#27: Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!

Couch Tomato

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly
    • He goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway.
    • What is it about Clay? Damned if I know.
    • Good Lord, is that man cute.
    • Sir Aiken - a triumph in SPAMalot!
    • He's a triumph in the show.
    • The man's a joy magnet!
    • Reach into that golden grab bag!
    • His smile just lights up everything.

ldyjocelyn
That Linda Huber drawing is stunning. My husband looked over my shoulder last night and saw it; he said "photoshop?" I said "no way." He was impressed. *g*

It kind of makes me sad that this is the same thing Clay said when he saw one of her drawings. It's like she doesn't get credit for her talent because we live in a time when it's possible to mimic "hand drawn" with software. Hopefully, someone disabused Clay of his understandable assumption. Send hubby to her website if you really want to impress him. It shows her work in progress and it's really very amazing. Um. And often tasty. :)

In Knoxville, I saw Clay's reaction to one of her drawings. He signed it, but as he was signing it, he said he didn't believe she drew them by hand, that she did them with graphics software of some kind.

But - I wonder - how would you feel if someone were making all this money off of your image??? I don't know. Just wondering if that, in and of itself, kind of bugs him, too. I mean - does he get a cut? Isn't his image copyrighted?

Cotton

But - I wonder - how would you feel if someone were making all this money off of your image??? I don't know. Just wondering if that, in and of itself, kind of bugs him, too. I mean - does he get a cut? Isn't his image copyrighted?

Hm. I actually hadn't thought about it this way. And, come to think of it, her latest work is from a copyrighted photograph. Does the photographer know? Does he get a cut? *scratches head* Yeah, that is a problem, alright. I just hadn't thought about it. Well, she is still very talented...and patient. I couldn't work on the same thing for weeks and weeks like that. Didn't someone donate one of her pictures to a BAF auction? Or am I thinking of the mosaic lady?

Thanks for the links, y'all. I'm looking for video more than audio, but will check out the audio, too. I have this big fat ipod and have hardly put a drop in the bucket of what it can hold.

And...EEEEEEEEEEE for Linda Loveland. Just had to repeat this here. IN.THE.RECORDING.STUDIO. I guess that would not be the one at Clay's home, eh? (Although that thought just excites me no end, y'all) Which means he's really, really, really been recording in NYC while working on Spamalot? How wonderful...because by all reports, he has been in GREAT voice all this time. 's wonderful, 's marvellous!!!

Hm. I actually hadn't thought about it this way. And, come to think of it, her latest work is from a copyrighted photograph. Does the photographer know? Does he get a cut? *scratches head* Yeah, that is a problem, alright. I just hadn't thought about it. Well, she is still very talented...and patient. I couldn't work on the same thing for weeks and weeks like that. Didn't someone donate one of her pictures to a BAF auction? Or am I thinking of the mosaic lady?

The mosaic lady is ClayIzzaQT and yes, she has donated more than a few times, I think. Clay loves to find Raleigh in all her mosaics! :)

I don't know about Huber. There probably have been some of her pics donated by fans.

And, right after I posted, I realized I had forgotten to ask about the photographer. I know fans pics have been used a lot. I don't know if she routinely asks or not. I think I'd want credit if she used one of my pics.

(That will never happen! I'm never in the first 5 rows, y'all!!!)

JMO

Yeah, she draws pretty, but we get mad at people selling stuff on eBay without permission of TC or of videographers. Isn't this the same thing?

I don't want to be Linda Loveland, I just want to be her right hand woman. I'll carry her stuff. I'll pick up anything she happens to drop on the floor and lick it clean before handing it back to her. I'll even clean her baby's poopy diapers! I'll put her dirty, nasty, used Kleenexes right in my hand to take to the trash if it will get me that close to Clay!!!

I can't wait for new Clay music!!! Whatever he's singing, I'm buying!

He's never disappointed me yet!

I asked this on another board, but got no response...maybe youse guys can help me? I know a lot of effort has gone into compiling "best of" series from concerts. Does anyone know how far back these go? And also where to find what we DO have of these? I haven't been collecting them, but think I'd like to go back in time a bit. AI rewind has me nostalgic for another look at the man at the beginning of this amazing ride. Help a sistah out? :)

goldarngirl and I have "best of" video series for certain cities, dating back as far as the Jukebox Tour, the JNT05, the JNaT06, and last summer's DCAT (or SRHP tour if you prefer). We are currently working on the Kalamazoo CITH. They are in all the vaults.....here is a link to the goldarngirl directory on CU:

http://www.clackunlimited.com/clack/Montag...es/goldarngirl/

Or you can have a peek at our own pages:

http://www.goldarngirl.com

However, if you are looking for "best of" entire concert series (as opposed to individual venues), Aflack's Road To Independence Series is great, as well as Green Eyes' Best of Solo Tour and Green Eyes' Best Of Joyful Noise Tour. So all in all, I think all the solo tours are covered!

ETA: Another "best of" entire concert series - Best of JBT by Tsunamimommy.

ETAA: A whole bunch of "best of"s by Scruffy13!

You know what...I honestly am not mad at her for doing them because they are beautiful and Clay can easily put a stop to her if he wanted to. There is a bunch of illegal crap going on when it comes to Clay's image so I really hope she doesn't get sngled out. I have about 4 of her drawings. They are gorgeous and I guess I never thought about whether they are authentic. I guess I don't care because they are so gorgeous. The Good News one remains my favorite. She really captured him in that one.

LdyJ, IIRC the woman who put together the CD release party in Hollywood, did it quickly and on the fly, got teh Virgin people involved which resulted in the Virgin signing. So it's all good. I'm kinda glad she's taking the bull by the horn and just doing it and not waiting for instruction. I don't actually care for RCA's involvement because it's too much sitting around and waiting on corporate people to hand you stuff like posters. I hate beauracracies of any kind and half the time what we create is so much better anyway.

If the date is what Clay hopes then I would miss out on a party with my home town peeps. Since ATDW I'm so over the "big" party so doubt I would go to one if I'm in NYC. If it changes and I'm home i'd probably go to see all my friends.

Happy Friday

Couchie, I totally believe they are "authentic" in the sense that they are actual pencil drawings (actually, prints of an actual pencil drawing). Her tutorials are fascinating.

Anyway! Thank you, luckiest for the links! I could NOT remember who had compiled all these...but I KNEW they existed! :)

Hee, welcome. Make sure you go back to see all my edits! :)

I really enjoyed the day-of ATDW release party I attended in Sterling Heights, MI, complete with mass exodus to buy the album at midnight. I would definitely go back for another one this time around (or head the other direction, to Toronto, which hosted another "release" party, the week after!)

I used to be an artist. I say 'used to' because I haven't picked up a pencil in 15 years, but I used to sketch portraits of friends' children, people would ask me to sketch their house for them, etc. My son does, too, and his work is so exquisitly shaded it looks like a photograph. So I'm familiar with what Linda Huber does. The photograph might belong to some one else, but the heart and soul of a hand-drawn picture is purely her own. I really don't view it as a copyright infringement, but that's probably just me. :)

My cynical nature is kicking in this morning, because I rolled my eyes at the announcement of the CD Release party in LA. I'm sure it will probably be fun; no doubt about it actually. But I think for this album, I'm just going to go to WalMart at midnight, pick up my copy, and take it home with me. Listen to it once, come here to FCA and post my initial reactions, listen to it again, and then go to bed, dreaming the entire night of Clay's wonderful voice. I guess I don't feel the need to "share" this experience with so many people this time; I'd rather it just be "me and Clay." And then you guys after we're finished and I'm smoking a cigarette.

I pre-ordered a copy of ATDW from Sony/BMG for the magnet ... but the best part was receiving the CD on Saturday before the official release date, and the copy I ordered from Amazon arrived on Monday 9/18, which were very good things considering that I went to Walmart at mid-morning on 9/19 and they didn't have it yet.

I doubt I'd be interested in a release party, but if there's another CD signing at Virgin, before a Kimmel appearance, that's another story. Couchie, maybe Clay will do an official CD signing extravaganza at the Virgin Megastore in Times Square while you're in NY, to be followed by a Letterman appearance that day. What a day for a daydream.

And now for something completely different *g*

Thanks to all for the words and hugs and most excellent vibes sent my way. I hereby announce that today is the first day of the rest of my life; and that wherever you go, there you are; and that I really do like lemonade, but I've been remiss in making any lately; and that I actually LOVE Bloody Marys and might have one this weekend; and that you find what you're looking for so be careful that you want what you're missing; and...

all that stuff.

Now. Let a smile be your umbrella and life is just a bowl of cherries and...(somebody STOP me! :bigemo_harabe_net-24: )

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Now. Let a smile be your umbrella and life is just a bowl of cherries and...(somebody STOP me! :bigemo_harabe_net-24: )

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Don't forget...always look on the bright side of life! Hee. Gibby...jinx!

I think, according to Linda's website, she herself has donated an original drawing to the BAF for auction. I think her stuff is beautiful, but I do also think that there's a very very very fine line with her stuff (and almost any clack out there, for that matter) and copyright issues. That's me, the librarian. But couchie is right, Clay himself could easily stop that one; she's pretty public with it, but yet she's had no complaints. I call that a "good thing" myself.

couchie, that's cool to hear about the last album party. I think so much of it for me (and I'll add an "unfortunately" here) is the way everything the last time was plotted and planned and more plotted and more planned, and frankly for me, it just got to be too much. I also think the last time so much of it was created in order to get an "in" with Clay and his gang of advisors (totally IMO) and that just turned me off.

You know, it's really hard to turn off feelings when they've got a "history" attached to them. I know that so much of my feelings about Clay are frequently tainted by some of the stuff I've seen and experienced in this fandom. It makes me quite sad....and yet they are something I cannot totally turn off either. I was having a bit of a hard time the other night when the People magazine story broke; everyone was EEEEEEEEing (as was their right) and I was thinking to myself "I'll eeeeeeeee, but I hope people don't place their hopes so high that if something doesn't happen, the fall will be great." I really feel this board is pretty good at doing that kind of thing, keeping expectations in check. But I'm pretty sure there are others that will feel personally hurt if the album doesn't come out on May 6, or if the album doesn't sell a million in the first week, or whatever.

I love dearly all you people who can dream big for Clay, I truly do. But sometimes my German Lutheran reserved nature comes out, you know?

Sorry, that turned into a mini-rant. I'm tired; it's been a long week at work. Fortunately, tonight I'm going to see Brad Paisley in concert, and that will help me a great deal. That man sings funny country songs (my favorite is "Alcohol"; video is here), and he's cute to boot.

OK, time to get a move on. They upped the smow amount from 4 inches (which is drivable over). Must shovel before the sleet comes. Now I can sympathize with you of the witer areas.

I am not exactly ready for a CD party yet. I still don't want to hear the music, I don't wantt o hear the complaints, I just want to live in my little bubble until it is released, and then I probably want to listen to it myself. I need more peace.

Heee, ldyj, jinx indeed!

I absolutely think it's okay to be more reserved about the album news. The album very well may not come out in May. It's good that we are able to take things in stride at FCA, and not get too bent out of shape if/when things change.

Hey, I didn't know that your background is German Lutheran! Mine is, too, 100%! I still go to a Lutheran church, but a muuuch more liberal one than the church I was raised in.

Muski, don't forget this one: Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans!

OK, time to get a move on. They upped the smow amount from 4 inches (which is drivable over). Must shovel before the sleet comes. Now I can sympathize with you of the witer areas.

I am not exactly ready for a CD party yet. I still don't want to hear the music, I don't wantt o hear the complaints, I just want to live in my little bubble until it is released, and then I probably want to listen to it myself. I need more peace.

Playbiller, may I humbly suggest you stay close to FCA. All the nasty scar tissue that built up from the battles over the mass paranoid delusions of 2006 have dissolved away since I came here to play. I feel fresh and clean again. LOVE YOU PEOPLE!

And I miss certain ones of you who haven't posted here in a few months ... and you know who you are!

Since I'm sure that Clay has signed a whole lot of those Huber drawings, I imagine if he were concerned about copyright, he would speak up. I think that she is really talented and I have no problem with her making money off of Clay's image, but I'd be more impressed if her drawings were from non-copyrighted photos because they do look almost copied and thus not so original. She's so talented. It would be great if she drew some pictures that were less ubiquitous.

OOlsee

a footnote to luckiest1's suggestions. Aflack's Independence Tour series is lots of fun as well as being an excellent Best of.

It seems that she has not done any new montages for a while, which is a pity, all are good and a couple I'd recommend are The One and Only and I Survived Asshat. These are available at CU.

In 2006 she put out Block Party....I wasn't around for that party where all the boards got together to celebrate Clay and she made a montage of people's favourite photos and video clips. I looked around for it but it isn't available any more.

from CB mammat53

I am back! It was Awesome!

I have some very sad news for the North Carolina Hoodie lovers.

Tuesday night whilst Clay was signing my Playbill be dropped the sharpie down the front of him. He loudly proclaimed "Oh Crap!", and fumble to retreve the sharpie and my playbill from his chest.. Then said "I won't be able to wear this again" My autograph is unique it shows the slippage :)

He autographed himself..

Hope there is video.

:laugh2:

Yes, Linda Huber's drawings are a double copyright infringement. My squawk is more with the photographer's rights than with Clay's. As the daughter of an artist, it was constantly drilled into me the difference bewtween copying - anything a photograph, another painting, a postcard, a Disney character, anything that is not yours from inception, is making "copy art" not an original. The composition belongs to the original artist. It's just visual plagarism. I could go on forever on the topic, but I'm sitting in the Cincy airport trying to get to Houston and my laptop battery is low so you are spared a rant.

ETA ALL photographs, as well as paintings are automatically copyright, even if the artist doesn't file papers. I'me not sure about other orignal crafts - woodworking, pottery etc. but I am sure on those two.

Bringing the text from the CH (it's from the Associated Press so it should show up everywhere) Wheeeeeeeee!:

Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly

Let's clear things up right away: Clay Aiken can handle supremely silly.

That's not an inconsiderable talent when you are appearing in something as daffy as "Monty Python's Spamalot," the madcap medieval musical that has just added the "American Idol" alum to its cast.

We knew Aiken could sing. "Idol," television's favorite trial-by-fire, proved that. So it was only natural that Broadway, eager for new faces that might sell tickets, would call — just as it did for Fantasia, Frenchie Davis, Constantine Maroulis and others from "Idol."

But don't go expecting a star turn. Aiken is a team player — and that's meant as a compliment. The ingratiating performer fits seamlessly into the extended high jinks of "Spamalot," which has been running at the Shubert Theatre since March 2005.

The guy gets the goofy humor that is the Python trademark and goes with the flow, most prominently when he is portraying the perpetually petrified Sir Robin. It's one of three roles he plays in the musical.

Aiken also exudes the physical buffoonery that underlines the cartoonlike nature of the characters and their quest to find the Holy Grail. He radiates a delightful benign bewilderment. What's more, for someone born and raised in North Carolina, Aiken does a credible British accent.

And the rest of the production, directed by Mike Nichols, holds up quite nicely, too. The tale, concocted by "Python" legend Eric Idle, is loosely based on the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," and film buffs will recognize some of their favorite bits from the film. Idle also wrote the lyrics and shares credit with John Du Prez for the music.

If there is anything approaching show-stopper status in this "Spamalot," it's the performance by Hannah Waddingham as the Lady of the Lake. The statuesque Waddingham, who originated the role in the London production, is sensational. She's funny, sexy and blessed with one of those powerhouse voices that really shakes up the score.

But then Nichols and choreographer Casey Nicholaw have kept the musical in tiptop shape. From Jonathan Hadary's robust King Arthur to the preening Galahad of Christopher Sieber (an original New York cast member who recently returned to the show) to Rick Holmes' sexually fluid Lancelot, the cast gets a high amount of laughs from low comedy.

And then there's Tom Deckman as the hilariously fey Prince Herbert and David Hibbard as the aptly named Patsy, singing and tapping his way through the show's best known moment of musical cheer, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." This is ensemble comic lunacy at its most inspired.

But attention Aiken fans. He appears in "Monty Python's Spamalot" only through May 4.

Whoa! So I was going to hook up my ipod to my computer speakers here at work but then decided I would just find an internet radio station----some sort of soft pop/jazz/smooth stuff---so that I could concentrate better. (heh....I tend to pay too much attention to the music when it's Clay voice, you know?)

Anyhoo....I'm just sitting here, minding my own business doing project timelines when I realize that I'm singing "A Thousand Days"! At first I had this weird feeling---Did I hook up my ipod after all?---and then...THEN!

I realized that the song was playing on this internet radio station! OMG! This has never happened to me before! Sure, when it's an Idol station or whatnot, but just any ole' randomly selected online station that I picked just because of the name of the station--"Planet Hits Radio--Smooth Sounds"...

Woo hoo! Clay is one smooth sound baybee and he rocks my planet! :clap:

:cryingwlaughter:

Of course, now that I heard that voice, I'm going to hook up my ipod after all...I can never get enough of Clay Aiken, donchaknow.... :hubbahubba:

ETA:! :clap::clap::clap: for the Intl Herald Tribune review! Keep em coming! woo hoo! :DoClay:

ETA again: I bet this is the part that Clay likes best:

But don't go expecting a star turn. Aiken is a team player — and that's meant as a compliment
It IS a compliment...and it's true. I love him.