#25: TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"
    • He is not perfect, he is just right!
    • But Clay turned it on, as he always does.
    • I?ve got my Clay Aiken boogie board. Bring it.

Hoenstly, I am not going to believe in the great buzz yet. Our friends tell us what we want to hear a lot ofthe time or the buzz could be localized. I think Clay joining has been well publicized and it reaping it's rewards - that and the 3000 fans he takes everywhere he goes. When he leaves they will have to get their own 3000 fans to keep going to the play.

I think this is a fun thing for Clay to do, a learning experience and good on his resume, but I am not going to believe it will wipe out all naysayers because... those people have no reason to dislike Clay in the first place, hence they do not respong to logic. Ithink some people will have to reevaluate what they thought when the facts hit them in the face, but I don't think appearing in this play will make Clay "Kewl". I think it is more likely that nerds everwhere will stop following the lead of the cool kids and we will have more people who work in real jobs and have money to spend and will buy records and go to concerts - leaving the Kewl Kidds to their Kewl stuff.

ETA and this is why I live my life in a world where there are few highs and lows - hills not mountains of emotions. This is a good thing, but some people seem so high,that tghey are expecting miracles form this. I will be happy when Clay gains back some momentum.

I don't mean the haters won't convert, pfft, there seem to be more and more of them because they don't get the personal attention from Clay that each of them crave - I think Haters is a bad term for them - they act like jilted lovers. But I feel that some people who don't hate, but just like to reject and judge will not change either. I can see Clay networking and getting professional respect, but untilthese respectors come forward and recommend him to the public, it is not going to do much. Although it could get him the next job that would help. I would love to see Clay in a movie, but he seems to be more focused on TV.

Heeee, Muski, as you know, I'll be there in the row right ahead of you with my hubby. Having him there ain't gonna stop me from using my binoculars!! He knows I look at everything Clay has to offer.

And if it offends him, he'll just take me back to the hotel and spank me a little bit for being naughty. Which I won't mind a bit.

play - I agree that there are those who will always dislike Clay, no matter what he does. I do think that this is an opportunity to win over a few more fans, though. Whether they end up buying his album will probably depend on a number of factors, one being the style of the music on the album. However, haters aren't likely to be won over by even the greatest success. Pfffffft on them.

since i'm no where near as good at describing how amazing he did as some of the other posters, i will try to give some random bits of info that i saw or heard.

one was that sean is there because he came out the stage door after the matinee. not that i could see him because both of us are short so i had to go with what others said.

another place you might want to use your binoculars is when he plays the guard and is laying on the floor when he is supposed to be dead. according to tiggy52winkle at the cb, some parts did not want to play dead. so sad my tickets are on the left side again, because he's on the right. another reason to invest in a pair of binoculars.

some of us got to see clay before the show this afternoon. we saw jerome first and then see clay, in his hoodie, walking behind. he looked so cute and said hi to us before he went in. they got there about an hour before the matinee. unfortunately, none of us were looking in the right direction, so we couldn't tell if he'd walked there or had been dropped off by a car.

jerome was very nice to everyone and before friday's show, he kept coming out the stage door looking for faye, brett, and clay's grandmother. they were probably held up by several clay fans and faye and her mom are so gracious, they probably had trouble getting away. i've never been in the same building with any of them and some times last night i was right next to them.

jerome had told us clay would probably come out after, and i think someone asked about the christmas concerts, and he said he was the one who wouldn't let clay do the handshake line. he said with all the germs and the cold, it wouldn't have been good. i told him that was fine because i never wanted to see clay like he was in long island again. it was funny because jerome had to ask what happened in long island and i had to remind him about the vertigo. then he thought it was in 2005 and i said that it was 2006, and he said he'd learned never to argue with the claymates because we remember it all.

i am so glad i was here for these shows, but selfishly, i am almost hoping there won't be as many claymates at future shows, and that clay continues to come out, because i so want to see him up close. although, i did make it within 3 rows of him after the matinee show so i am so excited about that. have never been that close and he is just so gorgeous.

Hoenstly, I am not going to believe in the great buzz yet. Our friends tell us what we want to hear a lot ofthe time or the buzz could be localized. I think Clay joining has been well publicized and it reaping it's rewards - that and the 3000 fans he takes everywhere he goes. When he leaves they will have to get their own 3000 fans to keep going to the play.

I think this is a fun thing for Clay to do, a learning experience and good on his resume, but I am not going to believe it will wipe out all naysayers because... those people have no reason to dislike Clay in the first place, hence they do not respong to logic. Ithink some people will have to reevaluate what they thought when the facts hit them in the face, but I don't think appearing in this play will make Clay "Kewl". I think it is more likely that nerds everwhere will stop following the lead of the cool kids and we will have more people who work in real jobs and have money to spend and will buy records and go to concerts - leaving the Kewl Kidds to their Kewl stuff.

I don't care about the the naysayers. I care about the millions of people who liked Clay and wonder what became of him. I care about the big wigs like Nichols giving Clay more work so to speak. I care about people who have no clue about him seeing him for the first time and recognizing his talent. I care about his career as an entertainer, not only as a singer. I guess I see a successful run in this Nichols/Idle show as a major step up and forward.

Two CH members, artquest & Barnett2, are posting live from the theatre tonight on their iPhones. A=artquest, B=Barnett2.

A: Annnnnnd we're back. Second row tonight, which is a little close. On the other hand, we'll be able to stare up his nose, straight into his brain, so it'll feel just like this summer's concert.

Nice size crowd, with tickets apparently hard to come by. Yay!

B: I am in my seat, iPhone in hand. The theater is packed. Lots of young adults, men and all levels filled. It looks to be sold out. We are sitting inrow E right on the aisle. You can feel the excitement and energy.

B: My husband is getting annoyed. It is 8:00 and people are still filing in.

A: Spot, who's sitting next to me, is chatting up the couple behind us. They aren't Python fans or Clay fans, we'll be interested to see what they have to say at Intermission.

Curtain going up!

A: So, Intermission. Next is Act Three, er Act Two. Hee.

Ficus keeps saying "He's so purdy." Ficadude is definitely a good sport.

I see something different with each performance. This afternoon, Galahad and the French guards were especially "on." Tonight it's Clay and The Lady of the Lake and the King. I'm sooooo looking forward to Act II.

B: Intermission. OMG what a great show!! Clay really fits into the cast. Perfect choice for Sir Robin. Every one around me is talking about how wonderful he is. Definitely not your usual Clay crowd. He is picking up lots of new admirers. Hannah, the Lady of the Lake is great! What a terrific voice. Clay's voice is so rich and I have to keep reminding myself that it is really him. He is totally transformed into this character. Clay is truly an actor of the highest caliber. He is amazing!

I can' t believe how crowded it is and how receptive the audience is. I am in heaven.

A: The graphics that are part of the design of the show are like a character all their own. Is beauzzart going to see this? I'd like her take on it. Right now we'reoooking at an image of a BIG rabbit and a banner that says Intermission. Soon they'll break up the rabbit, erase the Intermission and write in Act III. Not to mention the bouncing Grail marking the words to the closing song. So much thought went into the entire production, and it shows.

B: By the way, Clay is really handsome, and he stands out on the stage as the most magnetic even though he isn't trying to. He just IS. Back on.

From Southern Belle at CV; RIP Waldo (sorry Bookwhore);

Hey we're back from Clay's outstanding debut on Broadway. He exceeded all my expectations. Bowledover and I went to Friday night's show and then today's matinee. Was it ever difficult getting back on the bus to come back home instead of going again tonight. Yes, Waldo was definitely in fine form Friday night but either someone clued him in or he saw the pics because Waldo was conspicuously absent tonight. Well, it was great while it lasted. I'll post a recap tomorrow. I'm on such a high ...the shows were great...do what you have to do to get there. All the performers were terrific and I laughed so much. It is just the craziest, funniest, silliest thing but I'm wouldn't have missed it for the world. Hee, I was the one who the man in my row thought I was Clay's Mother because I knew all this stuff and he wanted to know if he could join the group. I checked the NY papers today and didn't see any critic reviews. I don't know what they will have to say but I know what I saw and heard last night and today and especially last night, it wasn't just us that gave him that standing ovation. They loved him. The man next to me said he had seen the same show very recently and he said there was no comparison between that show and last night's. He said the energy level was unbelievable with the performers doing superbly and being fed off the energy of the audience. He said it was nothing like that when he saw it previously.

think that's a crop of the one I posted early this morning. I didn't think those pictures were to be cropped?

Yikes! I just copied this pic from a post of dreamlarge on CH!

Does anybody know how to make a wma audio file into a mp3 so that I can load it on my iTunes? I'm confused. I went online to download free converstion software like MediaMonkey but then my Mac says there's no application to open that file (which is .exe) HUH?

Where's Scarlett? :cry4:

muski, iTunes should convert it automatically. Open iTunes and from the File menu click on Add File to Library, then browse and select the wma file from My Music or wherever you have it on your hard drive.

This is the very best Clay sickness I have ever suffered. There's a glorious pit in my stomach like falling in love with love. Those tears in his eyes are killing me. He was so proud of his fans, and thrilled to his core and it showed. He makes my head swim. I was watching some politics on TV today and suddenly realized that once again my mind had drifted off into Clay thought ... this is happening a lot ya'll and I'm perfectly happy with it. I love it. I'm thriving on it. He's a serious addiction and so so good for me. Watching that AI5 finale was my lucky day.

Yes, Waldo was definitely in fine form Friday night but either someone clued him in or he saw the pics because Waldo was conspicuously absent tonight. Well, it was great while it lasted.

Alas, poor Waldo, I loved him well.

yeah, well...I figured all it would take is one look at some of those pics from last night for Clay or Faye or Jerome or whoever the lucky beyotch is who's getting to handle the real thing to say, "Can you spell tightie whities, Clayton?"

:cry4:

But we'll always have Opening Night.....(cue Casablanca reprise)

Great recap from Solitaire30 at CH:

I just returned from NYC after seeing today's matinee showing of Spamalot.

I had a Mezzanine seat surrounded by NJUers and they were howling at Clay. My god. I have been fortunate to have seen Clay perform live many times, but honestly? I felt like this was IT. Kyrie and Elvis Medley and Good News and Sexy Back all rolled into one absolute performance. This is the most perfect THING for him. This part, this genre, this play, this city. Everything just worked. He frecking Blew.Me.Away. Lord, I want to hop on a bus and go back and see it again tomorrow.

I cannot express how much I hope you all can get to see this show. I know it is probably difficult what with jobs and budgets and pesky responsibilities like kids and family and mortgages. Pool your relatives/friends and ask them for a ticket for your birthday, mom's day, your anniversary...whatever. Just please, please treat yourself to this show. That guy in the banner up there? Superb. Amazing. Born to do this play. I feel like it was a weird culmination of five years in the making. Like this really was, The Night. He is a very good actor and didn't overact, even though the play was all about over acting. If that makes sense. His dancing was dang good. The singing? Sublime. And sweet fancy moses the lion's head of flowing locks and the dancing parts in pants o' white are worth every second of overtime I'll be putting in to pay for subsequent tickets.

ETA: I freaking love this picture!

245050813-X2.jpg

And this one is kinda nice too. :hubbahubba: I wonder if it's available without the tags?

Wenn5.jpg

Hee! Seems the Knights are going to have fun going through the Aiken repertoire of songs - from Artquest at CH about tonight's show:

Just a quick note: the Knights who say Ni sang I Will Always Looooove You, in exact style of one of Clay's sloooow, loud songs. Very funny.

I'm loving all these pictures! :clap:

I am loving every picture, recap, and video from last two days. I am living all of this through the great write ups of all of you.

He looked so adorable and cute after the show both last night and this afternoon.

I could not wait to get home today to view. I froze my ass of at ski patrol. It started at 12 degrees and went downhill. Wind chill was below 0. When i got home I first made coffee with baileys then hit the jacuzzi. Of course our jacuzzi is outside. I ran quickly to it. Afterwards I just have been vegging just looking at our great guy.

Post-whoring to say: All these reviews make me feel as though I'm there. I can almost hear the music and the people laughing and yelling and roaring. It's so wonderful.

This is a great day!!! :D

Yep, I can even HEAR it from where I am in Australia...

Nic

Apparently merrieeee was on the CH cellstream:

Family behind her, Dad was big Spamalot fans. At intermission, the mom said "what did you think of Clay Aiken?" and dad said "which one was Clay Aiken?"

Bunch of teen guys and they said he really blended in well and was very good.

Matinee stage door was 10 deep. Big grin on his face. His sweater was fine wool.

As he left he said "thank you, love you guys."

The cast treats him like one of their own.

No shout-outs tonight again. (Good).

Lot of NJU.

His solo is perfect, no mistakes. At the piano, he turns and the look on his face is "Look at me".

He has been out signing autographs for a long time tonight. (You can hear the screams.)

When the Knights that say Niii did Invisible, the crowd erupted.

Lots of young people there. 10 deep again. She's standing by a crowd of Pretty Young things 30-40 of them.

Merrieee believes the accents are coming in even smoother. Brother Maynard is just incredible.

"We're so proud of him."

He has taken an amazing step forward, there's people seeing him that had no idea that he is this talented and this good.

It's the "That's Clay Aiken?" moment.

Yes, Waldo was definitely in fine form Friday night but either someone clued him in or he saw the pics because Waldo was conspicuously absent tonight. Well, it was great while it lasted.

Alas, poor Waldo, I loved him well.

yeah, well...I figured all it would take is one look at some of those pics from last night for Clay or Faye or Jerome or whoever the lucky beyotch is who's getting to handle the real thing to say, "Can you spell tightie whities, Clayton?"

:cry4:

But we'll always have Opening Night.....(cue Casablanca reprise)

Damn damn damn!!! I just cannot catch a break, can I? I wonder who the selfish bastard was that told him to tie it down? I was so hoping that he would remain clueless until someone caved and got video clack and I could enjoy his....uh, 'charms' for myself.

Ah well, at least there were some still photos.

I was eeeeing when I read that his dancing today was much looser and relaxed. As high as the energy and excitement were last night, I'd really like to see this after he's been at it for awhile and wears the role like a second skin.

Matinee recap from laaraa.......

Just getting home from the matinee! What great fun! Clay was awesome! DH is a huge Monty Python fan, so he was looking forward to the show, and he was VERY impressed with Clay! His favorite part....the opening scene. He couldn't get over the fact that was Clay and he could pull off that whole comedic conversation.

Didn't stay for the stage door (I know, bad Clay fan) but DH was hungry! At the restaurant bar, waiting for our table, I overheard the people next to us discussing the show they just saw...SPAMALOT. They weren't Clay fans, and the "dad" kept raving about that Clay Aiken guy and how great he was. Ahh, did my heart good.

I'm amazed that the Invisible part this afternoon was new and ad libbed...I was pretty unspoilered for this, so I just thought that was one of the "new" parts they wrote in for him. The crowd completely erupted at that line, and Clay just stood there, completely stone faced. I don't know how he didn't crack up!!

Just awesome! BRAVO Clay! Now if I can only figure out a way to get back to NYC before May 4th!

CH:

Ficus got one autograph and one ruined leather jacket when someone's sharpie ended up all over it.

They still don't know the second line after "I'm the Idol of my age" because everyone laughs.

The white tux is still fabulous.

This afternoon at stage door, she felt like she was getting crushed. So many people trying to get autograph and picture. Definitely there for him.

When he comes out of the stagedoor, he just grins and grins.

He belongs on that stage. When he heads off stage, he keeps his character face going. You can see he has put a tremendous amount of work into it.

Lady of the Lake was very good. She and Clay did seem to be very "on". He is just comfortable now. There's a confidence there. He comes out at the curtain and stands so proud and tall.

At curtain call, the cast members are still looking at him. The King points at him. A comraderie is developing.

You know, maybe its because I am dead tired or maybe its because the joy of last night is just sinking in, but for me, last night was my personal ultimate Clay moment.

I was there for the Wilkes-Barre MOAM. I thought that moment, that feeling, for me would never be surpassed.

But last night, seeing Clay in something so completely different, something out of his comfort zone, seeing him grow (and I don't just mean in those white pants!) as an artist, witnessing him conquer another arena in the entertainment world, seeing the joy on his face, seeing his love and appreciation of "us" - his crazy enthusiastic fans who actually behaved themselves - it was a night I will never forget.

This show was sooooooooo hysterically funny and Clay was so good in it - but it was more than that.

I just haven't had that kind of Clay high in so long.

Sir Robin gave me my fangirly back - and it feels soooooo good! :rainbowsmile:

'Night all.

From those comments you brought over, luckiest, this one got me:

When he comes out of the stagedoor, he just grins and grins.

:flirtysmile3:

You know, maybe its because I am dead tired or maybe its because the joy of last night is just sinking in, but for me, last night was my personal ultimate Clay moment.

I was there for the Wilkes-Barre MOAM. I thought that moment, that feeling, for me would never be surpassed.

But last night, seeing Clay in something so completely different, something out of his comfort zone, seeing him grow (and I don't just mean in those white pants!) as an artist, witnessing him conquer another arena in the entertainment world, seeing the joy on his face, seeing his love and appreciation of "us" - his crazy enthusiastic fans who actually behaved themselves - it was a night I will never forget.

This show was sooooooooo hysterically funny and Clay was so good in it - but it was more than that.

I just haven't had that kind of Clay high in so long.

Sir Robin gave me my fangirly back - and it feels soooooo good! :rainbowsmile:

'Night all.

I'm THRILLED for you, CG! It's great that you have such a wonderful Clay experience in the midst of your rough spell. And it's fun to see you being fangirly again!

:ura: