#28: The man's a joy magnet!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. WEEEEEEEEEE How many mods does it take to put up a new thread title...and which one do you want?

• Winning people over all the time
    • More kool-aid for me, please.
    • WHERE'S THE SMUT???!!!!!
    • ....having a verra verra good time!
    • Things are progressing!
    • Hannah is My Hero
    • Be warned. He's quite lethally cute!
    • My pocket book is groaning but I'm happy. Sigh.
    • songs chosen by Clay
    • EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!
    • he's teasing us, ya'll!
    • Put the kiddies to bed; this is gonna get good.
    • Holy mother of GUH!!!!!!!
    • I don't give a s**t what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.
    • Did you know GUH was not an acceptable scrabble word?
    • He sings, he dances?he drinks tap water?
    • in my mind I will cheerfully add "all the way to the bank".
    • I'm just happy happy. What else can I say? shrug.gif Thanks fer the koolaid?

I have no real idea how this new thread title thingie works as all the real worker bees appear to have run off. Lives are overrated, I tell ya!

Which might leave me in charge.

Hmmmm.

Who's in here? I want some grapes and some loin-cloth garbed muscular young men to feed them to me. Stat!

And y'all hurry up and finish your Xmas recommendations - in cleaning today, I found my spork (with all previous DNA removed - HA HA!)

You're right, jamar! And she ran off as soon as we spotted her!

Anyhoo, who's getting me the grapes??!!?!?

Wait a minute - I think I remember the appropriate smiley!

:wasntme:

Wait - that's not it...

:bow28:

Better, better:

:woman:

Perfect!

:polly:

I see couchie down there!

Uh oh KAndre ...I was just about to do that...because honestly... I think all of the requests aren't actually in the thread so I have to do a search just to make sure we got them all.... You did good though!! So if I find a lot not in the thread I'm going to do a do over..well if I can figure that out. I'm sorry and thank you soooo much.

I'm not running..I'm not..heee I'm a bad bad admin. heee.

eta: ok sorry people...too many left out so I will redo. Big kiss to KAndre..I owe you 15 minutes back to your life!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

If Clay has included a religious-flavored or overtly religious song or two on this album, I will find out soon enough and, I'm sure, can better form an opinion THEN. Without first-hand knowledge of actual album contents, premature/revisited defensiveness and aggression about The Religion Issue amounts to so much scab-picking, if you'll pardon the analogy.

My bottom line? I have a great deal of faith in Clay and he has a huge well of good-will stored up with me. I do not, however, have a lot of good feelings for those who, now or during YWT-gate, turn/turned their criticism, mockery, objections to or defense of Clay's choices/stated beliefs into a personal attack on CLAY and/or his fans, religious or otherwise...

To me, a personal attack is closer to the actual definition of "intolerance" than merely expressing my opinion that something (including a belief system) seems silly, wrong, irrational, undesirable, harmful, offensive, or whathaveyou TO ME. I am not suppressing anyone's religious freedom just by expressing my opinions about faith in general and Christianity, specifically. And, I hope, vice-versa.

Quite frankly, y'all, I didn't enjoy YWT-gate the first time around because many people were behaving so...personally ugly...toward each other and toward Clay, which HURT my heart. It also became a real drag with so many folks grinding their views into the ground when they had already stated their positions MANY times. So, yeah, I'm sorry to see that divisive time/topic revisited now, with the mere release of a song list.

For those who don't know me well, let's just say...I have a radically different view of the issue NOW as a non-believer than I did at the time, as a believer.

And...regarding thread titles? There's a whole bunch of new nominations in the thread title suggestion thread, O Mistress...may you soon visit a poll upon us...in thy mercy.

I had no idea there was so much upset on the boards during the NAT about YWT. I attended one NAT concert, but was not on the boards at that time. From reading here this evening, I'm glad I wasn't because YWT was the one song that made the biggest impression on me during the concert. I thought he was incredibly brave to sing that during a pop concert and it literally brought me to tears. That moment was the beginning of my love affair with Mr. Aiken. I had absolutely no idea that there were message boards, although we were curious about all the people that seemed to know each other and all the fan regalia. It was another 4 or 5 months before I discovered the wealth of information on the internet. My point (yes there is one) is that although Clay may have lost fans over YWT, he gained at least one.

I just turned the lights (and computer) back on from

-- did anyone else observe??? It's not too late to turn the lights out for an hour!

couple things....

Isn't it likely that the OMWH CD ad in the Playbill will be there thru the 6th of May? And possibly even longer?

As for YWT, I was also surprised by many fans' reactions to it. My offer of a button based on a picture I took at one of the concerts was refused by one because it was taken during that song! A bit OTT in my book. While I'm not an overly religious person, I do consider myself "spititual" and that song is a very inspring song. I wasn't offended by it, and I didn't feel "preached to." I just loved the song, its power, the way Clay sang it, and it became one of my favorites.

and FWIW ---

THIS...........

omwh-promo1.jpg

man looks like a Greek god! (without a tunic!)

I noticed tho that Eric Ogden likes to take pix of people on the floor, and in the backs of cars! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I forgot to add.....

There were certain songs on ATDW I didn't like at first and totally avoided.

"Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" was one of them.... "Open Arms" was another.

And on MOAM, "Perfect Day" and "No More Sad Song" --- I love them all now!!

There's something about that on-the-floor picture of Clay - around his mouth - that reminds me of Harrison Ford. I have always loved him. There's just something about the almost smile that's reminiscent of HF to me. I'd do both of 'em . . .

if I were younger and more strength!

:cryingwlaughter:

Here is the question though, are fans askimg more of Clay than they have a right to ask? Is Clay being held to an impossible standard that does not allow him to fully express himself as he really is?

I think fans have a right to ask anything they want according to their preferences -- I also think Clay does exactly what he wants to do and when he wants to do it. There are vocal fans and quiet fans, such is life.

I have always been a HUGE fan of Barbra Streisand- never been lucky enough to see her perform in person though- but if I did, and she sang a song about her religious beliefs, I wouldn't be offended by that at all, nor would I feel that she had no right to sing them without a disclaimer or notice to anyone who might not be of the same faith. And yes, I even went to see YENTL! :cryingwlaughter: Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Well, have you ever heard Barbra sing Ave Maria? She does it better than anyone, IMO. I think most artists sing songs that they hope their audience/fans want to hear. She's had at least two Christmas albums.

I wasn't around at the time, but maybe Clay was being informed that fans loved the spiritual songs on his demo and would want him to sing a religious song in concert. I certainly don't know -- way before my time. I did a rideshare thing with a co-worker a few years ago and she listened to CCM religiously, no pun intended. Most of the time I couldn't understand why the songs were considered CCM since so many of them were inspirational and/or spiritual in a very generic sense, had contemporary production, and a rock beat. Some of them were actually heavy/hard rock.

Some of that stuff would have gone on mainstream rock stations in the 70's. Remember "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum? And I also recall "Are You Ready" by Pacific Gas & Electric! I'm certain there are many more if I search my brain, and they were on mainstream rock stations.

I just turned the lights (and computer) back on from Earth Hour -- did anyone else observe??? It's not too late to turn the lights out for an hour!

Yep, cha cha...I sat here in a dark house, lit only by my computer screen, for an hour...I thought that was pretty good for me, who usually has every light in the house on during the evening hours (don't like the dark :P)

YWT. I was on a board where one woman stated she would walk out of the concert in protest when he started singing. I think she was an idiot.

I am not religious in the conventional sort of way, but I couldn't help but be moved watching Clay sing that song to his God. Amazingly beautiful to me.

I also don't have any problem with anyone else who doesn't like him singing a religious song. I figure every person has a right to like or dislike a song without explaining or defending the reasons why. While I loved YWT, I couldn't tolerate some of his demo songs.

We only have song titles to go on, and maybe a few guesses of songs that other people have recorded. While I know a few of those songs on the list sound like they could be of a religious nature, we don't know if they are or how Clay will sing them. Grace of God could go a whole bunch of different ways. I'm guessing that Sacrificial Love won't be about an actual human sacrifice and sound like an Aztec chant either.

Clay Aiken has always given me surprises. I am thinking this CD will be no different. I am so stoked and ready. But then, I was always the kid who loved the wild rides at the amusement parks too. lol.

OK, I have GOT to stop clicking on random buttons....

I think I deleted the poll ha... Now let's see if I can do a new one... Ansa and LdyJ are going to talk smack about us!

OK there will be a poll redo..as soon as I stop stressing. Sorry.

You mean if we already voted our votes don't count?

What do you think this is, Florida? :cryingwlaughter:

eve better..cuz the supreme court won't be gettign involved heee

There's something about that on-the-floor picture of Clay - around his mouth - that reminds me of Harrison Ford. I have always loved him. There's just something about the almost smile that's reminiscent of HF to me. I'd do both of 'em . . .

if I were younger and more strength!

As Gladys Knight said "There's something magical about your look." There surely is. And his look is still magical through all the many changes in his appearance over these 5 years. I wonder if there is any other singer who has had so many photographs taken by fans. I wonder if there is any other singer whose fans have access to thousands of photographs of the person they so love and admire.

I have always been a HUGE fan of Barbra Streisand- never been lucky enough to see her perform in person though- but if I did, and she sang a song about her religious beliefs, I wouldn't be offended by that at all, nor would I feel that she had no right to sing them without a disclaimer or notice to anyone who might not be of the same faith. And yes, I even went to see YENTL! :cryingwlaughter: Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Well, have you ever heard Barbra sing Ave Maria? She does it better than anyone, IMO. I think most artists sing songs that they hope their audience/fans want to hear. She's had at least two Christmas albums.

She is tremendous, isn't she? I do have her first Christmas album. And isn't it funny how many Jewish singers have made Christmas albums?

OK, I have GOT to stop clicking on random buttons....

I think I deleted the poll ha... Now let's see if I can do a new one... Ansa and LdyJ are going to talk smack about us!

OK there will be a poll redo..as soon as I stop stressing. Sorry.

You mean if we already voted our votes don't count?

What do you think this is, Florida? :cryingwlaughter:

eve better..cuz the supreme court won't be gettign involved heee

('scuse me, are my chads hanging?)

I'm guessing that Sacrificial Love won't be about an actual human sacrifice and sound like an Aztec chant either.

I dunno..... that could really play into Kipper's comments about people going, "That's Clay Aiken??" :cryingwlaughter: