#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

Well, I think there is no doubt they are close friends. Clay has said so. He has gone to her concerts, she to his. He has said they talk regularly. So I believe they are friends. What if anything may have happened that went beyond friendship I have no clue. But their friendship I am sure of.

I agree their careers shouldn't be compared, but let's face it. Many in this fandom find a need to compare Clay's career to any and all who came off Idol. Never saw the need or logic to that, but it happens all the time.

I also do not think Kelly is as "wild" as some think, anymore than I think Clay is as much of a goody-two-shoes as some think.

As to the AI2 Xmas special attitude - that was before the IT and I think Kelly completely changed her perception of Clay once she got to know him. It has happened multiple times. Kimmel, for example.

I also find it interesting that saying one likes the Clelly seems to spark more discussion than shipping him with anyone else. Wonder why that is?

On a completely different subject, I have a question. It seems Jerome will be with Clay his entire stay in NY. Why do you think they find this necessary? In a city where bigger stars than Clay can walk around anonymously, where the other actors in Spamalot don't appear to have security with them 24/7, why does Clay? Is that a comment on his fans? Or do you think there is another, perhaps more ominous reason? Or is Clay just paranoid?

When I saw Jerome there opening night, I assumed he would be there for that weekend, and perhaps the last weekend, when a full throng of Clay fans would be descending on NY. But here it is 2 weeks later and Jerome is still there, diligent as usual.

This is a long run, a long time for Jerome to be away from his family. It must be costing Clay a fortune, too. I am sure he has to pay for Jerome's lodgings as well as his salary. Are "we" really that scary?

It just really seems odd to me. Any thoughts?

IMG_7526.jpg

I've never felt that Jerome was there solely to protect Clay from his fans. There are probably threats out there that we are unaware of. Just look at some of the horrible comments that are generated whenever there is a "news" (using the term loosely) article out there and you get an idea of how many crazies there are that would wish Clay harm.

I have finally stopped reading those comments as some of them almost made me physically ill.

Claygasm- with the J P mess and the woman in Nebraska making threats, and the fact that FBM and MnJ have been at the show several times, I myself hope that Jerome stays with Clay- he DOES need someone to keep an eye out for him

I don't think its the regular fans (even some of the OTT ones) because I am sure they would not intentionally hurt Clay.

The others I am not so sure of.

ETA: or what RIfan said

Are "we" really that scary?

I'd say "Yes", some of us are that scary. Sometimes there's an undercurrent of need, or even more distressing, a sense of entitlement in some fan posts. Clay doesn't generally have such a fixed schedule when he tours. With Spamalot, he's going in the same door at the same time almost every day for several months, so he'd be pretty easy to find.

I agree that what we know about the "Crazies" is probably sadly only the tip off the iceberg of what is lurking around out there.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad Clay has a familiar friend with him in NYC.

CG unfortunately I do think he is there for us, for ominous reasons and also for Clay.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clay has had more than just fan mails. He is just the kind of guy that can bring about extreme reactions. I have a feeling he may been getting scary letters since AI since it seems like he was the only one that had Jerome beside him most of the time and that was before they knew much about the enthusiasm of the fandom. For us... with stalker fans and fans that think they are talking to Clay and getting impregnated by him and just from fans that have a tendency to get overly excited...I can see where this can be a problem for Clay. For Clay...we already know that he has had some panic attacks that he had to take medication for. He is now off that medication but his life hasn't really changed. I bet Clay just finds Jerome's presence really reassuring.

I didn't always like Kelly. I didn't watch AI 1 so when I first took notice of her ...it was when she would be interviewed as the first AI along with Justin. My first impression of her was an airhead...and a bit of a Diva because of the AI Christmas special. But she sure changed my mind during IT. She didn't seem like a diva to me and I loved how clay and her would talk to each other cos she can be pretty witty and I thought she kinda pushed Clay a bit. I think Kelly also tried to keep up with Clay and I really thought the chemistry between them was strong and I do think that its because they had so much in common and because she did bring out a lot of Clay;s child like qualities. I thought if Clay wasn't so careful with relationships and pretty much a gentleman, then something could've developed between them. But I always felt that Clay would be wary about starting something in such an unusual setting. But after IT...their career paths moved away from each other and I think Kelly did get pulled a bit into the party scene and the cool rocker chick image during Breakaway. Right now I bet these two are very different people from their IT days. They went through a lot of personal and career challenges but I think they still have more things in common than not. I have to admit that this friendship and his friendship with Ruben are the two that I get schmoopie about. I don't feel the same about Klo though. I think they are still friendly but I doubt they are as close as they were on AI2.

I really still like Kelly, I think she is so very very talented...I think the post Breakaway craziness with My December was a result of bad advice from her management.

What I find interesting is the Kelly and Tyra are the only two I have heard about that have both said in radio interviews that Clay is not gay. So, that gives me a deep affection for both of them being in Clay's life.

liney, I remember the Kelly mention (although of course the DJs ignored it), but do you have a link for Tyra's mention of Clay in a radio interview? Must have missed that one.

Sorry, I don't have a link. I just remembered reading about it on CB shortly after his being on her show. For some reason I remember it being a NY DJ and she was asked cause he had just been on her show and the DJ had seen it. I remember thinking how great that was of her to say and imagining what had made her so sure... :cryingwlaughter: And, that was way before I ever read the Clyra story... S.W.O.O.N.

I also find it interesting that saying one likes the Clelly seems to spark more discussion than shipping him with anyone else. And Wonder why that is?

is that true? I think there has been more discussion about Clyra. But I responded a second time because of the jealousy thing.

Clay seems to garner a large degree of hate and operators that have no shame to try to get next to him (JP, Bay Mama and yeah I'd put all the nutbars in the same group) I would think IF Clay is with Jerome in NY it's because he needs him. We have no idea what they are dealing with and frankly just from the nutbars we know about I'm grateful he is there. Jerome's job keeps him on the road whether it be on tour or whatever else. I would say Jerome will probably have more home time in the next 4 months than he did iin 2004. That's the nature of the business that he is in. ANd if he wants a vacation or needs one, Clay will bring someone else in like he did for JBT. Clay can afford it so I'm sure that doesn't enter into the equation. Considering his recycled clothes, he needs to spend his money on something.

I'd say "Yes", some of us are that scary. Sometimes there's an undercurrent of need, or even more distressing, a sense of entitlement in some fan posts. Clay doesn't generally have such a fixed schedule when he tours. With Spamalot, he's going in the same door at the same time almost every day for several months, so he'd be pretty easy to find.

Totally agree bottlecap. And I'd go one further and say not just in fan posts but in the atmostphere around Clay. Horny mothers... that writer got that one right.

Cindilu -- well the fact that we went to NYC is true..it doesn't have to be a negative. But I do think Clay has to be careful of OTT fans but like Bottle says..it's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Clay.

I hate to say it but Clay coming out to sign autographs at the stage door makes him a sitting duck. ANYONE could be in that throng of people, including, but not limited to, the fricking nutbars who hang out at the Fraud Squad and JP's swamp. I don't think the other actors in the show have ever been seen in the tabloids or have their faces plastered all over the internet, tv or magazines.

I think Clay is a target every time he goes out in public and that's so very, very sad to me. I'm sure it isn't one of the "perks" of his job.

I wouldn't put it past any of the crazies to try to hurt him. I wouldn't put it past some of the OTT to try to grab or pull him into the crowd...let's face it, it's happened once already.

I never saw the Kelly/Clay connection. I don't dislike Kelly but I sure as shit dislike the bullshit her "friends" spewed for years. If Kelly and Clay were such close friends, she should have told her buddies to shut the fuck up.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care for the (self) characterization of Clay's fans 'descending' on NYC. We're not locusts. Not crazy about discussing his need for security either. JMO and all that.

On a completely different subject, I have a question. It seems Jerome will be with Clay his entire stay in NY. Why do you think they find this necessary? In a city where bigger stars than Clay can walk around anonymously, where the other actors in Spamalot don't appear to have security with them 24/7, why does Clay? Is that a comment on his fans? Or do you think there is another, perhaps more ominous reason? Or is Clay just paranoid?

My guess, claygasm, is that it's a little bit of all of those things. I think because of the nature of AI, Clay, unlike many recognizable celebrities, was hit hard and fast with the world of over the top fans. I think most other performers sort of ease into 'ass and grass snatching'. That, along with a combination of his own insecurities about crowds and the mean crazies of the world (JP and the like) showing up along the way, I would imagine Jerome is worth the money for the peace of mind afforded. Didn't Clay once thank Jerome for making his life feel like it was 'normal again'...? (or some such wording)

Before Spamalot, my friend and I were scoping out the theater and surrounds. As we walked down Schubert Alley, I was pointing things out. "There's the stage door. There are Clay's barricades ready to be moved into position. There's Jerome." I suddenly stopped and realized, I'm within three feet of a real live person and I'm pointing him out as if he were a piece of the scenery. Fortunately, he was talking on his cell and maybe didn't hear me. I gave an embarrassed little wave and moved on. Yes, he did wave back. Funny, but very embarrassing.

I also think we discuss the Clyra here more than that Clelly - on my part frankly because Kelly doesn't actually ping my radar unless she has something to do with Clay - the chick just has never particularly impressed me one way or another. I also tend to think of people 'shipping Clay with someone that people can either relate to or have something in common with - which says something to me about either Kelly or Tyra or our lovely board members...

Jerome? I like Jerome. It is just so weird to me that I can actually recognize him. I bet he finds it weird too, but he clearly deals with it well.

My guess, claygasm, is that it's a little bit of all of those things. I think because of the nature of AI, Clay, unlike many recognizable celebrities, was hit hard and fast with the world of over the top fans. I think most other performers sort of ease into 'ass and grass snatching'. That, along with a combination of his own insecurities about crowds and the mean crazies of the world (JP and the like) showing up along the way, I would imagine Jerome is worth the money for the peace of mind afforded. Didn't Clay once thank Jerome for making his life feel like it was 'normal again'...? (or some such wording)

I also think that for Clay...Jerome is more like family. I feel like he is not just security but a trusted friend, so he probably does not feel so closed in with him unlike how some celebrity would feel with a faceless security always following them around.

I did wonder if Jerome would eventually leave him alone...but as long as the stage door crowd is there specifically for him, I think he will need him.

Can't wait for some more post show reports...

oh I think I will go see if I can find reports elsewhere...

How lucky am I? I tuned into the pre-Superbowl coverage just in time to hear the announcer say that Paula Abdul's new music video is coming up after the break. Oh joy.... :rolleyes:

ETA: Oh my. It's obviously still the 80's in Paula's universe. :lmaosmiley-1:

How lucky am I? I tuned into the pre-Superbowl coverage just in time to hear the announcer say that Paula Abdul's new music video is coming up after the break. Oh joy.... :rolleyes:

Oh darn! And just when I have to go wash my hair!

Jut got off the phone with my Spamalot buddy for next weekend. After much debate, we are sticking to our original plan of only going to the Saturday matinee, rather than also doing Saturday night - and maybe Sunday. Instead of spending all that money this weekend, we're probably going to add a stay-over weekend in early March - something to tide us over until March 30th.

I need to get my taxes done so I can get my refund back so I can do April too!

I hate to say it but Clay coming out to sign autographs at the stage door makes him a sitting duck. ANYONE could be in that throng of people, including, but not limited to, the fricking nutbars who hang out at the Fraud Squad and JP's swamp. I don't think the other actors in the show have ever been seen in the tabloids or have their faces plastered all over the internet, tv or magazines.

I think Clay is a target every time he goes out in public and that's so very, very sad to me. I'm sure it isn't one of the "perks" of his job.

I wouldn't put it past any of the crazies to try to hurt him. I wouldn't put it past some of the OTT to try to grab or pull him into the crowd...let's face it, it's happened once already.

Thanks, jj, you just scared the shit out of me. I cannot entertain the idea of some nutjob hurting Clay without my heart rate going up. My feelings for him are in no way 'motherly' or maternal, but I do care about him as a person, too (as opposed to just a sex object :cryingwlaughter: ). I've also wondered about Jerome's continued presence and pretty much came to the conclusion that Clay just needed a familiar face around him for awhile. It hadn't entered my mind that there might be some malignant reason that would require Jerome's presence. :(

ETA: Oh my. It's obviously still the 80's in Paula's universe. :lmaosmiley-1:

I was blessed enough to witness that performance, too. Someone tell Pauler that top hats are sooooo 80's. And she's waaaaay too old to pull off that number.

Sorry, BW, I've become very wary of the craziness of some of the haters. I wouldn't put a thing past any of them.

Jerome might very well be there because he is a familiar face and Clay likes him around...I hope that's all it is, quite frankly.

Someone tell Pauler that top hats are sooooo 80's. And she's waaaaay too old to pull off that number.

Whew! Fortunately, I'm wearing a bedazzled baseball cap with my halter-top sequined jumpsuit to work tomorrow instead of a top hat. I wouldn't want to dress in a manner that would be age-inappropriate or out-of-fashion.

RAWK ON DUDES! :headbangerf:

Fom CV:

Report from toni7babe after the show -

The show was great, great crowd, great audience response, standing ovation blah blah blah..

Lots of people at the stage door - Clay was there a good long time - black jacket, jeans, hair was great. She and Invisible have lots of pics and some video.

The important and new and different part of this report -

toni7babe was right up at the barrier so she asked Clay a question - "Clay, do you have a favorite part of the show? What's your favorite scene?" He initially replied "I'll have to think about that. I'm not sure." But she wasn't taking that for an answer and said "Oh, come on. I bet you have a favorite scene."

Clay's reply? "The part where I get to lay down for 5 minutes and rest."

Someone tell Pauler that top hats are sooooo 80's. And she's waaaaay too old to pull off that number.

Whew! Fortunately, I'm wearing a bedazzled baseball cap with my halter-top sequined jumpsuit to work tomorrow instead of a top hat. I wouldn't want to dress in a manner that would be age-inappropriate or out-of-fashion.

RAWK ON DUDES! :headbangerf:

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Well shoot....I thought top-hats were high style at the moment. Maybe it's just the person wearing them that makes the difference?

Ret_SpamalotClay173.jpg

I personally do not think that Clay lives his life in fear....but I also think that Clay knows there's ALWAYS a risk for him to go out in public. It's a sad fact of life. That's where Jerome comes in, for me at least. I also do think that Jerome is a constant in his life as a good friend. In other words, I think Jerome is worthy every penny for Clay.

Clay's reply? "The part where I get to lay down for 5 minutes and rest."

BWAH!!!