#25: TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"
    • He is not perfect, he is just right!
    • But Clay turned it on, as he always does.
    • I?ve got my Clay Aiken boogie board. Bring it.

I am sorry I brought the report over. I was mostly interested in the part about the teeshirt, which is something I'm definitely wanting to buy!

Those who go to the CH likely have already seen the post below. For those who don't read at the CH, this summary lets you know approximately where Clay is on stage in different scenes so you can plan where to sit. Don't read it if you don't want to be spoilered:

DolcePienza posted:

I'll post my recap later but here is some possibly helpful information for ticket buying and play watching! It's great to watch everyone on stage as they are all mad talented (Prince Herbert is sooo hilarious!) but just so y'all know where to look if you happen to want to know where Clay is at all times, and where to sit, here are some tips on the stage blocking.

It's sort of like playing Where's Waldo. Especially in the last scene where he is wearing the tux and his spirit is dancing! *cough* What?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Back D

A !!!!!! B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F!!!!!!!!!!G

STAGE

Audience meers meers NJU audience meers meers meers meers NJU

This is from the audience persepctive.

Act 1

The first two small scenes have NO Clay. I'm trying to spoil as little as possible. After the dancers leave stage, Arthur and Patsy enter at back D. Clay appears for the first time in a window in a tower at A. So you want to be able to see up and over at A -- seats too far on the left side will miss seeing him in this scene and he is adorable and funny in it.

Plague Village -- Clay enters at A-B but then is all over the place in this scene so you will see him at least some of the time from anywhere. First Clay singing!

Galahad scenes -- NO Clay. But funny as hell!

Knights -- All for One -- Clay comes in around A-B but is front of stage and very visible then moves over to E-F area with others and they sing. He has a nice singing bit here!

Camelot -- Big production number and Clay is all over the place, singing and dancing and reacting. He is toward the center for much of it and so side seats may be harder to see him (I could not see him well the first night when I was to the side). Dead center is best for this one! He tends to be over around B reacting to things with Galahad alot.

Grail -- He is around B-C but there is lots of moving and some very funny bits.

French castle -- He tends to be mostly around C but again, lots of moving in this so not a problem.

Act 3 ... 2

Scenes 1 and 2 -- No Clay

Scene 3 -- Robin and Minstrels -- Clay comes in from back D to front D in the center of the stage. Should be visible!

Scene 4 -- No Clay.

Scene 5 -- Clay's big number! He is mostly center, some back D and Front D and moves around alot of course! Center is the best place to be sitting to see it.

Scene 6 -- No Clay

Scene 7 -- Prince Herbert -- Damn this is funny. I love this scene! Clay is the guard on the right side, around E-F. Sooo funny and Herbert is a howl!

Scene 8 -- No Clay

Scene 9 -- Rabbit -- Clay is around B-C. He leaves as Robin and returns as Brother Maynard to around E. Then he returns as Robin and is at B-C for a while.

Finale -- Clay comes in at D and then goes toward F-G for some dancing which was very entertaining and then moves around a lot and ends up around B-C.

This is based on my memory from seeing two shows, once in the right side and one in dead center -- both in row EEEE! I lucked out with my matinee ticket day of the show!

You can see different things from different places. Clay's expressions are priceless and you see different ones depending where you are. I think if you have a choice, go for center seats, and if you have to pick a side, right side is better to see that tower scene, but he is often over on the left side. So left, but not too far over might also be OK. (Again these are from the audience entering a theater perspective -- the opposite of stage right and left!)

Hope this helps somebody!

I am sorry I brought the report over. I was mostly interested in the part about the teeshirt, which is something I'm definitely want to buy!

Please don't be sorry for bringing info over. Everyone reacts differently to info. These are just individuals opinions.

I really appreciate it when people bring info and recaps over. I do not get to look around other boards too much so getting these reports are very helpful.

And how are 2nd and 3rd hand reports about Clay eating at Sardi's not prying into Clay's life but a report from someone who saw him in rehearsal is?? If the person's report was "he was great and flawless, even in rehearsal!" would you have the same reaction? Somehow I don't think so.
Actually I had no problem with the Sardi report. To say that Clay was "struggling" in rehearsals, was the only part I objected to. Unless filming is permitted, it is only the final product that is presented to the public. In my business, there are times when we struggle during testing. My company would be livid with people who spread rumors about the status of an unfinished product. It is no one else's business until we are ready to put out the product. This is true about an entertainer as well. What goes on behind the scenes in preparing is up to those who own the show or the actors themselves to talk about and no one else's responsibility.

My reaction to "great and flawless" would have been skepticism.

ETA: If she goes around questioning people all the time about Clay then I stand even more firmly behind my comments. That is downright icky.

So its ok for this person to gather information about where he eats and who he eats with but its not ok to report that someone who saw him in rehearsal saw him struggling? It seems to me its a whole lot more intrusive for someone to report on his restaurant choices and dining companions than his job. And yes, rehearsing was part of his job. How many times have we eeeeeeed over reports from those who have caught glimpses of his concert rehearsals? No one objected then - because they were positive. Sorry, I think its the "struggling" report that is objectionable to some, not that she got a report from a rehearsal.

It is ok to struggle. Clay himself told us he was struggling with parts. I see nothing wrong with someone reporting that. Now, if its the person doing the reporting you have a problem with, then that's a whole other issue.

And why do we even have conversations as to what is deemed ok to report and what isn't? Some object to things others do not. If you don't "approve" of a report, just move on. Don't try and compile a moral code for everyone. The only ones who should pass judgement on what is acceptable and what is not are the admins of each board. No fan police please! There is aboard for that - and thank God its not this one!

JMO and all that.

Hell, didn't take long for some to start sucking the fun out of all this!

And Gibby - don't be sorry for bringing the report over. I am sure I wasn't the only one who enjoyed reading it!

I don't exactly know how to express this, but one of the best feelings for me is the inclusiveness that other fans love things about Clay that I'm not necessarily crazy about. It tickles me to death that just about any way he presents himself will bring extreme happiness to a certain cross section of the fandom. There are no demographics or boundaries or preferences or belief systems among the fans outside of loving the stuffing out of Clay Aiken. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm thrilled that so many fans love "cheesy," and glasses, and red/blond hair combed back. It's not me, but it's a lot of fans and I think Clay knows this and gives everybody their day. Yes, I'm not a cheese lover -- don't even like cheeseburgers -- but Clay has never been cheesy to me at all -- ever -- not even back on Idol. I'm sure it's all semantics, but cheesy and authentic can't seem to occupy the same space in my brain.

Anyway, I love to read posts that agree with me and state things in interesting and original ways that I already agree with in principle -- but I also love reading the swooning, schmoopie posts of fans thudding over the Clay that doesn't especially turn me on. It all makes me happy. Damn I'm happy.

WOW, I think this may be my favorite Blond Clay picture of all time. He has that look of wonderment on his face that is so adorable!

GOD I LOVE HIM!!!after_matinee_011908.jpg

Ok...lets not get into a whole argument about this...

CG I do believe Ivy said she realizes her view may be unpopular but its perfectly ok for her to share those views. She is not an admin or mod on this board so I don;t think her views were meant to set what should be acceptable in this board.

I also think that people expressing different opinions does not have to be contentious or seen as sucking the fun out of things. Lets just learn to resepect each ones rights to their views.

ok don;t make me use color ink again...

You asked so I'll try to answer. I didn't think there was any real information in the rest of the report regarding Sardi's. Now if she found out what magazine he was being interviewed with and it was a new and impressive interview, then I would have objected because it could have resulted in the story not being run. I'm serious. Some rehearsals are open rehearsals or not completely closed off to others. It would depend on the circumstances. Reporting on a rehearsal during a tour where they are rehearsing the same old songs doesn't seem bad at all. Reporting on a "closed" rehearsal that someone deliberately crashed is a different story. It really depends on the circumstances.

ETA: Ansamcw - I was writing this while you were posting your note. I agree about not arguing. If you want me to remove this post I will happily do so.

ETA More:

Hee.

You asked so I'll try to answer. I didn't think there was any real information in the rest of the report regarding Sardi's. Now if she found out what magazine he was being interviewed with and it was a new and impressive interview, then I would have objected because it could have resulted in the story not being run. I'm serious. Some rehearsals are open rehearsals or not completely closed off to others. It would depend on the circumstances. Reporting on a rehearsal during a tour where they are rehearsing the same old songs doesn't seem bad at all. Reporting on a "closed" rehearsal that someone deliberately crashed is a different story. It really depends on the circumstances.

Ansamcw - I was writing this while you were posting your note. I agree about not arguing. If you want me to remove this post I will happily do so.

Thats fine....just clarifying your position...

btw...did we decide on what color ink we should use???

He has that look of wonderment on his face that is so adorable!

Wonderment, keepingfaith?

yeah, I guess......I was thinking that he looks like he might right when I started to tie his shoes. :hubbahubba:

Actually, I don't know who reported that about the Sardi conversation. Maybe if I had history of that person being stalkerish I would react differently. But as far as the report of Clay struggling? That's nothing to me. Of COURSE he was struggling, for crying out loud! :cryingwlaughter: He's made it a point of telling anybody who'd listen that he was struggling! All that dancing and singing and acting---all at the same time???!?!?!?!? :cryingwlaughter: But the man's a pro. And the proof's in the pudding. He's doing everything right, per reports, and I never really doubted he would.

When hasn't he blown the roof off any stage he's been on? Even if he screws up he gathers his coconuts close and delivers something even better than originally planned! So...nah. I ain't worried about this guy. He's got it.

And I DO mean the whole package, too! :clap:

Now I must shift into Mommy mode and take the younger daughter and her buddy putt-putt golfing....later, fellow cradle-robbers! :whistling-1: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

But as far as the report of Clay struggling? That's nothing to me. Of COURSE he was struggling, for crying out loud! :cryingwlaughter: He's made it a point of telling anybody who'd listen that he was struggling! All that dancing and singing and acting---all at the same time???!?!?!?!? :cryingwlaughter: But the man's a pro. And the proof's in the pudding. He's doing everything right, per reports, and I never really doubted he would.

In regards to self-described reports of Clay struggling, there is the often used political strategy of "lowering expectations". Often used because it works and it makes the final result seem even more remarkable than it already is. Maybe Clay isn't self-deprecating as much as a "lowering expectations" practitioner? Interesting spin, anyway!

I didn't mind the report. I try to take any first, second, or third hand reports with a grain of salt. I think it is quite the compliment to Clay if this rehearsal watcher thought he was struggling and then amazed at the actual performance.

I didn't know you used a color. I thought that you would throw a scary looking stiletto. :cryingwlaughter: Or is it only KAndre who does that?

red-stiletto.jpg

hee the stiletto is KAndre's unique touch...I was thinking of the using the whip emoticon but its just not me...

I LOVE all the little reports--it's not as though someone put a secret camera up or invaded Clay's home! I think it's easy enough for people who don't feel comfortable reading harmless information to just not read it. I loved hearing about the merchandise and rehearsal--I don't think it was even remotely invasive. Now, the size of Clay's dance belt would have been TOTALLY inappropriate (and I would have read through it VERY quickly so as not to taint my virtue!)

from artquest (posting from Shubert Alley) at CH:

When the stage door opened briefly, we got a brief glimpse of Dianne Sawyer! Eeeeeeeeeeeeee. Someone said she came with her husband, sat in the last row, and loved the show!

Third-hand gossip report from desertflower at CV

Just read over at the OFC, from a Poster who was talking with someone Friday Night...who happened to be the Press Agent for the show. He told her that they were waiting a couple of weeks, to let Clay settle into the role, before they invited the Critics to the Show.

I just want to say that I enjoy all different opinions and relish the freedom on this board. Thanks for sharing yours Ivy. It is my choice to agree or disagree. I have no problem with what has been shared in reports even the ones I roll my eyes at. "We" are made up of all kinds of people doing all kinds of snooping that I find icky. Some people love to invade Clay's private life and bring every tidbit they find to their board. Now that is wrong and I have seen it with my own eyes. This particular situation was somewhere between private and public since it involved work where others were present. It wasn't negative at all, IMO. If Clay did not struggle to learn this part I would have been amazed since anyone would have to work hard, ie struggle, to learn this part, especially if dancing were not one's forte. I'm just thrilled Clay has done it. There is nothing wrong with hard work and a little struggling.

I have a view of Clay's career that comes from my own world view. I see AI as a door that opened and was meant to open for Clay. I believe that people who make it to stardom are following their destiny and this was Clay's path. I don't believe he was ever going to maintain it without hard lessons because that is not who he is. From my perspective, Clay is a man who has always had to work hard for his accomplishments and when he does the work, he succeeds. I'm not sure I know anyone, great or common, who does not have to learn the hard lessons of life but Clay has a strong character, a deep faith in his God and a strong foundation with his friends and family coupled with outstanding talent, charisma and light so I would expect he would attract the darkness. That is, IMO, how it works on a cosmic level.

From dksfriend at CV:

I saw Spamalot last night and thought I'd do a quick recap. In a word, it was SPECTACULAR!!!

Like newmie, I had seen the show before and hadn't particularly liked it. I appreciate Monty Python humor, but when I saw the show about a year ago I thought the "sketch" type humor wasn't robust enough to sustain a full 2-hour show and I thought it dragged a bit, especially Act II.

But last night the show was so different - it just flew along and I really loved it!! The entire cast seemed to be very energized - I'm sure part of that is due to the enthusiastic audiences! I forgot how many hilarious spoofs of other B'way shows (like Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, West Side Story, The Boy from Oz, etc) are scattered throughout Spamalot. Musical theater lovers will appreciate these funny moments.

The entire cast is very good. I am thrilled that Clay is sharing the stage with so much talent, including three Tony award nominees (Jonathan Hadary, Brad Oscar and Christopher Sieber). The actors playing Prince Herbert and Lancelot are also great. I kept thinking what a FUN show this must be for an actor - you get to do so many silly things on stage and all of the knights play multiple characters.

I knew that Clay would be good in this part but I was incredibly impressed with how well he is doing with the role so early in his run. He fit right in on stage, looking confident and comfortable. His accents were very good and his dancing was great and very natural looking. He brought the house down with his big number (You Won't Succeed on Broadway), but I also LOVED him when he was playing Prince Herbert's guard and also Brother Maynard.

The audience last night was great, and even though there were lots of Clay fans present there were also lots of "regular" people too. This kind of humor really does seem to appeal to men - every guy around us was laughing uproariously. Brett was there last night with two friends. At one point security came over to talk to them because one of Brett's friends had taken a picture during the show!!! (So much for Clay fans being the only source of clack!)

I ran into claym8 at intermission. She (or someone she was with) had spoken to the sound guy on opening night. He said he had been doing sound on B'way for many years, but Friday night was the first time he had to adjust the sound because the AUDIENCE was making so much noise!!

The person called up on stage last night (from in seat A101) is a big Clay fan who goes to lots of concerts/events. The Clay fans in the audience were really yelling and screaming for her - I'm sure the cast was wondering why on earth she was getting so much applause!! She looked a bit nervous on stage but did a great job of not staring just at Clay while the whole cast surrounded her and sang!

It was a mad house at the stage door after the show with a huge crowd of people trying to catch a glimpse of Clay. The guy behind me yelled something like "Clay, you cussed on stage tonight" and Clay looked gave him the funniest "apologetic" look! Sean (drummer) got huge screams from the crowd when he came out - the (non Clay fans) behind us couldn't figure out who he was or why "we" were cheering for him. Most of the other cast left before Clay was out signing or while he was signing. The only other cast member that I saw stop to sign autographs (after Clay had gone back inside) was Christopher Sieber (Sir Galahad).

It was a wonderful evening and I'm already trying to figure out when I can go back to see it again. It will be fun to see Clay in another month when he has really "lived" with his part a bit longer.

Ooops, I remember one other thing I wanted to mention. In the professional pictures from the curtain call on opening night, Clay's wig looks EXTREMELY red. In person, from the audience, it doesn't look nearly that red. It looks more golden red like in the promo photo where he's holding the chicken.

Wanda... BAWH!!! I'm with you. Also, thanks for the info that the critics are invited! Didn't know that!

CG... I gotta tell you... NOTHING could bring me down at this moment in time! The man is a second lead in a very popular and successful play on Broadway and he is doing a fantastic job of it, by all reports. Don't let anything bring you down either... it is just her opinion!

I just finally watched the whole of Spamalot, courtesy of 0lsee (THANKS) and man that is the stupidest thing I've ever seen and I roared thru most of it and can just imagine the fun Clay is having doing this. This part seems tailor made for him!

Off to help Brett beat Eli (sorry bout that, Eli... I like you, but love Brett).

I tried to fix my computer on my own and it ain't happening, so... off it goes to the pc doctor. I'd really like to be able to see the pictures being posted and to reply to pm's.

I have to say for such a relatively quitet poster, wandacleo just gets right to the heart of the sugject. The "throwaway lines" always floor me.

I might believe in people having destiny if that did not cause me to woinder about allthe people whohavew the foulest luck in life. Bo seems ;ike a nice guy, but he got seriously ill which kind of imparied his promoting his album and then he lost his contract and had to pay for his next album out of pocket (he says his pockets are not as deep as the label's), his fan store is now Cafe Press and he has gone to some inexpensive management company. Was this his path? Destiny s a great way at looking at something when life goes right, but a very painful way todescribe it when things go wrong.

Let me tell you abput my dabbling into my future with a friend who claimed she was a "White Witch" - I have no idea what this means exactly, but she claimed she could forsee the future. First she read my palm, but dropped it quickly and said - sometimes the palm is misleading. Then she brought out her tarot cards and the first card she dealt was death. So she starts saying that death is not the worst card and this is all in my past, then she said the future card is more important and she then deals the card that she just told me was the worst in the deck. She then quickly gathered up the cards and told me it was fine that I did not believe in tarot and left the room. I prefer to think that we all define out own futures and luck is something random, but everyone is entilted to believe what they want.

ETA

I ran into claym8 at intermission. She (or someone she was with) had spoken to the sound guy on opening night. He said he had been doing sound on B'way for many years, but Friday night was the first time he had to adjust the sound because the AUDIENCE was making so much noise!!

This I don't consider intrusive, but hysterically funny.

Ok...lets not get into a whole argument about this...

CG I do believe Ivy said she realizes her view may be unpopular but its perfectly ok for her to share those views. She is not an admin or mod on this board so I don;t think her views were meant to set what should be acceptable in this board.

I also think that people expressing different opinions does not have to be contentious or seen as sucking the fun out of things. Lets just learn to resepect each ones rights to their views.

I didn't think it was an argument. I thought it was a discussion with two different points of view.

And it wasn't the fact she was expressing her views that bothered me. It was her tone that made me feel she was telling us this was wrong - not just saying it made her uncomfortable. I think it was the part of her post that stated we should "learn" that got me. It just sounded very judgmental. Perhaps I misinterpreted her.

I have always respected the right of others to express their views. Although I still don't know why someone just can't read a post, think to themselves that it was a bit intrusive and not comment on it so others can just enjoy rather than posting what they admit may be unpopular and thus they must expect people to disagree with them. But since I suspect I have been guilty of that myself, I guess you can just chalk that up to many just want their opinion known.

But I also expect my comments disagreeing with their views should also be respected, and I get the impression it was I who am being threatened with ink - of any color. Not sure why ivy can have her say and be defended but I can't have mine.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you're saying, ansa. If so, ten again I am sorry.

Guess I need to step back before I become the one sucking the fun out of things.

I might believe in people having destiny if that did not cause me to woinder about allthe people whohavew the foulest luck in life. Bo seems ;ike a nice guy, but he got seriously ill which kind of imparied his promoting his album and then he lost his contract and had to pay for his next album out of pocket (he says his pockets are not as deep as the label's), his fan store is now Cafe Press and he has gone to some inexpensive management company. Was this his path? Destiny s a great way at looking at something when life goes right, but a very painful way todescribe it when things go wrong.

I'm not sure I want to get into a heavy philosophical discussion nor do I feel the need to define my belief system but yes, I do believe that Clay Aiken is destined to be a big star and that Bo, as much as I like him, isn't in that league. I suffer from a few major chronic illnesses and those are cards I was dealt in this life. My challenges make me who I am and they make me stronger in spirit and have challenged me to understand life from more than an earthly perspective. I don't believe in predicting the future. We all have the free will to make choices which may or may not be right for our soul's growth and I guess I also believe in karma so even if we do everything right from an ego level, the soul has to learn its lessons. From this cosmic context, the world makes sense to me. Otherwise I don't think I could get up every day and smile and feel the optimism I feel despite the challenges in my physical body and the messed up world that surrounds me. And so, that is how I view reality and of course, we are all entitled to our own viewpoints.

Sorry, I think Itend to like philisophical discussions and very few others do, it is probably not appropriate and is definitely off topic, I like to see how others think - we are such a varied group. I don't mean for my opinions to be judgemental, just different.

I am still very happy for Clay and I think he will be a great star because of his talent and his drive.

Sometimes I think back to his life on the cusp of idol and how difficult it must have been to believe the transition and to commit to it as a career - a difficult career choice for anyone. He did see it as being transitory for a while and somehow we are still around and that seems to bolster him in his drive.

:backtotopic:

I think everyone should assume an IMO because no one post or no two posts are going to change board policy ..which hmmmm ok yes we do have board policies :cryingwlaughter:

I really hope people continue to bring over assorted and sundry items because I find out 99% of my Clay news here. I don't have the time these days to be a multiple board person so I really appreciate it. If you have concerns about a source it's ok to express it but consider the info - if it's pretty innocuous most folks really won't care. If it's some of the more crazy crap we found about not long ago that's a different story and that info shoudl be openly mocked before it takes root.

Back to work..I swear I'm feeling the pressure cuz I am determined to go see Clay. I must see my boyfriend in Spamalot. Maybe I'll write that in sentences every day as inspiration.