#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

OK, from a blog on the OC registery

Semi-random notes on recent art news

Clay charms his critics

February 4th, 2008 · Post a Comment · posted by phodgins

aiken21.jpg

So how did Clay Aiken fare in “Spamalot”? He stepped into the role of brave Sir Robin on Jan. 18, and I could just imagine the critics rubbing their ratty little paws together in glee. Aiken, with his goofy, self-deprecating persona and Eisenhower-era morals, seemed like easy prey for the snarky New York arts media.

But — surprise! — some of the comments have been quite positive, if a little strange. Check out Ariel Levy’s lengthy, backhandedly complimentary piece in New York magazine here.

Whatever you think of Aiken as a performer, you gotta love his devotion to his audience. That’s him last month, above, braving 19-degree weather to mingle with his ”Spamalot” fans. Would Liev Schreiber or Frank Langella stand out in the cold just to mix and mingle with the hoi polloi? Not when it’s cold enough to freeze the ink in autograph-seekers’ pens.

Is this like a blog where fans can post articles? - nevermind here is the writers info

Paul Hodgins has been working for the Orange County Register since 1993.

He moved from the hinterlands of Canada to Orange County with his pet pterodactyl way back in 1985 to teach at UC Irvine and finish his doctoral degree in music at USC, the University of Spoiled Children. Hodgins lived for a time in a cave and survived on fallen oranges, but soon decided life was better in Huntington Beach. He now resides within a beer bottle’s throw of the pier.

Besides his ridiculously demanding Register duties, he also writes occasionally for Variety and American Theatre magazine, and teaches journalism students the black arts of entertainment reporting at Cal State Fullerton.

Thanks everyone for all your perspectives.

JJ I think you and I are very much alike in are approach to messageboards...I am a pretty blunt person and say what I feel and sometimes that is not always appreciated and I really hate when my posts are interpretated to mean something entirely different than what I intended and then I get green-inked or reprimanded for it. Doesn't sit well at all with me. I like this board because I don't have to sit here for 10 minutes trying to word my posts so it fits into guidelines and doesn't offend. But still, I am much more a lurker than a poster.

Kim

Well, I've yet to see anyone get 'green inked' here (other than one obvious troll). To me, that means edited. Much different than a friendly admin note or even a sharp stiletto once in a while. ;)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I got my pins today! They are so pretty! Thanks couchie and cindilu2 and anyone else who had a hand in them!

Since I live in OC and that used to be my paper of choice (I don't read a paper paper anymore), I made a comment. I asked him to tell me what was wrong with Eisenhower morals? LOL Also told him I like his blog and his bio without sounding like a Clay fan at all.

Since it's another quiet evening on the boards, I was removing some files off of my desktop. Whenever I do this, I start clicking on files and watching or listening to them, that always makes it a little difficult to remove them. I came accross "The Standard Interview" that he did when he was in Vancouver for JNT05. I just love that interview. Needless to say that one didn't come off of my desktop

Ok, maybe there needs to be a new board rule. The eHP should not all be allowed to go off partying together on any given evening, look how quiet it is in here. Add to that that Muski is with them and it's like a ghost town.

ETA

Uh oh, I see a couple of them might be back. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Right now, it is just us.

Maybe I should write a pretend review of Spamalot tonight, hee.

Naw, I will go back to cleaning my closet. For a house with one person itn it, my closets are all full.

Play, I think I'd take your pretend review..

I think I'll just go to bed, maybe I'll get up a little earlier and try to get a few things done.

Since my one and only picture with Clay has him looking just charming and me looking as though someone just poked me in the ass with a cattle prod...I rest my case.

As for the eyelliner. WTF?? The guy runs back stage, wipes his face, takes off his wig, jumps out of his costume, throws on his clothes (he could skip this part to save time), and runs out the stage door,.

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: It's great to come home after a "difficult" work day to see such funny comments! My kids came into the study to see why Mum was in here laughing by herself!

I haven't been around here today and just got caught up. I want to clarify something I posted last night. I know the conversation has moved on from this but I do want to be clear.

Just curious cos y'all know I don't go around too much on the other boards....but is the eyeliner really an issue?

as far as i can see on this board we have some people that said they prefer him without the eyeliner...to me thats not an issue...thats just a preference. But are there fans questioning his use of it?or wondering why he is using it? or saying he should use it?

Thanks Ansa! I have absolutely no problem with Clay coming out in his stage make up. I have no problem with Clay changing his hair color or style. I just don't like the particular picture that is on the banner at CH and I think I would like it much more if he were not wearing make up. I like men without make-up. Just my preference. I usually like how Clay looks anytime. You will seldom see me comment on how he looks because I am easy when it comes to Clay. That picture is just not to my liking at all.

sorry to interrupt the eyeliner talk..but I didn't think he stopped after a performance to put some on before running out to greet the fans.

:cryingwlaughter::clap:

( I tried to put this in my last post but it wouldn't add in. Is there a limit to how many quotes you can put in or is it just my technologically-challenged self?)

Good Morning Everyone,

90 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

92-99 Days until The New CD!

Hugs and prayers to those who need them!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

luckiest, I agree that the WRAL interview is great! IMO, I can feel the passion he has for the subject. I also think it helps that IMO he looks GOOD in that interview too. The Harry Potter glasses give him such a professorial look, and I like that. I'd go to his class EVERY session. *g*

ausdon, there IS a limit in quotes, but it's quite a large number. If I can remember, I'll PM you later today and I can help give a basic tutorial.

Off to go vote!

A while back I was discussing LTS with some people and I posted something and got a PM right away asking what e-mail group I belionged to - ?? I wrote back and asked what the heck she was talking about, she said that she belonged to one where they would get an e-mail if someone posted an opposing view and they would all be expectexd to respond how that person was wrong - I told her that my opinion was my opinion and that is all there was to that. She did not reply, but it opened my eyes to the backwater channels that fueled pile ups. WHo knew? it is just interesting that the person who accused me of doing something she was doing. hence my open eyed realization that some pile ons do not happen by accident.
The things I continue to learn about this fandom boggle the mind. I had not heard this before. I didn't know about all the back channel PMs at the time of ATDW either. The unrest was obvious and people were really touchy about conspiracy theories and all that but I did not have a clue.

This is new to me too....wow..the things you learn lol......

Since it's another quiet evening on the boards, I was removing some files off of my desktop.

(my bolding).... :cryingwlaughter: I originally read this as "flies" off my desktop and thought WOW...you really must be bored!....and the same kind of housekeeper I am! :cryingwlaughter:

Glad to see I'm really still alone in that.

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh! I got my pins tonight too! Thanks, Canada border crossing guard! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I thought maybe you were keeping them for yourself!

...and I would understand that! They are wonderful!! Prettiest pins I've ever seen, I especially love the FCA/green one.

Thanks cindilu2 and couchie!

PS...no postage due, couchie.

I've been reading at another board a bit, so now I have to go wash the gooey, sweet sticky stuff off myself...ewww.....la-tah!!

re the eyeliner talk....

I believe someone ask how it got started. I think.......... (I very seldom go to OFC) it got started at the OFC..... some gals talking about how much they loved it. I have to assume it took off from there.... from wearing it on stage to wishing he would wear it all the time.

Y'all, last night was so much fun. If you have any way to meet up with Clay fans in your area, I highly recommend it. Not only do we always have a great time together talking about Clay and just about everything else, but these women have become very dear to me, personally. So gratifying to be with intelligent people who listen and tell their stories in turn and give advice and acceptance and chatter and laugh and who understand the Clay love. I had a blast. Thanks, friends. It was great to see everybody, particularly Muski, the out-of-towner, and Karen Eh?, who I feel I'm about to lose forever (I know that's not true, but it feels like it)...okay, well, I guess saying "particularly" is just silly, because I was happy to see everyone...keeping faith, Scarlett, the noble and all powerful KAndre, merrieeee (who is an excellent driver), and new kid on the block, desertrose, who will go with you all the way to Australia if you ask nicely...

Anyway, good morning, all. It's a great day to appreciate that guy up there in the banner and to just be alive on the planet. I've got New York on my mind! In a few hours, Clay will be donning his costume once again. Makes me giddy, thinking about it. smilenrock.gif

Its Tuesday...time for our banner change!!!

Our new banner is courtesy of the party animal 00lsee :F_05BL17blowkiss:

thanks for the party report...I am so jealous...I;m sure y'all had a great time....

Thanks for the banner...it is mesmerizing!!!

Dragging over from Rainlover of the CH last night:

Don't think this has been posted yet - Article from 2/21/07 on Terrence Mann.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/02...t_broadway.html

Mann's career has given him the insight to know that even Broadway has its share of people who are fully committed while others really ought to find another job. You never know who might show up in a production - some with amazing abilities or others just along for the ride.

While directing a production of "1776" about 16 years ago, Mann found himself frustrated trying to position an actor on stage who didn't seem to be interested in his role. The actor turned out to be none other than American Idol sensation Clay Aiken.

Not all of acting comes down to talent, Mann readily admits.

"Sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good," Mann said.

As someone said, that might just be why Clay doesn't mention this a lot. It seems to me that Clay is one of those people you either love to deal with (he's a charming bastard) or you can't stand (the charm doesn't work on you)