#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

Regarding the Terrance Mann quote, I'm not too bothered by it. I'm sure there's been a time or two in Mann's career that he was "lucky". By Clay's admission, he was given an opportunity for a role that was for a somewhat older actor, he probably wasn't ready for the discipline it required, he obviously didn't learn enough from the experience to know what upstage and downstage were :cryingwlaughter:

Also, about that statement, someone at the CH pointed out that Mann said it was about 16 years ago, and that it would have made Clay a little more than 12 based on when this interview was done. So, there you go.

While directing a production of "1776" about 16 years ago, Mann found himself frustrated trying to position an actor on stage who didn't seem to be interested in his role. The actor turned out to be none other than American Idol sensation Clay Aiken.

Here is my problem with quotes, we have seen time and time again how they are taken out of context and twisted. It is not even a direct quote. SO.... I am going to think that the guy remembered Clay, but I don't really know what he remembered, only what the wriuter wanted me to think. This is all part of my truth in quoting campaign.

Notacanuck posted the link to a yahoo copy of the WRAL video, I like to search on my own, so I searched for Clay and found the video of the AP story. DId we see them before and I was sleeping or something? link

I'm not bothered by what that guy said. It's an old quote anyway right? And whether it's true or not - it doesn't really matter at this point. I can so see Clay bored by the technical aspects of being a shrub. I saw on TWoP that people were making a big deal over the fact that he said he didn't know upstage from downstage..acted like he was lying to downplay his experience. Well IMO big parts in high school plays and a small part here or there in a regional production 10 years ago doesn't make him experienced. It's weird that that was the only focus to be found in that marvelous AP article.

IMO Clay is not a name dropper anyway. Why would he walk around dropping Terrence Mann. Who is Terrance Mann. I know people would love Clay to talk more about his "experience" but really he doesn't have much experience in this arena.

And I suddenly got a flash of Justin Guarini on Oprah dropping Q's name. It's just not attractive...on anybody.

Hee...CG...you will have to batt your lashes at 00lsee for a wallpaper...I agree that is totally GAAAAHH

Oh this whole thing with Terrence Mann is so amusing. When it first came out that Clay worked with him some fans were wondering why he never mentioned it before...I guess its because we was a very young bit player that probably got shouted at a few times.

I really have no problem with that article about Terrence. As Play reminded us... its possible that he mentioned Clay as someone he worked with before. Couldn;t even remember how many years...cos I think Clay said he was 17 and the rest is creative editing. Even if the quotes were accurate...he said this before Clay started on Spamalot...people grow up and this is not a reflection of how he is now.

BUT what was making me shake my head was fans saying Clay should be mentioning all these theater background and not say that he is inexperienced. I totally disagree with that. These are really bit parts in high school local theater...its not like he was seriously working on being on stage...so he knows that would be just artificially puffing up his resume. He proves himself with what he can do now...no need to try and get cred by mentioning he was apple seller in Annie..

Didn't he play a leather painter or something? Hee, someone with an LTS handy will correct me, I'm sure. Anyways, I agree, Clay is not a name dropper. I don't have a problem with that. But Terence Mann can still bite me. *g*

Dragging over from Rainlover of the CH last night:

Don't think this has been posted yet - Article from 2/21/07 on Terrence Mann.

<snip>

As someone said, that might just be why Clay doesn't mention this a lot.

Or maybe because he knows the enthusiastic people would jump on it. I think the article could have just been edited in a misleading way. If Clay hadn't been treated well at that production we probably would have heard about it by now from Mr. "My-high-school-teacher-cut-me-from-our-musical".

Terrence Mann isn't my over-all-favorite but I think he's very talented. His "Stars" is my 2nd favorite version. I wonder if Jerome sings and what he would sound like with...

"There out in the darkness, a camera flashes,

white-hot and searing, burning Clay's eyes...

<snip>

Lord let me find him that I may see him safe behind bars.

I will never rest 'til then. This I swear by the stars."

Speaking of eyes... 00lsee, thanks for the pretties!

And hi to everyone at dinner last night who didn't mind that I was still wearing the same sweater that I had on when he signed my poster Sunday night (sorry, came straight from work/flight-out-of-NYC)

IMO Clay is not a name dropper anyway. Why would he walk around dropping Terrence Mann. Who is Terrance Mann. I know people would love Clay to talk more about his "experience" but really he doesn't have much experience in this arena.

Who is Terrance Mann? I agree Couchie. When I heard folks oohing and ahhing over Terrance Mann, and the fact that Clay had "worked" with him. I thought who is this guy. Then I thought, oh I think I might have seen him in a Kenley Players production years ago, so I go and look up all of the Kenley players shows and no, it wasn't there. I guess it was Terrance Monk I remembered seeing in one of those. I guess he is a fairly well respected stage actor and it seems he's had guest TV roles on some of the soaps and primetime tv shows. Fact is, the name Clay Aiken is a lot more recognizable name than Terrance Mann, and I think that is a result of some luck, a lot of talent and some hard work.

Who is Terrance Mann? I agree Couchie. When I heard folks oohing and ahhing over Terrance Mann, and the fact that Clay had "worked" with him. I thought who is this guy. Then I thought, oh I think I might have seen him in a Kenley Players production years ago, so I go and look up all of the Kenley players shows and no, it wasn't there. I guess it was Terrance Monk I remembered seeing in one of those. I guess he is a fairly well respected stage actor and it seems he's had guest TV roles on some of the soaps and primetime tv shows. Fact is, the name Clay Aiken is a lot more recognizable name than Terrance Mann, and I think that is a result of some luck, a lot of talent and some hard work.

WORD atinal. I had to google him too and as soon as I saw a picture I knew I saw him before. I guess he did a bit of soap opera work too...but he originated a lot of popular Broadway roles like Javert on Le Miz, Rum Tum Tugger in Cats, Beast in Beauty and the Beast. I'm sure in the theater world he is very well respected and well known. I suspect he mentioned Clay in passing as someone he worked with and the writer made sure he used that name on his article for hits.

Terrence Mann has been in movies, on television, and on Broadway. He's been in the business at least forty years. JMO, he is the driving force behind the success of the North Carolina Theatre Company. He was the Artistic Director for 14 years, as well as directing many musicals there. He has also been the artistic director of the Lost Colony for many years, an outdoor drama down in Manteo, NC. He wasn't born in NC, but he went to the School of the Arts here, and he has put a ton of energy into developing theatre in this state.

For all his work as an actor, he's never been a "star" like Clay is a star. There are hundreds if not thousands of people out there like Terry who have worked in the business all their lives, who have stuck with it through struggle and hardship, who have managed to make a living at it, who have had some measure of success, but have never become "stars".

Now I would love it if he gave Clay Aiken a tongue bath; I would love it if every person on the planet loved Clay Aiken like I do. Clay didn't impress him, apparently, in 1776. That's fine--I believe he's being honest. I don't think it was easy for someone as talented as Clay to do his best in a bit part, knowing what he was capable of if given a chance. Clay has a short attention span, he's admitted it, Clay has indicated in interviews that he has a short attention span, so I believe that Mann's memory is correct. His interpretation, if it is his, I don't share, but then I'm all about Clay. I have no idea whether Terry provided the cutting element to that article, or whether the reporter arranged the quotes to make it so. If he did, that's too bad, but I can understand the sentiment behind it even if I do not share it.

What some find difficult to accept is that Clay has, not only talent, but something extra--charisma, the Q factor, whatever, that has made him the most "famous" of famous people from NC, that has opened doors and provided shortcuts for him that many, many other working actors and singers have not had. He has that certain something that only a few have--something that I think was sparked on American Idol, perhaps by the television cameras, something I don't think was evident in his earlier years, and face it, still isn't evident to a lot of people. It can't be taught, or learned, it just is.

Regardless, I think over time some people who misjudge Clay (including Terry, if he is one of them) will have the opportunity to meet him or hear about his work ethic from their friends in the business, and they will learn that he is extremely hard-working and devoted to developing his talents--qualities that will be appreciated by others who share the same qualities.

As for Clay being lucky, I think Clay'd be the first to agree. Clay was lucky, but he has also worked hard to be where he is today, and I believe he will keep on working hard at his career for many years to come. It's that hard work that will bring him acceptance and the respect of his peers, not the adoration of his fans, not his charisma or his luck. I have no doubt that it will come, but I also know there will never be a day when everyone adores him like I do.

Interesting (to me) tidbit, from the NC Theatre Co history page. I didn't see this show, but I did see Sharon Lawrence a few times at the Raleigh Little Theatre before she "made it big."

The first musical production, Camelot, opened in May of 1984. NC School of the Arts graduate Terrence Mann whose Broadway credits now include Javert in Les Miserables, The Beast in Beauty and the Beast, Chauvelin in Scarlet Pimpernel and Rum Tum Tugger in Cats, played “King Arthur” and a UNC student, Sharon Lawrence, whose credits most recently include Sylvia Stipowitz on NYPD Blue, Velma Kelly in Chicago and many other roles on TV, Stage and Film; played “Guenivere”. The successful formula of producing top quality musicals with top national performers and local talent was inaugurated. Opening with 825 season tickets sold and a total audience of 24,000, Camelot marked the beginning of the Regional Theatre’s new direction and the name was changed to the North Carolina Theatre.

So help me out here....if I sit with my back against the fire exit door, lower the brightness on my monitor to the level just before blackout, move the page over enough to hide most of the emoticons on the left without revealing enough of the stage door picture of Clay on my screen background and keep a vigilant eye on anyone who just MIGHT sit close enough to see what I'm really doing....

Do you think I could just stay online at FCA and chat with y'all instead of preparing for the next conference session on strategic meetings management?

(I'd put in a couple of relevant emoticons in those paragraphs if I didn't have to move the page over to find the right one and risk someone recognizing that hAWT man on my screen....heh.)

I really could make a life out of just going from city to city and having dinners with the local fans of that guy, by the way. Fun shit, that. Thanks to all the eHP for making time for a get together on a MONDAY night! I LURVE you guys....

Let's see...where will my job take me next and who from my online circle of friends and not-yet acquaintances can I meet for another pah-teh? Oh, yeah....MEMPHIS in April. Anybody around here from around there?

KarenEh rocks, y'all. WHen she volunteered to put me up for hte night and then take me back to town this morning, I had no idea she lived near Kim Caldwell, for God's sake! THe traffic was awful and she had to get up really, really early in order to get me here on time and then drive all the way back home! :F_05BL17blowkiss: (heh...I could add that emoticon cuz it was juuuuuust visible on the side of my screen.)

BTW, why is it that the most valuable session I could attend is in the last time slot and therefore not available to me since I have to leave early in order to catch my plane? Huh?

Later, peeps!

heh, I get to disagree with JMH

Terrence Mann has been in movies, on television, and on Broadway. <yadda yadda yadda>

Clay didn't impress him, apparently, in 1776. That's fine--I believe he's being honest. I don't think it was easy for someone as talented as Clay to do his best in a bit part, knowing what he was capable of if given a chance. Clay has a short attention span, he's admitted it, so I believe that Mann's memory is correct.

While I agree that Clay is lucky and I think everyone has to admit it since we all have that randomness in our lives and have lucky times and unlucky times, I don't know as I would agree that at 17 Clay had a short attention span. I don't really know and even if Clay said it, he might have meant it as a short hand description of something else.

I guess to be consistant we have to decide if we are going to believe what we read or not. I generally react immediately with a belief or not and over time reconsider information. There are so many quick comments that become lore, I am hesitant to accept much of anything. I have said things about myself that were not true, but simplify the situation because the reality is more difficult to explain. Like this weekend I told someone I didn't recognize them because I have poor eyesight. I don't have poor eyesight, but have a condition where I can't remember faces, never had it medically or pschologically examined so I can't explain it with medical certainty, I just don't remember most people, that I why I try to remember what someone I was with was wearing, so I can find them in a crowd if I lose them. This extends to everyone, including friends and family. It is too unexamined and complex to explain in a few seconds, so I just tell people I have trouble seeing, but I have 20/25 vision - so, it is actually better than pretty much everyone else I know.

I expect many times Clay knows that the reporter is not going to care in depth about him, so he tries and simplifies comments, and so do most people. His saying he has a short attention span could mean any of sevral different things, but he doestha the ability to study and learn complex things and has been seen sitting still for long periods of time. That is why I just hate basing any suppositions about Clay on stuff he said or things others have said. Besides unchangable things like eye color and height, pretty much everything else is up to interpretation.

If I were to try and get facts out of that article, I would get the following

1. TM and clay worked together with TM being the boss

2. Tm remembers Clay from several years before, perhaps not happily

Dragging over from Rainlover of the CH last night:

Don't think this has been posted yet - Article from 2/21/07 on Terrence Mann.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/02...t_broadway.html

Mann's career has given him the insight to know that even Broadway has its share of people who are fully committed while others really ought to find another job. You never know who might show up in a production - some with amazing abilities or others just along for the ride.

While directing a production of "1776" about 16 years ago, Mann found himself frustrated trying to position an actor on stage who didn't seem to be interested in his role. The actor turned out to be none other than American Idol sensation Clay Aiken.

Not all of acting comes down to talent, Mann readily admits.

"Sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good," Mann said.

As someone said, that might just be why Clay doesn't mention this a lot. It seems to me that Clay is one of those people you either love to deal with (he's a charming bastard) or you can't stand (the charm doesn't work on you)

Someone upthread commented that perhaps Clay doesn't mention this stint because he wasn't treated well. I was thinking perhaps he doesn't mention it because it wasn't one of his 'finer moments' and maybe he regrets that? Thank God we aren't all judged on how we acted when we were 17, or what our 17-year-old work ethic was or anything else we did when we were 17. If we were, I'd have no career, no friends and my family would have abandoned me. Although it's really difficult for me to imagine Clay Aiken taking a role and not putting his all into it, giving 100%, I realize I'm thinking of 29-year-old Clay Aiken, not Clay Aiken the (most likely) difficult teenager. I also find it amazing that Terrance Mann remembers the name of a young bit-actor from 16 years ago. Clay must have made a big impression on him, good or bad.

Also, about that statement, someone at the CH pointed out that Mann said it was about 16 years ago, and that it would have made Clay a little more than 12 based on when this interview was done. So, there you go.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. I noticed the discrepancy, but don't give it much credence because my own memory is so awful. 16 years ago...5 years ago...12 years ago...it's all the same to me. I can't tell you how long ago I bough my house if I don't look it up, or how long I've been at my present job. If I wasn't giving birth of saying "I do", the time lines all blur together.

Muski, if you ever come to Kansas City, let me know. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And I suddenly got a flash of Justin Guarini on Oprah dropping Q's name. It's just not attractive...on anybody.

Huh? Who's Q?

I tend to edge more toward jmh's view, simply because:

1) I had a 17 year boy once. You could not pay me enough to deal with them on a regular basis (High school teachers, I salute you!) Mine was lucky he was cute, otherwise I woulda killed him. And I'll lay you odds Clay was not immune to a teenage attitude. Too many teachers and Faye and Clay have remarked upon it.

2) For some reason, when Terrence said, "“Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than to be good,” I associated it with the acting line above, and while Clay has a knock-you-over-the-head talent for singing, I think he's a good actor. Not superlative, not great, but good and him getting the part in "1776" probably did have an huge element of luck to it. Because I bet there was some incredible GREAT local actor who could not believe this kid (who they should not have even let in the door since he wasn't even the age they wanted) got his part. Now if the article was about singing, I'd be making all kind of rude hand gestures at the dude. But honestly? Tom Deckman shows the comedic talent in acting that Clay shows in singing - Clay ain't quite there. But he's working on it. Clay is a great overall entertainer - but his singing for me is what brings his entertainment value to totally awesome. Superlative, incredible singer; great, for an amateur, comedic timing (he is not Steve Martin or Richard Pryor or Will Ferrell or Jerry Lewis. But he's pretty darn good); good, solid acting; workmanlike dancing (and yes, I know Scarlett and others insist that he's gotten better - but it's better at the same dance routine he's doing 7 times a week - he is definitely not a Timberlake or Michael Jackson or Gregory Hines or even one of the everyday hoofers on Broadway. Y'all know the boy could not have made the Soul Train line. He's not going to be cast in the next You got Served or Nutcracker either.) It does say something to me that Terrence remembered anything about a kid who had a bit part in a production from more than a decade ago.

Personally, I believe Clay has downplayed his prior stage experience because, 1) high school and local community theater really is completely different than Broadway, and 2) it suits him to appear modest and self-deprecating. I suspect that to some extent, it's part of his self-defense mechanism. Position yourself as a newbie, and any faults can be chalked up to inexperience. Declare yourself a stage veteran, and you may be held to a higher standard.

Quite frankly, if he'd gone into interviews saying, "Well, I've performed in high school and community theater, so I know how this is done," people might have laughed at his arrogance. Broadway is far, far beyond where he was as a teenager. No doubt, his prior experience has helped him. However, I don't think that bringing up those early roles really gives him that much more credibility.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I actually love his modesty. I know others would prefer that he promote his accomplishments more forcefully, but I find his self-effacement charming and not at all detrimental to his image or career.

As for Terrence Mann, I guess I'm not really that concerned about a comment he made a year ago about something that happened over a decade ago. Only fans would dig this up for examination and extrapolation. I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed. I just don't find it particularly relevant to Clay's current situation. JMHO.

I don't know Play but from some of Clay's behavior I really wouldn't be surprised if he does have a short attention span. A lot of his problems in school ...talking and clowning around ...are classic behavior of kids with ADD.There are a lot of people with short attention span that has learned to cope with this and are able to do well in school and focus. So I wouldn't automatically think that Clay is not perfectly serious when he said this.

What was clear from Clay;s blog was that he was the youngest in the cast...he was only 17 when everyone else was over 21. It was a risk that Terrence took choosing him...Clay was grateful, but Terrence was probably a little sorry at the time...thats ok it happens.

17 year olds!!! I considered sending my daughter to some desert island when she was 17.

The brain's not fully developed at 17.

No adult should be held accountable for his behavior at 17.

Personally, I believe Clay has downplayed his prior stage experience because, 1) high school and local community theater really is completely different than Broadway, and 2) it suits him to appear modest and self-deprecating. I suspect that to some extent, it's part of his self-defense mechanism. Position yourself as a newbie, and any faults can be chalked up to inexperience. Declare yourself a stage veteran, and you may be held to a higher standard.

Quite frankly, if he'd gone into interviews saying, "Well, I've performed in high school and community theater, so I know how this is done," people might have laughed at his arrogance. Broadway is far, far beyond where he was as a teenager. No doubt, his prior experience has helped him. However, I don't think that bringing up those early roles really gives him that much more credibility.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I actually love his modesty. I know others would prefer that he promote his accomplishments more forcefully, but I find his self-effacement charming and not at all detrimental to his image or career.

Nope you are not alone...I love him for it. I don;t know why some fans want him to be tooting his own horn...I can;t stand braggarts and name droppers... so why should he try to be one. I think this is part of why I am a Clay fan.

I also think clay is just being realistic. He really doesn't have that extensive body of work to brag about anyway. So why pretend...just be proud and grateful for being where he is and continue to work at his craft and get respect for his current accomplishments.

I don't think I would say that clowning around is a sign of a short attention span, there are plenty of other reasons for behavior like that and I would ablsolutely not try and diagnose him as ADD! He has far from the many symptoms for that. heck, I don't even know if I believe a diagnosis by a doctor because appropriate testing was not done, it was based on a casual conversation - more in my saga about mememememememe, it is always about mememememe. So can we kill the talk about Clay and ADD, please! You know how quickly an offhand comment gets picked up as a fact!!!!

00lsee, I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no wallpapers. Sorry. Hope someone answers your question, though.

jmh, your entire post was fantastic, but I especially liked this paragraph:

Now I would love it if he gave Clay Aiken a tongue bath; I would love it if every person on the planet loved Clay Aiken like I do. Clay didn't impress him, apparently, in 1776. That's fine--I believe he's being honest. I don't think it was easy for someone as talented as Clay to do his best in a bit part, knowing what he was capable of if given a chance. Clay has a short attention span, he's admitted it, Clay has indicated in interviews that he has a short attention span, so I believe that Mann's memory is correct. His interpretation, if it is his, I don't share, but then I'm all about Clay. I have no idea whether Terry provided the cutting element to that article, or whether the reporter arranged the quotes to make it so. If he did, that's too bad, but I can understand the sentiment behind it even if I do not share it.

And this one too:

As for Clay being lucky, I think Clay'd be the first to agree. Clay was lucky, but he has also worked hard to be where he is today, and I believe he will keep on working hard at his career for many years to come. It's that hard work that will bring him acceptance and the respect of his peers, not the adoration of his fans, not his charisma or his luck. I have no doubt that it will come, but I also know there will never be a day when everyone adores him like I do.

There have been times where I've gotten the feeling from some fans that EVERYONE must love Clay. Bugs the crap out of me too. Some people, even with second, third, and fifthteenth chances, just will not get Clay. That's fine with me.

And yes, Clay's work ethic will get him far, I just know it. It's just going to take time. These things don't happen overnight, ya'll. He's gonna be around for a LONG time. In other words -- that 15 minutes? Nah. No way.

Glad you had fun muski and the eHP!

Thank God we aren't all judged on how we acted when we were 17, or what our 17-year-old work ethic was or anything else we did when we were 17. If we were, I'd have no career, no friends and my family would have abandoned me. Although it's really difficult for me to imagine Clay Aiken taking a role and not putting his all into it, giving 100%, I realize I'm thinking of 29-year-old Clay Aiken, not Clay Aiken the (most likely) difficult teenager. I also find it amazing that Terrance Mann remembers the name of a young bit-actor from 16 years ago. Clay must have made a big impression on him, good or bad.

That's quite an astute observation. Of course, I don't think I'm all THAT much different than when I was 17. :cryingwlaughter: But yeah, we've only had little glimpses into what he was like at that age, especially regarding something that resembled WORK. Heh. But now? He puts everything into it, and I love that.

Huh? Who's Q?

Man, I think I've blocked that from my brain, that Guarini interview. But didn't he mention Quincy Jones (aka, "Q") more than a few times? Or maybe it was the villian from Star Trek: the Next Generation. I don't remember.

Definitely not alone here, Jenna. I find that humble charm of his quite fascinating. I also think it's probably part of his upbringing. There's lots of times where I've thought of the phrase "pride cometh before a fall" in regards to Clay. It just seems to be part of his nature.

Strange theory here: I kind of think that maybe his humbleness may help his career a bit, for one reason: the surprise factor. He plays things down a bit, people's expectations are lowered a bit...and then WHAMMO! He knocks it out of the park. Granted, he can't do that forever, but I do think it helps a bit.

Oh this whole thing with Terrence Mann is so amusing. When it first came out that Clay worked with him some fans were wondering why he never mentioned it before...I guess its because we was a very young bit player that probably got shouted at a few times.

BUT what was making me shake my head was fans saying Clay should be mentioning all these theater background and not say that he is inexperienced. I totally disagree with that. These are really bit parts in high school local theater...its not like he was seriously working on being on stage...so he knows that would be just artificially puffing up his resume. He proves himself with what he can do now...no need to try and get cred by mentioning he was apple seller in Annie..

I agree- it's not like he was a struggling young actor with an extensive body of work- "paying his dues", so to speak, by appearing in many different productions. Seems to me like it was much more sparse.

Huh? Who's Q?

I think he mentioned Quincy Jones, but I don't remember the context it was used in. Yeah, good old Justin kind of gave me the willies too.

ETA- AWWW, ldtjocelyn above beat me to it!

DEFINITELY not alone! This was one of the first things that really attracted me to him- his self-deprecating personality. I really can't relate to all of the calls for him to talk up all of his previous singing/acting experiences, OR to all of the angst directed at him for using we/our instead of I,I,I!! It's a part of who he is, to deflect praise from himself and to share it with others . I imagine it so deeply ingrained in him that he couldn't change it now if he tried- and really, why would he want to? (Well, except for the constant call from his concerned fans.) Personally, I hope he never changes that part of his personality!

I don't think I would say that clowning around is a sign of a short attention span, there are plenty of other reasons for behavior like that and I would ablsolutely not try and diagnose him as ADD! He has far from the many symptoms for that. heck, I don't even know if I believe a diagnosis by a doctor because appropriate testing was not done, it was based on a casual conversation - more in my saga about mememememememe, it is always about mememememe. So can we kill the talk about Clay and ADD, please! You know how quickly an offhand comment gets picked up as a fact!!!!

I wasn't diagnosing him...I was just saying it is a possibility. I just don't know why we can't take Clay's word for him having a short attention span. Its just that when you say the reason you think he doesn't it does not take away that possibility. Its just that I know a lot of adults with ADD and they are able to study and learn complex things and sit for long periods of time, its not always easy, but they are able to do it. There are also different levels of short attention span. I guess my argument is .... there are things that are observable with Clay that is consistent with short attention span so when he says he has a short attention span I don't have a reason not to believe him.