#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

the dancing talk isn't a criticism of Clay in the role of spamalot. I think everyone that has seen the show has been surprised and delighted at how well he's doing. But as someone who breaks all stereotypes because dancing doesn't come naturally I understand where KAndre is coming from. I love that Clay takes on a challenge. Play, weren't you the one that mentioned how Clay is totally concentrating during that dance number?

A Review from tonight.

Posted by Morganette at the CH:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EEEEE! I'm here in New York and just got back to the hotel from the show! EEEEEE!!! Computer here at the hotel is 20 cents a minute. Will type fast. Don't know if that's a good deal or whatever.

The theater was packed!! I don't think there were any empty seats on the orchestra level or the mezzanine, don't know about the balcony. We went to the box office about 6:30 to get tickets and they said it was nearly sold out, but they had a cancellation so we got 8th row center. Great seats! But they sure are crammed close together & it was warm in there. Seems like it was a warm day here today. And it's hot as hell here in this computer room!

Anyway, the show was fantastic! Many many families there tonight, it's the Kid's Night On Broadway thing going on. The Playbill had a special Playbill inside for the kids. Many many men in the crowd, older couples, etc.

It seemed like Clay got the loudest applause at the curtain call. Hannah wasn't there again tonight so they had the understudy, Emily Hsu. The crowd seemed to like her just fine. She's very pretty and has a nice voice, just not as loud or enthusiastic (or buxom!) as Hannah!

The Knights of Ni said something political having to do with the election but darn it I can't remember what it was.

Didn't see any hole in Clay's tights. Tomorrow I'll be in the second row, can maybe get a closer look! I did notice how much Clay's eyes were sparkling, and how great he looked.

There was a huge crowd waiting to get in the theater at 7:30, & it seemed to take forever to get in the door, no orderly line at all, just this huge crowd all over the street trying to swarm in the door all at the same time. Maybe it's always like that? And then of course there was a huge long line to use the restroom. I didn't think I would make it to my seat on time but I did. We ate at Junior's before the show, and that place is fast!

We got autographs at the stage door. The crowd was bigger than I thought it would be for a Tuesday, lots of kids there. A very quiet crowd, not even any clapping or screaming when Clay came out which I thought was a little strange after some of the videos I've seen! It seemed like it was mostly a not-just-us crowd waiting there. On the way back to the hotel we saw a very similar crowd waiting for autographs after The Little Mermaid got out. Kids everywhere.

That's all for now. We're seeing two more shows so hopefully I can report some more observations then. My son thoroughly enjoyed the show too, and is glad we're seeing it again.

the dancing talk isn't a criticism of Clay in the role of spamalot. I think everyone that has seen the show has been surprised and delighted at how well he's doing. But as someone who breaks all stereotypes because dancing doesn't come naturally I understand where KAndre is coming from. I love that Clay takes on a challenge. Play, weren't you the one that mentioned how Clay is totally concentrating during that dance number?
I guess i did not understand why the converstion of Clay being a good dancer started, must have missed a post somewhere. I know some people think Clay is god's gift to broadway, I tend lean toward he is quite entertaining and suited to the role and has the capability to learn and do more different stuff in the future. I thinkhe is better than some in the show and not as good as others, the show is stolen by Hannah and Tom. I am not a big fan of the guy playing Arthur.

I said in one show, Clay was "intense" (while he was dancing). I don't even know how to describe it. His face was fairly immoble, but his eyes were on fire. I did not see him look like that the next day and had not seen him look that way before. it was hypnotizing, I kept looking at his eyes and didn't really see much of that part of the show.

On other boards..... I see the so-called "Simon Diss" conversation is going on, but people are ignoring my comment, which I believe can explain why Clay is being mentioned so much this year on Idol. The auditions were filmed in the summer. I strongly suspect it is because the show was filmed shortly after foot gate - which was covered by the DJs, and by the print media and by entertainment TV. Basically all the areas that Simon wants to be on. I do seem to recallthat one reporter asked Simon about Clay and his foot, so I suspect this wold be something that he would remember and it would put Clay forward in his lobes, so the name would periodically slip out. Other guesses are good as well.

I've enjoyed the dance conversation, but I wonder if any of you have considered that Clay grew up a Southern Baptist when part of the dogma was that dancing was a sin -- something associated with bars and dance halls and drinking and adultery. I certainly heard my share of those sermons in my day. I'd dance in my room to the radio and be terrified that my mother would catch me. You know the old joke about why Baptists don't make love standing up .... because people might think they're dancing! No joke, it can be quite inhibiting no matter what kind of natural ability you may or may not have (the dancing, okay, the dancing).

I suppose all reasonable people in the E and C time zones are turning in for the night, but these pictures have excited me. Just GAH for the hair growing out! And if it were just a bit darker ...... like brown ..... I'm entitled to a preference ... but this hair is looking GREAT!!! And :F_05BL17blowkiss: Scarlett for posting those links!

ClaySpamalotmatinee2-2-087.jpg

ClaySpamalotmatinee2-2-085.jpg

I loved dinner last night. The usual fine times ... but I'm missing me some Solo and Perusing One. It's been too long!!!!! It was super to meet Desertrose -- and I hope she likes that cousin whom she says I resemble, since I forgot to ask. :cryingwlaughter:

But the time with all the eHPeeps is never long enough. Bring on the SLEEPOVER!!! I know, as if we sleep.

<snip>Besides, it's not as if people come to Spamalot for the dancing.

:cryingwlaughter:

I've enjoyed the dance conversation, but I wonder if any of you have considered that Clay grew up a Southern Baptist when part of the dogma was that dancing was a sin -- something associated with bars and dance halls and drinking and adultery.

I could use some edification here. What is current Southern Baptist dogma on dancing? Some do, some don't? Is it like Catholics and birth control?

But, didn't Clay say in LTS how ridiculous he thought it was that a church was against dancing?? And, he wrote about going to a dance....so I somehow doubt that the church affected his dancing all that much unless he was inhibited by osmosis from fundamentalists.

he is not stiff

Ansa! Are you trying to say that it's a fold? :cry4:

keepingfaith, I understand what you're saying about the Baptists and dancing and whatnot, but in my many decades and my own Southern upbringing, I've found that to be one of those 'rules' that are broken more than followed. I'd be surprised if that had anything to do with his dancing or not dancing. I'm more inclined to consider the whole big, floppy feet and dork and insult target and all that....

Anyhoo....he's not a professional dancer, but he IS a professional singer. That's the difference.

To me, Justin Timberlake could be a professional dancer, but he seems to want to be considered a professional singer. :unsure: But for me the SOUND of his voice, the quality of it---he'll never be more than a mediocre vocalist.

Clay's natural vocal ability can't be denied. He's a professional vocalist without much effort, actually. He can definitely dance when he puts his all into it, but he's no pro at it. He's a sponge and hard worker, so I tend to think that he'll always be decent at ANYthing he chooses to add to his resume. For example, if he ever decides to be in a movie in a strictly dramatic role? He'll be good. Maybe not great in the first one, but I'll bet my bippy that he'll be believable and will do himself proud. Not because he is a 'natural' dramatic actor (although I honestly think he has many of the inner 'drivers' that can produce one), but because he is intelligent and very, very hardworking. And he INSISTS on doing his best.

And Clay Aiken's best is damned good.

Now...enough about Clay; it's time to talk about meeeeeeeeeeeeee. :cryingwlaughter: I think I'm improving, too. Check this out: Since last Wednesday, I've slept in three different beds (in two hotels and one friend's house); I've traveled by car, shuttle, bus and taxi, lugging bags and checking them in, too; I've managed and attended conferences in hotels and convention centers; I've attended parties in a theater and a restaurant---all in three cities in two states and....(drum roll, please!)

I STILL have in my possession---

My laptop

Its cord for charging.

My new video iPod

Its usb cord and headphones.

My new cell phone

Its charger.

:party038:

Thank you. Thank you. Really, it was nothing. Thank you, thank you. :blush:

edited because I really DO know the difference between 'it's' and 'its'. In fact, it's a pet peeve of mine....heh.

Interesting point Keeping Faith. I guess, and I don't know for sure, I never saw Faye as a dogmatic southern baptist. She was in a band and enjoyed worldly music and that didn't seem to be cut off from Clay.

jazzgirl as a PK you make a great point..church doctrine and how people actually live their lives are often far apart.

To Heidi and everybody in the tornado's path...be careful out there. Does it make you want to move to the land of earthquakes, firestorms, and mudslides?

bwah!! don't jinx yourself Muski...but we'll all do a happy dance if you make it home without losing one electronic device.

I well remember--card playing, chewing gum, and dancing were all sins, and none were permitted in the church building. Except it wasn't Southern Baptist, it was Methodist. My daddy's family had some Freewill Baptists--I had a cousin who was a Freewill Baptist minister. His girls weren't allowed to wear pants or bathing suits. Everyone of 'em had a shotgun wedding. :cryingwlaughter: There were all kinds of unusual Baptists and other kinds of Christians in my world when I was a kid. Here's one for ya--in some strict southern churches, singing anything but Christian songs was a sin, because the voice was a gift from God. Some African American churches had that notion too, and some old time R & B singers caught a lot of flack for singing secular songs.

What is current Southern Baptist dogma on dancing? Some do, some don't?

I think the latter--lot of differences of opinion. They're split on a lot of other stuff too.

But, didn't Clay say in LTS how ridiculous he thought it was that a church was against dancing?? And, he wrote about going to a dance....so I somehow doubt that the church affected his dancing all that much unless he was inhibited by osmosis from fundamentalists.

I went to dances every Friday and Saturday night just about from the 8th grade through high school. I was big into sinning. :cryingwlaughter: Seriously, there was fairly intense disapproval from some, but others didn't see it the same way.

:pirateship:

Now...enough about Clay; it's time to talk about meeeeeeeeeeeeee. :cryingwlaughter: I think I'm improving, too. Check this out: Since last Wednesday, I've slept in three different beds (in two hotels and one friend's house); I've traveled by car, shuttle, bus and taxi, lugging bags and checking them in, too; I've managed and attended conferences in hotels and convention centers; I've attended parties in a theater and a restaurant---all in three cities in two states and....(drum roll, please!)

My laptop

It's cord for charging.

My new video iPod

It's usb cord and headphones.

My new cell phone

It's charger.

I'm impressed!! YAY Muski!! yesssmileyf.gifNow make sure you bring it all home with you.

Some African American churches had that notion too, and some old time R & B singers caught a lot of flack for singing secular songs.

LOL... yep. I think I can even remember where wearing pants for women was a sin. Definitely no drinking, and no cussing and no dancing... bwah. And I don't do..well.uh. heee. The main thing that always bothered me cuz my father took it to extreme, was the whole patriarchal man is the head of the household thing. Yeah whatever. Probably why my mom left him LOL. Anyway, Clay and I have a con nec tion on the fact that for me ultimately - although I have my issues with organized religion - it was all about community and so you ignore/forgive some of the things you don't agree with. I have a lot of good memories.

ETA: Bwah..ok comprehension is important! Welcome home Muski!! I have your pins. I'm not spending any money to mail them to you. Maybe I'll drop them off tomorrow.

Play, I definitely know that side of the coin as well.

I think these decisions vary across baptist and methodist churches. I had a friend who's father was a minister in a baptist church in Texas and he had a no drinking, no Tv, no movies, no hand holding before marriage, no music and only single sex beach trips. After her break with her family and leaving her abusing husband, I got to work with her when she escaped to NY and it was like having a small child of 30 to play with. I walked her though hre first snowfall and took her to the beach and to jazz clubs (and sea chantie singalongs) and to her first movie and taught her to sail. It was a lot of fun. I also had a friend in a methodist church in NJ which did not approve of music and Tv and movies, but her parents approved of them so.....

hee, wearing pants - my uncle (a catholic) would not let his wife or daughter ever wear pants - his daughter went off into hippie land in the 70d - drugs sex and rock and roll. She came out the other side with 2 children and became a teacher.

I think Faye used to sing in a band with Vernon, if I remember my Clay lore correctly. And we know Faye and Clay sang in the car together and she set him up on carpet samples and let him perform.

...and it doesn't look like dancing bothers her now...

th_fayepre-party1.jpg th_fayeatpre-party2.jpg

...so I'm thinking Clay didn't have that kind of strict Southern Baptist upbringing.

My step-mom's family was Southern Baptist. Each one followed their own belief when it came to the singing and dancing thing. Some sang and worked in bands, others wouldn't allow dancing or drinking or smoking in their homes.

Anyone mention having to wear a handkerchief on your head if you were Catholic and forgot to wear a hat to church? I had more of my mom's and grandmother's hankies pinned to my head that I care to remember. Glad that rule changed.

Good point, laughn!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! We bought our airline tickets for Spamalot in March! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

No work for me today, instead we have a series of hospital appts. Figure we might as well get it all overwith in one day! So have a good one, y'all. I'll be catching up tonight. Don't talk too much. :cryingwlaughter:

I thought I'd add my two cents to the current topics de jour. I don't think Clay has ADD. I raised a child with ADHD and there is far more to it then just a short attention span. Kids with HDD are very distractable, impulsive, emotionally imature, and often have behavioral problems. I just think Clay gets bored very easily. He probably wasn't all to enthused about a small part. Clay is great at sharing the spotlight...but I think he likes to be the Star. Add to that the fact that he was only 17 at the time that he was directed by Terrence Mann.

Seems to me that Clay mentioned going to dances when he was in High School. Faye doesn't seem to me as a really strict Southern Baptist. laughn, those pics of Clay competiting in a DWTS.s type of contest doesn't appear, at least to me, something a more rigid Southern Baptist lady would do. I do remember Clay saying that she sang with a band when he was younger. Seems to me there is a pic out somewhere of her singing with a band.

I agree Clay is not a natural dancer, but I do think he is better than he lets on. I think he is good about following the beat. I do think he gets self-conscious when dancing, and has a tendency to make it into a joke. But looking back on his dancing during AI, he has come a long ways. I haven't seen him in Spamalot, but it sounds like he is doing great. I give him alot of credit though for taking this role since he knew it entailed alot of dancing. I think he really took a lot of risks and went way outside his comfort zone for this role.

And yeah that scarf on the head when going to Mass brings back memories.

ETA

Marilyn at CV posted a Re-Cap of last night.

Oh. MY.GOODNESS!!

What a night!! Got into the city around 3:30 and my two Claymaniac friends met me and we "shopped" at Macy's. They were actually having GREAT sales but of course I didnt buy anything. Then we walked 10 blocks and went to dinner at Juniors- right across the alley from Shubert. We ate dinner and then shared a cherry cheesecake . WOW -creamy and delicious.

There didnt seem to be too many people outside the theatre waiting to go in- we walked inside around 7:15 and I was the third person to go into the door. My friends were on the left side, seats A1 and A3, and I was on the right side, seat C2.

I was sort of getting worried because there were a lot of seats still open in the middle first four or five rows. But needlessly, because they sure filled up fast. I didnt see ANY empty seats middle orchestra, and on the sides, I only saw the last seat against the wall in a couple of rows. I was watching the mezzanine and there were TONS of people and they just kept on coming!! It looked like the balcony was full too!! So if Nikki bought SRO tickets, then it was probably almost a sellout!!

There had been a notice on the door to the theatre and in the playbill that Hannah would not be performing again, that Emily Hsu was taking her place.

When the show started, after the initial dance, Clay came to the window as the guard. It was eerie, because there were no screams or cheers. But keep in mind there were MANY kids with their families. And LOTs of men, too. I had two men next to me, both had come alone. (At intermission one asked the other if he liked it and he said he was enjoying it IMMENSELY) I actually also heard the last line Clay sang after Idol of my Age HAHA!! (tmCA) but he did get applause after it. His expressions are very animated, more so than I remember at the first show, and he is really grooving it with the dance moves. ROCKING IT!!

ONe of the group dances, when at the first show he just clapped his hands and moved his feet, he was doing that move (I wish I knew what it was called) when you move the head from side to side in a dip (I have seen Will Smith do it on fresh prince) It was sooo COOL!! He is much more fluid in his moves, and lets his rhythm loose, too!!! (WHOA!! ) He also is making a lot more of his "soiled" pants experience, kind of moving his knees up and trying to get away from what must be in there!!! Its hard to describe, but funny to watch!! He draws out the scream a little more when he sees the black knight, too!!

In the Camelot scene, he is mighty lecherous, chasing after the girls and making comments. I know he said a few things, but I was on the opposite side of the stage so I couldnt hear them. And right at the end of the dance, right before "GOD" appears, he and one of the dancers are chest to chest, holding both arms straight out, holding hands, and spinning around. WOO HOO!!

The Knights of Ni mentioned the political candidates and how their ratings were. Then they went to check the polls!!

His big number- Broadway- he put SOO much more into it than opening night- it was WONDERFUL!! i have to say that if you see Clay, then immediately watch DHP's video, or vice versa, you will see how much more animated Clay is. (Not that DHP is bad, he is very good) but he is more subtle.

When they brought out the wooden rabbit, Clay plastered himself against it, facing out, and cried "Oh, WOW!!' I laughed so hard.

And in the final scene- he just ROCKED! He was right in front of me, and he bumped hips with one of the girl dancers, and then just moved that body in the ways that we have all hoped he would during concerts. There was lots of hip shaking and booty twisting, thats for sure.

At curtain call, the cheers were great for all of them, but I will have to say it seemed like the cheers for Clay were the loudest. The king seemed to come in second.

The peasant was seat C101, right across the aisle from me. When Patsy came to help her out of her seat, his backpack was almost in my lap!! And the funny thing is, her last name was Goldstein (I think) Anyway it was Jewish, and when "Sir Robin" heard that he was just jumping up and down for joy!!! It was funny.

I also want to say that I absolutely loved Tom Decker (Prince Herbert). When I saw him at stage door, I got his autograph and told him he was ADORABLE!! I think I embarassed him!! hheeeeeeee!!

The King made a little speech about kids day on Broadway, and how he got introduced to Broadway when he was young, and he hoped that some of the audience would be inspired. I dont know how I remember that, because I was staring at Clay the whole time!! And yes, he was very "happy" again tonight.

After the show, I walked to the end of the railings. I had my old camera with me (Its nothing special) and I wanted to take some pics. I actually got to take a pic of Sean as he was leaving.

I also had made up my own 8 1/2 by 11 poster of Clay in the tux, with a few extras. He came out in about 10 mins. His sweater looked to be dark blue and he had a button down striped shirt, jeans and sneakers (I will post the couple of pics I took- they dont do him justice but at least you can see what he looked like)

He was coming toward the end of the line very fast. A couple of PYT's behind me said "Where is Clay Aiken?" and I told them he was the blonde. Their jaws dropped open and their eyes went really wide!!

There were not that many people, maybe around 50 or so, and I dont think he signed more than 25 playbills. As he was signing my friend's playbill,she said "Mazeltov" and he said "Thanks." I dont think he looks up much at people while signing.Then as he was signing my poster, I said "Brilliant British accent, Clay". He signed, then looked up and I could see the recognition in his eyes, and he said "OH!!! Well, coming from you, thats very good!!"

He then said bye to all and went back inside.

Best quickie I ever had!!

She was one of the lucky fans that got to read one of her stories during the Christmas Tour. She has also posted a couple of Stage Door pictures here.

Another CV'er got SRO Tickets last night, so the show must have been sold out to get those type of tickets.

I think Clay is very intelligent, bores easily and doesn't suffer fools.

yeah, that.

laughn, those pics of Clay competiting in a DWTS.s type of contest doesn't appear, at least to me, something a more rigid Southern Baptist lady would do.

desertflower, did you mean to say, Faye, not Clay? Those pics were of Faye dancing (for charity, if I remember correctly) last year....well, it was a preview of her DWTS thing she did for a fan gathering I think.

Last night while I was being lulled to sleep by tons of rain, I flipped on the TV. There was Kenny on my screen, the Scrubs rerun. I watched him closely, thinking of him now on Broadway. It wasn't a big part, but he was good in it. Really good.

I think it was just another step down the path, one more opportunity to try, to learn, to accomplish, and then move on to the next. I think he's a quick study with whatever it is he sets his mind to try. I see his spot on Broadway like that. I don't know how it will serve him in the future, but I have no doubt it will.

yum

I think Clay's ideas about his dancing limitations come mainly from a youth spent in that coltish body with its unreliable ankles and its awkward proportions. An ungainly teenager, already self-conscious of his looks, might not risk public humiliation by attempting, with any seriousness, to all-out dance in front of his often cruel peers. Now that his body is maturing, so might his confidence and competence in this area...but I suspect his "I can't dance" will remain part of his schtick, regardless of how well he or his fans actually thinks he moves.

desertflower, did you mean to say, Faye, not Clay? Those pics were of Faye dancing (for charity, if I remember correctly) last year....well, it was a preview of her DWTS thing she did for a fan gathering I think.

yeah I meant Faye....must be thinking to much about Clay. *g*

Good Morning Everyone,

88 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

90-97 Days until The New CD!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

My laptop

Its cord for charging.

My new video iPod

Its usb cord and headphones.

My new cell phone

Its charger.

edited because I really DO know the difference between 'it's' and 'its'. In fact, it's a pet peeve of mine....heh.

I am SO proud of you!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: (But being home doesn't necessarily mean you are safe.....)

I don't think Clay is a natural dancer. He strikes me as someone with two very large left feet. I think he probably worked harder on his dancing in this show than anything else. But as someone pointed out, DHP wasn't a dancer either. I am dying to see the improvement from opening night on Saturday, but he will never be Gregory Hines or Baryshnikov ("White Nights" is one of my favorite movies ever!).

Clay can't be good at everything and he is soooooooo good at sooooooo much, who cares if he isn't a gifted dancer. He worked hard to be good enough for this role. I give him credit for that.

Shit - just heard on GMA that they are expecting the bad storms to hit my area too. I just hope the tornados don't come here up north!

Time to drag myself to work......

yum

I think Clay's ideas about his dancing limitations come mainly from a youth spent in that coltish body with its unreliable ankles and its awkward proportions. An ungainly teenager, already self-conscious of his looks, might not risk public humiliation by attempting, with any seriousness, to all-out dance in front of his often cruel peers. Now that his body is maturing, so might his confidence and competence in this area...but I suspect his "I can't dance" will remain part of his schtick, regardless of how well he or his fans actually thinks he moves.

I'm gonna pretend this is my last thought on the subject....

Even beyond that, most guys I know simply don't wanna dance. They really don't. I bet if you ask 70% of the men in America, they will claim not to dance, and the older they get, the less they want to do it, except for maybe slow dancing. Hell, a quarter of the women I know say they can't dance. It's not a particularly uncommon attitude.

Man, yesterday SUCKED at work.

Today is already SUCKING.

Just like a Dyson. Only with great big clogs.

yum

Bingo!! I do think he will benefit from these dancing lessons and I bet deep down he's glad he learned some new things. I think he'll dance around more in concerts. Dies, thinking about that.

I think he'll dance around more in concerts.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he will. IMO, being on a Broadway stage, as part of a repertory company doing dance steps, is totally different than including dancing while he's singing by himself in concert. I'm just guessing, but I think he feels there's "safety in numbers" by being part of the group; adding dancing, even semi-spontaneous dancing, to a concert where the focus on him, I just can't see. And I do agree with 00lsee that as much as he's gained from the learning the dancing for this show -- once it's over he'll be back to "I can't dance." Maybe he'll change it though to "I'm not a coordinated dancer."

KAndre, I do see your point about guys claiming not to dance though.

Hey -- maybe we should buy Clay a copy of Dance Dance Revolution! (I spent a half hour with that last night, as my daily workout. Too much fun...but geez, the coordination you need is unreal. And I'm only trying it in beginner level!)

KAndre, my whole work week has SUCKED. Something must be in the air.

{{{{{those affected by the tornadoes}}}}}}

...so I'm thinking Clay didn't have that kind of strict Southern Baptist upbringing.

My step-mom's family was Southern Baptist. Each one followed their own belief when it came to the singing and dancing thing. Some sang and worked in bands, others wouldn't allow dancing or drinking or smoking in their homes.

Your family can be fine with it, but if some of the people in the church aren't, especially the influential and/or vocal ones, you can still end up feeling like you're sinning (even if you're enjoying it).

BUT, looking at the way Clay danced in the group numbers and the way he moved (or didn't) on AI, I'd say he didn't do much dancing until after he won AI.