so interesting in the past? Season 3, they had too many youngsters to work them like they did to season 2 and the group songs sufferred. In season 4 they got older people and, from what I have heard, the booze and drugs flowed in the guys section at night, and they didn't seem to take the hard work quite as seriously, the group songs majorly sucked (except, oddly enough, Scott Savol, who really knew about singing in the same key as the other person????) and some of the Ford commercials did not feature the contestants visually (cartoons) or just standing around in like photo clips. This is hard work, and if someone thinks it is just get onthe show and get famous and sell lots of records, well, the show will suck for it. When youi featured more nobodies, there was more of a desperation, hunger, do anything to succeed.

I know some people think I have gone overbaord on the who professional thing and not waiting in line, etc.... Well, I think I can get you one board.

article accusing Micahel lip syncing

There are times when you really wonder what is going on with this show. Yes, it is hard to catch lightning in the botrtle, but if this is true, why bother, just bring Britney on, at least she can dance when she is sober.

I haven't taken Idol seriously since Season 2, and while I do watch it, it's more to keep up with the water cooler conversations than any other thing.

I guess Idol thinks it has become too big now to trust itself to amateurs and be a legitimate search for undiscovered talent. I think the producers and judges would be scared to death to go to airtime with a stage full of true amateurs, ergo the ringers and lip-synching, and the show will continue on a downhill slide as to real enthusiasm and believability.

Do any of you vote? I haven't voted, or attempted to vote, since the AI2 finals when I was on the phone for three hours getting that blasted fast busy signal.

I have a hard time believing they will go so far as do lipsyncing on idol...Its possible that its the back tracking that people hear. They do record that and they do record the performances, we knew that from AI2. But Michael's singing had a lot of pitchy moments so I don't think they will leave that on if that is pre-recorded.

haven't seen anyone thats good...

even Brooke chose the wrong song for her...I like that song but its not really her...and of course everyone thought it was perfect for her...sheesh

hee I do like her personality, she did well sparring with simon...good for her.

I guess it is just taht some one would have the nerve to suggest it makes me think the shark has finally been jumped. Draggining the preliminaries out to two ours, 6 songs an hour is really stretching things. Boring, boring. I keep falling asleep. Luckily Wife Swap and Top model are on agains this, so I have something to watrch and can still catch all the singing.

The only one I have any interest in hearing again so far is my Filipina!

The arrangements really showed their weaknesses - because for the most part, these are not girls with powerful vocals....

They really should have gone with livelier choices - they seemed to even slow down the uptempo ones...

YAY that little Filipina girl is the best so far. I love her interpretation...love the nuance and color in her voice...and pretty poised too. I loved her hair and make up comment, that was very young and fresh.

so why did Simon get upset in the end? didn't get that.

The only one I have any interest in hearing again so far is my Filipina!

EEEEEEEE yeah...I definitely want to see more of her. Love that she sang that song...I remember hearing that song all over the radio when I was growing up...

Is Asia'h the Filipina girl? She was great!

Nope Marielle....but I loved Asia'h too....oops its Ramielle...

I thought Filipina was Reamieh something...

not Asia'h (who didn't thrill me either)

Syriah (or whatever her name is) is clearly talented but I think that was not a great song choice - and she really needs to make better eye contact with the camera and not frown so much.

Damn, sometimes Simon and I are so totally on the same wavelength. They gave the ringer the sweet spot, she's carefully covering up the tattoos because she really can't pull off serious rocker chick, and attempted to explain away the previous album troubles as that the label happened to disappear - instead of a major push and she flopped. She's a good singer but there is no flavor to her voice - the audience wasn't at all into it, and neither was I. If she wants to get past my initial prejudice, she needs to kick it out of the park and she didn't. I would also like to see the Australian and the Irish girl show that they are at least working on American citizenship if they wanna be the American Idol. What can I say, I'm petty.

yup ramielle...

She was my favorite...she just had a freshness to her and I was glad she didn;t just belt it out.

Syesha...my second favorite..I think she had a really strong voice but not as nuanced as Ramielle...I think she will just rely on her power

Asia'h...I really like her. She had this smoky texture to her voice and such a great personality...

Brooke...I love her but her vocals was a bit shaky but I am totally charmed by her

Carly...vocally competent...but she seem soooo tense when she sings...I totally agreed with simon. she was a total disappointment.Randy;s over pimping is going to back fire on her.

Then after that...everyone is just all a mish mash forgettable...not just voice, but in looks...

I wish I could get excited about someone this year. A couple of the guys were good, but not enough to get me to vote. I really was not impressed by the girls. Maybe next week will be better . I just do not get Carly, vocals ok but not great. I can not stand the pimping. Let their talent talk for them, I do not need a judge to brag them up so I will like them.

http://www.ocregister.com/column/abc-idol-...ecorded-actress

I tend to agree with this writer. I don't much believe that Idol needs to find ringers. Everybody and their mama would love to be on this show including people with talent and including people who have been trying for years to make it. I also don't think they'd screw with a billion dollar product just for the hell of it. I really don't believe Fantasia was a ringer in her season because she was an afterthought until all of the pyts let their nerves get to them.