#27: Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!

Couch Tomato

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly
    • He goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway.
    • What is it about Clay? Damned if I know.
    • Good Lord, is that man cute.
    • Sir Aiken - a triumph in SPAMalot!
    • He's a triumph in the show.
    • The man's a joy magnet!
    • Reach into that golden grab bag!
    • His smile just lights up everything.

One thing I noticed about the article (If anyone cares about my opinion)

He said: We are HOPING to have it out ABOUT May 6th. So that to me is still a tentative date.

However, Clay has been consistently saying May in all of his interviews, so hopefully this will stand true.

Excellent point! He didn't say, 'we are definitely putting out this album on May 6th.' Of course, most of us here understand that May is a general timeframe, and that May 6th is not set in stone. But having an actual hopeful date does make it seem that the album will at least be out in May!

Heee, KAndre, it's so true about the inevitable reactions of fans. For me, knowing that the reactions are inevitable makes them a bit more palatable, because I'm prepared for them. I'll just stick around here and EEEEEEEEEEEE!! about the album and about Clay. I'm sure we'll get some hawt pics, too, whether they're blond or chestnut!

My two fondest wishes for this go around: A Saturday Night Live appearance and a real music video.

My two fondest wishes during this cyce of album promo: That the words "mandate" and "kickass" are retired permanently from the fandom's vocabulary.

:fca:

Here is my wish for the new album:

I want what he wants.

That's all I can ask for, really. I'm his fan, and I'm willing to go along with anything he throws at me.

BTW, this wish also goes for any future tour, any future album, and his entire career. You'll probably hear me say this about 20,000 more times in the next few years.

Yep, that's what I want too. This time, I want the music to reflect his choice and vision. I hope the reviews are at least objective. I want the world to cut him some slack and stop using him as a punchline. Respect, baby, this time I want him to get it. Just writing this is making me all shmoopie.

Hell, if it's an artist my child knows I like, he'll get it for me on Mother's Day (even if I already have it). And a Mother's Day bump in CDs sales of any kind make sense to me (as most younger people I know do downloads - legally or illegally); purchase of physical media does tend to show up in that generation gap.

May 6th? Looks like a perfectly reasonable date to me, since Clay (who is the one putting the CD out) threw it out there - at this point he has a better idea of what it takes to get an album out the door (barring unexpected surprises) than anyone else besides RCA itself. The Spamlot push has made much more of a national impact than I expected - hell, I don't discuss Clay with my office mates (mainly because in general I have no interest in talking to them anyway) and several of them have brought up Clay in Spamalot (especially the "dissing" of the show). Even though Lycos is one of the minor search engines now, that ranking didn't come from just a local media blitz (and New York local tends toward the national side anyway). If it changes, I still won't care either, because I see a CD dropping for my boy at some point in the future, and I have every faith that there will be a large number of songs I like on it, originals, covers, whatever. I don't really care. I like the way the boy sings just about anything. Except Open Arms. And that frickin' mouse song. And Here, There and Everywhere. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the CD or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually there will be a national tour (even with limited stops) and me 'n my peeps will be hitting a couple of shows. In the first five rows. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the tour or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually he will get over his blond phase, and go back to long chestnut locks. I have every faith that he will wear some totally fucked up outfit that will turn out to be either the bleeding edge of fashion or he hit a local Goodwill chapter again. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the hair or an outfit, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that he will say something to totally piss off a small but vocal segment of the fandom. I have every faith that the quiet majority will be perfectly fine. I have every faith that occasionally I will be a member of the small but vocal minority.

you are so right about the fans reactions.....I can see it now...

I hope you reconsider about H,T and E.. I love the way he sang that final night !!! Just lovely.

I can't wait to have my hands on new music and soak it all in with my good headphones and forget the world around me for that moment.

I want what he wants.

That's all I can ask for, really. I'm his fan, and I'm willing to go along with anything he throws at me.

BTW, this wish also goes for any future tour, any future album, and his entire career. You'll probably hear me say this about 20,000 more times in the next few years.

Hee, you are me. I guess I'm just easy, I don't think about or worry about what kind of promotion he'll get or where he'll appear or anything like that. I just want him to be happy. He always makes me happy.

It was great to hear from someone who works in that business day in, day out, about how wonderful Clay was to everyone. He mentioned he is doing so well he has no doubt he will be on Broadway again. That sure made the start of our Clay weekend wonderful. He even mentioned how impressed he was with Jerome. He said he's seen other bodyguards around but they just sit in corners and play with their cell phones. When Jerome is not with Clay, he sits back and reads books. The man talked to him about the books and offered to get him some of his own because it was stuff he himself read. This all says a lot about Clay and who he has around him.

Love this.

Faith? Hey, I know! How about George Michael's 'Faith'? :lilredani:

No?

How 'bout "Father Figure"? :lilredani:

No, scratch that one. heh.

Aw, hell....let's go back to that ole' tried and true ditty, "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"! :00000462: :devil:

Oh, look! I just found a smilie for Clay's "Bring Out the Dead!" scene! :dead-1:

I don't worry about it but I think about it. Part of the fun for me.

Now, back to the themes...I agree with ...was it Cotton ...that when he's saying themes it might not be so specific but that whacko Michael Jackson songs kept popping into my head...not for their style or anything but the what he sings about. Too bad about him, he's a damn genius.

Besides the fact that I can't get Somebody's watching me out of my head -- oh and I have to watch that video when I get hom, but Leave Me Alone also is rolling around up there as well as Heal theWorld. I don't know if he will touch specific things like the dark side of celebrity or the needs in this world at all or just teh importance of family being where you find it or something less specific but eeeeeeeeee I just love that he's talking about it before hand. I think people would definitely be interested to hear what he has to say. Geeze, I'm late already. Hopefully getting to work won't be as eventful as yesterday when the bright lights of the Heat came bearing down on my ass. heee

bwah..... oh man I wish could stay home and play!!

Couchie, I like the idea of speculating about the theme and possible songs that could fit in it. I see a possibility for songs that could have double meaning, like starting out with something like "Second Best" and including "You Think You Know Me" (just making up titiles) could fit in.

Oh, and bottle I'm with you on the mandate and kickass thing, but to borrow a phrase from KAndre, "I have every faith......."

I want what he wants.

That's my wish, as well.

And - no Couchie, it wasn't me talking about themes - but I'll take the credit if you want me to! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I agree. Does that count?

I think Clay does the best he can to give a little bit (hee) while still keeping details close to the vest. I think he learned - from the DS interview to more recent "twists" - that every word, sneeze and fart from him are discussed somewhere; analyzed, interpreted, or completely transformed! And - as others have said - as much as he claims to hate surprises himself, he sure loves to surprise other people!!!

I am just tha-rilled to see an interview about the CD rather than a postscript tacked onto a SPAM interview!!!

EEEEEE !!! 20 days till I leave for NYC!!!

Okay - back to work. HAHA! Not really work, but working on a craft project for my local gals for Saturday! I just hope I finish in time to also cook some sort of SPAM dish to take!

Hee

We're having a SPAMSLAM!

Latah!

ETA:

I didn't like the picture they used in the People article!

Surely they could have found a better one!

Like the loverly rooftop or the loverly Romantic Lead photos???

:hubbahubba:

I usually hate anticipatory angst (MINE, not yours) (well, yours too), but in the case of the CD, I don't think I care to know what's on it or what the exact theme is in advance because the sheer JOY of spending 10 minutes getting the cellophane off of the CD case, downloading it into the computer for 5 minutes, and loading it onto my IPod for another 10 minutes before I can finally hear it just leaves me breathless!

Life is so complicated, but so worth it.

Sorry to be post-hoing and totally off topic, but this (probably politically incorrect) Gyne-obstretrican answering machine is SO funny.

Anwering machine message

Interrupting this much more fun topic to ask for some positive vibes to be sent my way. Just got some vibes myself at the workplace that it might be quite smart of me to look for another job. No direct request or specific thing---just more confirmation of a sneaking feeling that 'the writing's on the wall' , you know?

Can you say "being set up for failure"?

I thinkyacan! :unsure:

Losing my job would not only put us in the sights of various creditors who've been breathing down our necks, but would obviously jeopardize any and all plans to DO CLAY in NYC (or anywhere else, for that matter)....

And honestly, I'm not sure THAT is something I could deal with at all. :cry4:

Sorry to be post-hoing and totally off topic, but this (probably politically incorrect) Gyne-obstretrican answering machine is SO funny.

Anwering machine message

Where in the page is the answering machine message? I have a cold and it's gone to my chest and I really need a laugh this morning.

Gibby Posted Today, 12:07 PM

ET and Insider have picked up basically the same article put online by People, but unfortunately they're not using the best picture. Here are links for those who are interested:

Insider Abum Story

ET Album Story

While it is good that the publicity is rolling for Clay's new CD, why oh why do they have to use such an unflattering picture? How does this work anyway? Don't his PR people have anything to say about what photo is used?

ETA Does EW have a history of giving lukewarm or bad reviews of Clay?

Spamalot recap (with stage door video) from bigappleforclay from getclayaiken, with her permission:

So, I got an impromptu offer for a front row seat last night. I caved. This is one show you just cannot get tired of, and I don't mean just Clay.

He burst thru the stage door, playfully shoving out David Hibbard saying "Here's David Hibbard!" It was very cute, and he really looked happy at that moment. It seems he has a wonderful camaraderie with his fellow cast mates.

Picture1-2.png

Picture2-2.png

During the show, my seat mate (who's a young 20-something), let out an "Oh My God!" which startled me but I didn't think anyone heard it. Here's what Clay had to say. LOL, after that I was too scared to talk to him.

th_snippet.jpg

He only did 3/4 of the autograph line, and we're guessing he went in early because there was a tour of the stage being conducted for a large group of high school-ish girls. Tom Deckman chats a lot with the fans; he said on the weekends he goes home between shows to feed his dog. Hannah gave out stage makeup tips.

___

As a regular EW reader, I'd say that review was pretty darn good. They're harsh on practically everyone, unless you're considered "REALLY HIP!" *barf* But yet, I still read the mag....frequently they have good snark, and there's a good cover story on Tyra Banks this week.

{{{{{{muski}}}}}}

And, since I tend to do this for poor wayward unflattering-to-most pictures (such as the faux-hawk picture)...

*pets silly UNICEF picture and calls it "pretty"*

*g*

Interrupting this much more fun topic to ask for some positive vibes to be sent my way. Just got some vibes myself at the workplace that it might be quite smart of me to look for another job. No direct request or specific thing---just more confirmation of a sneaking feeling that 'the writing's on the wall' , you know?

Losing my job would not only put us in the sights of various creditors who've been breathing down our necks, but would obviously jeopardize any and all plans to DO CLAY in NYC (or anywhere else, for that matter)....

If anyone who is setting you up is male (or lesbian would work too), go to Human Resources and file a claim of sexual harrassment. Then, it's damn near impossible to fire you.

Oh, no, Muski!! I'm definitely sending positive vibes your way, and not just 'cuz I want to thud and scream together in NY at Spamalot. This wouldn't be good for you, and I'm genuinely concerned.

:hugs-1:

So they liked his guards, his Brother Maynard, and his 'big number'. What else is there? :cryingwlaughter: Idiots just can't give Clay his due - I think their heads would probably explode. I was a day-one subscriber to EW, but I cancelled my subscription a year ago. Not just because of Clay but because they changed so much over the years. Once they became too-cool-for-school, they took on that air of superiority that so many bastions of entertainment commentary do. The one that says if you enjoy/admire something they deem unworthy, you are a fool, ripe for mocking. I fart in their general direction! (and I do agree, for EW this is a glowing review. Ought to have read what they said about Julia Roberts!)

As for the ET/Insider/People photos... you know what would be worse? If ET/Insider/People didn't care that Clay had a new CD coming out. It's all good!

ETA: Muski, I feel for you. I most definitely know how you're feeling. I hope things work out for the best for you. (((hugs)))

Claygasm, you're probably right. Music Week probably made up those statistics and my friend smoked marijuana 30 years ago and probably fried his brain.

I'm SURE you are absolutely correct that NO one gives his/her mother a pop CD for Mother's Day.

You see how agreeable I am.

You're wrong Wanda. My DS has given me Rob Thomas, Ryan Cabrera and SomebodyINeverHeardOf for Mother's Day, none of which I thought I would like, but did after listening to them. He would never give me a Clay CD for Mother's Day though, because he'd know I already had 7 copies! :cryingwlaughter:

I'll need actual sex to like HT&E,

There was nothing wrong with Here, There & Everywhere except for the suit! And I would need actual sex with Clay to like that suit. The song though....I liked it best with my eyes closed. Vocally he sounded great, IMO.

ET and Insider have picked up basically the same article put online by People, but unfortunately they're not using the best picture. Here are links for those who are interested:

Insider Abum Story

ET Album Story

:Ahh: Why didn't you warn us which picture it was?