American Idol 7

Ansamcw

I;ve been thinking about this AI year...

For me the two contestants that really got to me were Jason and Brooke. I think its because they seem the most raw...innocent... BUT as jmh pointed out, the contestants also needs some improvement, some growth and Jason and Brooke couldn;t do that. So now that they are out of it, I really couldn't care less who wins.

Fantasia.....did you see the look on Simon's face! LOL

As for Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now , Clay and Rubin did it on their final night, I believe. It was definately just the two of them. This time Archuletta sang Rube's part and Cook sang Clay's....Syesha got the left overs.

YouTube

Anyone else flash back... when they showed the pool with Archuletta face painted on the bottom? Much like the pretty photo shopped picture of Clay walking pool side, with his face on the bottom of the pool!

Im000089.jpg

I never saw that pic - thanks rohdy!

I missed the show, read the comments, and watched Fantasia on youtube.

I thought she did great, really, unless the whole crowd was faking it. The look on Simon's face was priceless, though.

Heeee....she reminded me of Pink! I liked her confidence.

The thing about thinking that David A has Clay's fans? Aren't we all supposedly older and lusting after Clay? I cannot imagine grown women lusting after David A. Whether they love his voice or not. I think the mistaken assumption here (and the assumption that has led to the puzzlingly low sales for winners, industry trends notwithstanding) is that thinking a clearly defined group of the same people choose to become fans of the winner each year just like it did for Clay or Ruben. Switching allegiance or object of affection or something. There are some that get invested in a new singer every year, but not enough to support a career in any appreciable way. I see people picking a favorite each year, is all. But the same group of fans who love Clay do not think alike about any other singers at all, as a group.

Couchie's girl Fantasia just rocked American Idol--she was the bomb, y'all. She's a performer fully grown. Bo was good last week too. Although I'd have loved to see Clay, I think they've chosen well with those two. People who haven't had the "success" of Carrie or Kelly or Clay, for that matter, but are talented and polished artists.

ITA...I was reading another boards AI thread and the post about Fantasia was just really bad...(don;t check it out Couchie) so I watched it on you tube and I didn't think it was bad at all for what it was. It is exactly what my girls have in their ipods...the beat was outrageous...she was outrageous and she gave that performance her all. Its not really my type of music because I like things more melodic but it was very hip and hot for the dance crowd I think. Very high energy. about her looks...I thought her outfit was classy, the red hair was not to my liking but sure was an attention getter. I think Simon;s WTF face was about her hair...

Yeah I also watched the ANSUN by this years top 3...and that was really a train wreck. David A.s sang Rubens part, his voice...was totally drowned out by the band and so weak...can;t hold a candle to Ruben's version...cook sang clays...had more power but was so pitchy...again...paled in comparison. Even the choreography was very lame...as lame as Ruben and clay;s...but at least they looked like having fun...this three looked uncomfortable.

Oh Couchie - sorry. I cannot listen to Fantasia - much less look at her. Never did "get" her.

David A. is asexual as far as I'm concerned. I see nothing attractive or charismatic about him. I don't understand where all the love is coming from because he sounds the same week after week - IMO. Is it the pre-teens that think he's all that? Sheesh.

I think it's time for a change in the judges of this show if it's to continue. I'm soooo tired of Randy's "dawg!" Paula's brain farts and Simon's caustic remarks.

But as I've said - if David A. wins this I'm never watching the show again.

Ok, I am easily amused. It seems that the ratings are improving for AI, .... a little. Top 3 results was 14.4 - but whatr?? Season 2 was 14.5??? The only season lower was season 3 because it did not pick up steam as much as other season.

BWAH!!!

SURPRISE! ...onlynot....It's David vs David!

Sayesha got robbed, of course---she's certainly as talented if not moreso than Jordin Sparks. I think she seems like a cool womanl; she's HAWT! and I think she's versatile. David Cook should win, but who knows just how the AI machinery will grind away....

David A makes me SOOOOO uncomfortable--Although his actual voice is pleasing to the ear, watching him perform is frankly painful. And he is a freakin' trainwreck in interview mode. He's such a YOUNG seventeen; I just can't imagine him dealing with what winning AI means.

David C, on the other hand, being an 'old hand' at this whole lead singer in a band, stage performer, music producer thang will obviously become a big star, especially on radio and in concert, I think. I like most of what I've seen him do, so no biggie...

Fantasia...I heard on our 'lite' radio station this morning the two djs dissing her and her performance. It sounded so very mean spirited---just like the derogatory personal comments we've seen and heard about Clay. I found myself wanting to defend her and I don't even like her sound! The female dj was saying how 'horrible' her hair looked, how her outfit was 'ugly and obviously belonging to a size smaller than her own', etc. Both had nothing good to say about how she sounded (and I'm not a fan of that music, either...although I DO give 'props' to her actual performance. She works it, for sure!)...and both commented on Simon's wtf face :cryingwlaughter:

I saw she has braces now---good for her! Clay got his veneers and Fantasia got her braces! And really, can we criticize her red hair after Clay has gone through so many hair iterations? :lmaosmiley-1:

I thought David A sounded a bit forced, and it is evident that he really has not got much range - lots of times instead of going higher he just sings louder, and his voice gets thin.

It was, well, just nice or just OK. The tongue bath made me change channels, I hope someone else can report the rest.

not really interested in watching cos can;t stand the tongue bath to david A...will just catch david C's performance on you tube...

but took a peak and I see David C was very unhappy about soe of the judges responses so I guess they are being hard on him.

Are you the designated watcher? How did DA do on DLTSGDOM? 6 out of 7 years had this song performed.

Gosh for a while there, I thought so. LOL

David A. did okay but you know, once Clay sings a song it will always be a Clay Aiken song. I have to agree with djs, it was weak and forced.

Actually I thought David C was a little weak tonight too...almost like he was throwing the match.

I don't know why I watched tonight...near the end I felt like puking. I know it is all spin but still. I really don't care who wins. I had a thought though...do you think if David A were to win it could somehow "help" Clay? Do you think he will have any better luck selling CD's? Will the tide change?

The highlight of the show was hearing Ruben. Did he put on more weight?

David A. is asexual as far as I'm concerned. I see nothing attractive or charismatic about him. I don't understand where all the love is coming from because he sounds the same week after week - IMO. Is it the pre-teens that think he's all that? Sheesh.

No, I don't think it's the pre-teens. I like him too. So I guess it's me and all the 8 - 10-year-olds that are rooting for him. I think he has a very special voice, and, as we've heard Slimon say over and over again 'we're looking for a recording artist'. It doesn't matter if his demeanor or facial expressions aren't engaging....if he can record a CD that the little girls will buy, then he can be a successful recording artist. He just isn't much of an 'entertainer'.

A couple of weeks ago a lady at work commented about how great David C was and how awful David A was and I said I preferred Little David's voice. She looked at me aghast and said, "Oh but can you imagine going to one of his concerts and watching him just stand there?" I replied, 'Hell no, I can't imagine going to any of their concerts, but I might buy a CD if the voice on it was pleasing to me."

I'm from the Kansas City area and I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one in the metro area that pulling for LIttle David. This is David Cook territory. Maybe that plays into my feelings somewhat...I'm tired of hearing about him. :cryingwlaughter:

I'm thoroughly disgusted. Maybe - I say "maybe - Archie outsung David Cook last night but the shameless pimping of the judges was sickening. Wait till they try to market that little dweeb. My heart went out to Cook. I think they were unnecessarily hard on him and it wasn't that warranted. Actually, I hope he doesn't win because than he won't owe his soul to the company store. I predict he outsells Daughtrey.

And Good Lord & Taylor - went David A. goes on Leno he'll have to wear Depends.

ETA: Bookwhore - I posted before I read your post. Wasn't slamming on you for liking David A. It's all a matter of taste. I agree he has a beautiful voice but I wish he had waited a few years before going on Idol. I think it takes more than a beautiful voice to be a recording artist.......but, time will tell.

you're not alone BW..my mom is rooting for the younger David.

So, I woke up about 4 something this morning and they were doing a story on mormans and reality shows on ABC news. I kid thee not. Anyway, I heard a piece of his DLTSGDOM and thought it was really good.

I spent a lunch today surrounded by a group of students in their 20's here to register for summer classes, discussing Idol last night. Here's what I got out of it:

Everyone was disgusted by the over the top pimping the judges were giving David A. last night. No one's ever noticed Randy Jackson acting so weird before. Thought David C. was deflated because they've already told him he's not going to win, or else he's seen the writing on the wall.

One guy said he's never voted before and never will, but was tempted to call in and vote for David C. just because the judges were pushing so hard for David A. that it turned him off.

David C. seemed upset about something last night and a discussion about him tearing up at the end of The World I Know.

David A. has a beautiful tone to his voice within his very limited range, but it gets boring before the song's over.

No, David A. has a creepy voice.

Is Randy now taking the same drugs Paula's been on? What's up with him?

Why do judges tell contestants they didn't like a song choice, when they had to sing what they were told.

Cook is better than Daughtry.

No, Daughtry is better than Cook.

Daughtry is an asshole.

Cook's hair sucks.

David A. acts 12 years old.

Ruben sounded better than David A. or David C.

Ruben looks like he's gained more weight.

Who's Ruben?

The people who DVR'ed didn't see Ruben because the show ran over and he was cut off.

Nobody cares that much who wins because it doesn't mean anything anymore.

This whole season was not good TV.

The women liked Michael Johns. Someone said they're only watching the Finale to see him.

And that's about it.

Interesting observations KF...thanks for sharing.

I have been disgusted by the over the top pimping of David A by Randy since early on. I think David A is not bad...but I find his voice a bit thin and airy, his range limited and his singing style always the same. But the kid really seem young and its not really his fault if the judges over pimped him. But this is what made me stop watching this show this season. That and how the judges were just so mean to Jason, which was truly unnecessary cos I didn't think Jason could beat the Davids.

Last night I only took a peak and saw cook facing the judges...I thought he had a resigned look to his face...like he could see the writing on the wall.

This was subtle and maybe I was imagining it - but at the end of the show when Ryan was blathering about tonite's show and how the next American Idol would be crowned (or gobsmacked - however you look at it!) it seemed like David Cook - in the midst of clapping - kind of deferred to David A.

In the final analysis I don't give a rat's patootie who wins because I found my Idol 5 years ago - however, I agree with Clay. I liked the show better when it was innocent.

And wasn't it Randy who said earlier in the season that Fantasia was the best talent to come out of that show? Yup. He's having himself some of what Paula's been having.......

Ansa - I definitely think David C. had a resigned look on his face last night. And I think he got all teary-eyed because he did the best he could and they gave him the worst reviews of the season at the most crucial time. You can't convince me that wasn't contrived.....