#25: TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"
    • He is not perfect, he is just right!
    • But Clay turned it on, as he always does.
    • I?ve got my Clay Aiken boogie board. Bring it.

Montage on YouTube by yollie950 - Clay Aiken-Spamalot-Montage Opening Night - set to "This Is The Night".

Clay is the tortoise in this crazy media race that is stardom.

He certainly looks like the tortoise in this pic! :cryingwlaughter: Too freaking cute!

That does look like it could be Brett's parka, claytonic. :)

Clay looks like he's 12 in that picture with Jerome. Is he just the cutest! :wub:

I was surprised to see Jerome with him. Do you think he'll be there the whole 15 weeks?

:cryingwlaughter: This is the question I've seen asked just about everywhere I read. And so far no one has ventured an answer yet. I certainly expected Jerome there opening night because we knew it was going to be crazy, but I also wonder how long he's going to stay. Until the hysteria dies down? Which, among Clayfans, will be never. I'm also wondering how much it costs Clay to have a security guard? I know it's a weird question, but just wondering if Clay has to shell out bundles of money to keep his person safe from us craz enthusiastic fans. Because right here on this board there are plenty of 'body guards' that I'm sure could take care of him.

Someone was looking for the download links this morning, so I'll post them again. RVzlady has hosted the five part downloads:

Looks like the two part and one part downloads have expired. If anyone wants them, I will be uploading them again...but because of their...ahem...size...it will take a while to get the links back up. :)

I agree with those assessments of Clay's career...that he is building a base to stay in the industry a very long time. He's already met and impressed some pretty "big" people along the way, but the connections he's making now are powerful and linked to other powerful links which are linked to....In other words, he's making a good impression on people who can plug him in anywhere. I'm hopeful for great things to continue to "happen" to and for Clay Aiken. He's so much more than his voice.

"From Canada?"

Hee. I heard "From Kansas?" Best go watch it again. :blush:

Heh, I probably just heard what I wanted to hear.

Soo....do you suppose Jerome is staying in NY w/Clay the whole time? I guess I didn't expect that. I dunno why.

As much as I hope so, I doubt it.

Well, I am heading off the boards for most of today. It's been one intense but fun weekend! I hope he has two more great shows today, and that we get more awesome recaps from our own roving reporters!

It always concerns me when I hear about the trashing that appears to go on in the underbelly of the internet, just below the surface of my general awareness, that has to be based on fan jealousies. The whole thing is juvenile in the first place, soul damaging in the second, and a huge waste of valuable time in the third.

I guess the Idol experience itself has fostered a lot of contempt among people with overly competitive natures. The entire American Idol concept has been, IMO, to select a new idol every year and promote the hell out of them with free media appearances in televised parades, national anthem singing at major sporting events, Christmas tree lightings, Fourth of July celebrations, talk show appearances, and magazine articles and covers -- there's a pattern -- and to milk every dollar from the AI tour and record sales until the next idol is selected and it starts all over again. I believe the show has a built-in shelf life for these kids and if they exceed it good for them, but an ex-idol has to rely on his or her personal level of success, commitment, drive and energy, not to mention dedicated fanbase, to continue at the top levels of the business. I remember Clay making the comment early on in AI2 that it was like a Miss America contest. It really is, in that every year they pick a new one and the previous winner takes her last walk down the runway, waves bye-bye and returns to her real life. Rarely do they reach stardom on their own, but a few certainly have. The Idol stars get that big rush for a certain amount of time, and then it's up to them to fashion their own futures.

There are so many comparisons made, based on record sales and who's in "first place" ... and what is the best course of action for which particular career path and on and on. Each of these singers must find his or her own "grail" and follow it, and arguments can be made (by me, anyway) that Clay is in a league of his own, and not just regarding former idol winners and contestants. When I say he has the whole package, I mean it in every way ... including muski's! :hubbahubba:

YoullPutYourEyeOutKid_SpamOpeningNi.jpg

I LOVE THESE PICTURES!!!

ClayandJeromematineearrivial1-19-08.jpg

SeaofPeopleatStageDoor.jpg

79114308.jpg

OMG, HE'S SO CUTE!!!

OMG, I just watched farouche's Saturday matinee stage door video. Clay asks someone "where'd you come from?" and then says "From Canada?" with a look of surprise on his face. I wonder if that was our very own cindilu2 he was talking to?

I hope you're right...but knowing cindilu2's luck, which I believe is much like mine~nonexistent, I did see Zippy888 in that picture as well. And she leads a charmed life based on going to many, many, many occasions. In any case, I'm sure we'll hear.

eta...and WTH is Jerome carrying? A parka? It looks like a tent. :cryingwlaughter:

My exact thought! :cryingwlaughter:

Well, we're now booked for three shows on Easter weekend: Friday PM, Sat Mat, Sun PM and I already have the tickets in hand for two of them, airline tickets, and hotel reservations. Shuttle websites are bookmarked, as is the doubledecker tour bus site. We'd love to go see Jersey Boys, but that's looking like a catch-as-catch-can proposition as they are showing sold out for the entire weekend we're there.

I'm so excited!! :dancingpickle: My very first trip to the Big Apple.

I even found a beautiful shawl collared black velvet, embroidered jacket that I can wear with jeans or dress pants, in a store I would normally NEVER shop in. AND a beautiful red knitted ruffled shawl-thingy I could pop on for warmth if needed. I was looking for sheets! :lol:

Can hardly wait until March....in the meantime, keep those cards and letters comin'!! LOVE to hear the tiniest little thing in the way of recaps.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

There are so many comparisons made, based on record sales and who's in "first place" ... and what is the best course of action for which particular career path and on and on. Each of these singers must find his or her own "grail" and follow it, and arguments can be made (by me, anyway) that Clay is in a league of his own, and not just regarding former idol winners and contestants. When I say he has the whole package, I mean it in every

I know. God we really should understand that all of the idols are in the same boat with a lot of this stuff. Clay gets a lot of crap. And "we" give other idols crap. If you're not a fan of Fantasia, why in hell should you care what she's up to. Oh, because Clive gave her attention for a hot minute. But Clive will always move on to what he thinks will make him money. So now it's JHud. I know I used to be caught up in all the comparison stuff -- now I just don't care. I just care about what Clay is doing. Of course every idol that comes out of the gate will get a full run of promotion. Why does it hurt anew when some new idol gets something that Clay damn well got in 2003. I used to tell my brother in law who thought Clay was stealing Ruben's thunder that they are out in the real world. It doesn't matter who won, or how you placed because now you're competing with every artist out there not just idols. And it's true. Clay's career is up to him. And look, five years later he is still around and doing great. He's not Carrie Underwood but so damn what. She's talented and deserves her success and is working hard too. I agree that all the comparison articles spur a lot of this stuff. I still read the other idol threads at twop because they are fun but I try not to post in them unless I have something positive or neutral to say. OK OK i had one little zing over the past 2 years LOL. Anyway, I know that anything Clay does there will be folks who will spin it itno something ugly. I don't need to see it personally or know about it..they just live for that crap. So I really don't expect it to stop now. But there' sjust way too much goodness here. I think the fandom is pretty darn united over this for the first time in a long time. That turmps everything.

Ah more cute pictures. I love the one with jerome and Clay. I just really really trust Jerome to take care of Clay's safety. It will be interesting to see how long he's there with him. I know absolutely nothing about Jerome's situation (and don't want to know) but maybe he will just live in NYC until April. I would think it's just like being on tour with him in a way.

ETA: Jamar you are so right. The sports boards are damn nasty with regards to hating on teams that aren't yours. And I wouldn't go near a political site LOL.

It always concerns me when I hear about the trashing that appears to go on in the underbelly of the internet, just below the surface of my general awareness, that has to be based on fan jealousies.

Really. This goes on all over the place. It isn't Idol. It isn't Clay. Is isn't entertainment. It happens in the political arena and sports too. It's just part of what the internet is and always has been. I tend to think of it as just the graffiti on the restroom wall at the stops along the information superhighway. :shrug:

You know, back in the days following AI2 I had all kinds of evil thoughts about Nigel, 19 , FOX and anyone and everyone connected with American Idol. I thought they exploited these young kids in order to make a fast buck off of them, then hang them out to dry. But in the following years, after seeing that they pretty much do the same thing with all the cast members (and I do think they're more cast than contestants), I've changed my opinion. I think the purpose of AI is to provide these kids with a springboard, a chance, to make it in the entertainment industry (and to make a bunch of money off of them, no denying that). They give them the exposure, but what they do with it after finale night is up to them. Some of them have managed to parlay it into a career, some of them couldn't sustain interest on their own and have dropped from sight. What's wrong with that? I don't think AI should be responsible for maintaining their careers for them, for keeping the public interested in them.

Possibly some of the contestants have mistakenly thought that exposure on AI would be enough to catapult them into the business. Without their own drive, charisma, X-factor, whatever, they're going to sink no matter how talented they are.

Oh jeez....I forgot where I was going with this. :cryingwlaughter:

Um, I think it was Clay related, but now I'm not sure.....

Hey everybody!! I'm not caught up and I'm not going try for now :imgtongue: But nope, if somebody said 'From Canada' it wasn't me! He did speak to my friend Karen though - right beside me. When he first came out the door (from yesterday's matinee) and was searching the crowd for a Sharpie (he eschewed all offers of other pens *g*) he said "I don't believe all of you guy were at the show', and Karen said 'well WE were', and he looked right at her and said 'Really??' We squeeeeed! Heheh. Yeah, it doesn't take much to please us :lilredani: Well that, and a signed playbill!!

We came to NYC with tickets to Friday and Saturday night. By the time we leave we'll have seen it five times. The power of the Aiken. It really makes everything else insignificant, y'all!

We came to NYC with tickets to Friday and Saturday night. By the time we leave we'll have seen it five times.

BWAHHHHH!!!!! :lmaosmiley-1: For some reason that struck me really funny! I can totally see how it would happen, but I can't imagine trying to explain the additional cost to DH.

You know, back in the days following AI2 I had all kinds of evil thoughts about Nigel, 19 , FOX and anyone and everyone connected with American Idol. I thought they exploited these young kids in order to make a fast buck off of them, then hang them out to dry. But in the following years, after seeing that they pretty much do the same thing with all the cast members (and I do think they're more cast than contestants), I've changed my opinion. I think the purpose of AI is to provide these kids with a springboard, a chance, to make it in the entertainment industry (and to make a bunch of money off of them, no denying that). They give them the exposure, but what they do with it after finale night is up to them. Some of them have managed to parlay it into a career, some of them couldn't sustain interest on their own and have dropped from sight. What's wrong with that? I don't think AI should be responsible for maintaining their careers for them, for keeping the public interested in them.

Possibly some of the contestants have mistakenly thought that exposure on AI would be enough to catapult them into the business. Without their own drive, charisma, X-factor, whatever, they're going to sink no matter how talented they are.

Bookwhore took the words out of my mouth!

I can see what everyone here is saying today, regarding this issue. I too think Clay is building a career, one brick at a time. And yet, I do see Spamalot opening doors for him. I think there will be people who didn't even KNOW who Clay Aiken was who will now be interested in seeing and hearing more things from him; I think there will be producers who will now say "let's get that Clay Aiken kid and see if he's interested in doing our show/record/movie/television show." The key will be Clay himself -- his work ethic and what HE decides what is best for him. Even if the door is open for him, he's the one who's got to parlay that into something credible, believable, and enjoyable to HIM. And I think he will -- he seems like that kind of guy to me. He'll do it on his own terms...

....and in his own TIME. I think that's what I see in playbiller's original mention. This fandom, IMO, has never been patient. There are some that want the moon and the stars for him, and they want it RIGHT NOW. I want the moon and stars for him too, but I want him to do it at his own pace. That may take a while. A lasting career in show business is not a fast thing; as muski said, he's doing this the tortoise way. I like that.

Will the man make mistakes? Of course he will, he's human. But he'll make his choices in his time, and the fandom will be along for the ride.

SQUEEEEEEE! cindilu!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Ahh, YAY! for you cindilu! :clap:

Pics from IrishBookGal at CV - - -

Heading into the theatre for the matinee yesterday:

into_theatre_matinee_011908.jpg

Stagedoor after the matinee:

after_matinee_011908.jpg

after_matinee_011908_2.jpg

Stagedoor last night:

after_evening_011908.jpg

after_evening_011908_2.jpg

after_evening_011908_3.jpg

I would love for him to have a TV show that is a cross between Oprah and Charlotte Church. A singer herself, Charlotte did duets with her guests, comedy skits and interviews. Charlotte had a wicked sense of humour and was highly entertaining.

How interesting! I didn't know that Charlotte Church, another singer, had a TV show on in other parts of the world. My impression of her was that she grew up too fast. That is, despite her great voice, a slower career trajectory may have been a better move.

I agree that while Spamalot may not represent a seismic move in Clay's career, it is still an extremely astute move. A lot can be said for having your mug (in a good way) all over NYC. Just having a long gig in one of the top two entertainment places in the country and raising the general public awareness of whom Clay Aiken is and what his capabilities are, has to enhance Clay's rep. Broadway arguably reaches a different and perhaps older and more educated audience than the traditional popstar radio MTV demographic, and means a greater dissemination into pop culture. It's a another rung on the entertainment ladder.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more TV gigs besides The View. I'm would hope for an appearance on Mike and Juliet (I'm not a betting woman on Regis and Kelly, given the last encounter), GMA seems like a safe bet, and keeping fingers crossed for Letterman, Ferguson, and would love, love a Charlie Rose appearance!

I agree with every word! Clay's superior work ethic, superior talent and persistence in the face of adversity have all contributed to making him one of the standouts.

OMG this :hubbahubba:

Pics from IrishBookGal at CV - - -

after_matinee_011908.jpg

Hee...when you see the high-res version of it, you can see his right ear looks AWFUL...very badly bruised or something; in pix taken later, it's clear it's just leftover makeup. Our little boy forgot to wash his ears. :lol:

This may not be a popular view, but I wish fans would stop prying into Clay's business. Most of that report from Sardi's and the theater was fine but to talk third hand about how Clay actually did in rehearsal, seemed wrong somehow. It was an observation by someone who wasn't part of rehearsals. Clay already said the dancing was hard to learn and he was sore. The wording put a little different spin on it that may or may not have been accurate. Maybe he did well with everything else but did struggle with part of it, yet the report because it was 3rd or 4th hand by that point, implied that he struggled with the entire role. I can compare it to myself when I learn something new in software development. I may have 95% of what I need well in hand but the 5% that I have not used before, would take some studying and extra testing to make sure I new how it worked. If someone observed that part of my work, they might wonder how much I really knew. Clear and accurate communication is very difficult. I just believe there are times when we need to separate the 3rd-hand stuff and agenda-driven reports from the other things that are acceptable to share. Does this make sense to anyone else?

I don't mean it as a criticism but more of a discussion point from which to learn. That is another reason we need to continue to talk with each other so we can help each other look at things from a different perspective as to how they might appear to others, when our intent was completely different. Bring on those light-bulb moments so to speak.

oops got you guys mixed up, it was Couch Tomato (not KAndre) who noticed the collar stripes... lol but yeah there's been even MORE little and not so little details picked up since then! I continue to gulp in amazement.... I wonder if Clay knows how closely he is scrutinized. :5:

I think the close scrutinization caused things like Hockeygate and the less than happy Meet and greets - notice how everyone loves the smaller group meet and greets - more cotrollable, fewer people staring - even though fewer people can win them.

I know. God we really should understand that all of the idols are in the same boat with a lot of this stuff. Clay gets a lot of crap. And "we" give other idols crap. If you're not a fan of Fantasia, why in hell should you care what she's up to. Oh, because Clive gave her attention for a hot minute.

Well...but... I like to follow all the idols to a minor degree. I find how they handle sudden fame rather fascinating and sometimes I will find someone stating something that shows they realize that it is just television fame. For example - someone from season 4 who didn't make it talking about how you are recognized every where one day and surrounded by media and it is a heady experience and the next day it is all gone and you are on your own. or that Bo incident talking about not having a label and recording on his own needing deep pockets and he doesn't have deep pockets. I like toquote him onthis because you know all these people (Taylor, Kat) were not dropped, they all bought their way out of the contract. Where I can see Diana asking out (I can't see too many affording to buy their way out) and wanting out. Just don't tell their fans who think being independent is the be all of recording.

I don't think AI should be responsible for maintaining their careers for them, for keeping the public interested in them.

Well, it is Clay related in that he came from that show and moved on. I agree - I am often amazed at people who think that BMG should lose moeny because they owe these people a career - hey, you get one shot - go for it.

I agree that they get one shot or perchance two shots, if they work hard and take advantage of opportunities. Nothing is really handed to them. Once the opportunity is there, they have to bring it.

One thing I really hated though were the comments about Ruben being lazy. Ruben was very heavy and I am sure that had a hand in him not always feeling his best. When something happens, I wish people would be more understanding instead of making comments that imply something so negative when they have no first hand knowledge of the real truth.

This may not be a popular view, but I wish fans would stop prying into Clay's business. Most of that report from Sardi's and the theater was fine but to talk third hand about how Clay actually did in rehearsal, seemed wrong somehow. It was an observation by someone who wasn't part of rehearsals. Clay already said the dancing was hard to learn and he was sore. The wording put a little different spin on it that may or may not have been accurate. Maybe he did well with everything else but did struggle with part of it, yet the report because it was 3rd or 4th hand by that point, implied that he struggled with the entire role. I can compare it to myself when I learn something new in software development. I may have 95% of what I need well in hand but the 5% that I have not used before, would take some studying and extra testing to make sure I new how it worked. If someone observed that part of my work, they might wonder how much I really knew. Clear and accurate communication is very difficult. I just believe there are times when we need to separate the 3rd-hand stuff and agenda-driven reports from the other things that are acceptable to share. Does this make sense to anyone else?

I don't mean it as a criticism but more of a discussion point from which to learn. That is another reason we need to continue to talk with each other so we can help each other look at things from a different perspective as to how they might appear to others, when our intent was completely different. Bring on those light-bulb moments so to speak.

I guess I just don't see things the same way you do, but what is wrong with a report like that? So what if he struggled during rehearsal? The point was how impressed that same person who saw him struggle during rehearsal was when he saw him perform opening night. THAT is a HUGE positive! Anyone who would think Clay wouldn't struggle to learn a role like this in a very limited amount of time is delusional and personally I see nothing wrong with quoting an observation made by someone who saw his rehearsals. Bottom line was, the guy was impressed with the final product. That says A LOT.

When we start to censor what is said so that only completely 100% positive observations can be posted or discussed we turn into a police state, a little tyrant run fandom. I don't know about you, but I don't want that.

I LOVED the report from the guy who saw the rehearsals. It was my favorite part of that entire report. It showed how hard Clay worked and how much he learned and how great he was in the end. Please tell me where the negative was in that?

And how are 2nd and 3rd hand reports about Clay eating at Sardi's not prying into Clay's life but a report from someone who saw him in rehearsal is?? If the person's report was "he was great and flawless, even in rehearsal!" would you have the same reaction? Somehow I don't think so.

This may not be a popular view, but I wish fans would stop prying into Clay's business.

I'm glad you brought that up. The original reporter has made a point for 4 1/2 years now of befriending and having conversations with anyone who might have any link to Clay, and of gaining access to Clay or anyone remotely connected to him in any way possible. She loves to bring "scoops" to the boards (but loves to get close to Clay even more). I totally agree with you that these third hand reports are problematic, and indicate more prying than I am comfortable with, and I wish people on the boards would not reward her for it.

ETA: Claygasm, I hear you, but I disagree. My reaction is based on my knowledge of this person, who is in my opinion a bit too stalkerish for my tastes, and I think prying into his life in this way is very squicky. It has nothing to do with the specific content of this particular report. Her (public) reports are innocuous, but the fact that she's making a point of gathering them isn't, IMO.

I don't mind reports of things repeated in casual conversation with someone, by someone who doesn't make a habit of these casual conversations. It's the people who are always up into his business that bug me. The reception they get on the boards is nothing compared to the reception they get in private--but now we're getting into "insider" territory.

This may not be a popular view, but I wish fans would stop prying into Clay's business.

I'm glad you brought that up. The original reporter has made a point for 4 1/2 years now of befriending and having conversations with anyone who might have any link to Clay, and of gaining access to Clay or anyone remotely connected to him in any way possible. She loves to bring "scoops" to the boards (but loves to get close to Clay even more). I totally agree with you that these third hand reports are problematic, and indicate more prying than I am comfortable with, and I wish people on the boards would not reward her for it.

ETA: Claygasm, I hear you, but I disagree. My reaction is based on my knowledge of this person, who is in my opinion a bit too stalkerish for my tastes, and I think prying into his life in this way is very squicky. It has nothing to do with the specific content of this particular report. Her (public) reports are innocuous, but the fact that she's making a point of gathering them isn't, IMO.

I don't mind reports of things repeated in casual conversation with someone, by someone who doesn't make a habit of these casual conversations. It's the people who are always up into his business that bug me. The reception they get on the boards is nothing compared to the reception they get in private--but now we're getting into "insider" territory.

I agree. Her reports always make me feel icky...like the info. was gotten with tricks or manipulations.

And how are 2nd and 3rd hand reports about Clay eating at Sardi's not prying into Clay's life but a report from someone who saw him in rehearsal is?? If the person's report was "he was great and flawless, even in rehearsal!" would you have the same reaction? Somehow I don't think so.
Actually I had no problem with the Sardi report. To say that Clay was "struggling" in rehearsals, was the only part I objected to. Unless filming is permitted, it is only the final product that is presented to the public. In my business, there are times when we struggle during testing. My company would be livid with people who spread rumors about the status of an unfinished product. It is no one else's business until we are ready to put out the product. This is true about an entertainer as well. What goes on behind the scenes in preparing is up to those who own the show or the actors themselves to talk about and no one else's responsibility.

My reaction to "great and flawless" would have been skepticism.

ETA: If she goes around questioning people all the time about Clay then I stand even more firmly behind my comments. That is downright icky.