American Idol

ShelleyC

From USA Today (via CH):

American Idol is returning to DVD, this time in triplicate. Due Nov. 22 are three compilations of highlights from the show's first four seasons: The Best of American Idol, Seasons 1-4 ($20); The Worst of American Idol, Seasons 1-4 ($20); and a limited-edition gift set combining the two ($35).

Segments to be featured in the collections have yet to be determined, says Pete Kalhan of Fremantle Media, co-producer and licensor of American Idol.

"From some of the funniest auditions we've ever seen to the most inspiring performances, these DVDs will have it all," he says.

The only previous DVD incarnation of American Idol came out in October 2002 from Bayside Distribution.

Not to mention that if Jim Verraros is in it, I won't buy it on principle. Hate that asshole.

I have a full set of AI2 DVDs made for me by a friend anyways... also, I don't have a burning desire to give 19E anymore money for very limited Clay (that I probably already have)... ;-)

At this point I don't have any more desire to have AI2 stuff. Like Shelley, I have a set made by a generous friend. I'm interested in Clay now, not Clay 2 1/2 years ago. AI will be getting no more money from me!

I'm with SkateJoy, I've got all the AI stuff I want and in the proportion I want - 95% Clay, 5% everything else and that includes foreign idols (and there are some tasty foreign idols - not Ryan though. I have no urge to taste him. Or Kalan.)

I think the last DVD was a total washout for Clay fans since it only had one sonf for Clay I think...

Frankly in entertainment value, the only time I consistently enjoyed the music in AI was during season 2. Season 3 is one they should erase from the records entirely...didn;t watch season 1 but the only ones I think had any talent tehre was Tamyra, Kelly and Justin...AI4, started with promise but turned out to be a dud as well.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. Why can't they just let it out by seasons, like other shows? Even reality shows like SURVIVOR get dvds by the season. I still have (I can't believe that I do) original taped on the air videotapes of The top 5, the top 4, and the finale from season 2. I dig them out every once in a while, but it was before we got comcast, so some of them aren't great reception.

Hey I almost forgot we have this thread....

I want to revive this and start talking about AI5...

I think I have made my peace with AI. I am watching it now more as a reality TV than a talnet show. If along the way I do find some gems like Paris, Kellie and KAtherine...then that is just a plus. I am not taking anythign ont ehre seriously at all.

Yes the humiliation factor is front and center this year...but come on...coming into the audition in a TUX and cardboard posters...its pretty obvious it was done to get some attention for these guys. Or putting on costumes, this show has been long enough that these people must know they were there to be ridiculed. So for me...if you come in with tons of makeup and dressed like a street walker...you are going to be treated accordingly.

There were a few people that I felt bad for. I felt bad for that guy they made into Mr. personality. I think the guy was just nervous and seemed really sweet. They made fun of him when he was jsut being himself.

I think that;s why I like Paris, Kellie and Katherine. They came as themselves...sweet young girls,with no gimmicks. Just their background stories. I hope they make it to top 12. But I definitely hope they won;t make these girls start fighting with each other and turning into bitchy teens for ratings. Their sweet natural selves will be enough, IMO.

Oh goody, another thread to post-ho in.

I am inordinately amused by the sudden resurgence of the Seamonkey love that is going on in his thread at TWoP. He can be pretty darn charming and appealing in that tiny, insecure guy way. I have to admit, he's been pretty amusing so far this season. ;)

First I'm finding Paula's opinions to be actually coherent this year, and now I feeling a little bitty spark of Seamonkey affection. Is this one of the signs of the apocalypse? :blink:

Oh, that just my own personal weirdness, Ansa.  To me, the man has a little bit of a simian quality about him, hence Seamonkey.  Dance, monkeyboy, dance!

Well I totally like it...but aren;t seamonkey's really dried shrimps? :)

Oh, that just my own personal weirdness, Ansa.  To me, the man has a little bit of a simian quality about him, hence Seamonkey.  Dance, monkeyboy, dance!

Well I totally like it...but aren;t seamonkey's really dried shrimps? :)

Well then, I guess that works too. :P

When one of my co-workers came in this morning, she asked me "You watch American Idol, don't you?" I tenatively answered "Yeah". She said "My nephew was telling me about some story.." I brace myself and get ready to spout my prepared answer. She continues "...about a couple of the contestants stealing a car." Silent sigh of relief from me. She was just curious about this set of chuckleheaded twins from the Atlanta audition and their legal problems. Nothing like a little light indentity theft (allegedly) to pique the interest of some record labels.

As a sidenote, the last paragraph of the article refers to the semi-finalists traveling back to Los Angeles last week-end. I had read on TWoP that the final 24 were being picked this week. Remember "The Chair" episode from last year? Unnecessary cruelty and fake tension at its finest.

moving some interesting comments on AI from main thread....

I like the idea of the watercooler thing.  I'm sure with all the "talent" (cough, cough) on AI5 this season, we should have plenty to talk about. 

Okay, I know my faults (very few, by the way, LOL), but I just DON'T get Taylor Hicks.  I liked his Joe Cocker, Ray Charles act the first time, but it is now grading on my last nerve.  Does anyone else agree or am I alone with this problem!!!  <_<

p.s.s. Please take the harmonica away from him 

georgiaclay, I just want to hear Taylor's voice, straight, without the theatrics and the facial tics.  I have listened to a couple of mp3s of his singing pre-AI, and he really does have a soulful voice.  Personally, I think his gray hair will be a great advantage to him, because it makes him distinctive.  I'm seeing quite a bit of buzz about him already.  Taylor may become one of those love him to death or hate him and want him off the show yesterday polarizing contestants.  Where have I experienced that before?  (Hey, does that count as Clay content? 

Anyway, I just want to find my "pony" to root for this season, and I'm not sure I've seen it yet. Taylor, maybe?  Paris? Maybe on the girls' side.  I need to see longer performances from each of them to make a judgement.

here is the Thread for general AI stuff for now. We can start AI5 discussions here. I will be posting here tonight as the show goes on...chat style...I hope others can join me. If it becomes really popular I can make a new forum for it it people want to discuss specific contestants. But I think for now we can stick to one thread.

Georgiaclay I agree about Taylor. I think his style is very specific. He is good with soul/blues...but I really need to see TAYLOR not Joe/ray wannabe. I also listened to some mp3...since I am not a big fan of that style...I do recognize the talent but not loving it yet. I do think he is one of the more likeable contestants.

Strangely enough I am more intrugued by the girsl...Katherine I think will be fantastic, and Kellie...I don;t know why I like the girl but she just seem so real...

Looks like they are still spinning AI as a scripted reality program with everything coming out. This morning Simon was on Ellen (why, Ellen, why? Well, we know she loves AI) Anyway he started talking up Ace and Kellie - so I do believe they are the chosen. If Ace wins, what does this mean to the other men - Bo, Constantine? I do not think this will affect Clay anymore then the men of AI4 affected him. But those guys may have some problem if they are going the cute guy, for the most part, win.

I wa watching AI1, thanks to Trekkietoo, who loaded all the episodes out there in megaloads. I was struck by something that I had thought to be true, but did not realize how true it was. Year 2, they were worked like dogs!

AI1 - 1 song a week through top 4, 2 songs a week top 3 and 3 songs top 3. Most weeks (not all) group songs with a single song, no choreography, commercials just quick talking. 1 compilation album. some clips of visiting a few places. 2 award shows and 1 red carpet and 1 magazine

AI2 - 1 song each up to top6. 2 songs top 5 /4 3 songs top 3/2

Group songs with choreography (not saying the dancing wa the best) every week, sometimes 2 or 3 songs. Singing commercials every week(requiring studio recording as well as filming).

1 compilation album, 2 singles. Every week they did something to be filmed for the show. Every single week.

AI3 - I think the solos were the same as AI2, but were allowed to repeat songs and performances.

They started with Group songs, but that became iffy as did the commercials, these people could not merge there styles. 3 times sang with guests - Donna Summer, Barry Manilow and Clay. Minimal Choreography. Not many visits for rec carpet, etc.

AI4 - had the same fix for solos as AI2, but longer show with the eliminations be stretched out more - so 3 extra songs in length. But were able to repeat songs/performances.

Started with group sings, turned into taking turns singing a line because they could not harmonize. Singing commercials, some did not feature them performing, but had puppets and something else another time.

1 commercial single and 1 compilation. I don't think there were as many clips of red carpets, etc.

I think is really understandable for AI and 19. I think they have now given up on developing the artist after the show...so just use these kids up to get ratings and who cares if their credibilty is shot. I hope it does not get too outrageous as to distract from the talent...

looks around quickly and starts singing "Oooooooooooone is the loneliest number...."

Eeek! I lied! I don't know if it's a new set - I do want to know why Seamonkey is wearing a tablecloth for a shirt...

What happened to "this is the greatest group EVAH! The other years SUCKED! The other year's winner wouldn't be allowed to lick the BOOTS of this year's perfection of contestants!"

I'm gonna have to leave in about an hour - I gotta MRI tonight.